Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I don't like any of those. Everyone sounds so bored. I've never head the National before, but that guy a pretty hilarious voice. The War on Drugs song somehow manages to sound like every other War on Drugs song. I guess I like New Speedway, but I'd much rather listen to the original instead of someone sounding bored to be doing a cover of it. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BigFactory posted:

Well I don't like any of those. Everyone sounds so bored. I've never head the National before, but that guy a pretty hilarious voice. The War on Drugs song somehow manages to sound like every other War on Drugs song. I guess I like New Speedway, but I'd much rather listen to the original instead of someone sounding bored to be doing a cover of it. Oh well.

To me, it's missing the guitar presence big time. They've essentially stripped down the songs and there isn't really a "jam" element. I'd prefer listening to the originals than any of the ones they've released so far

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

http://pitchfork.com/news/64728-the-national-and-grizzly-bear-members-cover-the-grateful-deads-terrapin-station-listen/

Here's a new cover of the Terrapin Station Suite, and I find this to be the best of any they've released yet. The instrumentation is definitely point here, and the vocals are pretty decent.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Terrapin is so great, man it's one of my favorites.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
I think of all the ones in that post, Phosphorescent sounds the most like the Dead to begin with so the vibe fits, but man, it's not just the performers that sound bored but the recordings. No dynamic range, everything compressed to sound full and balanced, everything quantized and done to a click, even-tempoed and lacking any sense of wonder/drive/energy... there's no bombast, there's no soul. It's completely white bread. I listened through the first chorus of Sugaree, the rest I turned off almost as soon as the lead vocal came in. Sounds completely uninspired, I'd expect nothing less (or more, really) from the National. Bah.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I always sort of thought that the grateful dead had really, really solid and well written songs that would carry the band through lukewarm performances (or would really shine when the band was on), but maybe I was mistaken? Maybe the grateful dead was actually an incredible band that wrung every drop of energy out of a bunch of super boring songs? Thanks, The National.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

LordPants posted:

Me too, it's easily in my top 5 favorite Dead songs ever

The Terrapin Station cover is good, but the "Inspiration, move me brightly" part is really bizarre. The tempo is off and kind of kills the momentum of the song, but at least it picks up after that

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

LordPants posted:

Does anyone have a version they would recommend? I really like Terrapin on Dick's Picks 29, but admittedly I don't listen to sets from that era often

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sweet_jones posted:

Does anyone have a version they would recommend? I really like Terrapin on Dick's Picks 29, but admittedly I don't listen to sets from that era often

Me neither, it definitely stuck around though an was often a highlight of the often jam adverse 80s. I would wager there would be a dope version during their resurgence in the early 90s, maybe a Hornsby one.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

sweet_jones posted:

This isn't what you asked for but I like this Phish live cover, it's from 8/9/98 the third anniversary of Jerry's death and the crowd's reaction is :hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhd7MXwpLec

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Here's a nice long interview about the Dead with basketball great and Deadhead Bill Walton

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/GratefulDead/status/722489811051786240

sweet_jones posted:

http://headyversion.com/song/260/grateful-dead/terrapin-station/

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Just wanted to circle back and state that headyversion is a great site I didn't know about and that I've been listening to the first Terrapin show a lot since you posted the link.

Excellent version of that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgP8eoP1GH8

The rest of the set is great, these also hit that night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lzVi1mGTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJL1qH9J88I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCc00nvR2os

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I picked up the new release of the Grateful Dead July 8, 1978 show at Red Rocks (http://www.dead.net/show/july-8-1978), and it's incredible. The sound quality is excellent since it's from an old Betty board. The band themselves are in top form, and there's a ton of energy throughout the entire set.

If anyone was on the fence about getting this, get it - the second set is phenomenal with Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World, and then later with Wharf Rat > Franklin's Tower > Sugar Magnolia. It also has a killer encore with Terrapin Station > One More Saturday Night > Werewolves of London

I think it might also be on Spotify as well

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 19, 2016

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

LordPants posted:

I have or had (don't know where it is) that Dicks Pick from that run and it was gorgeous.

As nice as that Pick is, it doesn't even come close to capturing the best music from the Academy run. What music, you ask? Well, I guess it's time for a long overdue March 1972 post:

Before we get to that, though, I should mention the first show of 1972, January 2 at the Winterland. There was a raging New Year's Eve show two nights before, so this evening is somewhat lacking in energy, and the sound is not too great. There is, however, one sequence that's absolutely worth listening to, that being the Good Lovin'->China Cat->Good Lovin' 2nd set opener. I can't think of another show where they tried this particular combo, and the way they seem to spontaneously stumble into the transition is really neat.

There were no more shows until March 5, again at Winterland. This show is pretty bad by 1972 standards. The set is short, the performance is lackluster, and the existing recordings are poor, even with a C. Miller cleanup. The one saving grace is a very nice version of "You Win Again," and also a pretty good "Casey Jones."

Then we have the famous run of 7 shows at the Academy of Music (later the Palladium) in NYC. Intended to finance the upcoming Europe tour, these shows also provided the Dead a chance to practice the material they would be bringing across the pond. Fans of Europe '72 should enjoy the Academy shows a lot, since they both feature many of the same songs, like "Playing In The Band," "Cumberland Blues," and "Looks Like Rain," to name a few. The sound quality of the shows varies from good to excellent, and the performances are consistent enough that it's worth listening to every show if you have the inclination.

March 21 has a decent Truckin'->O1 jam, but the highlights for me are the "Cumberland" and NFA->GDTRFB->Saturday Night finisher.

March 22 features a pretty spectacular Sugar Mag->Caution->Uncle John's. The Caution jam gets far out.

March 23 is one of the top Academy shows. The only Dark Star of the run makes its appearance here, and the whole show is very well performed.

