Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Cool chapter in which nothing happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

jsoh posted:

Dorne.txt

As far as I can tell there's only one Arianne chapter that could be said to have things happening in it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

All the show talk and no one else is annoyed that Jon peaced out from Castle Black with nothing but a shirt and skinny jeans?

His watch is ended. He's only going as far as the brothel in town.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

jsoh posted:

And it is actually a chapter that he has read before. Still no new chapters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody gives a poo poo about wild cards you fat turd.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This chapter felt like knock-off Lord of the Rings. Describing nature with a checklist but not actually caring about it. Disappointing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody gives a poo poo about wild cards you fat turd.

Or Dorne.

Thanks for giving us a chapter I might skip over when the book comes out. Just what I wanted.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Cavelcade posted:

This chapter felt like knock-off Lord of the Rings. Describing nature with a checklist but not actually caring about it. Disappointing.

This kind of thing is irresistible to him. There is a place on the map that no one has gone. There has not been a description of the land. There has not been a description of the heraldry. No names of the ruling families. No chance to introduce new characters and mystery. That's all he wants to do at this point because making all the other places and people and things come together to make a coherent story is too hard.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I liked the chapter overall, although it wasn't great. I enjoyed the exploration of the terrain, I enjoyed the sense of being on a spy mission, I found it an interesting look at the golden company, I liked the cavern exploration (actually wish there was a bit more of consequence there). In terms of moving the story along, we hear about an army from King's Landing coming to meet (f)Aegon, that's something. I didn't like the bit where the young sand snake was fooling around with Feather, felt a bit easy and cheap. Some of the writing felt a bit easy overall. I'd give it a C+. It's not -that- bad people.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CountFosco posted:

I liked the chapter overall, although it wasn't great. I enjoyed the exploration of the terrain, I enjoyed the sense of being on a spy mission, I found it an interesting look at the golden company, I liked the cavern exploration (actually wish there was a bit more of consequence there). In terms of moving the story along, we hear about an army from King's Landing coming to meet (f)Aegon, that's something. I didn't like the bit where the young sand snake was fooling around with Feather, felt a bit easy and cheap. Some of the writing felt a bit easy overall. I'd give it a C+. It's not -that- bad people.

A C+ isn't awful, but I don't want to read a C+ story and the way this chapter was written doesn't make me optimistic. There's no need for so much of it, and even worse than that, it's boring. It should just have started in the castle or with them meeting Mudd and Chain. .

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CountFosco posted:

It kind of explains how Bran and Bloodraven can see in the south. There's caves full of their bullshit below everything even though the weirwoods themselves were cut down.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It mentions there are wild weirwoods too but presumably they need a face for the old gods to act through them

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

CountFosco posted:

I liked the cavern exploration (actually wish there was a bit more of consequence there).

GURM rolled for encounter and came up empty.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The show has killed my capacity to keep track of or care about minor houses and random bullshit. So I can't follow all these minor Dornish lords, or their bastards, or the geography of the Stormlands or whatever, its just, I can't muster enough to care about it anymore.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mike N Eich posted:

The show has killed my capacity to keep track of or care about minor houses and random bullshit. So I can't follow all these minor Dornish lords, or their bastards, or the geography of the Stormlands or whatever, its just, I can't muster enough to care about it anymore.

Watch a few Preston Jacobs videos. Random bullshit and minor houses is literally how he makes his living.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

is...

:effort:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Always a good sign when an author talks about a series he hasn't written a full book for in over a decade as an annoying burden

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It's not like he can't go the Tom Clancy route and just get a ghostwriter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

poo poo, I was in the middle of reading the new chapter when my browser crashed, and now the site won't reload. Anyone care to copy/paste?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

poo poo, I was in the middle of reading the new chapter when my browser crashed, and now the site won't reload. Anyone care to copy/paste?

He didn't remember being captured.

Jaimie struggled against his bonds but found the act fruitless. He was surprised to find that he still had his golden hand on. How did they capture him?

He saw his men lying on the ground, dead or dying. His squire Peck was tied to a tree and Sir Payne was tied to his horse. Why kill everyone and us these three?

The men who now had control of his camp were everywhere. They wore bright yellow armor and had a signet of a dragon rapped around a tree. Odd. He had never seen armor like this before. What was going on?

Jaimie saw the smallest man walking towards him. At first, for half a second, he believed it too be Tyrion but this man was unbelievably shorter than Tryion he was. His body was covered in the same strange yellow armor and helmet but with a red strip across his chest.

"Hmm hehehe. Kinslayer!" The short yellow man said.

"Do I know you?"

"Oh brotha, don't tell me you've forgotten me already?"

Startled, Jaime gasped. "Impossible. You're supposed to be dead!" He whispered hoarsely.

