Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Number19 posted:

cls: I'm watching my girlfriend go through the nastiest divorce I could ever imagine. why are some people so terrible?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

trapped mouse posted:

In honor of the new thread title. Click at your own risk.

is this really jon pop???

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Content: Elon Musk and SpaceX

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i think i've brought it up in this thread before but my dad's the guy who has to check off the boxes for NASA when third parties want to send NASA cargos into space and he's gotten an in-depth look at the Falcon 9 several times and, well, Musk clearly has the same weird unrealistic blind spots we've seen with Tesla when it comes to rockets as well.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

my favorite part was one time my dad asked to see some particular diagnostic output from the onboard computer - for literally every other rocket ever made, this is a pretty simple process where you just wheel over a little cart with a terminal and some equipment on it, plug a thing in to the rocket and get your data. for the falcon 9, you can't do that. instead, all the rocket's systems are fed through a (possibly off-site) ~cloud~ server and checks are done using automated python scripts. nobody who was with my dad was authorized to just pull ad-hoc data about the rocket, only to run the scripts, so they had to call up some sysadmin to write them a new python script for it and wait for him to run the results down.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Outside investigation of a plane crash reveals that the majority of Chinese pilots lie about their level of experience, leading to this post:

Haier posted:

China: The RPG -

You start off at Level 01 when you leave on your quest. Instead of trying to gain XP, you focus on collecting gold coins. When you have enough gold coins, you go to the nearest tavern and trade the gold coins for a scroll that that proves you are Level 24, even if you are still actually at Level 01. While collecting gold coins, you encounter a monster and try to give him gold coins instead of fighting. The monster tries to fight you, but you complain that you are now embarrassed because you are not ready to fight him, and that the monster should feel shame for embarrassing you. The monster laughs and leaves while you try desperately to pay off anyone that saw you weeping before the monster.

One day while out looking for gold coins, you meet a man from a distant land. He is a Level 17 and spent much of his life getting the XP to level up so high. You wave your Level 24 scroll at him and he scratches his hairy chin and says "That's fake." You feel embarrassed and curse him under your breath.

Another day, you have your tunic raised up while squatting on the side of the wagon path, letting loose a hot stream of oily diarrhea, when you hear a jingling from above. You look up and see the words. Finally, after 30+ years, you've achieved Level Two status. You're so shocked that you accidentally let go of your tunic and poo poo on the back of it, while pissing into the top of your boots. Never mind that, you've got work to do. You run back to the tavern and pay the money to fix your scroll. It now says Level 25. You've made it at last. You can now marry that girl from down the street who demanded you must be at least Level 25 and have an income of 2000 gold per year. Your life is complete. You get married and wait for retirement. Once retired, you wait for death.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

trapped mouse posted:

Completely naked? That's a whole new level of "Feels good man"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Kurieg posted:

Former marine found out a family friend was molesting his daughter. Sent him a text message from his daughter's phone saying that she needed a ride in a little bit after a shower. Guy shows up. Former marine records the ensuing confrontation up to the cops showing up.

Further explanation and audio behind the link

http://imgur.com/gallery/tLrX1rz

Data Graham posted:

He sure did get proof of him attacking the other guy unprovoked
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ravenkult posted:

Everybody relax, the child molester defense team is here.

Data Graham posted:

Look, I get that it's trespassing (that's what he kept hammering on in order to have it on tape), and I know it's Texas and all. All I'm saying is, it's a rather unsatisfying listen for something everyone's going :vince: about. Would have been nice to have recorded the guy doing something more than just denying wrongdoing and getting beat up.

I mean clearly the guy got convicted and everything. I just can't imagine the recording would have carried much weight in court, as pertains to the actual charges of molestering.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So are you gunning to be a mod or what?

Magic Hate Ball has a new favorite as of 08:33 on May 11, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was confused about what Meghan McCain had to do with a paedo getting beaten up - you meant to quote one post above, about a child molester getting beat up on record.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tesseraction posted:

I was confused about what Meghan McCain had to do with a paedo getting beaten up - you meant to quote one post above, about a child molester getting beat up on record.

