Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Levitate posted:

I don't lose them I just end up breaking them...I got some $60 polarized Suncloud's from REI that aren't great or anything but they're a step above real cheap poo poo but I don't feel bad if I break them.

I wear contacts and it's pretty annoying to have to deal with them in the backcountry but I'd rather do that than wear glasses all the time. I should just get eye surgery but it makes me kinda uneasy for stupid reasons.
I forgot to bring a spare contact on the JMT and almost lost one at Wanda Lake halfway through and was cursing myself over it but managed to find it in the grass.

I was wondering that too but realize it's probably the collapsable "pet" bowl you listed that you probably meant that you'd use for yourself.

Yeah, contacts make me slightly squeamish, also for stupid reasons, but I do much prefer glasses to contacts. It also negates the 'losing a contact' problem. Generally, when you buy rx sunglasses they come polarizing, scratch and shatter resistant, and pretty high quality sunglasses (unless you buy super poo poo sunglasses, in which case I'm sorry :( )
Downside: I have to bring a glasses case with me and keep the pair I'm not using (glasses during the day, sunglasses at night) in it. Well worth it to be able to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hungryjack posted:

As for the flip flops, I thought about getting some crocs so i can walk around with my socks on, but then again, I might just use these lightweight cheap throwaway Old Navy chanclas instead. Never once did I consider looking at another option there. Good call.[/list]

I think crocs are ugly as sin but they make great camp shoes especially compared to do flops. They're very light, they don't get wet, and when walking they're more comfortable in my opinion than flip flops. I prefer crocs over flip flops because they're more comfortable/secure/protective and would be more comfortable to wear if something terrible happened to your shoes. I just clip them on to the outside of my pack. Also its easier to wear them with socks than flip flops at night when the weather cools down. Just my 2 cents

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Verman posted:

I think crocs are ugly as sin but they make great camp shoes especially compared to do flops. They're very light, they don't get wet, and when walking they're more comfortable in my opinion than flip flops. I prefer crocs over flip flops because they're more comfortable/secure/protective and would be more comfortable to wear if something terrible happened to your shoes. I just clip them on to the outside of my pack. Also its easier to wear them with socks than flip flops at night when the weather cools down. Just my 2 cents

Crocs can also be great for crossing streams.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

I just figured you took your dog everywhere.

Well, you're right for the most part. And if I could take my dog on this, I sure as hell would.

Verman posted:

Everything you said is true. I'll be bringing ugly lightweight comfortable crocs :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

I was in the same club when I was a student. But I learned that buying one expensive item is cheaper than buying a cheap item repeatedly because it keeps breaking. Also, if the expensive item is poo poo, I can return it because REI is awesome.

I don't think even $300 sunglasses will survive getting crushed in my back pocket, or dropped into the water, or any of the fates that usually befall my sunglasses. Sunglasses and watches are two things I cannot seem to not destroy. I do want a slightly better pair of polarized glasses for fishing, but like something in the $25 range.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went for an 8.5 mile hike yesterday with my wife, her coworker and my dog. It was the longest hike we've done this year by 4 miles so it was fairly exhausting by the end. The weather was great, it was sunny in the high 50s in the morning and maybe low 70s by mid afternoon when we returned. The first 2.5 miles were flat, the last 2 miles were constant switchbacks climbing 2000 feet. I think there were 45 continuous switch backs according to wta.

Two beautiful lakes, snow capped mountains and sweet smelling cedars. Not a lot of hikers so it was a great hike. My trail runners felt great compared to boots. So much lighter and just as comfortable. The only thing is that I played hockey the night before (1130pm-1am) so when we finished the hike my IT band in my right leg was killing me. Only started feeling it on the last mile. I've only ever had IT issues on really long bicycle rides (200+ miles) but this was my first time related to hiking even after my backpacking trips.

1.5 hours in the car let it shrink right up and by the time I got home I struggled getting to my doorstep. Funny how a few quick stretches completely eliminates the pain for a while.

gently caress, getting old sucks. I'm not even that old but all those years of cycling, hockey, skateboarding and snowboarding is starting to show its toll on my body.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Verman posted:

I went for an 8.5 mile hike yesterday with my wife, her coworker and my dog. It was the longest hike we've done this year by 4 miles so it was fairly exhausting by the end. The weather was great, it was sunny in the high 50s in the morning and maybe low 70s by mid afternoon when we returned. The first 2.5 miles were flat, the last 2 miles were constant switchbacks climbing 2000 feet. I think there were 45 continuous switch backs according to wta.