"MMmm hmhmhmhmmmm! I'm a lot harder to kill." The yellow man lifted off his helmet and revealed a face he hadn't seen in 15 years.

"Winnie the Pooh!" Jaime said disbelieving. "My father destroyed your house 15 years ago."

A pink armored man came up beside Pooh. He could only be none other than Sir Piglet. "Oh D-d-d-dear-dear! You shut your mouth Kinslayer! The 100 Acre Wood lives on in the hearts of those who still remember!"

"Your house is dead and the memories as well. All I see is a bunch of broken animals."

"Bastard!" Piglet pulled out his sword.

"No Piglet. Death is too easy. I want to savor my revenge. I'll have my revenge! Tigger, bend him over!"

"That's what tiggers do best!"

"Afraid of me even now Pooh? Why don't you fight me, single combat? Too cowardly to fight a cripple?"

"No..." Pooh pulled down his breeches. His magnificent golden penis stood in the air like a golden statue. It made his golden hand look like dull copper. "I prefer to make you suffer!"

Jaimie's breeches were pulled off. "You bastard..."

"You'll enjoy this as much as I will."

He remembered what he had told Brienne that day. When it happened, you had to go inside yourself. Endure.

All thoughts left his mind when Winnie the Pooh shoved his ten inch penis inside Jaimie Lannister's rear end.

Jaimie screamed louder than he had when his hand was cut off. In some ways, this was far, far worse. Winnie the Pooh was loving him in the rear end!

And too his shame, this was also far, far better than times with Cersei.

Winnie the Pooh pumped Jaimie from behind like a wild animal. It was both horrible pain and addictive pleasure. He didn't know whether he was moaning from his tearing rear end or the pulsing pleasure.

Out of no where, Kylaer, Dendra, and Bummey walked in the clearing. They saw Jaimie Lannister, looked at each other in confusion, than backed away slowly into the unknown.

Jaimie gasped. The pressure from his rear end was gone. He was already missing the pleasure. He had time long enough to see Sir Payne getting raped from behind by Piglet before his line of vision was cut off by Winnie the Pooh's massive member.

"You moan too much..." Before Jaimie had time to reply, his mouth was penetrated. He resisted at first, but found himself not resisting hard. It was so wrong, but felt so, so right.

It was over fast. He felt Pooh shudder and release his seed in Jaimie's mouth.

"*cough* Dear god... it... *cough* taste like honey." It was the most wonderful taste he had ever tasted.

"Kinslayer... you are now my wife." Pooh announced.

"Yes..." Jaimie wheezed and swallowed.

"You are going to live a long time Kinslayer." Winnie the Pooh shuddered. "Only you remember my true identity. Only you remember my real name."

"Winnie the Pooh..." Jaimie said slowly. "Targaryen!"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ruddiger posted:

edit: lol, snipered by Hogge Wild.

Woodpile fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 11, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It talked about Rape and had food descriptions.. what else did you want?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

jsoh posted:

It mentions there are wild weirwoods too but presumably they need a face for the old gods to act through them

I don't think they need faces for someone to see through them. I think the faces were carved later as a bit of a warning or reminder "hey, if you're near this tree, someone is watching you."

I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think the children of the forest carved the faces, it was men, wasn't it? Which means that the faces aren't really necessary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't think they need faces for someone to see through them. I think the faces were carved later as a bit of a warning or reminder "hey, if you're near this tree, someone is watching you."

I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think the children of the forest carved the faces, it was men, wasn't it? Which means that the faces aren't really necessary.

ice and fire wiki says it's the children who carve them

quote:

Legends say the children of the forest were gifted with supernatural powers and magic; having power over the beasts of the wood, the ability to wear an animal’s skin, the skill to create music so beautiful as to bring tears to the eyes of any who heard it, the greensight ability (although maesters believe that the greensight was not magic, simply another kind of knowledge) and the ability to speak to the dead.[10] It was the children who carved the faces on the weirwoods to keep watch over the woods.[11] They believe that their wisdom had something to do with the faces in the trees.[11] The children of the forest believed that the weirwood trees were gods, and when they died they became a part of them.[2]

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dangerllama posted:

All the show talk and no one else is annoyed that Jon peaced out from Castle Black with nothing but a shirt and skinny jeans?

He also came back to life with gaping wounds that weren't bleeding. Sure a bunch of this stuff can be chalked up to bad writers but there's also plenty of speculation that a side-effect of his revival is that the magic keeps him from getting cold, similar to Melissandre's ability.

davecrazy posted:

It's not like he can't go the Tom Clancy route and just get a ghostwriter.

He's too much of a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat to do that though.

Or he'd pick someone even worse than him. Imagine if he handed the series to Patrick Rothfuss. The guy is even actively not giving a gently caress about his next book too.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

He also came back to life with gaping wounds that weren't bleeding. Sure a bunch of this stuff can be chalked up to bad writers but there's also plenty of speculation that a side-effect of his revival is that the magic keeps him from getting cold, similar to Melissandre's ability.