March 25 is a very weird show. This is the one featured in the above poster: a party, sponsored by the Hell's Angels, featuring the Dead and Bo Diddley. Bo plays a set with the Dead to start things off, and while they do a decent job of a few of his songs, it's pretty much a mess. I don't know if they didn't rehearse enough, or if some of the players had been having a bit too much fun beforehand, but whatever the reason, they're way off. It's worth listening to as a curiosity, but not really from a musical standpoint.

As if that wasn't strange enough, the 2nd set opens with the only "How Sweet It Is" ever, and features some other interesting rarities, like a very nice "Smokestack Lightning." To top it all off, they rip a 22 minute Lovelight, with some great jams and Pig raps.

March 26 is the best show of the run. Best sound, best performance top to bottom. The monster Truckin'->O1->Uncle->O1->Wharf Rat jam is fantastic stuff.

March 27 is another extremely solid show. "Playing" and "Good Lovin" are great on both the 26th and 27th, and there's a lot of funny banter and crowd interaction.

March 28 is the show featured on Dick's Picks 30, along with the Playing from the 27th and a few Bo Diddley tunes from the 25th. It's a good show, but the 23rd, 26th, and 27th are all better, so I dunno why it was chosen to be the one on the album.

Overall, an excellent set of shows, well worth your time. Next up, November. Probably. Eventually.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jerry has the pedal steel with him, right? There is some burning slide work on some sappy bobby ballads iirc

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

LordPants posted:

Jerry has the pedal steel with him, right? There is some burning slide work on some sappy bobby ballads iirc

Yeah, it gets a workout on "Looks Like Rain," which is indeed a very silly song. It can, however, sound really cool when they nail it, as they do on the 26th.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I picked up the new release of the Grateful Dead July 8, 1978 show at Red Rocks (http://www.dead.net/show/july-8-1978), and it's incredible. The sound quality is excellent since it's from an old Betty board. The band themselves are in top form, and there's a ton of energy throughout the entire set.

If anyone was on the fence about getting this, get it - the second set is phenomenal with Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World, and then later with Wharf Rat > Franklin's Tower > Sugar Magnolia. It also has a killer encore with Terrapin Station > One More Saturday Night > Werewolves of London

I think it might also be on Spotify as well

It is, and can confirm it is a burning show.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Saw a Let Trey Sing shirt the other day and haven't listened to anything but the Dead since. Someone just give me a few random dates they love. God I loving love summer

I wish Apple Music had more shows. I don't use my iTunes to load my phone with music but may have to

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Saw a Let Trey Sing shirt the other day and haven't listened to anything but the Dead since. Someone just give me a few random dates they love. God I loving love summer

I wish Apple Music had more shows. I don't use my iTunes to load my phone with music but may have to

Boston garden 10-01-94.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I love me some summer Dead.

Hollywood Bowl, June 17, 1972
PNE Coliseum, June 22, 1973
Freedom Hall, June 18, 1974 (officially released as Road Trips Vol 2. #3)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I love those quirky starts to the boards, when first it's an aud source, and then the board kicks in, but it's only like Kick/Snare + piano so you get like a really full dose of Keith noodlin' like crazy.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

I love me some summer Dead.

Hollywood Bowl, June 17, 1972
PNE Coliseum, June 22, 1973
Freedom Hall, June 18, 1974 (officially released as Road Trips Vol 2. #3)

Hell yeah \m/ gonna just listen to these today!! Commute already off to a good start jamming to 6/18/74 (road trips Bol 2 #3

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Cool seeing someone from the rap thread here. I've been jamming New Mexico 1977-10-07 lately.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-07.pset2-sbd.kiefe-fiske.1191.sbefixed.shnf

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

sweet_jones posted:

Cool seeing someone from the rap thread here. I've been jamming New Mexico 1977-10-07 lately.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-07.pset2-sbd.kiefe-fiske.1191.sbefixed.shnf

Hell yeah.

Quick Q about archive.org, is there a way to get the songs to play automaticaly when they end?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Roundabout answer: get Deadhead Archives app. It's super slick and not clunky like the website.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

drat. Don't think they have an iOS version

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Nvm. Archivist?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/ might help?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hell yeah \m/ gonna just listen to these today!! Commute already off to a good start jamming to 6/18/74 (road trips Bol 2 #3

6/18/74 is a monster show. I especially love the Eyes->China Doll.

Eyes->Big River from 6/16 is another delicious combo.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Well looks like I'm going to see dead and co at Fenway. Any expectations? I'm sure I'll have a good time

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Well looks like I'm going to see dead and co at Fenway. Any expectations? I'm sure I'll have a good time

If you aren't triggered by John Mayer, it's going to be awesome

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

John Mayer us cool

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't know if oteil Burbridge can sing but he still sings better than Phil these days.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Are you going Friday? I'm going that night

Hartford's show was pretty awesome, there was a ton of energy in the crowd and everyone seemed into it - young and old. My personal highlights were:

Mississippi Half-Step > Cumberland Blues
Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World (with an Oteil bass solo) > Deal > Viola Lee Blues
The Wheel
U.S. Blues

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I don't know! We're trying to figure it out now. I'm hoping for Saturday just so it's not right after work!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Going Saturday

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Going Saturday

Nice! Have fun :) These guys are at the top of their game right now

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Nice! Have fun :) These guys are at the top of their game right now

Unfortunately the game is playing grateful dead songs really really slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Unfortunately the game is playing grateful dead songs really really slowly.

Depends on the song, but I do see where you're coming from - like the 15 minute Black Peter from the Hartford show I just went to, which went a little too long imo

Regardless, I like Dead & Company more than Furthur or Phil Lesh and Friends (in my personal experience, having seen all three) - I feel like John, Oteil and Jeff bring a youthful energy to the band