Two beautiful lakes, snow capped mountains and sweet smelling cedars. Not a lot of hikers so it was a great hike. My trail runners felt great compared to boots. So much lighter and just as comfortable. The only thing is that I played hockey the night before (1130pm-1am) so when we finished the hike my IT band in my right leg was killing me. Only started feeling it on the last mile. I've only ever had IT issues on really long bicycle rides (200+ miles) but this was my first time related to hiking even after my backpacking trips.

1.5 hours in the car let it shrink right up and by the time I got home I struggled getting to my doorstep. Funny how a few quick stretches completely eliminates the pain for a while.

gently caress, getting old sucks. I'm not even that old but all those years of cycling, hockey, skateboarding and snowboarding is starting to show its toll on my body.

Beautiful scenery, man. What area's that, if I may ask?

IT band poo poo sucks, normally when I feel it is after a lot of impact-heavy work, i.e. kicking a heavy bag for a while, then doing jump squats / jumping onto platforms, poo poo like that. Though my bod might be weird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Greider lakes. Its about an hour and a half east of seattle in washington state. With a very summery spring, and a hefty winter snowpack still in the higher elevations, a lot of day hikes are super crowded on weekends, especially nice days so I tried to pick a relatively obscure hike to avoid the crowds.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

In my own personal experience Desolation Wilderness isn't too crowded unless you do the Echo Lakes to Aloha Lake portion of the Pacific Crest Trail, which is always packed in spring/summer. I've hiked other trails during prime hiking season and it wasn't so bad. Maybe I've been lucky.

The busiest place in Desolation I've been was through Wright's Lake. You couldn't go for more than 30 minutes without seeing someone. But by far the most crowded place I've ever gone was above Minarets Lake in Ansel Adam's at Cecil and Iceberg Lake, which makes no sense considering the southwest trail isn't on the map, and requires climbing up a near vertical rock cliff and the north trail is over miles of boulders marked by horribly placed cairns and also has a vertical wall crumbling rock. I didn't like that day of hiking.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I Am Not Spor posted:

The busiest place in Desolation I've been was through Wright's Lake. You couldn't go for more than 30 minutes without seeing someone. But by far the most crowded place I've ever gone was above Minarets Lake in Ansel Adam's at Cecil and Iceberg Lake, which makes no sense considering the southwest trail isn't on the map, and requires climbing up a near vertical rock cliff and the north trail is over miles of boulders marked by horribly placed cairns and also has a vertical wall crumbling rock. I didn't like that day of hiking.

hah, weird, I know that area is popular but even when I camped at Garnet lake in August it wasn't that bad. I was planning on staying at Minarets Lake on a trip this July and coming by way of Garnet, Iceberg, Cecil lake, etc. Guess we'll see how crowded it is.

Part of the price to pay for the pretty area I guess. I'll be more annoyed if I see a ton of people on the Sierra High Route later this year

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Levitate posted:

hah, weird, I know that area is popular but even when I camped at Garnet lake in August it wasn't that bad. I was planning on staying at Minarets Lake on a trip this July and coming by way of Garnet, Iceberg, Cecil lake, etc. Guess we'll see how crowded it is.

Part of the price to pay for the pretty area I guess. I'll be more annoyed if I see a ton of people on the Sierra High Route later this year

It's a fun hike so for sure do it, just pretty tiring, and Minarets is absolutely gorgeous. I'd try going UL if you can or make sure you pack your pack exceptionally well because you'll be doing some climbing and jumping and balancing.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Hungryjack posted:

Hikers, I'd like your thoughts. Keep in mind, this is still a work in progress, but I'm starting my planning for what to take on my late August High Sierra Trail trip. Seven days, no resupply on the way, and we're always near water so i don't imagine we'd need to have more than a day's worth at any given time. Five of us hiking. Estimated temperature ranges from the 40s to the high 60s.

https://lighterpack.com/r/auxf3r

Right now, I'm in the process of paring down some of the fluff (I took a much more casual camping list as my baseline for this) and I'm going to need to add the weight for the food we intend to bring. If you guys want to nitpick details, I'm game, but mostly I want to make sure I don't overlook any thing critical.

I use basically this setup for adventures in the sierras: https://lighterpack.com/r/c0dhpr

Sometimes I'll swap in a pillow or an extra layer if I'm worried about the cold or or the cooking system with a jetboil if I don't want to bother with fuel but it holds up well. Don't be afraid to limit how much you bring. I enjoy hiking fast and hate the backpack part of backpacking so I cut as much as possible.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Quick question for you guys - do you use any purpose built bags or pouches for organization within your pack beyond the basic "put things that need to stay dry in a dry bag"?

