Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mai's taste in men is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are you gonna tell the barely dressed big titty woman she's wrong about anything

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

General Morden posted:

mai disagrees

He has a great personality once you get to know him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have no idea if this is any good (it's a budget one-man FG so it's probably crap, sadly) but it looks cool: http://store.steampowered.com/app/466110/

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah, it's a shame they'll probably never do sprites again because HD sprites are a nightmare to make or whatever, but I'm glad the game exists at all and looks like fast fun. And shockingly it's going to come out feature complete, imagine tht

They're not a nightmare to make, the problem with KOFXIII is that the way SNK went about making HD sprites was the most time-consuming, labor intensive, and finicky method for creating HD sprites that's known to exist. I forgot who explained it, but it basically boiled down to 2-3 Blazblue characters could be created in the time it would take 1 KOFXIII character to be made. SNK's just really good at shooting themselves in the foot.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bhsman posted:

It still looks fun, though.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ATRyoSakazaki/status/730875478614102020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's the stuff nightmares are made of.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Saoshyant posted:

That's the stuff nightmares are made of.

Speaking of which, happy 3rd Strike day everybody! :buddy: :devil:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

FanaticalMilk posted:

They're not a nightmare to make, the problem with KOFXIII is that the way SNK went about making HD sprites was the most time-consuming, labor intensive, and finicky method for creating HD sprites that's known to exist. I forgot who explained it, but it basically boiled down to 2-3 Blazblue characters could be created in the time it would take 1 KOFXIII character to be made. SNK's just really good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep. It isn't the 2000s anymore. Creating Street Fighter V quality graphics is much more expensive and time consuming than it was say ten years ago. Hell, Arc System Works flatout stated that the jump to 3D was more or less as difficult as HD 2D (though much of that is due to their unique process). There is a reason why King of Fighters XIV looks like a Source game from 2007. SNK wants to keep costs down so quality models and textures are a big no no.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

SNK wants to keep costs down so quality models and textures are a big no no.

works for KI

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Apparently that game is an eye-killer so I guess nerds just can't be satisfied. :shrug:

EDIT: Xrd's style should be the standard.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bhsman posted:

Apparently that game is an eye-killer so I guess nerds just can't be satisfied. :shrug:

EDIT: Xrd's style should be the standard.

The problem is that KOF's thing is loads and loads of characters, and Xrd's process is slow enough that they've only been able to dripfeed ~6 characters every two years. SNK is kinda stuck here.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Could someone find this explanation, the "How SNK went broke" post in the KOF thread was one of the most interesting things I've read.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

There's a mandate that all fighting games now must both look and sound like poo poo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Night Blade posted:

There's a mandate that all fighting games now must both look and sound like poo poo.

arcsys is the hero we really don't deserve

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

https://youtu.be/pxaejyyeI1Q?t=117

General Morden fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 13, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel that Microsoft is much bigger than SNK.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that Microsoft is much bigger than SNK.

Microsoft didn't make KI.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Microsoft didn't make KI.

They sure funded it and provided the resources.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

They sure funded it and provided the resources.

Even then KI isn't a really big-budget fighter IIRC?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

bhsman posted:

Even then KI isn't a really big-budget fighter IIRC?

Let me rephase. Modern high end 3D graphics, like high resolution sprites, aren't out of reach per say. But they are difficult for small developers to do, or moderately sized companies that want a lot of characters like SNK. This is also why high-end 3D games have become much rarer this generation compared to the previous ones. Double Helix is hardly the most grandiose developer, yet they are over three fourths the size of all of SNK. Not to mention almost the entire staff at Double Helix was solely focused on Killer Instinct. I wouldn't call Killer Instinct a AAA game per say. However, it is in no way small and likely more costly than KOF XIV. If SNK did a game with 50 characters at the quality of Killer Instinct's models the game would have taken notably longer to make and would have been much more expensive. Remember part of the reason why the game is being developed so fast is because they already have models up and ready from tracing over them in KOFXIII.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 13, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

KOF XIV has mediocre animation because the models they used are from the ones they traced the sprites over from KOF XIII (which also had mediocre animation).

what's your reference on this?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Booyah- posted:

what's your reference on this?

