Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

punk rebel ecks posted:

And Capcom approved it.

You said "this is what happens when Capcom has free reign" as if they don't almost always have free reign over what their games look like, didn't make like 20 other absolutely beautiful fighting games, and also used an example of a project Capcom had very little to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
People can't take a joke a suppose...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3s is amazing looking. mvc2 has a nice look too. since then nothing really has grabbed my attention from capcom in terms of art

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fereydun posted:

can someone pinpoint the moment when punk rebel ecks went from 'clueless guy asking about basic details of games' to noted historian and expert i stopped paying attention

It's whenever he kept making GBS threads on MVC3 and only you and I knew he was full of poo poo whereas everyone else thought it was business as usual because man shits on MVC3

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fereydun posted:

can someone pinpoint the moment when punk rebel ecks went from 'clueless guy asking about basic details of games' to noted historian and expert i stopped paying attention

Baal posted:

It's whenever he kept making GBS threads on MVC3 and only you and I knew he was full of poo poo whereas everyone else thought it was business as usual because man shits on MVC3

Please tell me of all the times I stated and acted as the supreme fighting game expert.

Feel free to go through every single post I've made in this thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, let me tell you what a tempting offer that is.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please tell me of all the times I stated and acted as the supreme fighting game expert.

Feel free to go through every single post I've made in this thread.

That's not fair, we moved to a new thread.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

mvc3 is an ok game and if they removed xfactor, xchange attacks (or whatever they are loving called) and changed the meter cost of a couple of supers around (I can think of one that cost 1 that needs to be 2 and one that costs 3 that needs to be 2), and put she-hulk back to how she was in vanilla it'd be close to a great game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

mvc3 is an ok game and if they removed xfactor, xchange attacks (or whatever they are loving called) and changed the meter cost of a couple of supers around (I can think of one that cost 1 that needs to be 2 and one that costs 3 that needs to be 2), and put she-hulk back to how she was in vanilla it'd be close to a great game.

if you change the entirety of mvc3 it would be a great game yeah

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Baal posted:

Oh man, let me tell you what a tempting offer that is.

If it would be too difficult for you to find any sort of evidence by my apparent constant behavior, then don't make wild accusations.

mycot posted:

That's not fair, we moved to a new thread.

That was over a month ago. I can no longer find the thread on Games discussion and don't have the ability to search. If I came off as elitist before, then I apologized. But I see no reason why I deserve such scrutiny just for one offhand comment. It's not like anyone else here has their hands clean in that regard.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 13, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

that is hardly the entirety of the game, in fact, that isn't very much at all.

and you'd still need to do some hit box and character origin point tweeks and probably kill tag combos dead too and it'd be pretty great.

it's really got nothing wrong with it on the level of sfv.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

punk rebel ecks posted:

If it would be too difficult for you to find any sort of evidence by my apparent constant behavior, then don't make wild accusations.

I'm not wasting my time proving you say dumb poo poo a lot, dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

that is hardly the entirety of the game, in fact, that isn't very much at all.

and you'd still need to do some hit box and character origin point tweeks and probably kill tag combos dead too and it'd be pretty great.

it's really got nothing wrong with it on the level of sfv.

change the main comeback mechanic of the game, the main combo mechanic of the game, and a bunch of hitboxes and meter costs/meter building costs of the game and it would be great

I know that because MVC3 is faster and harder to get into than SF4 it's supposed to be the newer game we're all behind but it's more unbalanced garbage than SF4 AND SF5. gently caress, SG is a better Vs. game than MVC3. If we're going about how Capcom sucks now, that game does not get a pass.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dias posted:

change the main comeback mechanic of the game, the main combo mechanic of the game, and a bunch of hitboxes and meter costs/meter building costs of the game and it would be great

I know that because MVC3 is faster and harder to get into than SF4 it's supposed to be the newer game we're all behind but it's more unbalanced garbage than SF4 AND SF5. gently caress, SG is a better Vs. game than MVC3. If we're going about how Capcom sucks now, that game does not get a pass.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should've put lady in mvc3

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dias posted:

lmao and also add blanka to the game

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

That was over a month ago. I can no longer find the thread on Games discussion and don't have the ability to search. If I came off as elitist before, then I apologized. But I see no reason why I deserve such scrutiny just for one offhand comment. It's not like anyone else here has their hands clean in that regard.

