Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Navabi is cool and good when they don't give her stupid rear end plotlines like being angry at Ressler because he slept with her and dumped her.

I could have sworn in the episode where they found the data node that Navabi was about to be blown up by a self-destruct mechanism. She was the only one inside, while Ginger McGee was safely outside. Seeing how nonchalantly they 'deleted' Meera, it'd fit.

PaybackJack posted:

She needs to go just so that they can drop the stupid unrequited love angle with Aram.

Or Aram finally needs to hit his 'forever friend-zoned' breaking point and become a supervillain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Actually, this was the best episode because it was all Spader with none of the rest of this show's garbage cast.

Agreed.

Spader makes the show.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Wheeee posted:

Actually, this was the best episode because it was all Spader with none of the rest of this show's garbage cast.

I hope that this episode means that they're ready to make the show totally Spader-centered. That's probably too much to hope for though.

Also, I assumed that Baz was some sort of stunt guy and that's why he kept showing up as a background character, but it turns out that's not quite it:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sooooooo if the woman Red was playing Home Alone with last week was Liz's mom but the black haired chick introduced in this episode is being suspected of being Liz's mom then either Red was played or two main characters are flat out guessing wrong directly to the audience. Wat.

Also Aram getting high is the best.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I mean, I guess they could say that Lotte Verbeek (who played Katarina in Red's vision) could be playing the younger version of Famke Janssen, but that's kind of a stretch. I mean, Famke is about 18 years older in real life, but she certainly doesn't look like it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, I guess they could say that Lotte Verbeek (who played Katarina in Red's vision) could be playing the younger version of Famke Janssen, but that's kind of a stretch. I mean, Famke is about 18 years older in real life, but she certainly doesn't look like it.

We already know Famke's name - and while 'Charlie' might be her *new* name, it'd also be a safe assumption that if you were a believed-to-be-dead former badass KGB super-spy, you'd probably be lethal well into your 60s. Look at Helen Mirren's 'RED' character...or more appropriately, Lena Olin's from "Alias."

But, she's probably *is* Liz's mother - because this show likes to think it's clever in how it foists ~gotcha~ moments on its audience.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We already know Famke's name - and while 'Charlie' might be her *new* name, it'd also be a safe assumption that if you were a believed-to-be-dead former badass KGB super-spy, you'd probably be lethal well into your 60s. Look at Helen Mirren's 'RED' character...or more appropriately, Lena Olin's from "Alias."

But, she's probably *is* Liz's mother - because this show likes to think it's clever in how it foists ~gotcha~ moments on its audience.

Well she would definitely have a new name of some kind. I'm just saying that if Famke turns out to be playing Katarina it's an interesting move to have two different actresses who look so close in age play the role in such close proximity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Well she would definitely have a new name of some kind. I'm just saying that if Famke turns out to be playing Katarina it's an interesting move to have two different actresses who look so close in age play the role in such close proximity.

My guess is the more plausible ~twist~ is that Famke isn't Lizzy's mother, but rather Lizzy's mother's slightly younger sister. So an *Elena* Derevko, not Irina. Brian Dennehy's father character said 'his daughter,' not 'his only daughter.'

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is the more plausible ~twist~ is that Famke isn't Lizzy's mother, but rather Lizzy's mother's slightly younger sister. So an *Elena* Derevko, not Irina. Brian Dennehy's father character said 'his daughter,' not 'his only daughter.'

Holy poo poo I just realized I'm a terrible person because I thought "That dude reminds me of Brian Dennehy, but he killed himself". And I just now remembered that was Brian Keith, not Dennehy. DOH.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Medullah posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I'm a terrible person because I thought "That dude reminds me of Brian Dennehy, but he killed himself". And I just now remembered that was Brian Keith, not Dennehy. DOH.

What hosed with my mind is that my first thought was "holy poo poo, Jon Voight's really let himself go."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But didn't he tell Red "As far as I'm concerned you killed my whole family"? And the whole retreating into solitude move would be pretty insensitive if he had another daughter out there kicking around.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Daikoku posted:

I hope that this episode means that they're ready to make the show totally Spader-centered. That's probably too much to hope for though.