Is that what the Vietcong were mad about?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chichevache posted:

To Catch a Senator...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

I've found a new thing to say whenever I don't know what the gently caress.

Beside "I am not really confident, but I think it's a couple of giraffes that are next to a map", of course.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

edit: this isn't the thread I wanted to post this in, and I don't know how that happened. But I'm leaving it here!

wayfinder has a new favorite as of 06:42 on May 11, 2016

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

piL posted:

The long con: "Hey honey, try this farming game. I went ahead and made you a character."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tesseraction posted:

whopps!!! fixed it

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder posted:

edit: this isn't the thread I wanted to post this in, and I don't know how that happened. But I'm leaving it here!

pff that's just a weave

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

pff that's just a weave

Nappy headed horse.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Cumslut1895 posted:

pff that's just a weave

Stop wigging out or there'll be hell toupee

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Phyzzle posted:

It looks fishy because she doesn't seem to be in any pain, but that's due to her chi or her bushido or whatever that asian thing is.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

back when swim suits for women were becoming popular it was en vogue to have a big rear end 'beach house' that was usually wood and tarp and cloth that servants would carry down to the beach (obv if you had money, not if you were a poor)

then they'd carry it down to the water so the woman can bathe in the bathing suit (the big one piece ones) without plebes getting an eyeful

in 2016 I could jack to a different naked lady every single time and never run out of naked ladies to jack to lmao the future is now

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

jon poop

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

john pop a squat

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

jon plop

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don't get that joke that the thread title is based on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

freeedr posted:

jonnnnn pop ba duba dop ba du bop ba duba dop ba du bop ba duba dop ba du
yeah, yeah

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

freeedr posted:

http://youtu.be/NHozn0YXAeE

Some of the "doo bop"s sound like "jon pop"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
doo doo bop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

http://youtu.be/NHozn0YXAeE

Some of the "doo bop"s sound like "jon pop"
No they don't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FactsAreUseless posted:

No they don't.

Cmon just pretend for a specific thread injoke jeez

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why would you reach for that instead of noticing the mmmbop/Jon pop rhyme like right there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Acne Rain posted:

Why would you reach for that instead of noticing the mmmbop/Jon pop rhyme like right there

:ssh: Karate Bastard is 12 years old and did not grow up with the song.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Acne Rain posted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there such thing as a catchy hanson song?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

PBS Newshour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXGPrcwUAg&t=186s

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PBS Newshour posted:

There was the b-side track, "Mmmbop"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PBS Newshour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGGVIkcyWU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
who jon pop

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Jon Pop? This is Jon Pop speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.”

+50 pages ad nauseum

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

more great hits from noted pedo defender "Data Graham"

Data Graham posted:

gently caress it, I'm gonna say something about My Little Pony, so if you don't wanna deal with it skip this post. I think it's relevant though.

Never mind what you may or may not think about bronies. This isn't about them. What interests me is the advent of a "kids' show" that punches above its weight and grabs attention that wouldn't otherwise be due it, and that breaks new ground in important ways that make opinion-making commentators sit up and take notice. I'm also interested in how such a show changes and matures with time, especially as the people involved in its creation come and go.

MLP is a show that took everybody by surprise when it came out not just because it was several steps above its predecessor shows in quality, but also because it seemed to be remarkably socially progressive in some key ways, particularly in featuring a heavily majority female cast and treating femininity as a "default" condition for society (and making it just not be a thing that mattered in-universe). It was patently a feminist show, one designed to primarily appeal to girls but not to make them feel like anything but normal diverse interesting people; and that's attributable in large part to Lauren Faust, the creative force behind the show during its development and first season. Cartoon fans know Faust as a big mover and shaker in the Powerpuff Girls/Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends creative universe, and this was her big break and her chance to do something serious and meaningful and positive for girls in particular.

