Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

http://youtu.be/kL9BQV9YPlU

He's arguably one of the best swordsman in the world, and I say that without exaggeration.

Arguably. Pretty sure he wouldn't make that claim himself. (And yeah, I know him a little bit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Well I die if I eat peanuts, but yeah, in principle.

I think I need to rope some of the guys to fence me on weekends or something so I can get used to it all. Trying to deal with all the kit and the heat and someone trying to whack me in the head for real is overwhelming enough that I run out of patience for poo poo like "five pushups for every double hit". No, gently caress you, I finally have a kit that fits, I just want to loving fence instead of fiddling with rules.

You sound like you're a poo poo fighter and will never improve from there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

fite me irl

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

fite me irl

i would and you'd lose b/c i understand where i went wrong, take my lumps, and don't do it again. your attitude towards fencing is everything wrong with both SCA and HEMA.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay I did some soul-searching and came to the conclusion I need to own up that yes, I indeed am a quitter, and that the core of my frustration last week was not the poor pedagogy but that I ended up quitting, again. And the fact I can't try again until next month.

Please come fite me irl, I could really use it.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Please come fite me irl, I could really use it.

If you're really interested in fighting and in the Seattle area, feel free to hit me up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hey.

he may be in the wrong here but don't insult him

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

HEY GAL posted:

hey.

he may be in the wrong here but don't insult him

tragically, hema is even worse than sca

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

curious lump posted:

tragically, hema is even worse than sca

In what sense?

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

In what sense?

Sorry, for rapier. I always think of them in that context. In retrospect, I'm sure HEMA is superior in every other aspect.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

curious lump posted:

Sorry, for rapier. I always think of them in that context. In retrospect, I'm sure HEMA is superior in every other aspect.

It's probably because all of the best rapierists consider themselves more classical fencers than HEMA fencers. But in my experience, the SCA fencers have a tendency to lose pretty handedly to HEMA fencers in rapier competitions.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Verisimilidude posted:

It's probably because all of the best rapierists consider themselves more classical fencers than HEMA fencers. But in my experience, the SCA fencers have a tendency to lose pretty handedly to HEMA fencers in rapier competitions.

The worst SCA fencers are probably worse than the worst HEMA fencers, but I guarantee you that the best fencers are all in the SCA. I don't think anyone can watch something like the Swordfish Finals and think HEMA is good.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I'm assuming that since SCA rapier people fence against HEMA rapier people that the rules and allowable techniques are the same - so what's the difference? Or is this a case of cobra kai being better than dragon school etc.?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are we referring to the same group of people here

i'm talking about the douchebags with polyester clothing and fake swords

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAL posted:

are we referring to the same group of people here

i'm talking about the douchebags with polyester clothing and fake swords

SCA rapier is absolute rubbish. I have little love for HEMA tournament rulesets, but SCA rapier is about as artificial and inadequate an analogue to actual rapier combat as collegiate epee fencing is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit of a long shot but does anybody know of a good training spear? My club has a couple of 8' and 16' spears we can mess about with but I wouldn't mind one of my own for a bit of practice and maybe some mixed weapon combat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Darkwood Armory makes a flexible blade for spear practice, but I have no idea how much you have to kit up to make it safe. Purpleheart Armory uses rubber heads, they're alright if a bit stiff. Purpleheart's are also available from European vendors, but I can't remember which ones.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

Darkwood Armory makes a flexible blade for spear practice, but I have no idea how much you have to kit up to make it safe. Purpleheart Armory uses rubber heads, they're alright if a bit stiff. Purpleheart's are also available from European vendors, but I can't remember which ones.

Thanks, looks like I may have to have a go at making some. My instructors made the spears we use and they are pretty safe plus we tend not to attack as hard as possible with them, rather if you get hit with the spear tip you tend to accept you've been hit. Before I had a long term injury I had a pretty fun sparring session that was 2v2 two people with the 8' spears me with a longsword and a friend of mine with a rapier and buckler.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You know what sucks? Having to switch hands cause your good one got tendonitis. How does anything even work? How do I walk?

