Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Treyarch hit gold with the release of Spider-Man 2 on sixth generation consoles, it's what everyone wanted in a Spidey title. It was successful enough to raise the bar for licensed games in general, and also establish Spider-Man as a pseudo-popular gaming brand. Treyarch went on to make Ultimate Spider-Man, which improved on 2's mobility and combat, and later, Spider-Man 3 for the PS3/360, and Web of Shadows. Now, regardless of the mixed reception concerning the last two, I am pretty firm in my belief that they're all great games. The game we're playing today is only tangentially related to them, though.

Oh?

Developed by Vicarious Visions instead of Treyarch, this version of Spidey 3 came out in that strange time period where the PS2 was still profitable, but next-gen games had already landed. As such, it was necessary to develop some games for both generations, often with significant differences in spite of an identical title. In short, this Spider-Man 3 has no relation to the flashier looking, more fluid one on seventh gen consoles.

Oh.

Don't go sulking away just yet! Although Spidey 3 on PS2 isn't quite as polished or creative as its brothers, it's still a fun game in its own right. It borrows elements from both Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man, adds a few new ideas, and overall is a very average experience. It's still Spider-Man though, and you still roam around a big city busting criminal heads and taking out iconic villains. Just expect a bit of a bumpy ride.

Wasn't there a Spider-Man 3 on the Wii?

It's the same as this one, but with motion controls. The Wii wasn't really ever considered a seventh gen console, so that's to be expected.

Videos

That's everything, true-believers!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Wasn't there a Spider-Man 3 on the Wii?

It's the same as this one, but with motion controls. The Wii wasn't really ever considered a seventh gen console, so that's to be expected.

It got off better than the Xbone, which didn't even get a version due to the clusterfuck which is the system's hardware. Goons got a good laugh about that in the Xbone Sharktank.

EDIT: hahaaha this wordfilter :allears:

EDIT 2: they called the third xbox the xbox one

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 13, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SSNeoman posted:

It got off better than the Xbone, which didn't even get a version due to the clusterfuck which is the system's hardware. Goons got a good laugh about that in the Xbone Sharktank.

EDIT: hahaaha this wordfilter :allears:

EDIT 2: they called the third xbox the xbox one
I think you're getting your Spider-Man games mixed up there, Spider-Man 3 is a last-gen game that came out almost a decade ago and I think even the xbone could handle that kind of thing. Now the Xbone version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did have some issues and the physical release was delayed, but the game did actually come out. Not that it's apparently any good on any system.

As for Spider-Man 3, I have this game for the PSP. It was bundled with the red and black PSP-2000, along with the Spider-Man 3 film on UMD. Not exactly the greatest bundle in the world, but I just wanted an affordable PSP for Persona 3 Portable so whatever.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

I think you're getting your Spider-Man games mixed up there, Spider-Man 3 is a last-gen game that came out almost a decade ago and I think even the xbone could handle that kind of thing. Now the Xbone version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did have some issues and the physical release was delayed, but the game did actually come out. Not that it's apparently any good on any system.

As for Spider-Man 3, I have this game for the PSP. It was bundled with the red and black PSP-2000, along with the Spider-Man 3 film on UMD. Not exactly the greatest bundle in the world, but I just wanted an affordable PSP for Persona 3 Portable so whatever.

I love Amazing Spider-Man 2 (The Game) to death. It's a real shame it was associated with the movie, it's too good for that. Then again, so was the game that shared its name with the first movie.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is the game Man available?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Man, Bruce Campbell seems to be the only one who wanted to show up to do voice overs at all, does it get any better?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Is the game Man available?

There is sadly no videogame yet made just called "Man." Though there is a game that has been made called Made Man.

WombatCyborg posted:

Man, Bruce Campbell seems to be the only one who wanted to show up to do voice overs at all, does it get any better?

Depends what you meant.

Do the voice overs get better? Well, JK Simmons had a blast reading his lines, if that helps. Otherwise no, Tobey sounds depressed throughout the game.

Does the game get better? I think so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

*puts hand over Doc's shoulder*
Friend, let me tell you...about the RAM...

Platform(s) posted:

Game Boy Advance
Microsoft Windows
Mobile phone
Nintendo DS
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable
Wii
Xbox 360

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Do the voice overs get better? Well, JK Simmons had a blast reading his lines, if that helps.

I'm in

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh, okay. I get it now. I think. Xbox One related humor is very sophisticated.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh, okay. I get it now. I think. Xbox One related humor is very sophisticated.

Not nearly as good as Spider-Memes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Just another spider-day in the spider-life of your spider-friendly spider-man

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Do you get it? Breaking news?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh so this is where Watch_Dogs got the idea for their skill trees.