Also, I assumed that Baz was some sort of stunt guy and that's why he kept showing up as a background character, but it turns out that's not quite it:

Despite the ridiculous name, it's nice to see I had cause for thinking he was so cool.

quote:

Bazzel Baz is a former CIA agent who takes on the most impossible cases. And he doesn’t charge the heartsick family of the missing a penny. With volunteer help from other retired intelligence officers, Baz travels all over America and the world, covertly getting in and out of countries some of us can’t even pronounce. His goal is getting children back to where they belong. So far, Baz and the boys have a 100% success rate. They’ve safely brought home 53 children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/the-patron-saint-for-miss_b_122603.html

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Octy posted:

Despite the ridiculous name, it's nice to see I had cause for thinking he was so cool.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/the-patron-saint-for-miss_b_122603.html
God loving dammit he deserves the entirely bad rear end role they've given him on the show and I hope they never kill him off. gently caress, he'll be the only one surviving the entire show at this rate.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaveKap posted:

God loving dammit he deserves the entirely bad rear end role they've given him on the show and I hope they never kill him off. gently caress, he'll be the only one surviving the entire show at this rate.

I honestly thought that CNBC pic was a joke screencap from when that guy appeared on another show. He's loving real? He does clandestine Jason Bourne/James Bond poo poo in real life and does Blacklist as a joke side job lmao.

Speaking of Bond:
http://www.traileraddict.com/urge-2016/trailer

Pierce Brosnan, Tom Keene, The lead from Youre The Worst, and Hyde from 70's show go on a weekend resort drug binge and poo poo gets dark.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

bring back old gbs posted:

I honestly thought that CNBC pic was a joke screencap from when that guy appeared on another show. He's loving real? He does clandestine Jason Bourne/James Bond poo poo in real life and does Blacklist as a joke side job lmao.

Speaking of Bond:
http://www.traileraddict.com/urge-2016/trailer

Pierce Brosnan, Tom Keene, The lead from Youre The Worst, and Hyde from 70's show go on a weekend resort drug binge and poo poo gets dark.

Ryan Eggold is not in that movie. You're confusing him with Justin Chatwin.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So we got Lizzie killed, yay, but it means more of Aram being a complete nitwit. Great!

I like how that one cop got killed and nobody cares.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Does anyone really think Liz is dead? Because the longer this goes on, the more it seems like one big Batman Gambit.

I can't shake the feeling that this was all just a covert operation that was done in order to draw out some bad guys. The only question is who's behind it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

tarlibone posted:

Does anyone really think Liz is dead? Because the longer this goes on, the more it seems like one big Batman Gambit.

I can't shake the feeling that this was all just a covert operation that was done in order to draw out some bad guys. The only question is who's behind it.

I think the doctor friend and Mr. Kaplan lady slipped her something. Red (and maybe Tom) isn't in on it and really think she's dead. Same with the FBI team. Closed casket funeral = she's not really dead.

I assume Meagan Boone took a few episodes off for maternity leave. She was pretty far along in the last episode she was in.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mouse Dresser posted:

I think the doctor friend and Mr. Kaplan lady slipped her something. Red (and maybe Tom) isn't in on it and really think she's dead. Same with the FBI team. Closed casket funeral = she's not really dead.

I assume Meagan Boone took a few episodes off for maternity leave. She was pretty far along in the last episode she was in.

Yeah that Fixer lady definitely did something, I hope she has her own plan going on with Tom.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It'll be a real shame if they bring her back because the show is infinitely better without her.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tao of lmao posted:

It'll be a real shame if they bring her back because the show is infinitely better without her.

The only thing that gives me 'hope' that they might've actually done something interesting by killing her off is that they're putting plenty of ancillary female presence (both new and existing) in for Red to play off of. We already know Red likes to get high when he's upset - if they want her to come back, it can be in a dream or drug-addled haze.

