Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

😞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

No. Only 44 apostrophes.
I wonder if you could hack 2K to give someone a 44-foot vert. That would be fun to see.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

my job is the same as cat barber's name...

he also just legitimately SHOOK GPII and has looked the best player out there. May rise to the first if he can maintain this performance.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

my job is the same as cat barber's name...

he also just legitimately SHOOK GPII and has looked the best player out there. May rise to the first if he can maintain this performance.

He's very very very quick

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's very very very quick
He has cat-like quickness, if you will...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

yet the nimble dexterity and hand eye of a barber

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Cat Barber should gay marry Thon Maker and become Cat Maker. He's also very fast and fun to watch but that's less important

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this draft deep enough that Toronto should keep both their picks if they're shut out of the top 3?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is this draft deep enough that Toronto should keep both their picks if they're shut out of the top 3?
I'm not convinced that late-lottery guys will be much different than early second rounders this year. There's some interesting guys, but not a lot of starter talent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I'm not convinced that late-lottery guys will be much different than early second rounders this year. There's some interesting guys, but not a lot of starter talent.

So if somebody offers a quality starter for Pat Patterson, both firsts, and cap filler, Toronto should go for it?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

So if somebody offers a quality starter for Pat Patterson, both firsts, and cap filler, Toronto should go for it?
I probably wouldn't want to trade out of this draft given the fact that so few teams have so many picks and the draft is so mediocre outside of the very top. Toronto is probably going to drop off a bit without Derozan and should prepare for the future. There are definitely good players out there, but most are projects or plug-and-play bench guys.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jay Bilas talking about how Ben Simmons might never learn how to shoot adequately. He's nineteen loving years old good lord. I hate draft talk sometimes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There's five machines that produce five things in five minutes. Now consider a hundred machines. How long does it take them to produce 100 things?

NBA execs are very tricksy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cool Buff Man posted:

Cat Barber should gay marry Thon Maker and become Cat Maker. He's also very fast and fun to watch but that's less important

or they could take eachother's names and become he could be Cat Barber-Maker

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kay Felder just beat Demetrius Jackson's vertical :stare:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

44" :monocle:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Kay Felder just beat Demetrius Jackson's vertical :stare:

New Nate Robinson found

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

as a fellow short mans I will root for him whereever he goes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would be extremely happy if an Oakland U product became a serviceable NBA player

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kay Fedler owns a lot

Georges Niang is playing well

He's insanely skilled but he's like 6'5", slow, and can't jump. Probably destined to be a euro legend but there are worse dudes to spend a 2nd rounder on

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 12, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everytime its said to be a bad draft outside of top 3, about 5 1st rders turn into legit players. I see that happening again. Not stars btw, just quality 4th or 5th best player types. Rooting for the cat barber.
Anyone else have a name that can double as a nickname?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Like half this draft lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN guys making GBS threads all over Skal right now.

Metapod posted:

Like half this draft lol
Diamond Stone #1 name prospect for 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would it be all that wild if Toronto picked baby Sabonis?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Would it be all that wild if Toronto picked baby Sabonis?

Not if they trade back, like, 15 spots

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Diamond Stone #1 name prospect for 2016

"Diamond Stoned" is also a good name for his own line of marijuana. we can sell it alongside Generational Talent.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Has Thon Maker done anything other than get measured yet? I need this shitshow in my life right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Has Thon Maker done anything other than get measured yet? I need this shitshow in my life right now.

He's not doing the 5 on 5 stuff but I dunno about drills

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

What if it's the opposite and Thon takes his last name. It'll be good to finally get someone to tend to all those nappy Thons

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN guys making GBS threads all over Skal right now.

Givony said he had one of the most impressive workouts he'd ever seen. Skal is going to climb the charts if he can keep that stroke up in workouts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

Everytime its said to be a bad draft outside of top 3, about 5 1st rders turn into legit players. I see that happening again. Not stars btw, just quality 4th or 5th best player types. Rooting for the cat barber.

