Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

canyoneer posted:

Ultimate Adventure seems a better name

Wow

They won't get many repeat customers with that business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Utmost Adventures is doing the world a favor.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...2a8372eb786500c

article posted:

NINE Nepalese guides have summited Mount Everest, becoming the first climbers in three years to reach the top after two successive natural disasters.

Nepal Mountaineering Department official Gyanendra Shrestha, who is at the base camp, said the group reached the 8850-metre peak on Wednesday.

Sherra Gyalgen Sherpa reached the top of Everest at 5.05pm (9.05pm Wednesday AEST), said Ang Tshering Sherpa, chief of the Nepal Mountaineering Association.

The Nepalese Sherpa guides are hired by expeditions to carry equipment and fix ropes on the icy and rocky slopes for the use of the foreign climbers.

Nearly 300 foreign climbers and their guides are attempting to reach the summit from Nepal this year. Many are expected to succeed as favourable weather is forecast this month.

May is the most popular month to climb, coming between the harsh winter and dangerous monsoon season.

Nepal is hoping for a safe 2016 season on Everest, after an avalanche triggered by a powerful earthquake killed 19 climbers and injured 61 others at base camp last year. In 2014, 16 Sherpa guides were killed by an avalanche above the base camp.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redacted

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 12, 2016

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Reset your death counts. The Sherpas saved the Slovaks.

http://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/sherpas-rescue-slovakian-climbers-everest-avalanche/

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm saddened by the news

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats pemba gyalje sherpa up to these days he did insane stuff if the summit was telling the truth

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

whats pemba gyalje sherpa up to these days he did insane stuff if the summit was telling the truth

He's got a website. He apparently is running his own business doing some treks and minor summits, and also training climbers.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

9 more to go :(

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

9 more to go :(

dusted

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Makalu claimed two Sherpas though :(

http://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/nepal-mountaineering-two-sherpa-guides-killed-mt-makalu/

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

The article says that 2 trekkers died in the everest region "earlier"

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Welp the white man-free Everest streak is over.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/05/12/climbers-reach-top-mount-everest-for-first-time-in-two-years.html?ICID=ref_fark

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 12, 2016

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Here's a profile of a Sherpa woman who's summitted more than any other woman in the world. Story is equal parts awesome and :smith: just so you're warned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wow, they're the first people to summit in two years!

Except for the Sherpas who did it a couple of days ago :ssh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

webmeister posted:

Wow, they're the first people to summit in two years!

Except for the Sherpas who did it a couple of days ago :ssh:

Whats the odds they boast to their friends exactly this and totally downplay the Sherpa bit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Outrail posted:

Whats the odds they boast to their friends exactly this and totally downplay the Sherpa bit.

Probably, though 2 of the 3 westerners seem pretty experienced climbers (nearly 20 summits between them) so maybe not.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
not only that but there was an unsatisfactory friday lunch in lalitpur

http://thehimalayantimes.com/food/food-spies/unsatisfactory-friday-lunch/

quote:

But that is when all the trouble began. Waiting for our main course to arrive I looked around and saw cigarette butts littered all over the place. Some were carelessly pushed under our table. This littered sight put me off. Also, I had begun to notice that we were the only customers in the whole restaurant. Not to forget we had to ask for a candle just to get rid of the many houseflies around our table.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Who is this person? Why would you go to Nepal, order a Thai seafood dish and expect perfection? :psyduck:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

webmeister posted:

Who is this person? Why would you go to Nepal, order a Thai seafood dish and expect perfection? :psyduck:

If I throw enough money at the world it will bend to my will. Anything else is surprising and unsatisfactory.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Sounds like Friday morning summit attempts were largely successful:

quote:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2016/05/12/everestlhotse-2016-2nd-summit-wave-success/

After a few individuals, three foreigners and three Sherpas summited just after nine Sherpas fixed the route to the summit, the first commercial teams are seeing success on Friday morning, May 13, 2016

Himex sent their entire team up and are reporting that all six have summited along with at least that many Himex Sherpas. They had 5 members climbing, plus 1 guide and at least 6 Sherpas.