And yeah, for a city inhabited by supervillains, Jonah's really tempting fate.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Oh so this is where Watch_Dogs got the idea for their skill trees.

And yeah, for a city inhabited by supervillains, Jonah's really tempting fate.

He's really got balls if nothing else.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizards, Parker! Giant Lizards!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sad friends. Sad friendship.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jameson is our best buddy

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sewer level

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 12, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, if nothing else, this version gets kudos for forcing an emotional piece of voice acting from Maguire.

Also, since I've been also following your Iron Man LP, this game looks way better than that PS2 version, at least technology-wise if not aesthetics-wise. Both were released at the tail-end of their systems' cycles and would be expected to wring out all of their potential, but this has fairly high-polygon models and good lightning, whereas the Iron Man game looks vaguely PS1-ish at times.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Wow, if nothing else, this version gets kudos for forcing an emotional piece of voice acting from Maguire.

Also, since I've been also following your Iron Man LP, this game looks way better than that PS2 version, at least technology-wise if not aesthetics-wise. Both were released at the tail-end of their systems' cycles and would be expected to wring out all of their potential, but this has fairly high-polygon models and good lightning, whereas the Iron Man game looks vaguely PS1-ish at times.

The suit's detailing in particular is nice. I definitely prefer the seventh-gen version, but the PS2 game is tugging along reasonably, especially considering it's an obvious afterthought. I would've done a comparison LP with this one too, but the structure of the two games is so vastly different that it's difficult to even begin comparing them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A new Spider-Man game was just announced at Sony's E3 conference. Life is good again.

#SpiderManPS4

Oh also another video is uploading I guess.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of the weirdest and best parts of the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Even weirder and better.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I remember trying to find some videos of these levels way back when, being curious about this game's take on Shriek, and finding only low-quality and webcam-recorded crap. Which is why it's good to see someone focusing on more obscure games and ports, you're doing good work, man.

Anyway, now that I've seen it, the exclusive story is pretty bonkers. Is it in any way elaborated upon later in the game? Also, you can really tell that this is the content they made from scratch on a shoestring budget, by Morbius' stiff body and Shriek's flying animation in the one cutscene being just moving her unmoving model across the map. I like her redesign, though, and her Mad Maxy goons.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

it's good to see someone focusing on more obscure games and ports, you're doing good work, man.

Finally, being a hipster is paying off!

I'm glad they tried hard to bring exclusive content to the sixth gen versions, even if it's crazy-weird. I don't want to spoil whether the story does/doesn't go anywhere... but it doesn't. We never hear about Shriek or Morbius ever again, or the meteorites.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last bit of the Story. There's some (commentary-less) extra content still to come.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, that got really rushed and stupid towards the end. It was so dumb, all of it.
Spider-man straight up deciding to kindap a guy to get some photos was dumb, so was the guy's ineffectual karate-flailing, the way Morbius and Shriek are forgotten, the revelation of the symbiote's weakness also being forgotten with Spidey having to come across it by accident anyway, the way the cutscenes are just FMV'd versions of the 7th gen in-engine cutscenes with no up-res or postprocessing so the game manages to be ugly in TWO SEPARATE WAYS AT ONCE, the falling glitch, that one policeman's horrible Brooklyn accent, the 'hitting a sand person with my fists is ineffective, so obviously the solution is to PUNCH HARDER!', the awful wait-for-QTE boss fights, the way MJ goes apeshit over the same web-slinging hot dogging she'd enjoyed before, the way that one gang member just does a Jesus pose and slowly drifts away while on fire, Venom's goofy-rear end voice filter, Sandman just sliding along the ground awkwardly during the second boss fight, Venom's black aura being an allusion to the Rage mechanic despite the mechanic not being present in this version, the taunts, the Goblin slowly putting down the "bombs" for Spidey to throw instead of just throwing them himself so that Peter can tell Aunt May that he helped too I guess, "The game ends here", and the final boss just kinda collapsing and the black suit disappearing into thin air which nobody comments on which was the dumbest thing ever.
But at least it's the kind of dumb that's interesting to watch.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I actually really liked Venom's voice filter and his dialogue, but everything else was pretty bad for me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The PSP exclusive Conquest Mode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Repetition ahoy

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fun fact of the day: Someone requested me to do this

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is finally over

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Since this is over, I have to ask, are you planning to do Spider-Man? That is, the tie-in to Raimi's first Spider-Man movie?
Although even finding a copy is probably a pain in the rear end by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

Since this is over, I have to ask, are you planning to do Spider-Man? That is, the tie-in to Raimi's first Spider-Man movie?
Although even finding a copy is probably a pain in the rear end by now

Everything is easy to find on Amazon! And I want to eventually play every single 3D Spider-Man game, but in no particular order.

• Locked thread