No one thinks it's a good draft outside of 2 not 3. But that doesn't necessarily mean that people think it's all completely terrible players and that you can't find possible contributors, just that there arent a lot of sure things or potential stars beyond the top 2.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

No one thinks it's a good draft outside of 2 not 3. But that doesn't necessarily mean that people think it's all completely terrible players and that you can't find possible contributors, just that there arent a lot of sure things or potential stars beyond the top 2.

There are honestly a decent amount of intriguing guys from mid lottery onward, and then a few late first early second round guys. They all have big holes in their games, or they're raw, or they have arms as long as as oars and can't make a layup, but there seem to be some players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah there are lots of raw guys who could hypothetically be something with a lot of improvement (Skal) and some guys who seem like they could be rotation guys but not necessarily stars (Sabonis). But only two guys who seem like they have a halfway decent shot at being potential franchise guys, and even both of them have fairly significant holes

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Yeah i just meant in general theyll say its a 2 player draft and the rest is awful, this is the worst draft since whatever. Not here so much, though sa isnt without hype sometimes. Basically just saying that it seems like drafts that people are q bit down on turn out the Milsap's and Thomas' seemingly more, maybe im wrong. Also, i just like picks 20-60 coming out and surprising.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

There's five machines that produce five things in five minutes. Now consider a hundred machines. How long does it take them to produce 100 things?

NBA execs are very tricksy

I don't understand does it take the five machines collectively five minutes to produce five things so that each machine only makes one thing every five minutes or does each machine make five things every five minutes, and if they do make five things every five minutes are they producing at a constant rate or is it like at the end of five minutes five things pop out of one machine but before five minutes you have no things or does it accelerate or slow in thing production as the five minutes elapse? This question is worded poorly and I will not be joining your slipshod organization I'm joining Fenerbahçe Spor Kulübü'nün basketbol instead

edit: a thing was a machine

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 13, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

I just don't know if I like trying to gague draft classes based on what they look like on draft night, when you consider that many first-round picks are just 19 or 20 years old now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
that makes your participation in a thread about the draft very confusing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

that makes your participation in a thread about the draft very confusing
Huh? There's still plenty to talk about when it comes to who goes where, but it's just a lot harder to look at a prospective draft class and say "this group of draftees sucks" when some of them aren't even done growing yet. You can talk about it in terms of whether or not there's a lack of players at the top who project out to be superstars, but it's really just guesswork to try to figure out how anyone past the top five or six will work out because players are drafted so much younger now.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

Huh? There's still plenty to talk about when it comes to who goes where, but it's just a lot harder to look at a prospective draft class and say "this group of draftees sucks" when some of them aren't even done growing yet.

He's talking about raising epistemological concerns in the draft thread, there's no satisfying response to 'I don't want to judge them, yet.' They're being judged. They will be judged.

This is how I see it all.

1. The main body of NBA success, we can say the trunk, is size and athleticism, can this be observed and measured? Yes
2. The second, we'll call it the arms, of NBA success is skill, can this be observed and measured? Yes observed, Measured only to some degree
3. The legs of success are desire, will, can they be measured? Only in little slices
4. The head of success is ability to work as part of a team, this is something observable but it cannot be measured
5. The brain of success is the ability to learn new skills/improve existing ones, this is in no way measurable, it can only be 'felt' or guessed at.

So we have 2 very important factors which can be observed and measured, and 3 which are ephemeral. Scouts will measure what can be measured and feel what can be felt.

As for calling drafts good/bad/whatever, it's a product of draft coverage. If a draft is supposed to hold multiple guaranteed all stars, it's called good, if the fates of the players are up in the air, or if there is potential but no promise, then it's not called a good draft. That's it. It's a way of managing fan expectations. Paul Millsap was a second round draft pick, and yet every year about 27 second round picks do nothing in the NBA. We're knowing what we know and we're not knowing what we do not know.

• Locked thread