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

DandyLion posted:

SCA rapier is absolute rubbish. I have little love for HEMA tournament rulesets, but SCA rapier is about as artificial and inadequate an analogue to actual rapier combat as collegiate epee fencing is.

A lot of the stuff the SCA does is gimmicky bullshit, but that is not true. Everything the best fighters (not the people swinging their swords around based on some lovely wood carving) do is perfectly effective in real life. Don't mistake people who fight a very pretty historical style (Tom Leoni, Puck, etc) for being good.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

curious lump posted:

A lot of the stuff the SCA does is gimmicky bullshit, but that is not true. Everything the best fighters (not the people swinging their swords around based on some lovely wood carving) do is perfectly effective in real life.

How many people you seen killed by rapier cuz

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

How many people you seen killed by rapier cuz

It's pretty obvious what would and would not be fatal - eg, getting a rapier point through your eye. Don't be obtuse.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Someone explain this SCA vs HEMA stuff to me. Is the argument because there aren't enough structured rapier tournaments to give a reliable ranking system and thus indicate whose style is more effective, or is it a case of the rules being different, like what constitutes a valid touch and how to call a double touch?

...sounds like you guys need to settle this like civilised folk with a 15-point epee bout, seeing as it's objectively the best fencing weapon :smug:

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 11, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hema is an international association of archaic martial arts enthusiasts.
sca is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism
they;re the people you may have seen on the internet dressing up and hitting one another with foam swords.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No no, SCA dudes do their armoured fighting with basket-hilted rattan sticks, not foam swords. Their rapiers are the same repros as HEMA folk use.

SCA tournaments run on a honour system where you're supposed to call hits made against you. From what I've read, SCA fencers are really into it and spend a lot of time training and fencing each other. As far as controversial opinions go, "these dudes who fence a lot are really good" is kind of mild. If you're interested in the stuff, I've found Weekly Warfare decent enough a blog.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/fecht-club-new-yorks-women-warriors-kick-rear end-8601021

Here's a write up by the Village Voice on Fecht Yeah!, a women's online tournament set up by students in my school.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"longsword sparring, an art that resembles foil fencing but is more difficult. Long, blunted blades and armor-like black gear replace the thin, bendy swords and white cotton uniforms."
Uh... that sure sounds like an acurate description of foil and the protective gear involved.

In other news, these are some pretty fun matches to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7yp8WbAosU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733ITpn6lG4

Fencing & Red Bull?
I respect his skill, but certainly not his character.

There's only one MCW video that ever needs to be posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvQKvF33ELk

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

curious lump posted:

It's pretty obvious what would and would not be fatal - eg, getting a rapier point through your eye. Don't be obtuse.

It's not actually very obvious, no, unless all your bouts end with a rapier through the cerebellum. SCA also practices the lightsabre rule of fencing: you get hit somewhere and that part is unusable. This stands in marked contrast with actual accounts of rapier duels, where even injuries that would eventually prove fatal did not stop the fight. So SCA is not "real life" fighting, and I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
HEMA wants to revive historical martial arts.

SCA prioritizes fun with swords.

It's apples and oranges, really. From what I've seen the people in any group who sperg out about perfectly recreating the act of killing someone with an obsolete weapon to the finest detail are all annoying as hell. Also, those people always seem to be the first to cry because "he hit me too hard!"

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's not actually very obvious, no, unless all your bouts end with a rapier through the cerebellum. SCA also practices the lightsabre rule of fencing: you get hit somewhere and that part is unusable. This stands in marked contrast with actual accounts of rapier duels, where even injuries that would eventually prove fatal did not stop the fight. So SCA is not "real life" fighting, and I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play.

I'd say 90% of my bouts end up with a tip on someone's face/heart/lungs, because I'm not a shitlord who cheeses to win. Some people are, but I don't consider them good fighters.

