Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think they should've cooked AMSP a bit longer because while a lot of the material on the album is strong the order of the tracks is pretty lame.

I think it's overstuffed, too long, too busy. Not a mistake I thought they'd make again.

What is it with the track listing, anyway? Why is it in alphabetical order? They either decided to just go with them alphabetically, in which case that surely can't be the optimal track list, or retroactively named the tracks to make them alphabetical, in which case they surely can't be the optimal track names. (It would explain the weirdness of some of the names, though.)

And yes, Amnesiac is the best.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've come to the conclusion that the music on this album is really good but that Nigel Godrich's production is awful and spoils the whole record for me. Everything sounds so flat and muddy and hazy, like looking at a beautiful painting from behind a glass covered in oily fingerprints.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I think the album cover is shite n all. Just bland, bland bland. A return to the IR swirls-n-shapes thing but without the interest.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I think it's overstuffed, too long, too busy. Not a mistake I thought they'd make again.

I disagree with but understand most of your previous points but this one. 11 tracks of satisfying length, the total time about the same as OK Computer, were much appreciated this run following a short album that could have used some more meat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Princeps32 posted:

I disagree with but understand most of your previous points but this one. 11 tracks of satisfying length, the total time about the same as OK Computer, were much appreciated this run following a short album that could have used some more meat.

OK Computer runs too long.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I never, ever, listen to The Tourist and the album should've ended with Lucky. So OKC is exactly 5 minutes and 27 seconds too long.

TKoL is the perfect length.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 13, 2016

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
We're going to have to seriously agree to disagree on that one.

Come on TKOL felt like a hairs breadth away from an EP when it came out and somehow some of its songs still ran too long

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm with Beanpole. OK Computer owns, but it's a touch too long. Whereas I really value how concise and boxed-in TKOL is - it's a fizzing knot of energy. To me it's more important how much sense a bunch of songs make together than it is how long the running time adds up to.

Part of the reason I think AMSP feels too long to me is the sameness of the arrangements, and the way the edges blur together, like I said. By the end of it, I've had enough, and am in no mood to sit through True Love Waits.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Christ, those overdubbed tinkling pianos. Do it on one track, please, not four.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 13, 2016

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

OK Computer runs too long.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I never, ever, listen to The Tourist and the album should've ended with Lucky. So OKC is exactly 5 minutes and 27 seconds too long.

TKoL is the perfect length.

On the one hand this opinion is so blatantly wrong that I want to laugh at you and call you an idiot.

On the other (correct) hand I know I'd be the idiot if I did that and just think it's cool that a band can create songs which result in such completely different viewpoints. The Tourist is awesome and one of the best tracks on OK Computer IMO but yeah, that's just my opinion.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

And to add a little controversy to that quisling post: Lucky is the weakest track on OK Computer behind the pair of Fitter Happier/Electioneering. It's a bland and stereotypical song saved only by the fact that Radiohead can turn a bland and stereotypical song into something at least mildly interesting.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Popcorn posted:

What is it with the track listing, anyway? Why is it in alphabetical order? They either decided to just go with them alphabetically, in which case that surely can't be the optimal track list, or retroactively named the tracks to make them alphabetical, in which case they surely can't be the optimal track names. (It would explain the weirdness of some of the names, though.)

I think it was either to troll leakers or because they were sick of disagreeing about the order (I know they said they had a lot of problems with that for HTTT). At least one song was renamed; "Numbers" was once called "Silent Spring".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

On the one hand this opinion is so blatantly wrong that I want to laugh at you and call you an idiot.

On the other (correct) hand I know I'd be the idiot if I did that and just think it's cool that a band can create songs which result in such completely different viewpoints. The Tourist is awesome and one of the best tracks on OK Computer IMO but yeah, that's just my opinion.

Happy to split the difference and cut both songs. No Surprises is a better ending by far.

Uh oh, nevermind, it would just be a lowly "EP" by that point. :silent:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unlike films, individual songs or books, albums can't be too long. If there are tracks you don't want to listen to then don't.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Unlike films, individual songs or books, albums can't be too long. If there are tracks you don't want to listen to then don't.

Oh trust me, I don't.

But "albums can't be too long" is some whack bullshit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh trust me, I don't.

But "albums can't be too long" is some whack bullshit.

They can certainly be too short. :)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Thom Yorke seemed pretty blatant in saying that they didn't really swing for the fences on TKOL. It's hard to imagine anything about that album being perfect other than it's sonic textures.

Also my consensus on this album is that it's pretty good! If there's any complaint it's that the final two songs are pretty weak: Tinker Tailor feels like yet another slow song on an album filled with them and the album's rendition of True Love Waits does nothing for me.

