Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That intro...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love you Keith David

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh John

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Hey John? STOP DATING YOUR THERAPIST

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

It's too late for this advice

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I wonder if that string of 1s and 0s will be explained in the episode or if they expect that people will work it out from a screen grab (which would be pretty drat cool)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JossiRossi posted:

I wonder if that string of 1s and 0s will be explained in the episode or if they expect that people will work it out from a screen grab (which would be pretty drat cool)

It's binary for "JOHN STOP DATING YOUR THERAPIST"

(I actually don't like to complain about this aspect of the show because even though it's a very, very bad idea, I understand why they're drawn to each other anyway.)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I kinda wish John just whispered, "Neeerrrd." into the ear of the Robert Frost quoting CIA operative.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat, eye recognition? He's good

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

drat, eye recognition? He's good

Well, yeah, he's Keith loving David.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is the Machine just going to start making Reese face all of his past sins now or something?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So it's the reversea reprise of that one time the machine had Root protect that janitor? The one who used to be in IT before she murdered her way through his office?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 11, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Oh man that hard rocking theme variant that just played was kick rear end.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

"In this episode, we cook up an excuse to drop our worst plotline"

much appreciated, show.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 11, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Thank god he did.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Goddamn though, that new intro is fuckin sweet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hope Beale returns

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hope Beale returns

I hope he returns in a scene where you see him interrogating someone at some CIA black site, and the prisoner is remaining stubbornly silent, and then the camera swings around and it's Control.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hope Beale returns

I want him to realize that Greer is bad news and we get him and Reese shooting up Samaritan agents :black101:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Beale has to be a reference to the Beale Ciphers, right? Names in this show are loaded with references.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Well someone at CIA didn't do the job right if top secret information was stored on a secret network.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You'd really think they'd have done a better job burying that seriously bad information. You'd expect those records to be dead and buried and not just available to some third party contractor. It's not like he was just DOD googling his brother, he managed to find the brief on the operation itself. Keith David was amazing in this too :swoon:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Keith David is always appreciated. New opening credits sequence with Samaritan added is was awesome. Nice to see Kara back for a flashback, I always thought they dropped the ball with her plot line.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One thing I'm not clear on is why they are all basically okay to walk around in the open again and sort of back to normal numbers operations just because the Machine is back online. And this may just be me not remembering something fully or the answer may be "it's a TV show don't think too much."

I remember for awhile they were safe from Samaritan because Root had installed that virus that made the facial recognition decide they were unimportant. But I don't really remember how that got wiped out while the Machine was down or why it's now safe again. Is it just that the Machine maintains their cover identities? That would make sense for Root, but it seems like John's cop cover is fully blown by now. Or was Samaritan manually tracking them all this time and the Machine interrupts that? But then the tracking should have been gone once they got in a dark area like the underground? Or is the facial recognition virus that Root installed into Samaritan somehow dependent on the Machine?

Am I just thinking too much?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

StarkRavingMad posted:

One thing I'm not clear on is why they are all basically okay to walk around in the open again and sort of back to normal numbers operations just because the Machine is back online. And this may just be me not remembering something fully or the answer may be "it's a TV show don't think too much."

I remember for awhile they were safe from Samaritan because Root had installed that virus that made the facial recognition decide they were unimportant. But I don't really remember how that got wiped out while the Machine was down or why it's now safe again. Is it just that the Machine maintains their cover identities? That would make sense for Root, but it seems like John's cop cover is fully blown by now. Or was Samaritan manually tracking them all this time and the Machine interrupts that? But then the tracking should have been gone once they got in a dark area like the underground? Or is the facial recognition virus that Root installed into Samaritan somehow dependent on the Machine?

Am I just thinking too much?

The virus is still there, in the premiere Samaritan had to track them manually using stuff like the briefcase and the shotgun root was carrying because they were still effectively invisible to it once they got out of sight and manual tracking lost them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zaggitz posted:

The virus is still there, in the premiere Samaritan had to track them manually using stuff like the briefcase and the shotgun root was carrying because they were still effectively invisible to it once they got out of sight and manual tracking lost them.

So then why was Root unable to go outside while the Machine was down? Is she just a particularly identifiable target without the Machine because it's been doing rotating identities on her for so long or something?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Myself, I think I missed why Samaritan is unable to track the Machine now, as it was for like the entirety of season 4. I guess because Samaritan doesn't know it's back online or something? But I would have thought it would be like something something recognizing its code signatures in the internet.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

StarkRavingMad posted:

So then why was Root unable to go outside while the Machine was down? Is she just a particularly identifiable target without the Machine because it's been doing rotating identities on her for so long or something?

The machine maintained her covers exclusively, because they were fluid. the rest are all hardwired into the samaritan virus.

raditts posted:

Myself, I think I missed why Samaritan is unable to track the Machine now, as it was for like the entirety of season 4. I guess because Samaritan doesn't know it's back online or something? But I would have thought it would be like something something recognizing its code signatures in the internet.

I think it's because he machine is is in a centralized location samaritan isn't aware of now, instead of being spread all across the power grid like it used to be. Not 100% sure though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I wanted Reese to track that new number in his bowling league shirt.

Also:

Zaggitz posted:

The machine maintained her covers exclusively, because they were fluid. the rest are all hardwired into the samaritan virus.

I think it's because he machine is is in a centralized location samaritan isn't aware of now, instead of being spread all across the power grid like it used to be. Not 100% sure though.