Here's an accusation: fight me in kof 98

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Those are powerful rebuttals I can answer with the following sentence: play Melty Blood.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

air exchanges and x-factors are far too deeply imbedendendahahahahahahaha

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Marvel 3 is piece of poo poo but it's the kind of massive turd that you proudly boast about to your friends

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Baal posted:

lol if this is a problem everyone in this thread is in serious trouble

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baal posted:

Doesn't stop people from wanting to make the Big Callout every couple of pages.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zand posted:

lol if this is a problem everyone in this thread is in serious trouble

Rip Me

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Baal posted:

Rip Me

and me

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

They used 3D models in their sprite process. There is no way they would let those assets go to waste.

EDIT - I found a video comparing KOFXIV and XIII's animation. It does seem that there are a lot of similarities between the two games. That said there are a few differences. You can really see the effects of animation between 2D and 3D.

No, the models used for KOF13 were super basic, undetailed things, and proportioned pretty differently from the KOF14 models. Here's Mai's, for example. No matter what, they were entirely redone. They may have imported the original animations as a basis but it's just as possible they merely referenced the kof13 sprites directly, like what happened with Guilty Gear. As for letting assets go to waste, japanese companies are pretty well known for being poor at even keeping old assets in the first place, and SNKP isn't the least chaotic of companies, so all bets are off.

In Training posted:

Yeah, it's a shame they'll probably never do sprites again because HD sprites are a nightmare to make or whatever, but I'm glad the game exists at all and looks like fast fun. And shockingly it's going to come out feature complete, imagine tht
It's kinda tricky, the short version is sprites aren't a nightmare to make at all, but 3d consoles didn't have much video ram and you need it to store the tons of sprites necessary to have fluid animation (Sprites also can't account for extra costumes, which are important for monetization these days). It's worth noting, however, that being constrained by video memory largely happened because developers were using the same old methods rather than applying modern graphic techniques to sprites. Skullgirls, handling six 1000+ frames hi-res truecolor layered characters on the same console where Blazblue was struggling with two 500 frames 256 colors pixelated characters, illustrates what you can do when you throw a motivated programmer at the problem (for the technically inclined among you, Skullgirls manages this because its sprites are stored compressed, and very well compressed, in system memory and only the required sprites for a given frame are decompressed and sent to video memory, while Blazblue just keeps all its frames uncompressed as textures).

Well, on a lot of levels Skullgirls illustrates that sprites aren't expensive as long as you're willing to modernize your methods. However you probably need to drop things like pixel art style, as *that* will scale poorly production-wise as sprites get more res.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The technique used by Xrd also doesn't work with extra costumes either, since you'd have to redo a ton of meshes used in animations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arzachel posted:

The technique used by Xrd also doesn't work with extra costumes either, since you'd have to redo a ton of meshes used in animations.
Actually, that's a common misconception on the net but has never been mentioned by Arcsys people. Having had a close look at the models myself, there aren't that many meshes that need being remade, because it's things like smears, cartoony faces or Milia's hair, that you don't actually need to change for a different costume. Even Milia's hair's a dozen meshes or so, compared to several hundred frames for sprites. And because it's all skeletal animation, once you've got the new meshes (and can easily reskin them thanks to XSI Softimage's gator), you're done. Elphelt's Revelator costume is already an indication that it works fine, and I dare say we'll see more alternate costumes as Arcsys grow more comfortable with their tech.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Everyone talking about visuals in modern fighting games, and nobody mentions how absurdly pretty Tekken7:FR is looking?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Well, yes Tekken 7 does visually look great. It's just funnier to bring up KOF14 when it looks (or looked) like a PS2 game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well the PS2 generation was best gen ever, so full steam ahead

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chev posted:

No, the models used for KOF13 were super basic, undetailed things, and proportioned pretty differently from the KOF14 models. Here's Mai's, for example. No matter what, they were entirely redone. They may have imported the original animations as a basis but it's just as possible they merely referenced the kof13 sprites directly, like what happened with Guilty Gear. As for letting assets go to waste, japanese companies are pretty well known for being poor at even keeping old assets in the first place, and SNKP isn't the least chaotic of companies, so all bets are off.