But other than that way to go Radiohead you made another good album that has it's own sonic identity.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

????

Do you regard albums as random collections of songs?

Do you regard songs as random collections of sounds?

Mutant Standard posted:

Thom Yorke seemed pretty blatant in saying that they didn't really swing for the fences on TKOL.

No he didn't. Ever.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

They can certainly be too short. :)

hoist by my own petard :arghfist::3:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Christ, those overdubbed tinkling pianos. Do it on one track, please, not four.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about how much I liked that on my most recent listen.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Is it just my imagination or is the rhythm track on Ful Stop pretty much the same as Bodysnatchers?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Is it just my imagination or is the rhythm track on Ful Stop pretty much the same as Bodysnatchers?

Yep, it's almost the same - snare on the backbeat, syncopated kicks. Which is probably why I like it so much. But it's more complicated, with fills and some extra snare work from Clive.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 13, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

And to add a little controversy to that quisling post: Lucky is the weakest track on OK Computer behind the pair of Fitter Happier/Electioneering. It's a bland and stereotypical song saved only by the fact that Radiohead can turn a bland and stereotypical song into something at least mildly interesting.

Testament to the variety in Radiohead opinions that someone can think of Fitter Happier and Electioneering as weak.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

On Reviewchat, that Kid A review is one of my favorite reviews of all time because jesus it's just so Pitchfork (at least, how Pitchfork was seen by people who didn't like pitchfork).

Brent DiCreszenzo's reviews were all as terrible as it - he did a pretty great (in that it's terrible) review of Lateralus by Tool, and wrote a review of Ben Folds Five's Reinhold Messner that was 3/4 him name dropping celebrities he saw at a movie premiere and then finishing with "oh yeah and the album sucks 3.3/10

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/645-the-unauthorized-biography-of-reinhold-messner/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 13, 2016

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Similar though bodysnatchers is in 4/4 while Ful Stop's a weird kind of 6/4 or 6/8. Not sure exactly, but as a drummer I'd count it as six beats. It's neat.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Decades posted:

Similar though bodysnatchers is in 4/4 while Ful Stop's a weird kind of 6/4 or 6/8. Not sure exactly, but as a drummer I'd count it as six beats. It's neat.

It's 6/4. But that doesn't make a huge difference to the drumming.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah it doesn't, more the bass line. The drumming feels like 4/4 for most intents and purposes, you'd just need to know what's up with the bass line to keep oriented

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

I've come to the conclusion that the music on this album is really good but that Nigel Godrich's production is awful and spoils the whole record for me. Everything sounds so flat and muddy and hazy, like looking at a beautiful painting from behind a glass covered in oily fingerprints.

No no no no no.

You couldn't be more wrong. This is the most Godrichy album Radiohead has ever put out and that's a huge part of why it sounds so great. That Godrich sound on Sea Change and HWGM's Different Ship is distinctively present here. And it's loving beautiful. Nothing sounds flat or muddy. I listened to the album on high end studio monitors and the album is perfectly crisp and lush.

Godrich is probably the greatest producer who has ever lived.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I am astonished by the lead guitar tone on Identikit. It sounds brittle and strung-out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

olin posted:

No no no no no.

You couldn't be more wrong. This is the most Godrichy album Radiohead has ever put out and that's a huge part of why it sounds so great. That Godrich sound on Sea Change and HWGM's Different Ship is distinctively present here. And it's loving beautiful. Nothing sounds flat or muddy. I listened to the album on high end studio monitors and the album is perfectly crisp and lush.

Godrich is probably the greatest producer who has ever lived.

Godrich might have something in common with Phil Spector here in that he should've been more hands off, which is to say that even the greats can stumble. As for Sea Change, it borrowed its shtick from a far superior album.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Popcorn posted:

I think the album cover is shite n all. Just bland, bland bland. A return to the IR swirls-n-shapes thing but without the interest.

:agreed: But then Radiohead album covers have always been rubbish. There is not a single one which is decent, which is suprising as you would expect an art rock band to better in that respect. I haven't seen any of the singles' covers.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think you people are crazy if you think Radiohead covers are bad. I love the cover art for this album and it's singles though so I don't know.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, Radiohead's cover/booklet art from Kid A onwards has been consistently amazing (with the possible exception of HttT). Don't know what you're chatting there.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Stanley's art is great. AMSP is the exception.

I dig the Burn the Witch single art.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I'm with Beanpole. OK Computer owns, but it's a touch too long. Whereas I really value how concise and boxed-in TKOL is - it's a fizzing knot of energy. To me it's more important how much sense a bunch of songs make together than it is how long the running time adds up to.