Also "I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play." lmao what does this even mean are you literally retarded or something.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

curious lump posted:

I'd say 90% of my bouts end up with a tip on someone's face/heart/lungs

lol no they don't

quote:

Also "I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play." lmao what does this even mean are you literally retarded or something.

Historical manuals were written by people who killed other people with swords. you play pretend and act like it's the same thing.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

lol no they don't

Historical manuals were written by people who killed other people with swords. you play pretend and act like it's the same thing.

Lmao look at this guy. First off, I'm not an SCA fencer, but do you think they don't follow the historical masters? They're big into historical fencing, just like HEMA is, they just like to simultaneously dress up at the same time. Trying to talk poo poo but you don't even know what you're talking about? Smdh.

And yeah, they do, because I'm not poo poo, and because I train realistically.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

curious lump posted:

Lmao look at this guy. First off, I'm not an SCA fencer, but do you think they don't follow the historical masters? They're big into historical fencing, just like HEMA is, they just like to simultaneously dress up at the same time. Trying to talk poo poo but you don't even know what you're talking about? Smdh.

homie historical fencing literally is HEMA. what do you think it stands for?

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

homie historical fencing literally is HEMA. what do you think it stands for?

They're two separate organizations, but SCA still does historical fencing. They follow historical masters, do historical styles, and read historical rapier treatises. Did you have some idea that they just ran at each other with nerf bats or something? And on another note, how badly do you fight that you find 90% killing accuracy hard to believe? Do you just flail your sword around at the other guy and hope you get a tip cut on him? Do you blindly aim at his gut? Really confused here.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

curious lump posted:

They're two separate organizations, but SCA still does historical fencing. They follow historical masters, do historical styles, and read historical rapier treatises. Did you have some idea that they just ran at each other with nerf bats or something? And on another note, how badly do you fight that you find 90% killing accuracy hard to believe? Do you just flail your sword around at the other guy and hope you get a tip cut on him? Do you blindly aim at his gut? Really confused here.

HEMA Alliance and HEMA are different things my dude.

My point re the 90% thing is that rapiers don't kill super quickly. Like there is a rash of duels where both fighters are killed when the rapier becomes popular because although a narrow puncture to most vital organs will kill you, it won't drop you like a stone. Aside from the psychological effect of wounding (shock, etc) there isn't anything stopping the person you're fighting immediately. It's one of the trickier problems to tackle with historical fencing but still worth talking about.

edit: It's not confined to the rapier either, like there is a 16th century case where a dude got his brain laid open with a halberd and still made his way back to camp to get seen to by a surgeon.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 13, 2016

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

HEMA Alliance and HEMA are different things my dude.

My point re the 90% thing is that rapiers don't kill super quickly. Like there is a rash of duels where both fighters are killed when the rapier becomes popular because although a narrow puncture to most vital organs will kill you, it won't drop you like a stone. Aside from the psychological effect of wounding (shock, etc) there isn't anything stopping the person you're fighting immediately. It's one of the trickier problems to tackle with historical fencing but still worth talking about.

edit: It's not confined to the rapier either, like there is a 16th century case where a dude got his brain laid open with a halberd and still made his way back to camp to get seen to by a surgeon.

No, they don't kill super quickly, which is why you aim for a part that is going to kill them - if not immediately, then soon after, and cover your escape and retreat to safety until your opponents body catches up with them. That's why all my guys train for major arteries, the heart, or the head because realistically, if you hit one of those, you are probably going to kill them really quickly. Believe me, all of that is explicitly addressed in both training and sparring. None of that has anything to do with my initial points, though.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My anecdote is: the SCA people I've seen were in even worst physical condition than the HEMA people I've seen

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Maybe it's just Scandinavia or maybe it's just my club but the HEMA people who actually compete are pretty fit. The average practitioner? Well it varies... I'd assume it's the same for SCA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Typical HEMA bout:

Two fatties hit each other at the same time and then argue over who would have died first.