They used 3D models in their sprite process. There is no way they would let those assets go to waste.

EDIT - I found a video comparing KOFXIV and XIII's animation. It does seem that there are a lot of similarities between the two games. That said there are a few differences. You can really see the effects of animation between 2D and 3D.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 13, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

They used 3D models in their sprite process. There is no way they would let those assets go to waste.

EDIT - I found a video comparing KOFXIV and XIII's animation. It does seem that there are a lot of similarities between the two games. That said there are a few differences. You can really see the effects of animation between 2D and 3D.

ok so you were speculating. but the comparison vid is cool and if you slo mo it they look very similar so your theory probably isnt far off.

i wish they could do the Xrd lighting tricks and poo poo though. too bad

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well they could, but Xrd sort of relies on having something like five or six sets of vertex co-ordinates for each model (so effectively five to six models for each model), a poo poo ton of model swaps (each model swap also needs multiple sets of vertex co-ordinates), and a custom vertex animation for basically every keyframe of animation, along with the armature animations, and oh yeah the armatures have on the order of 400-600 bones.

The only real advantage of what Arksys are doing is that it looks really really good and relies on very very very few resolution dependent resources.

An Xrd characters animations (the model(s) + the rig + the animations) take longer to complete than a blazblue character (which are done virtually the same way kof 13 sprites were done, only with much smaller character color pallets)

No company is going to do what Arksys did with Xrd, because it requires complete and total insanity.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

Well they could, but Xrd sort of relies on having something like five or six sets of vertex co-ordinates for each model (so effectively five to six models for each model), a poo poo ton of model swaps (each model swap also needs multiple sets of vertex co-ordinates), and a custom vertex animation for basically every keyframe of animation, along with the armature animations, and oh yeah the armatures have on the order of 400-600 bones.

The only real advantage of what Arksys are doing is that it looks really really good and relies on very very very few resolution dependent resources.

An Xrd characters animations (the model(s) + the rig + the animations) take longer to complete than a blazblue character (which are done virtually the same way kof 13 sprites were done, only with much smaller character color pallets)

No company is going to do what Arksys did with Xrd, because it requires complete and total insanity.

Ono is an insane weirdo why doesn't sfv have that much love and care

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he's a different kind of insane weirdo clearly

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom doesn't believe fighting games need or warrant big budgets, that's the short answer.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

he's a weirdo narcissist, i dont think he cares about good fighting games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Yep. Arc System Works didn't go 3D because it was cheaper or easier. They went 3D because they were bored with HD sprites and wanted to continue "pushing the limit" of anime esque graphics. They pushed 2D to the limit so they went with 3D.

Pomp posted:

Ono is an insane weirdo why doesn't sfv have that much love and care

This is what happens when Capcom has free reigns to do whatever they want to a game's visuals:

Compare this to the original stage:

Do we really want Capcom to make a stylistic Street Fighter game?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is what happens when Capcom has free reigns to do whatever they want to a game's visuals:

Compare this to the original stage:

Do we really want Capcom to make a stylistic Street Fighter game?

i think hdremix looks like poo poo but i don't get your point

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the hd remix backgrounds are just loving awful is his point

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
How is Capcom more responsible for the visuals in HDR (a game that was developed in America btw) than in SF2?

I'm sure none of the people who worked on SF2's art still work for Capcom, but none of the ones who worked on HDR's art do either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

How is Capcom more responsible for the visuals in HDR (a game that was developed in America btw) than in SF2?

I'm sure none of the people who worked on SF2's art still work for Capcom, but none of the ones who worked on HDR's art do either.

That's my point. Modern Capcom may not be able to make a legitimately good looking fighting game. SF2 looked good, but HDR looked like poo poo.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's my point. Modern Capcom may not be able to make a legitimately good looking fighting game. SF2 looked good, but HDR looked like poo poo.

thats because udon did it...

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

HDR the game made by david sirlin praise him

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

double post

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

thats because udon did it...

And Capcom approved it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

of all the dumb historian fg stuff to bring up, the david sirlin / udon collaboration of hd remix is the stupidest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

can someone pinpoint the moment when punk rebel ecks went from 'clueless guy asking about basic details of games' to noted historian and expert i stopped paying attention