Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When you get banned you lose all your features when you respawn for :10bux:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Are there any known issues with HDMI in the mid-2014 MacBook Pro? I've got the retina 13", and some times when I plug an external monitor in it'll get all static-y and not work, or on occasion even kernel panic and restart. I don't know if it's an issue with the laptop, display, or the software, and a cursory Google search isn't helping much.

beefnoodle posted:

it works, although I think the battery doesn't hold a charge. Yours for shipping. PM me to get the ball rolling.

Hey, I just sent you a PM about both laptops if you haven't already found a buyer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can anyone identify this old PCI sound card that's pictured in this G3:

It's looks like a 2 in, 2 out and 2x SPDIF but I can't find the make/model. Going through the obvious m-audio legacy items doesn't show anything with 6x RCA jacks. What could it be?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
M-Audio of some kind?

gently caress - I remember when Creative Labs tried to make the SB Live! work with Mac OS classic.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Can anyone identify this old PCI sound card that's pictured in this G3:

It's looks like a 2 in, 2 out and 2x SPDIF but I can't find the make/model. Going through the obvious m-audio legacy items doesn't show anything with 6x RCA jacks. What could it be?

Oh, found it. It's a digidesign audiomedia iii. Looks like it got bought by avid. Very old school card.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

mentholmoose posted:

Are there any known issues with HDMI in the mid-2014 MacBook Pro? I've got the retina 13", and some times when I plug an external monitor in it'll get all static-y and not work, or on occasion even kernel panic and restart. I don't know if it's an issue with the laptop, display, or the software, and a cursory Google search isn't helping much.

I think I had that several times with varying monitors/TVs. Projectors weren't affected. Retina 13", the first generation I think, so 2013-2014. It works often enough that I haven't bothered going to the fruit stand yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Make sure you're not outputting a resolution too high for the external monitor over the HDMI cable

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

beefnoodle posted:

I pulled 2 old Macs out of my basement. Need to get rid of them before we move at the end of the month. Is either useful to anyone somewhere, or should I just take them to electronics recycling?

•12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz PowerPC, 1.25GB RAM (yes, I know it's obsolete, but maybe someone has a need?)
•17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz Core2Due 8GB RAM

I'm a dumbass who should have looked in the box before posting. It's a 15", not a 17".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

I'm a dumbass who should have looked in the box before posting. It's a 15", not a 17".

I was serious about the Powerbook earlier btw. I don't have PMs but I would like it if it isn't already spoken for.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Weedle posted:

I was serious about the Powerbook earlier btw. I don't have PMs but I would like it if it isn't already spoken for.

I'm not selling them, I'm giving them away. (I'm pretty sure that's within the rules here.) Send me your info to beefnoodle at comcast . net

Weedle
May 31, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

I'm not selling them, I'm giving them away. (I'm pretty sure that's within the rules here.) Send me your info to beefnoodle at comcast . net

Email sent!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
P-P-P-P-POWERBOOK

....ah, memories :allears:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just bought a 450mhz G3 blue and white. Should be a days worth of fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone should convert one of those g3 iBooks into toilet seats for children

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone should convert one of those g3 iBooks into toilet seats for children

Poop through the apple?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't get me started on the Mac Pro

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm contemplating just stripping off all the plastic and bolting 2 shop handles to the top of my G3.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm contemplating just stripping off all the plastic and bolting 2 shop handles to the top of my G3.

:perfect:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I really wish the last Mac Pro tower and the HP Z8xx series would have a babby.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

beefnoodle posted:

If that's not spoken for, I'll take it off your hands.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Both machines are spoken for. Thanks everyone!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm still rocking a 2007 MBP C2D with 4GB(max) although its not my primary by any means. About the oldest thing that will take 10.11 and still works fine for every day stuff and then some.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What ever happened to the Apple keynote recordings from 2006 and prior? All I can find are crappy VHS quality transfers on YouTube. Nothing official. Did Apple lose their masters? It would be a trip to watch those in HQ.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WARNING : Effort post about the 2016 rMB

So, I'm on the tail end of a trial run of using a 2016 rMB to replace my 2014 rMBP as a daily driver. Based on the benchmarks I've seen, I decided to try the m5 with the 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

Conclusion: The rMB is replacing my rMBP. Everything I did on the rMBP I can do on the rMB with no or minimal change.
  • Office 2016 is just as snappy in my opinion. Larger spreadsheets may take an additional 5 or 10 seconds to open, but once the files are open I've had no perceptible lag.
  • My python scripts don't seem to be affected in terms execution speed, but then again I'm not crunching huge data sets. Mine are custom network utilities I've written so my bottlenecks are usually external to the computer.
  • The programs I was worried about, like VMWare and Omnigraffle seem to have no problems either. Launch times are a little longer, but not enough to be irritating. Once loaded, I've not noticed any perceptible lag.
  • I haven't had to reduce the number of "on logon" programs lurking on my menu bar either. I'm still have the following active with no impact: Fantastical2, Duet, Cisco AnyConnect VPN, DisplayMenu, Bartender2, Alfred 2, Moom, f.lux, Box sync, OneDrive sync, 1Password Mini, TotalFinder, and Total Spaces 2.
  • PyCharm launches slower (recurring theme), but once loaded I haven't had any noticeable issues.
The things I needed to adjust to:

The Keyboard - VERY annoying the first couple of days. Sometime on day 3 my brain and fingers were "retrained" and now I have no issues with the keyboard.

Touchpad - I found "clicking" was very sensitive. Again, like the keyboard it didn't take very long to get accustomed to it.

