Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xy Hapu posted:

I kind of hope it doesn't happen, it'd be like Batman developing superpowers. It only worked for Eren because he had no redeemable traits

Yeah, I already don't like the Ackerman superpower, please at least let the two most competent characters remain human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It'd be pretty funny if the Ackerman superpower was just krav maga.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Could be interesting. Levi could be the last boss if he eats monkey and gets baron harkonened

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Bert and/or Ernie don't get dropped or real in the next 2 chapters I drop this like a rock
i personally stopped reading around chapter 50 because it was moving so slowly, and from what i hear from a friend ive missed barely anything plot wise. i'll pick it back up when it's done though for sure

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

genericnick posted:

Could be interesting. Levi could be the last boss if he eats monkey and gets baron harkonened

I don't get what you mean by that character allusion? He becomes gay and gets horrible acne? Harkonnen was never brainwashed, was he?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't get what you mean by that character allusion? He becomes gay and gets horrible acne? Harkonnen was never brainwashed, was he?

I believe he's referring to how Alia's genetic memories combine with her other psychoses to effectively resurrect the Baron within her to possess her body in Children of Dune.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beefstew posted:

I believe he's referring to how Alia's genetic memories combine with her other psychoses to effectively resurrect the Baron within her to possess her body in Children of Dune.

More precisely, that was the actual Baron Harkonnen's consciousness hijacking Alia, not a simple memory of him. That's because the genetic memory thing was actually their explanation for what turned out to be a deeper, more transcendent psychic phenomenon. One demonstrated when a blind Paul Atreides was able to psychically see through his newborn son's eyes.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

More precisely, that was the actual Baron Harkonnen's consciousness hijacking Alia, not a simple memory of him. That's because the genetic memory thing was actually their explanation for what turned out to be a deeper, more transcendent psychic phenomenon. One demonstrated when a blind Paul Atreides was able to psychically see through his newborn son's eyes.

Oh. I was just about to start reading Children actually. Fortunately this is a series where while I like it I really don't care about being spoiled. And I already know the stuff about the worm-hybrid and his multi-millenia master plan etc.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah sorry, but I think Dune spoilers are OK in most contexts.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

genericnick posted:

Yeah sorry, but I think Dune spoilers are OK in most contexts.

I mean, Dune frequently spoils itself, between the pre-chapter epigraphs and the fact that its main characters are prescient. The interesting stuff comes from the way those events play out with the characters on more emotional levels and in regards to the overarching themes of the novels.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can't wait until AoT introduces the lost space jews.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

change my name posted:

I frequently forget that there are even any books after God Emperor, since it's such a perfect ending to the series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

change my name posted:

Ackermann? Levi? They're already here.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefstew posted:

I frequently forget that there are even any books after God Emperor, since it's such a perfect ending to the series.

I lost interest somewhere in the middle of Heretics, I simply could not bring myself to care about rear end in a top hat space politics anymore once any sort of grounding viewpoint character was gone.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Some early spoilers for chapter 82 are out there. You can check reddit or tumblr for them. This is probably one of the more brutal chapters in the series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is a lot of death this chapter from what I can tell from the spoilers I'm seeing.

Bert gets pulled out, may or may not be dead? Reiner loving eats it, it seems. Levi and Armin are also getting killed too from what I can gather. Sasha might be biting it too? Idk wtf is happening.

I have no idea how legit most of the panels and translations I've been seeing are, but it makes me super excited.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 6, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
As best as I can tell from the micro scans:

- Armin gets roasted and looks completely dead
- Reiner and Bertolt are both defeated and captured
- Sasha and Jean are injured, not necessarily fatally
- Hange returns, wounded but alive.

Armin better be actually dead. I like the character but if he dies and Erwin survives (thanks to the serum)that would actually be a legitimate twist and an interesting plot development. I'm worried that Armin is somehow still alive and will get the serum.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Armin looks as dead as a roasted pig. Which means that Erwin has to live because we need someone to be the strategist

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

armin and erwin dead. Holy poo poo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For once I read the raws because I feel I was going to get spoiled, and holy gently caress!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

For once I read the raws because I feel I was going to get spoiled, and holy gently caress!

Are there raws? Or again just the chinese version?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I refuse to believe it

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Wow, if he actually goes through with it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Edit: whoops misread

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A (relatively low-quality) English scanlation is out on Kissmanga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-082?id=276074

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah wow, that's a pretty bold move by the author to axe one of the main trio like that. I also genuinely did not expect either bert or ernie to survive, let alone both of them.

brotato
May 14, 2013
You know, all things considered it took a lot longer than I thought it would for this series to get to the point where everyone I liked was dead.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So uh.

Holy poo poo.

Well we only have Zeke left as a named antagonist. I wonder if Bert will somehow escape or if the final battle is going to be against a guy that Levi already beat once + mooks.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
well, goddamn

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only way I can conceive of Armin not dying is if they give him a titan serum. As long as he's not dead that would presumably heal all his wounds when he turned into a titan. I'm kind of not hoping they use that way out, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The latest chapter was extremely satisfying.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The only way I can conceive of Armin not dying is if they give him a titan serum. As long as he's not dead that would presumably heal all his wounds when he turned into a titan. I'm kind of not hoping they use that way out, though.

That would have to result in Bert or Ernie being executed in the darkest, most barbaric method in the entire manga up to this point if they wanted to keep him around as a character

E: that would result in the most karmic payback imaginable for Marco though so something like that is actually pretty reasonable!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

That would have to result in Bert or Ernie being executed in the darkest, most barbaric method in the entire manga up to this point if they wanted to keep him around as a character

E: that would result in the most karmic payback imaginable for Marco though so something like that is actually pretty reasonable!

Not sure what you mean? Could you explain?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i do like how they managed to call back to the iconic eren vs colossal titan scene at the beginning. this time, fucker, you're not getting away

also, considering how much the series liked to fake us out, there is a nonzero chance that serumified armin would take a swing at eren... which may result in berthold getting away

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

also, considering how much the series liked to fake us out, there is a nonzero chance that serumified armin would take a swing at eren... which may result in berthold getting away

If Bertholt, Reiner, and Zeke somehow manage to all escape from this, it would significantly negatively influence my opinion of this comic. Postponing the final climactic encounter yet again would be a terrible decision.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Congratulations, Eren. You finally beat a Titan without using your own Titan form.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
They're going to give the titan serum to Armin, and he's going to go crazy-titan and eat Bert AND Reiner and become a colossal armored titan with super powered strategy skills on top of it ... it could happen, rite?? :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure what you mean? Could you explain?

Bertolt and Reiner prevented Marco from escaping and left him to be devoured by a titan.

Since a titan Armin/Erwin needs to eat a shifter to become conscious again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing Armin is eating right now is poo poo