Lair internet setup:
Finch hand waved it as IP address/network spoofing via splicing into the underground NYC Metro network cables & underground local burrough internet cables surrounding the subway station lair in the 2nd or 3rd episode of season 4.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 12, 2016

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Caviezel is killing it this season. Reese is even Reese-ier than usual. When we've watched these last two episodes we've found ourselves laughing at the delivery of a majority of his lines, he's just got that weird dude line delivery down perfectly. It's a joy to watch. I admit I used to think he was the weak link in a show full of otherwise fabulous actors but I was totally wrong.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zaggitz posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm just glad they sent Iris back to her home planet instead of fridging her. Although yeah, wow that was a super pointless plotline, but I guess it means that Zoe Morgan can flirt with John again.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm just glad they sent Iris back to her home planet instead of fridging her. Although yeah, wow that was a super pointless plotline, but I guess it means that Zoe Morgan can flirt with John again.

Except she's trapped in a post-apocalyptic future on The 100. :smith:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The way I see it, nothing much has really changed. John's police cover was never blown, and presumably Finch's wasn't either. Samaritan had them in its sights, but once it lost track of them, it couldn't find them again so long as they're careful. (Root is a special case, as previously discussed, but Samaritan had to track her indirectly too.)

I am a little curious why Greer doesn't use his pull with the intelligence community to get their photos circulated among law enforcement or whatever the old fashioned way, but maybe Samaritan is a jealous god.

I have no doubt that Samaritan is still looking for them and for the Machine, but they still have ways to hide.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Samaritan couldn't see Reese or Finch as Reese or Finch, it was looking at them, seeing them improperly identified and manually tracking them via briefcase/gear and movement from Camera to Camera. When Samaritan lost track it reacquired them via the equipment.

The curious question is why didn't Samaritan realize that it's classification system was malfunctioning and not recognizing Finch/Root/John were actually threats and rewriting their profiles as threats. And if it was unable to rewrite their cover profiles as threats, why it didn't realize that it was malfunctioning.

Which means: It's either Samaritan isn't realizing it's having problems, or it has realized the problem and is trying to figure it out. Greer or someone else should probably be or is already aware that they can't rely on Samaritan to find them, and this should be more curious now that the Machine is dead (as far as they know) and they still can't find them. I could buy that they were having trouble following them courtesy of interference on the Machine's part, but it should be an obvious issue to Greer and Decima that their all-seeing god can't actually see all.

I'm really hoping that this comes up later, because I can't help but feel that aside from finding Team Machine to kill them, and finding terrorist targets to put down, finding the blindspot in Samaritan must be a pretty big loving thing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpookyLizard posted:

Samaritan couldn't see Reese or Finch as Reese or Finch, it was looking at them, seeing them improperly identified and manually tracking them via briefcase/gear and movement from Camera to Camera. When Samaritan lost track it reacquired them via the equipment.

The curious question is why didn't Samaritan realize that it's classification system was malfunctioning and not recognizing Finch/Root/John were actually threats and rewriting their profiles as threats. And if it was unable to rewrite their cover profiles as threats, why it didn't realize that it was malfunctioning.

Which means: It's either Samaritan isn't realizing it's having problems, or it has realized the problem and is trying to figure it out. Greer or someone else should probably be or is already aware that they can't rely on Samaritan to find them, and this should be more curious now that the Machine is dead (as far as they know) and they still can't find them. I could buy that they were having trouble following them courtesy of interference on the Machine's part, but it should be an obvious issue to Greer and Decima that their all-seeing god can't actually see all.

I'm really hoping that this comes up later, because I can't help but feel that aside from finding Team Machine to kill them, and finding terrorist targets to put down, finding the blindspot in Samaritan must be a pretty big loving thing.

They actually bring this up in 4x10, the samaritan kid says it thinks the machine did something to it but can't figure out what or how. Basically it knows there's a problem but literally has no idea where to look for it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

They actually bring this up in 4x10, the samaritan kid says it thinks the machine did something to it but can't figure out what or how. Basically it knows there's a problem but literally has no idea where to look for it.

that's probably why I don't remember it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Reese-isms are through the roof and I am loving it. This final season so far has exceed my wildest dreams. Welcome back Harold with a hammer. Root remains adorably crazy. Fusco stays awesome on the outside.

Episode 3 really knows how to pull your levers with Reese's number.

Big Brown Bag.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zaggitz posted:

Sometimes brain damage patients are without metacognitive awareness of the disorder.

If someone who took a hit to language processing is woken up by a nurse, they might roll over and say, "Because because because there there," thinking they just said this great sentence, looking at them and waiting for a response, before remembering their condition. This person would be lacking metacognition regarding the disorder.

Or, say, an AGI that can't perceive its own tiny face-blindness issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

docbeard posted:

The way I see it, nothing much has really changed. John's police cover was never blown, and presumably Finch's wasn't either. Samaritan had them in its sights, but once it lost track of them, it couldn't find them again so long as they're careful. (Root is a special case, as previously discussed, but Samaritan had to track her indirectly too.)

I am a little curious why Greer doesn't use his pull with the intelligence community to get their photos circulated among law enforcement or whatever the old fashioned way, but maybe Samaritan is a jealous god.

I have no doubt that Samaritan is still looking for them and for the Machine, but they still have ways to hide.

I'm guessing that the more people know to look, the more people there are to question what's going on. That's why Samaritan is building a cadre loyal to it. It can trust Greer and several hundred others, and manipulate one or two people at the right place and time with the right motivation. But enough people would get suspicious if you suddenly issue arrest warrants for individuals people know as a quiet, but decent cop and a math professor. At least enough to move along a line of possibility that Samaritan assesses to be non-preferable.

• Locked thread