Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The tender/life boat hanging off the side there is larger and more luxurious than most things you'll find in a typical small scale marina and costs $4m alone. It carries two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Luna was sold to Roman Abramovich's close friend, Farkhad Akhmedov, for $400 million U.S. dollars in April 2014.[1] Akhmedov sent the yacht to Bremerhaven, Germany in October 2014 for an extensive refit of over $50m, delivery due December 2015. No public information is known about the details. [7]

By now it might be worth less though based on the difference between the original cost and the last price.

Edit, also from wikipedia:

"Fitted with an anti-missile system like its sister ship, Eclipse (yacht). All windows are bulletproof to B7+ levels. The steel hull is over 17.5 cm thick. LRAD guns, bomb-proof doors, FLIR."

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

The tender/life boat hanging off the side there is larger and more luxurious than most things you'll find in a typical small scale marina and costs $4m alone. It carries two of them.

I can't even imagine being wealthy enough to have a $500M boat. Like running costs/crew/maintenance has to be in the 8 figure range annually.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't even imagine being wealthy enough to have a $500M boat. Like running costs/crew/maintenance has to be in the 8 figure range annually.
Yeah it has 50 crewmen. As FrozenVent said on the previous page, calculate 10% of the purchase cost in running costs per year.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not really fair cause these things get chartered out most of the time anyway. I would assume the charter accounts for much of the costs.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I've been daydreaming about having a WWII submarine as a private yacht. They just look cool. (VIIC looks cooler, but would have to be a repro; American fleet boats you could probably still find an original for sale and fix it up, plus it's bigger and has A/C.)

Edit: also I currently live in a singlewide trailer house, so a VIIC would actually not require any of the space compromise one usually has to make to live on a boat! (I measured it. My house is exactly the same width as the pressure hull of a u-boat. And I'm rather short, so I could deal with rounded ceilings. Hell, the house has 7' ceilings, pretty sure the u-boat would actually be higher in the middle.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 5, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

I've been daydreaming about having a WWII submarine as a private yacht. They just look cool. (VIIC looks cooler, but would have to be a repro; American fleet boats you could probably still find an original for sale and fix it up, plus it's bigger and has A/C.)

If you'd asked about 20 years ago, I could have hooked you up. My dad was selling an Oberon for somebody. Going price was $450k in those dollars (i.e, about the scrap price)

Even bigger than a fleet boat but with another 20 odd years of technology, and cheaper than most houses!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Captain Postal posted:

If you'd asked about 20 years ago, I could have hooked you up. My dad was selling an Oberon for somebody. Going price was $450k in those dollars (i.e, about the scrap price)

Even bigger than a fleet boat but with another 20 odd years of technology, and cheaper than most houses!

Eh, too modern-looking for my tastes (because if you're going to have a u-boat yacht, might as well be a hipster).

:iiaca: My dad's first car was a '57 Bel Aire. At the time, he was ashamed be be seen in a ten-year-old car. Now he's kicking himself for selling it when he joined the Army in '69..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: also I currently live in a singlewide trailer house, so a VIIC would actually not require any of the space compromise one usually has to make to live on a boat! (I measured it. My house is exactly the same width as the pressure hull of a u-boat. And I'm rather short, so I could deal with rounded ceilings. Hell, the house has 7' ceilings, pretty sure the u-boat would actually be higher in the middle.)

I've had this daydream too. I'd love a sub.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Have you guys ever been on an actual sub? They are so full of crap, that even though the pressure hull measurements might make you think they are decent sized, in reality, they are cramped and tiny inside (subs of that era anyway).

If you are ever in San Diego, go to the Maritime Museum and for the $16 entry fee you can tour a Russian boat from the cold war era, and as US boat, the USS Dolphin, that was used for various experimental purposes. They are both just crammed full of equipment, and I am not sure how much of it could realistically be removed. It's really quite amazing how such a huge vessel can feel so small inside.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Have you guys ever been on an actual sub? They are so full of crap, that even though the pressure hull measurements might make you think they are decent sized, in reality, they are cramped and tiny inside (subs of that era anyway).

If you are ever in San Diego, go to the Maritime Museum and for the $16 entry fee you can tour a Russian boat from the cold war era, and as US boat, the USS Dolphin, that was used for various exp erimental purposes. They are both just crammed full of equipment, and I am not sure how much of it could realistically be removed. It's really quite amazing how such a huge vessel can feel so small inside.

I've been in both a U-Boat and an American Sub. I'd love to have one. With proper Automation and improved controls and PLCs, it could be a dream.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Kursk class had a swimming pool and spa.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And 2 nuclear reactors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

And 2 nuclear reactors.

:allears: Oh man, if only....

There was a brief moment where a company was going to buy a couple retired Oscar class subs and use them as cargo carriers by stripping out the missile tubes and putting in a cargo bay in their place.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
boats are the loving worst, why would anyone ever get the idea of getting a boat

I'm scraping bottom paint and it's awful, but ask me again in three months and I'll tell you that boats are the best goddamned thing ever

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I put a seal kit in, then reattached the foot and the shift linkage got caught on the engine's powerhead:

This is supposed to be one piece.

I was going to weld it, but that's right in the shift fork notch. It's off to ebay again.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

boats are the loving worst, why would anyone ever get the idea of getting a boat

I'm scraping bottom paint and it's awful, but ask me again in three months and I'll tell you that boats are the best goddamned thing ever

You have my sympathies, I did it last year (chronicled somewhere back in this thread), and it's not something I ever want to do again.

This year though, plain sailing, launched in April!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Neslepaks posted:

This year though, plain sailing, launched in April!