I assumed that as well.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I watched the ToJ scene on youtube, and I think it's supposed to be the Sword of the Morning and Ice.

Look, it has a sun on it

Looks kinda like Ice from season one, except shorter, and thinner, and duller

edit:

It's the same version of Ice they used in the promo pictures

edit2: The swords name is Dawn. I haven't read the book it was last mentioned in since 2003

Anders fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The sword of the morning and the sword of the time when you're hungry but it's still a bit too early for lunch.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The sword of the morning and the sword of the time when you're hungry but it's still a bit too early for lunch.

The Sword of Brunch

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Sword of the 9 o' clock coffee break

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I love it how he publishes a chapter for the first time in a year which is the same chapter he read out loud a year ago and his main concern is that people will somehow assume that he has finished the books rather than that he has not written anything in well over a year.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I like Preston Jacobs, I really do, but I fear he's not yet realised his precious book version, so superior to the show, will never exist.

He will learn.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The Sword of Second Breakfast Now Available At Denny's

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
spoilers for the rest of the season were just posted and although they obviously veer in a different direction than the booka there are some things of note such as

the origin of the Others......which is hilarious

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol its dumb enough I believe it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I hate myself, so... link?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, link, plz

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=459764179#post459764179

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

lol Reddit posted:

Intro

Today, GRRM released a (not-so-brand) new chapter on his website: TWOW, Arianne II. (This chapter was completed in 2010 and was originally read at Worldcon 2011, so it's not new really) He also provided a brief update on his TWOW progress on his notablog.:

You want to know what the Sand Snakes, Prince Doran, Areo Hotah, Ellaria Sand, Darkstar, and the rest will be up to in WINDS OF WINTER? Quite a lot, actually. The sample will give you a taste. For the rest, you will need to wait.

And no, just to spike any bullshit rumors, changing the sample chapter does NOT mean I am done. See the icon up above? Monkey is still on my back... but he's growing, he is, and one day...

The chapter thread has a lot of pessimistic comments that this is a bad sign of progress for TWOW, but I have the exact opposite take. This is relatively positive sign of progress on GRRM's part. In fact, it's the most positive thing that GRRM has said about TWOW since 2014. Let me explain!
Things GRRM Confirmed

Before we get into why this is positive, just a few things that GRRM confirmed, semi-confirmed and implied:

Areo Hotah will return, almost certainly as a POV character
Given that we'll find out about Darkstar and Ellaria, I think we're going to see it from Areo's POV.
TWOW, Arianne II is done. What I mean by this is that GRRM typically reads chapters at conventions to solicit feedback on the chapters from fans (for instance the ADWD Prologue and ADWD, Jon II) if he's not entirely sure on the direction of the chapter. For ADWD, Jon II, he inserted the famous "Edd, fetch me a block" after fans told GRRM in 2008 that Jon would take after Ned and execute Janos himself. Here's what GRRM said about the ADWD Prologue:

FWIW, I have always found convention readings to be very valuable, especially when I’m doing a chapter than I’ve never read before. - GRRM, notablog, Back from Indianapolis, 7/11/2007

Now, here's something that might be a bit controversial, but... I think that GRRM released this chapter for similar reasons that he released the Alayne chapter last year: he's showing how ASOIAF will be very different from GoT. In this case, I have to wonder how pleased GRRM is with GoT's treatment of the Dorne storyline.

Progress, Real Progress

All right, here you go: this is a super positive step for TWOW's progress. Yes, GRRM said that he wanted TWOW out before S06, and was bummed that it wasn't. However, here, GRRM said something substantial about his TWOW progress:

And no, just to spike any bullshit rumors, changing the sample chapter does NOT mean I am done. See the icon up above? Monkey is still on my back... but he's growing, he is, and one day...

Why is this positive? For one, GRRM isn't just "hopeful he can get it out." It sounds like he's making real progress on writing TWOW. The last time he said something this hopeful was back in 2014 when he released the Mercy chapter. Then, he said:

So far, I have not done anywhere near as much rewriting on WINDS... but of course, it is not done yet. - GRRM Comment, I Broke the Internet, 3/28/2014

So, GRRM is making progress. It's not done (obvs), but it's getting closer, and that's positive!
Conclusion

Just for reference, back in November 2010, GRRM read a partial of ADWD, Davos II. This was about 6 months out from his completion of ADWD. Is it possible that GRRM is 6 months from finishing TWOW? Yes, I think so. In fact, this would line up with my previous estimate that GRRM will release TWOW in early 2017.

Will he though? Time will tell.

P.S. If you want to read every last scrap of info that I've collected on TWOW (well up to September 2015, it needs to be updated), check out my Complete Winds of Winter Resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is just stupid enough to be true.