But Faust left the show under mysterious circumstances at the end of Season 1, and it's never really been made clear what happened. Fans have been left to speculate fruitlessly. And to stare hard at the show and pick it apart season by season, to see what it was like before and after its creator left. Because there is a difference before and after—a subtle one, and one that it's easy to pretend doesn't even exist, and one that is remarkable in how subtle it is, really (most shows get retooled beyond recognition when their creators leave—see Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Ren & Stimpy, etc), but it's there nonetheless. From Season 2 onward the show seems more self-aware, more injokey, more daring; but it's also less innocent, less effortless, less cohesive. There's a "story arc" to it (and this is why I'm bringing this up); it's not a particularly good one, and certainly not in the league of what Steven Universe is doing, and it's not what anyone would call coherent even if they're making allowances for the show being driven by toy sales and sudden edicts from the corporate mothership. But this arc has nothing to do with what Lauren Faust might have intended to do; it's basically veteran writers guessing at what she might have had in mind and sort of lurching awkwardly in obvious directions. There's not much in the way of foreshadowing or intelligent mystery-sowing or anything like that. The comedy remains at a level that's entertaining for all ages, adults included; but the overarching narrative is squarely kids' fare.

It's hard to know whether this change has to do with Lauren Faust's leaving or not. The season she presided over had some great episodes from a critical standpoint, but also some of the show's worst clunkers ever. As progressive as the show seems in some ways (like the finale that takes a "Prince Charming" trope and subverts it mercilessly), Season 1 also contains some of the most disappointingly regressive things imaginable (there is an episode in which the ponies go to the Old West and meet a herd of buffalo that wear headdresses and talk in heap big injun voices and there is a cowboys-vs-indians war and because every episode ends with a moral message, this episode's moral is literally "both sides should share their resources and get along"). And while the show has continued to produce strong episodes to this day, sometimes it does goofy and disappointing poo poo like shy away from confirming that two fan-favorite characters who had been presumed to be in a lesbian relationship are actually involved—not by outright denying it, but by weakly winkingly queerbaiting, by having them declare to the camera that they're BEST FRIENDS LOL and then stare meaningfully into each other's eyes while the screen heart-wipes to black and then the director goes on Twitter to reiterate that they're JUST FRIENDS. Queer fans have not been amused.

I bring all this up because watching the show has been a fascinating social experiment as well as a great behind-the-scenes artistic meta-narrative. I of course would love to have seen what in an alternate universe would have happened if Lauren Faust had never left. Would she have kept a more coherent plotline in place? Would she have pushed boundaries in a different way? Of course we'll never know, and she isn't talking (she says it's too painful to even watch the current seasons knowing it's not her baby anymore). BUT we have an eerily similar situation here with Steven Universe. We have a creator who's as ambitious and as gifted as Faust behind the wheel; and this time, at least from what we've seen, there's no hint of internal politics or dissatisfaction that might cause Rebecca Sugar (or IanJ or others) to ever have to leave. This time around we do get to see what a show that's avowedly pushing the boundaries of what subject matter is fair game in a kids' cartoon will look like when its creators are able to keep it on course over the long term. We get to see how someone who places extraordinary value on subtle references and foreshadowing and other little storytelling flourishes gets to exercise that skill as season after season unfolds. In many ways it's like getting to see the other half of a controlled experiment, where one run went a certain way and now we get to tweak one variable and run it again. Of course it's not anything like that clinical; there are a million differences between the two shows and their circumstances. But the similarities are eye-opening to someone who enjoys both shows and is interested in seeing what both of them will end up doing to the world of cartoons in the long term.

I hope this isn't bannable; but seriously c'mon, it's 2015. And I know there's plenty of overlap in viewership of the two shows, including among people ITT, which is kind of my whole point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

There's a link here, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

more like, who's not jon pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Travis343 posted:

more like, who's not jon pop.

Once you pop, you can't stop.