I see no sails you filthy motorer :colbert:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I see no sails you filthy motorer :colbert:

I was going to say something like I hope you can afford fuel but then decided I'm not a jerk. :colbert:

For real that is a very pretty boat.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 13, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Went down to the boat yard last weekend and helped finish up the boat for the racing season. Completely sanded the bottom and ready for a new coat of copper paint. Looking forward to a competitive season out on Lake Michigan.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kenshin posted:

I was going to say something like I hope you can afford fuel but then decided I'm not a jerk. :colbert:

For real that is a very pretty boat.

Uh do you know how much good racing sails cost for anything that's not a Laser?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Not really fair cause these things get chartered out most of the time anyway. I would assume the charter accounts for much of the costs.

Nah, they just register them as available for charter to avoid paying taxes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22885/eclipse.htm

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The closest one I can find that actually shows cost to charter is the much smaller "Taruma". Small being relative of course at 383' and 8343 tons.

It costs 630,000 Euro's per week. Plus expenses. Haha...

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Just got home from vacation, 15 days at sea. Slowly crawling around the Oslofjord and Vestfold coast. Hope everyone else is having a suitably salty summer. Couple of random pics.

Leaving sgrdstrand.

Approaching Drbak, Oscarsborg fortress in centre of pic

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Neslepaks posted:

Just got home from vacation, 15 days at sea. Slowly crawling around the Oslofjord and Vestfold coast. Hope everyone else is having a suitably salty summer. Couple of random pics.

Leaving sgrdstrand.

Approaching Drbak, Oscarsborg fortress in centre of pic

Beautiful. Hopefully I'll be able to take some long holidays like that before I'm too old to appreciate it.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I forgot I was going to share my last little project right before I set off on vacation.

I installed this shore power + charger kit. It's a plug'n'play sort of deal with no exposed 220V leads so it's legal to install it yourself. It was pricey but I'm super happy about it, it's a real relief to know the batteries are always topped up even after spending 3-4 days in a guest marina. Electric toilet as much as you want, cell phone charging, etc. Plus there's always hot water (after I figured out why there wasn't - whoever installed it had the thermostat set to 0).

Rather a neat job with my fists of ham, if I must say so myself.

The scary part was drilling in the boat's side.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Very nice work. I plan to install shore power and charger on my Scarab 29 as we will most likely slip it next year instead of trailering it.

What kit did you go with?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I went with this package: http://www.seatronic.no/landstrom-landstrom-c-81_385/defa-landstromspakke-p-4737

Plus a compatible DEFA charger. Doubt you can get this exact kit locally but probably something roughly similar.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I've been looking at this one. The price is cheap so just concerned it will be low quality.
https://www.ezacdc.com/boat-wiring-products/marine-electrical-shore-power/

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Not that much cheaper once you add the galvanic isolator. Which you probably should!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is the galvanic isolator necessary if the boat is on a lift with no part of the boat touching the water?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

If that's the only place you'll be using it then no. :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

A valid point. I'm sure there will be a time we will use it at another lake while slipped not on a lift.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I think I found the best/worst boat AI combo posible:

Cabin Cruiser 22' Bayliner 2270 Alaskan Explorer - $6000 (Post Falls)

Doesn't seem that AI until you notice the engine looks a little odd...

Yup, its rotary(12a I assume?) powered. I grew up on boats, so I should know better, but a friend of mine and I have been talking about going in on a boat together and the idea of a rotary one is awesome. Yes, involving money between friends is bad, but all those decisions aside, how stupid of an idea is this? Biggest issue here is that the boat is in Idaho and I am in Seattle.

quote:

If you can see this, it's for sale. Best live on, full time, all season, fishing boat you will find. Set up for big fish on big lakes. 22', fiberglass, Bayliner, 2270, Explorer with: Hard top, enclosed cabin and pilot house, Head w/ dockside pump-able porta potty, galley w/ 10 gallon fresh water tank, 3 burner propane stove, Magna Stainless steel propane barbeque, hot water heater in cabin, Hummingbird 541 fish finder, Atkins Rotary engine (marine version of an Mazda RX-7 engine), can sleep 6 adults, holds 10 fishing rods, includes a 4' Penn electric and a 4' Penn manual down-riggers with swivel bases, water hose on deck, all navigation and interior lights work, awesome 10 hp Honda 4 stroke kicker with steering control arm, Windshield defrosters, swim deck, bumpers, ropes, large Danforth anchor, 60 gallon gas tank, Big Jon electric dual outriggers, shore power, safety equipment, extinguisher. Two 12-volt marine batteries. Hull has anti-fouling paint. EZ Loader trailer in excellent condition with 4 new tires w/ less than 200 miles on them and a brand new 2000lb electric winch. 509-630-nine550 or 509-seven14-7384

Here is some info about the engine: It's called an Atkins Marine engine and is designed for the serious boat operator who can afford to "pay to play" so to speak. It is a Mazda rotary modified for marine applications. It has only three moving parts inside, weighs less than 170LBS, revs higher than a piston engine, has no reciprocating parts and puts out well over 200hp (depending on it's RPM and prop pitch) This boat came with a 130 VP, 4cyl. It was never made to be fast...the rotary was put in for blue water operation up and down the Alaska - Washington coastline. The original owner was a professional fisherman with his own product line and this was his laboratory :)

Also, waiting on my brother to chime in here, I think he follows this thread and I have not mentioned this idea to him. Bets on weather he calls me an idiot or is on board with the plan?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I doubt the fact it's in Post Falls is going to turn out to be the biggest issue.

otaku69
May 18, 2003
BOOST IN SEALS OUT

https://soundcloud.com/mr-marbles/ooh-mazdaboy-tellem-regular-cars-mazda-rx-7-fd-remix

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Oh my god I don't even want to start thinking about that thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Talk about the one motor I don't want to leave me stranded in the middle of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
That is hilariously bad.

Post removed though, did someone in here buy it?