I'm looking specifically for a lightweight, durable-ish bag that opens up nicely so I can access contents without having to dump the whole thing on the drat ground to use as a first aid kit. I've had some success finding bags that already have first aid kits stocked, which I don't need at all, and also in military IFAK pouches, but I don't need it to be bombproof, MOLLE-strapped, or so drat heavy for just a bag. Ideas?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Sounds like a job for a Pack Ray Sil Stuff Sack. Weighs basically nothing and I use them for in bag organization, even if I don't need the waterproofing. http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-887/mec-pack-rat-sil-stuff-sacks/?bc=10/50042/50668

I would also consider packing cubes for this.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

With Sport Chalet selling everything I'm hoping they'll still have the Marmot Limelight 3P or Tungsten 3P when they mark things down even more. Right now they're 20% off but I wonder if I'm pushing it to wait for 30% off.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Quick question for you guys - do you use any purpose built bags or pouches for organization within your pack beyond the basic "put things that need to stay dry in a dry bag"?

I'm looking specifically for a lightweight, durable-ish bag that opens up nicely so I can access contents without having to dump the whole thing on the drat ground to use as a first aid kit. I've had some success finding bags that already have first aid kits stocked, which I don't need at all, and also in military IFAK pouches, but I don't need it to be bombproof, MOLLE-strapped, or so drat heavy for just a bag. Ideas?

A ziplock bag? Lightweight, cheap, and see through. You don't even have to open it to see the contents and it's the perfect use for a ziplock.

Or else cuben fiber stuff sacks like the ones sold at any cottage outdoor store:

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ultralight-stuff-sacks-pack-pods.html
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cuben-fiber-stuff-sacks/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I like Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter stuff. Very lightweight, durable, far less expensive than cubes fiber stuff I've looked at.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SplitDestiny posted:

I use basically this setup for adventures in the sierras: https://lighterpack.com/r/c0dhpr

Sometimes I'll swap in a pillow or an extra layer if I'm worried about the cold or or the cooking system with a jetboil if I don't want to bother with fuel but it holds up well. Don't be afraid to limit how much you bring. I enjoy hiking fast and hate the backpack part of backpacking so I cut as much as possible.

Right on! I'd definitely be up for traveling smaller/lighter and putting in 20-mile days if I was doing this solo or with another runner. These aren't those guys :) You have some nice lightweight gear. Aside from just leaving things behind, I'm kind of at the point where I need to decide whether I want to eschew a perfectly-good and reasonably-weighted item like a pack or a bag in favor of an expensive ultralight item. I'll probably cherry-pick those things as the opportunities present themselves. I'm even thinking about picking up a collapsible carbon fiber fly fishing pole and a lure so I have something to kill time with by the lake in the afternoons.

The one problem I'd really like to solve is the hammock + tent problem and it's only a problem because I won't give up the hammock. Lawson makes a hammock that doubles as a bivy for times when there is nothing to hang it from. I'm still exploring that option.

Also food, but we'll cover that as things develop.

I just use Sea to Summit sil sacks for the little stuff like clothes. Cuben fiber is nice, but when I'm already weighing in at 1 or 2oz, how much lighter do I need to go with a bag?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have a sack that I store all of my non-snack food in, but that's about it. It's really only to keep my stuff in the bear lockers today. Can't stand it when people throw all their food loose inside and make a huge mess.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

I just use Sea to Summit sil sacks for the little stuff like clothes. Cuben fiber is nice, but when I'm already weighing in at 1 or 2oz, how much lighter do I need to go with a bag?

Ounces add up. An ounce here and an ounce here will eventually lead to a pound. I agree that saving .25 ounces with cuben is silly.

I'm all for cutting weight when it makes sense and is financially feasible. The easiest and cheapest 2.5 ounces I ever saved was switching out my plastic orange poop trowel for a titanium trowel.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tigren posted:

Ounces add up. An ounce here and an ounce here will eventually lead to a pound. I agree that saving .25 ounces with cuben is silly.

I'm all for cutting weight when it makes sense and is financially feasible. The easiest and cheapest 2.5 ounces I ever saved was switching out my plastic orange poop trowel for a titanium trowel.

I tell this to my friends all the time. Unless you are in peak condition losing a pound of excess body weight will be infinitely better than spending a ton of money to save a few ounces on gear.

Spent a good chunk of my afternoon looking at all of my pictures from my week long Zion trip a few years ago. Really makes me want to get out for a week at a time again. Instead I'm stuck doing three day weekend trips for foreseeable future. Hopefully I get up to the boundary waters at least once this summer.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So I got my darn tough socks yesterday.

I really don't wanna take them off.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I got my darn tough socks yesterday.

I really don't wanna take them off.