That being said, the show is infinitely better NOW because she's not around, but I could see it getting tedious if she *is* dead and they never take the 'black armband' off. I could also see the show becoming tedious if it turns into a running case of 'Who Shot J.R.?'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 9, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Well, there's some speculation that Alexander Kirk (or perhaps.. Kurke...) is Lizzie's real dad. What better way to bring her back than to do so while some plot contrivance is happening with him.

Also I can't stop laughing at the show not even acknowledging that last episode, they speculated that Scottie was Lizzie's mom. "What? Did we say that? Nah, we never said that. Ignore that. While you ignore that, ignore this dead cop who was just trying to make ends meet. Really, ignore all the innocent deaths going on. Isn't it crazy we killed Lizzie though?! OMG!" (This is me commenting on the fact that this show kills off so many random people, it's hard to feel bad about an important character dying.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DaveKap posted:

(This is me commenting on the fact that this show kills off so many random people, it's hard to feel bad about an important character dying.)

I was pretty convinced they were going to kill off Samar when she was the only person in the house with the servers in it. As much as I like her character, her death *might* coax Aram to find his balls...or lose them entirely.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

tao of lmao posted:

Feels like the exact same show to me

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I had a dream I was watching the next episode and they brought Lizzie back and I straight up yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I'm sorry did I say dream? I meant nightmare.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I'm glad they killed off Liz - she was dull, and the least entertaining (along with dresser). Anyways, Spader makes the show.

Here's hoping they don't cop out / jump the shark to bring Liz back.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I like Liz because she makes Tom happy and Tom is the second best character in the show after Spader.

Don't take that away from him thread :smith:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Looks like tonight is part 1 of 2 of the finale. Less than 8 days from now we'll know for sure (until the surprise twist when she returns middle of next season)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I bet they build it up until we're convinced that Liz is coming back... and then the reveal... and it's Fish Mooney from Gotham!

Meanwhile, on Gotham, Professor Strange sends Fish over to Dahlmacher for a body switch, and who is the newest gangsta bitch in Gotham? Liz!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I like Liz because she makes Tom happy and Tom is the second best character in the show after Spader.

Don't take that away from him thread :smith:

Tom is only good when he's not involved with anything to do with Liz though.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Well that was kind of a weird ending.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked the Turkish embassy infiltration plan. It was very "Mission: Impossible"-esque.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Did they seriously set up the spin-off as the reverse-Blacklist :psyduck:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

My suggestion for S4:

Red: "Have I ever told you about the summer I spent busking in this little town in Czechoslovakia? There was a cafe on the corner that made the most exquisite buchty, they'd just melt in your mouth."
Tom: "I don't want to have anything to do with your plan, also I'm super agitated."
Red: "Come on, we have work to do."
[30 minutes of Tom and Dembe wrecking bozos]
[Red confronts bad guy]
Red: "You know, this reminds me of this little inn on the Sardinian coast. The innkeeper kept whippets. It was the damnedest thing."
[Red shoots bad guy in face]
(repeat x22)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Gonz posted:

I liked the Turkish embassy infiltration plan. It was very "Mission: Impossible"-esque.

Yeah the action stuff was good, but it was just a but wierd that it seemed like they were setting up some sexual tension between Tom and what's her face only for the ending reveal that she is his mother and all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cless Alvein posted:

Yeah the action stuff was good, but it was just a but wierd that it seemed like they were setting up some sexual tension between Tom and what's her face only for the ending reveal that she is his mother and all.

I had the same thought. That being said, this reveal lessens my faith in the spin-off, even though I'm pretty sure Famke can pull off the semi-legit Carmen Sandiego character.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I had the same thought. That being said, this reveal lessens my faith in the spin-off, even though I'm pretty sure Famke can pull off the semi-legit Carmen Sandiego character.

The opening was basically "Famke Janssen is the female Red Reddington and is always 19 steps ahead of everyone and is super smug about it", so i'll give the spinoff a shot.

Plus, Famke Janssen. :allears:

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
I hope the spin off is called "The Bigger Blacker List"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cless Alvein posted:

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that Red was just loving with Tom and fed him some disinformation so he didn't kill Scottie.

• Locked thread