Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

For as long as I've loved True Love Waits, I've been certain he said 'To have your babies', rather than 'To have you be at peace'.

It sounds exactly like that in both versions. I can't hear 'be at peace' no matter how hard I try. They have such different connotations. :ohdear:

Where are you reading be at peace? Isn't it To have your babies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Steve2911 posted:

For as long as I've loved True Love Waits, I've been certain he said 'To have your babies', rather than 'To have you be at peace'.

It sounds exactly like that in both versions. I can't hear 'be at peace' no matter how hard I try. They have such different connotations. :ohdear:

But it's always been "to have your babies"? Is there an official lyric list somewhere that says otherwise..?

e agh didn't see you were already responded to

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A quick scan of lyrics sites has about 70% listing 'be at peace' or 'be at peace'. I assumed that was the accepted fact after looking at them more this week.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

"This dance is like a whale of self-defence against the president"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
"I'll have your babies" makes more sense considering he's talking about washing swollen feet, dressing up like their niece (?) and begging her to stay.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah I've heard that line both ways and like it either way so consider them kind of interchangeable, but I haven't quite figured out the niece part yet

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Re: the Gorillaz chat on the last page, I'll add that the first time I heard Identikit I thought it sounded like something Damon Albarn would do. Especially the bass line and ESPECIALLY the choir. They'd be some Mali community choir if it was him though.

It feels very Think Tank/Gorillaz self-titled era Damon.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 11, 2016

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this loving Pitchfork guy

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I remember years ago, thinking the lyrics were "and true love waits, it haunted all our days"

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

The lyrics really click with me, but I've kind of "been there," so to speak. The minimal guitar line that persists through the song is beautiful; the chord change / bass swell after the first verse is just stunning. "Deniiiial" from Yorke and Ed O'Brien proving, as always, that he's Radiohead's secret weapon with that "patiently burning" behind it. Pure love, pure beauty, pure gold.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I only care about Pitchfork's written reviews for Radiohead and Kanye West, because they ramp up the pretension for them.

Back in the day, either they were a hell of a lot worse, or there were just one or two guys consistently writing abysmally pretentious reviews. (I think one of them, possibly the writer of the Kid A review, was named Brent DiCrescenzo. I remember because his review of Beastie Boys' "To The Five Boroughs" mostly consisted of him announcing his retirement.)

These days, they're mostly pretty decent, but the Kanye and Radiohead reviews are kind of a throwback...

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Back in the day, either they were a hell of a lot worse, or there were just one or two guys consistently writing abysmally pretentious reviews. (I think one of them, possibly the writer of the Kid A review, was named Brent DiCrescenzo. I remember because his review of Beastie Boys' "To The Five Boroughs" mostly consisted of him announcing his retirement.)

These days, they're mostly pretty decent, but the Kanye and Radiohead reviews are kind of a throwback...

They brought it with their King of Limbs review. They could've notched the score down a full point, but the write-up was really good, I think.

The review for the new one (as y'all have said) is t r a s h.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Basically the only good review of the album I've read comes from non-Radiohead fan Carl Wilson (he likes it). Also his review of Life of Pablo is itself gem.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2016/05/radiohead_s_a_moon_shape_pool_is_prettier_when_you_take_the_band_less_seriously.html

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

Because it reminds me of that movie The Ice Storm.

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, it's not babies? Kids are garbage and all but the song was interesting to me for that line alone. You don't hear men say things like that often/at all.

The song is less interesting now... :(

thomas pynchon posted:

The review for the new one (as y'all have said) is t r a s h.

Paperback Writer posted:

this loving Pitchfork guy

No kidding, poo poo's hilarious.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because it reminds me of that movie The Ice Storm.

Wait, it's not babies? Kids are garbage and all but the song was interesting to me for that line alone. You don't hear men say things like that often/at all.

The song is less interesting now... :(

It's babies, go listen to the I Might Be Wrong version again. Internet is poo poo at transcribing lyrics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For reference: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

quote:

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

edit: Just realized that whole stupid paragraph is about a song that isn't even on the freaking album he's reviewing, haha

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2016

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

quote:

The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax.

:allbuttons:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This, on a never ending loop, like an ouroboros trapped inside a zoetrope

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A recursive human centipede

In a cage

On antibiotics

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress that review.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

For reference: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

edit: Just realized that whole stupid paragraph is about a song that isn't even on the freaking album he's reviewing, haha

Just unreal.

Also unreal. :rock:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kalensc posted:

When it first came out, I saw reviews praising it as a love song and saying that was all part of the softer, warmer Radiohead, but, uh, I don't know how they get that from that chorus.

In terms of energy, it goes into Jigsaw pretty well, from quiet arrangement to something more twitchy.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

My In Rainbows playlist has dropped House of Cards

actually really improves the pace of the album!

anyway, AV Club review is up, as pretentious as the Pitchfork one, they gave it a B

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

What's with these reviews? Is it critics proving they are real aficionados by only praising Radiohead at its most inaccessible and experimental (not that AMSP isn't experimental in a low-key way)? The fan consensus is that the album is cohesive and musically and emotionally satisfying and often beautiful. Even if you think album X or Y is more "important", it seems perverse to mark down AMSP on that basis.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like House Of Cards because it's a very pretty song (despite the subject matter). Maybe even a nice song to play at the beach! Which probably also means it doesn't belong on a Radiohead album.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's with these reviews?