Now I'm getting excited for mine to come in :dance:

Hungryjack posted:

The one problem I'd really like to solve is the hammock + tent problem and it's only a problem because I won't give up the hammock. Lawson makes a hammock that doubles as a bivy for times when there is nothing to hang it from. I'm still exploring that option.

Caveat entirely depending on where you hike, but I'd be shocked if you were completely incapable of finding a place to pitch a hammock drat near anywhere that isn't the desert or way above the treeline. If anything, 99% of the time it's easier to find a hammock spot than a tent spot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He's planning to hike the High Sierra trail so above tree line is something that happens, but it might be possible to plan out campsites that are low enough for trees.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

I plan to piss more frequently so the milliliters of urine in my bladder don't slow me down.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

I plan to piss more frequently so the milliliters of urine in my bladder don't slow me down.

Don't forget to spit every few meters. Don't want to weigh yourself down too much.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

Don't forget to spit every few meters. Don't want to weigh yourself down too much.

Leave no trace (of spit)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hike naked to cut down on cloths weight

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Levitate posted:

hike naked to cut down on cloths weight

If you do this aerodynamics becomes a HUGE factor, you'll need a full body shave to really get the full benefits. Plus, depending on how hairy you are, you'll save a few ounces too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

makes pissing on the go much easier too

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Levitate posted:

makes pissing on the go much easier too

That's what hiking skirts are for.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

That's what hiking skirts are for.

Cuben fiber hiking skirts.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

This has been an excellent hiking garment: https://sportkilt.com/product/1051/Hiking-Kilt-Black-Stewart.html

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Cuben fiber hiking skirts.

As long as it doubles as a shelter and a poncho, I'm in.

https://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

That's gotta be so noisy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yep, still wearing this Darn Tough socks.

Testing them out with my hiking boots at work.

Yep. Love 'em.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So apparently telling people I know about my crazy endeavours in the mountains is a mistake, because now a coworker of mine is convinced that he can climb a serious scramble overnight with zero experience just because I did. I've been arguing with him for days that he is not prepared for this because he hasn't even done a single summit during the daytime and the one he wants to do has major exposure, cliffbands, and downclimbs that most people need to be extremely careful of even during the day. I fear that he thinks it's easy because I'm a woman and since I did it twice, he can do it no problem. He said to me that getting lost was part of the adventure, and I told him the story of a guy who went missing on a hugely popular trail that I took part in searching for and he is still missing 5 years later, and that he needs to respect these mountains. I worry that this guy is going to ignore all my advice, mostly because he has two young kids and it's not unheard of of inexperienced people disappearing or dying here and if these kids end up fatherless because of my comments, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I told him that too. He keeps brushing off my concerns as emotional overreacting. I'm pretty sure this idiot is going to get killed because he thinks whatever I can do, he can do better. Pisses me off. I'm at a loss now. Hopefully he'll take my advice to start with an easy peak that has no chance of causing death with one misstep rather than what he thinks is going to be easy. Maybe if he tries that one, he'll get just far enough to realize "Hey, this is actually serious and I'm chickening out" and turn back without consequence.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

So apparently telling people I know about my crazy endeavours in the mountains is a mistake, because now a coworker of mine is convinced that he can climb a serious scramble overnight with zero experience just because I did. I've been arguing with him for days that he is not prepared for this because he hasn't even done a single summit during the daytime and the one he wants to do has major exposure, cliffbands, and downclimbs that most people need to be extremely careful of even during the day. I fear that he thinks it's easy because I'm a woman and since I did it twice, he can do it no problem. He said to me that getting lost was part of the adventure, and I told him the story of a guy who went missing on a hugely popular trail that I took part in searching for and he is still missing 5 years later, and that he needs to respect these mountains. I worry that this guy is going to ignore all my advice, mostly because he has two young kids and it's not unheard of of inexperienced people disappearing or dying here and if these kids end up fatherless because of my comments, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I told him that too. He keeps brushing off my concerns as emotional overreacting. I'm pretty sure this idiot is going to get killed because he thinks whatever I can do, he can do better. Pisses me off. I'm at a loss now. Hopefully he'll take my advice to start with an easy peak that has no chance of causing death with one misstep rather than what he thinks is going to be easy. Maybe if he tries that one, he'll get just far enough to realize "Hey, this is actually serious and I'm chickening out" and turn back without consequence.
Others' recklessness is not on you. You've done what you can.

Chances are he's going to realize right quick that he's in over his head.

Picnic Princess posted:

He keeps brushing off my concerns as emotional overreacting. I'm pretty sure this idiot is going to get killed because he thinks whatever I can do, he can do better.
This is so precious.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I look forward to the post death update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Send him down here, our parks are tiny with excellent cell coverage.