Screen Real Estate - because I more or less have an upper limit of 1440x900, I'm using many more desktop spaces than I normally do. Total Spaces 2 makes this pretty much a non-issue, since I over-rode three finger swiping to allow me to navigate 6 Desktops in a grid with looping.

I have found when using PyCharm, I need an external monitor for anything but quick revisions. I use the Apple Digital AV Multiport adapter. I tried a couple cheaper off brand adapters with similar features, but they were universally poo poo with external monitors. I'm also use it with my iPad Pro and Duet which works VERY well.

Memory - I did have to dial down the resource usage in terms of memory for my VMs, but again since that was just a value I pulled out of my rear end when I set them up I don't think it'll be an issue. I don't use or need them in scenarios where I need a lot of resources like that.

SIP - In order to get Total Spaces 2 (and Total Finder) to work, I did have to disable SIP. I know in future releases of OS X (or MacOS as I think they're going to start calling it) we've been told that option is going away. However, the new lead programmer for Total Finder and Total Spaces recently posted in the Binary Age Forums that he thinks he's solved the SIP issue with Total Finder and the solution will probably work with Total Spaces. So disabling SIP is probably temporary.

All in all, I'm very happy with this thing. For me the screen is just right for most work. And I love how slim and light this is. Is this for everyone? Probably not, especially developers who need some serious heavy lifting by the CPU or greater than 8GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are you using the 13" or 15" rMBP? What's your battery life on the rMB like in comparison?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Are you using the 13" or 15" rMBP? What's your battery life on the rMB like in comparison?

I was using the 2014 15" rMBP with the Nvidia video (760m I think). I bought way more machine than I needed. I kind of miss the 15" screen, but between monitors at home and work or my iPad Pro using Duet for a more mobile solution, I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would. I'm going to end up wiping the 15" rMBP and gifting it to my dad, who can use it for his photography stuff.

Battery life has been killer so far on the rMB. Over the last week, I've only plugged it in to charge when it hits around 20% and it's always been in the evening before I go to bed. The rMBP had great battery life, but I'd never make through the day without plugging it in like I have so far with the rMB.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Publicly apologizing to Bob Morales for backing out on him. My wife claimed the MBP for her sister. Sorry, buddy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Publicly apologizing to Bob Morales for backing out on him. My wife claimed the MBP for her sister. Sorry, buddy.

Can't complain about not getting something for free :)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well the good news is that mac sales have fallen off such a ginormous cliff that they kind of have to make some serious changes now. Finally some decent upgrades or price cuts on the way?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well the good news is that mac sales have fallen off such a ginormous cliff that they kind of have to make some serious changes now. Finally some decent upgrades or price cuts on the way?

This is industry wide, though. In fact Apple declined less than competitors like Lenovo and HP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It just means the first revision MacBook Retina was too expensive for people, and everyone else was waiting for Skylake. And other people are still fine with their 2013 machines.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2012 iMac still feels powerful and I have no intention of upgrading until it dies. It does have a quad core i5 so I can't imagine most laptops becoming faster anytime soon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is Moore's law still in effect? It felt like the switch from platter drives to solid state got around a bottleneck but that's been the last big development rather than incremental bumps. We're now back to the stage where 5 year old, decent hardware still feels pretty drat speedy and it's hard to find an excuse to update.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just read an article about Moore's Law being pretty much dead/over at this point. IMO it's been that way for some time, whenever the focus switched from pumping up GHz to multi-core SoCs with reduced die size each new iteration (2011 or so?)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is Moore's law still in effect? It felt like the switch from platter drives to solid state got around a bottleneck but that's been the last big development rather than incremental bumps. We're now back to the stage where 5 year old, decent hardware still feels pretty drat speedy and it's hard to find an excuse to update.

Not really. It depends. Moore said lots of stuff, including that it'll slow down. And it has, and Intel has admitted to that. Architectural improvements have led to incremental compute power increases, but in terms of pure things like feature width, the cadence has slowed. Applications have gotten larger, which makes them I/O bound, which is why SSDs were such a game-changer, but CPUs are not taxed fully with common workloads. They've fanned out to multiple cores, HyperThreaded, as I'm sure you're aware, but developers have a hard time taking advantage of this. So while overall performance with a fully parallel workload has been steadily increasing due to architectural improvements, single-thread performance has stagnated.

I would find nothing wrong with using a 5 year old Intel CPU.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

We're starting to hit actual physical limits in how much we can cram into a wafer so yeah.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Plus, outside of like CAD or video or some other niche field, the i7 produced in 2011 is plenty fast for today's applications. I built a PC last year with the thinking that I was going to upgrade in a year or so, but really I have no need/desire to. Kind of sucks because I won't really be able to resell that bitch and the last year has reminded me how awful Windows is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah for most people's general usage things have been fine for a while. The GPU side of things could get interesting since they're just going from 28nm to 14/16nm this year finally, and to an extent the demands for more horsepower aren't stopping (big rear end high res displays, VR). There's other neat stuff like Optane storage and...uh I guess peripheral stuff w/TB or new wireless tech, but can't think of anything big CPU wise for normal folk. The most interesting thing there might be if AMD's Zen is actually competitive with post Sandy Bridge Intel as has been rumored.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yet I constantly peg my cpu with JavaScript and Excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Yet I constantly peg my cpu with JavaScript and Excel

What's that joke? A programmer had a problem, so he decided to use regular expressions, now he had two problems.

You have three problems. JavaScript sucks and Excel is not meant for doing any kind of heavy work, move that poo poo into MSSQL if you're a Microsoft shop and do SSIS workflows or just manually-run stored procs or something.