Part of the reason I think AMSP feels too long to me is the sameness of the arrangements, and the way the edges blur together, like I said. By the end of it, I've had enough, and am in no mood to sit through True Love Waits.

I agree wholeheartedly that there isn't some "ideal" length, cohesiveness is much more important. TKOL left me a bit cold partly because the two halves didn't seem to go together so it felt like a short mix of ideas, tied together initially by skittering rhythm until the slow songs drop the bottom out. (also because I'm in the minority and think Little by Little is boring and drops the momentum that the first two songs built up.) Codex is a pretty song but as someone else stated it's very much a standard Radiohead piano ballad and it brings the album to a screeching halt. I felt like a couple more songs fleshing the ideas out, maybe trimming the existing songs just a bit, and maybe dropping Codex to b-side status, would have helped the flow and turned it from a still very good album into a great one. Neither Supercollider, nor staircase/daily mail really fit in to the feel of the album though, and the Butcher is a bit half-baked, so they probably just ran out of ideas with that particular songwriting method they were using at the time.

Maybe the fact that Give up the Ghost is my second favorite track next to Bloom on TKOL informs my opinion more than this probably shoddy attempt at semi-objective reasoning though. I liked Radiohead dreamy and melodic best even prior to the album release, so I was already primed for the direction they ended up taking, and am actually left wanting just a bit more from this latest one. As you stated, you're more into the rhythm based pieces, and AMSP certainly has much less of that.

Happy to split the difference and cut both songs. No Surprises is a better ending by far.

Uh oh, nevermind, it would just be a lowly "EP" by that point. :silent:

This opinion is objectively wrong though. I'll fight you. I can't imagine that album without the Tourist closing it out.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

As for Sea Change, it borrowed its shtick from a far superior album.

I'll bite... which album?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I absolutely love this album, but I agree it should at the very least not be in alphabetical order. It's almost as if they don't even care if anyone tries to experience it as an album anymore. There might be a worse choice for an album opener, but not many would have been worse than Burn the Witch. Ful Stop should definitely be the first song, kind of in the vein of Packt Like Sardines.

I also kind of agree with the production complaints, it's so quiet and hazy that it only works with headphones or a great sound system that you can turn up loud. If you listen on computer speakers to something like Ful Stop or Identikit, you're missing a lot and you'll probably think the song is boring.

The cover art does suck too.

quote:

I agree wholeheartedly that there isn't some "ideal" length, cohesiveness is much more important. TKOL left me a bit cold partly because the two halves didn't seem to go together

Speaking of which, I remember in the TKOL thread that a bunch of people thought that it was only half the album, and that Separator's lyrics "If you think this is over/Then you're wrong" meant there'd be more coming.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 13, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

olin posted:

No no no no no.

(A Punchup At A Wedding)

I abhor overwrought string production, and IMO this ain't it. In fact my immediate impression was that there's a lot of sonic breathing room on this album. Quite pleasant to listen to (despite the harsh feeling of the music).

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Popcorn posted:

I feel the same way. I'm used to Radiohead albums having a lot more variety and being something interesting that you can really sink your teeth into. AMSP is just dull, repetitive and hollow, there's just nothing really there and the whole album blurs together a bunch of tracks that sound the same and go on for far too long. This is easily tied with Pablo Honey for being their worst album for me, which is really disappointing because Burn the Witch & Daydreaming showed a lot of promise and they had some incredible material ready for AMSP, but what they actually did bring forward was ruined. There's nothing wrong with albums being this length when they're actually interesting though, the reason AMSP falls apart is just because it's so dull. The only real standout moment is 2:30 into Identikit because of how comical it is.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SgtScruffy posted:

On Reviewchat, that Kid A review is one of my favorite reviews of all time because jesus it's just so Pitchfork (at least, how Pitchfork was seen by people who didn't like pitchfork).

Brent DiCreszenzo's reviews were all as terrible as it - he did a pretty great (in that it's terrible) review of Lateralus by Tool, and wrote a review of Ben Folds Five's Reinhold Messner that was 3/4 him name dropping celebrities he saw at a movie premiere and then finishing with "oh yeah and the album sucks 3.3/10

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/645-the-unauthorized-biography-of-reinhold-messner/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/

The F Plus has an old episode where they read some of the worst music reviews, and DiCreszenzo comes up a looooot. Hearing it read out loud takes some of those sentences to a level beyond ludicrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/ranking-every-radiohead-song-from-worst-to-best/

tired of ranking albums? let's rank every loving song including b-sides motherfucker

A list that ranks Thinking About You over Dollars and Cents, a shameful list