Jagged Globe has at least two climbers on the summit around 9:30 am local time. They were near the South Summit just past 8:00 am. They had four members plus at least that many Sherpas

At this point, the climbers are both elated and exhausted. Most arrived in the full light of the morning sun after climbing for 8 to 12 hours, mostly in the dark.

There will be hugs, smiles and definitely tears. Hopefully, no one forgot their cameras as selfies and poses with their Sherpa will be in order. The Sherpas will take a lot of pictures including of themselves. These days, the Nepal Ministry ask for a full picture from head to toe with your eyes and face showing to grant you a summit certificate.

In respect for the mountain, most people will not stand on the very top as that is where Miyolangsangma,the Tibetan Buddhist goddess lives.

Congratulations to all and safe climb back to camps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
These days, The Nepal Ministry ask for a full nude picture from head to toe with your eyes and genitals showing to grand you a summit certificate.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
If himex is pushing, there won't be problems. Now that they're out of the way, the blood bath can begin.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

atomicgeek posted:

Here's a profile of a Sherpa woman who's summitted more than any other woman in the world. Story is equal parts awesome and :smith: just so you're warned.

This is what gets to me. We list the fact that this is the first summit in two years and those "climbers" get their records, but what about the Sherpas? Where is the Guinness world record for "fixing X number of ropes to the summit" or "carried X number of lovely tourists up the mountain." For fucks sake even the news sources can't limit this elitist bullshit. Even the article sources below separates "climbers and guides" and Sherpas into separate groups. It even implies that every "climber" has their own Sherpa.

Every time I read about this insanely huge mountain the tourists getting dragged up if sound far less like extreme adventurers and far more like insecure egotistical goobers having a very expensive jerk off session.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need some kind of website that generates first "x to climb Mt Everest" stories. Everyone has done it now so stuff will have to be absurdly specific.
E.g. first Bulgarian one legged prostitute.
First Canadian HIV positive midget, etc.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

first sherpa with over $1b net worth of 'accidental' asphyxiations

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First disabled Trump Supporter from Wyoming to climb Mt Everest.

First Tasmanian Florist with Asthma to climb Mt Everest.

First Swedish quadriplegic actuary to climb Mt Everest.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

First goon to drop a sick burn on Mt Everest without supplementary oxygen

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
First Canadian woman of South Asian origin.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Something that will never be achieved unfortunately.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Diggin out the classics...

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Rondette posted:

Diggin out the classics...

lol.

I think first serial killer to summit everest is still open.

First serial killer to kill on everest too!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

She did actually make the top though. So it'd have to be:

First Canadian woman of South Asian origin to summit and return to base camp while not in a coffin

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

She did actually make the top though. So it'd have to be:

First Canadian woman of South Asian origin to summit and return to base camp while not in a coffin

To be fair most people agree that it's not really a successful summit if you don't make it back down afterwards.

complimentary soap
Nov 29, 2014
I climbed a 2500m mountain once was gonna be a guided trip where everyone are tied together so when u fall down some crack or something you should be saved.. maybe?

for some reason the guides never showed i had been waiting for a long time so i just said gently caress it and went to the top on my own, didnt even fall through the snow

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Microwaves Mom posted:

lol.

I think first serial killer to summit everest is still open.

First serial killer to kill on everest too!

Does it matter the order? Like to be first serial killer to summit do you have to already be a serial killer? Or can you summit and then take up serial killing and get the title retroactively?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Willing to bet a Sherpa Has taken the title unknowingly

Whether or not he has killed in the off season is debatable

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First son with a gay father climbs Everest, so what?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Jumpingmanjim posted:

First son with a gay father climbs Everest, so what?

the poop situation up there is already bad enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Paramemetic posted:

Does it matter the order? Like to be first serial killer to summit do you have to already be a serial killer? Or can you summit and then take up serial killing and get the title retroactively?

well, I guess you could get technical on it if ones already taken.