When huge records are released reviewers freak out and ramp up their literary prose in an attempt to make names for themselves - when's the next time a million people will read one of their reviews? The vast, vast majority of album reviews go mostly unread.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 12, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pop music journalism is also usually really lovely but it's even worse on the web without editors.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the subject matter of house of Cards?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Who cares. All I can think about when I hear it is the tv show, which i've never seen.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the subject matter of house of Cards?

An extramarital affair, I assume.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

An extramarital affair, I assume.

I thought it was about swinging?

Edit: or whatever the british term for it is. Spousey-sharey.

Edit 2: Some other bloke's bird?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Swinging is the British term, I think

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's definitely about swinging, "throw your keys in the bowl, kiss your husband goodnight." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_sex#Key_party

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I bought the album Monday and tried to listen to it in the car on the way home from work, but there's so much going on at times that it doesn't do it justice. Subsequent listens were a lot better and I'm really digging it now. I'm so glad someone else noticed the similarities in the guitar between The Numbers and Talk Show Host. That clicked for me as soon as I heard it.

Also I was at the beach last weekend and listened to both In Rainbows and HttT multiple times. :colbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've only listened to this album a few times, but I like it. Good strings.

Sir Lemming posted:

I like House Of Cards because it's a very pretty song (despite the subject matter). Maybe even a nice song to play at the beach! Which probably also means it doesn't belong on a Radiohead album.

Radiohead has a lot of songs that are nice to play at the beach. Like, the entirety of The Bends.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Thom: "There's another song called 'House Of Cards' - that's my personal favourite. It reminds me a lot of that tune by Fleetwood Mac - Albatross, which I absolutely love. House Of Cards sounds satisfying, really mellow and summery..."

Q: "All adjectives you don't normally associate with Radiohead."

Thom: "I know (laughs). We're more associated with terms like 'electronic', 'neurosis', 'madness' and 'hosed-up beats'."

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I love House of Cards. The outtro is a bit long though.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The issue with House of Cards is unlike a lot of other songs on the album, it just stays at the same level the entire song. It's got nice lyrics and the music is pretty decent, but it's just kind of boring.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Am I the only one who hears thunder on Identikit? It might just be bassy drum hits EQd to sound like thundercracks.

Anyway. Dig this, you cats. I seem to have been born with reverse Radiohead genes, because I loved TKOL, but I merely like AMSP. I've listened to it a few times, and I still find it kind of blurry and smudgy and difficult to get a clear view of. That's obviously the point, but still... several of the tracks just run together for me. I can never remember, for example, which song is Desert Island Disk and and which is The Numbers; they are both "folky Neil Young acoustic guitar things with strings". Likewise there are several dreamy piano ballads: Daydreaming, Glass Eyes and True Love Waits. The songs seem to use the same arrangements, with all those strings and the improvised overdubbed twinkling pianos in the left and right channels, and the lack of rhythm. (As I wrote before, the lack of rhythm is one of the things I really miss, and maybe that's why I love TKOL so much.) Only Burn the Witch, Ful Stop and Identikit really stand out in clear definition to me.

True Love Waits leaves me cold. I'm not sure why. It's a song I used to strum on acoustic guitar myself, many years ago, but I'd long made my peace with it and would have been happy to never see it resuscitated. I suppose it would never have worked as anything other than a minimal ballad, but I just find the album version... bland, flat. It's a song that should feel like a relief, a relaxing of tension, but it just sucks all the energy out of the room for me.

I do love Ful Stop though. Why? It's got driving syncopated Radiohead rhythm section. I suppose that might be all I ever wanted. How disappointing of me. edit: same with Decks Dark.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Am I the only one who hears thunder on Identikit? It might just be bassy drum hits EQd to sound like thundercracks.

Anyway. Dig this, you cats. I seem to have been born with reverse Radiohead genes, because I loved TKOL, but I merely like AMSP. I've listened to it a few times, and I still find it kind of blurry and smudgy and difficult to get a clear view of. That's obviously the point, but still... several of the tracks just run together for me. I can never remember, for example, which song is Desert Island Disk and and which is The Numbers; they are both "folky Neil Young acoustic guitar things with strings". Likewise there are several dreamy piano ballads: Daydreaming, Glass Eyes and True Love Waits. The songs seem to use the same arrangements, with all those strings and the improvised overdubbed twinkling pianos in the left and right channels, and the lack of rhythm. (As I wrote before, the lack of rhythm is one of the things I really miss, and maybe that's why I love TKOL so much.) Only Burn the Witch, Ful Stop and Identikit really stand out in clear definition to me.

True Love Waits leaves me cold. I'm not sure why. It's a song I used to strum on acoustic guitar myself, many years ago, but I'd long made my peace with it and would have been happy to never see it resuscitated. I suppose it would never have worked as anything other than a minimal ballad, but I just find the album version... bland, flat. It's a song that should feel like a relief, a relaxing of tension, but it just sucks all the energy out of the room for me.

I do love Ful Stop though. Why? It's got a driving syncopated Radiohead rhythm section. I suppose that might be all I ever wanted. How disappointing of me.

I'm sort of in this boat. A part of me knows it's a good album, but it's the type of thing I'd listen to in autumn. TKoL was released in spring and it definitively sounds like spring, and it's what I want to hear right now. I think they should've cooked AMSP a bit longer because while a lot of the material on the album is strong the order of the tracks is pretty lame.

I've also been listening to Amnesiac a lot more these days, my favorite, and I'm just absolutely stuck on I Might Be Wrong. I've been listening to that album for more than a decade now but I'd never listened to that song on nice headphones before....HOLY COW, it's like night and day, I will never be able to unhear the intricacy of those arrangements now. What the gently caress was I doing all this time?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 13, 2016