Oh wow, didn't realize they were that bad. Terry's picture I posted earlier looked better. Guess my theory was incorrect.

Chev posted:

It's kinda tricky, the short version is sprites aren't a nightmare to make at all, but 3d consoles didn't have much video ram and you need it to store the tons of sprites necessary to have fluid animation (Sprites also can't account for extra costumes, which are important for monetization these days). It's worth noting, however, that being constrained by video memory largely happened because developers were using the same old methods rather than applying modern graphic techniques to sprites. Skullgirls, handling six 1000+ frames hi-res truecolor layered characters on the same console where Blazblue was struggling with two 500 frames 256 colors pixelated characters, illustrates what you can do when you throw a motivated programmer at the problem (for the technically inclined among you, Skullgirls manages this because its sprites are stored compressed, and very well compressed, in system memory and only the required sprites for a given frame are decompressed and sent to video memory, while Blazblue just keeps all its frames uncompressed as textures).

Well, on a lot of levels Skullgirls illustrates that sprites aren't expensive as long as you're willing to modernize your methods. However you probably need to drop things like pixel art style, as *that* will scale poorly production-wise as sprites get more res.

This is a good point. Over two decades later we can still see the effects of hardware makers making consoles for 3D gaming rather than 2D gaming.

Booyah- posted:

Here's an accusation: fight me in kof 98

Message me next time I'm on Steam.

Chev posted:

Actually, that's a common misconception on the net but has never been mentioned by Arcsys people. Having had a close look at the models myself, there aren't that many meshes that need being remade, because it's things like smears, cartoony faces or Milia's hair, that you don't actually need to change for a different costume. Even Milia's hair's a dozen meshes or so, compared to several hundred frames for sprites. And because it's all skeletal animation, once you've got the new meshes (and can easily reskin them thanks to XSI Softimage's gator), you're done. Elphelt's Revelator costume is already an indication that it works fine, and I dare say we'll see more alternate costumes as Arcsys grow more comfortable with their tech.

How have you had a close look at the models? Serious question, the second sentence of your post has me curious.

EDIT - Just realized you most likely just imported the models from the PC version.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 13, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Probably went through the Pc versions files or has an uncle at arcsys

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Spuckuk posted:

Everyone talking about visuals in modern fighting games, and nobody mentions how absurdly pretty Tekken7:FR is looking?

Tekken 7's looking real nice, but it'd look even nicer on my TV and in my PS4.

Some day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So that Castlevania Judgment game, does it have a story mode or are those clips from an arcade mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

Tekken 7's looking real nice, but it'd look even nicer on my TV and in my PS4.

Some day.

Im excited

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

So that Castlevania Judgment game, does it have a story mode or are those clips from an arcade mode.

That's the story mode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

That's the story mode

Awesome, I just bought a copy, thanks.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

How have you had a close look at the models? Serious question, the second sentence of your post has me curious.

EDIT - Just realized you most likely just imported the models from the PC version.

Real hurthling! posted:

Probably went through the Pc versions files or has an uncle at arcsys

Yup! The beauty of middleware engines is, really, anything that can read UE3 models (umodel for example) can mostly read models from Xrd (though being a programmer myself i have made viewers for specific games in the past for my use), minus the cartoony shaders. PC works fine, though I actually started with a rip of the PS3 version, mind you. I was and to some extent still am obsessed by Xrd's models, translated (badly) those articles about them, too, and was in Tokyo when they had the second loketest (though that technically was a coincidence).

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

Awesome, I just bought a copy, thanks.

It's a really lovely fighting game, but I have playing it because of how bad it is. Idk why this one in particular sets off my enjoyment of it so much over other really bad FGs, but there's something about it that just makes it easy to gently caress around and do poo poo and that's fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

It's a really lovely fighting game, but I have playing it because of how bad it is. Idk why this one in particular sets off my enjoyment of it so much over other really bad FGs, but there's something about it that just makes it easy to gently caress around and do poo poo and that's fun to me.

I've seen video of the fighting and it looks kinda stupid but I have been on an intense Castlevania kick recently and wouldn't mind loving around in a dumbass story mode to round out my experience. And it was like 3 dollars.