Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love how every flat web page nowadays that displays two paragraphs of text has to be an react/angular SPA that downloads a meg of JS and then somehow takes another 500ms in parse/execution time and then you get to wait for all the text to shift when some unnecessary webfont is done downloading. You should probably go ahead and preprocess the gently caress out of a few thousand lines of unused CSS client side too, that's super hip!

The future kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't wish SSIS on my worst enemy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pivo posted:

and Excel is not meant for doing any kind of heavy work, move that poo poo into MSSQL if you're a Microsoft shop and do SSIS workflows or just manually-run stored procs or something.

This is dumb. I'm sure you're willing to explain all this to the people in marketing that use spreadsheets to organize their projects.

Excel has a lot of use that importing into a sql server would be incredible overkill for.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

This is dumb. I'm sure you're willing to explain all this to the people in marketing that use spreadsheets to organize their projects.

Excel has a lot of use that importing into a sql server would be incredible overkill for.

Excel is all fine and good but once you're starting to find Excel being CPU-constrained on modern processors, your workflow MIGHT a problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
We have a bunch of nerds who insist on 64 bit excel because they love using the wrong tool for things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah you've obviously not worked in big business if you think you can drop excel and none of your clients will care. It's absolute dogshit, but it's industry standard and never going away.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No its like running a complex formula on 10k rows is ok, but once you're importing 2m rows from CSV into Excel and then running complex formulas on each one and then exporting it, YOU MIGHT BE USING THE WRONG TOOL.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah you've obviously not worked in big business if you think you can drop excel and none of your clients will care. It's absolute dogshit, but it's industry standard and never going away.

The reason it's standard is because you don't need to go to IT every time you want to crank out a report quickly that you may never use again. For every report I've seen that has become business critical, at least 10 were discarded. This is why enterprise tools are ignored for things like Excel at the operations level in businesses around the world. The enterprise tools appeal to the C-level and/or IT crowd and give about ten minutes of thought to the end user.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

No its like running a complex formula on 10k rows is ok, but once you're importing 2m rows from CSV into Excel and then running complex formulas on each one and then exporting it, YOU MIGHT BE USING THE WRONG TOOL.

The second the dept above me found out I was running databases while not being part of that specific team with an ISO clearance, there was an urgent call placed and my server was literally pulled out of the wall - not even shut down. Business doesn't work logically, and I've run so many millions of lines through Excel it's not even funny. The shock in my colleagues face when I told them 'that Excel 2003 has a hard limit of 65k lines and you're putting in 200k... You know that right?' because they didn't write a routine to split the data up, and Excel didn't bother reporting back that it had hit a limit. And so this obviously changed how things were done? Of course not.

Multinational company, and I dealt with $200m accounts that had to go out every week*, and not a cent could be misplaced. Of course I had the last laugh...

(We all lost our jobs and the work has been outsourced to India).

* that particular report was around 100k lines long and approx 50 columns wide across 25 tabs with a few million complex calcs. It was a loving nightmare, and Excel is absolutely the wrong tool. I know that, you know that, try telling the bosses that and you'll just get a blank stare.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 13, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So how often do Apple prototypes make it on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231941515441

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh dang that's neat. I still miss that big screen, and Im hoping this upcoming refresh includes a 16-inch model, or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember an editor I worked with years ago had the 17" and I could never get over how massive and cool it was.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm digging that 1920x1200 16:10 Display.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Seems unlikely to be real. Intel didn't (as far as I know) ever market mobile Core 2 chips as Xeons, I don't think that branding idea came about until quite recently. The screenshots show it as having Intel HD graphics, but the released 2009 unibodies had dual graphics, and neither one was Intel (it was Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT).

The screenshots also claim dual core 2.4 GHz, which would be a weird choice given that the previous year's pre-unibody 17" had a 2.5GHz C2D CPU as the low end option.

I mean none of it's impossible. Maybe the mobile Xeon idea is many years older than I think and they just decided to cancel it before product launch. Apple plausibly would've prototyped an alternate motherboard using Intel's chipset instead of NVidia's, and that one would have Intel integrated video. Preproduction CPUs might not be at full clock rate yet.

It just doesn't feel quite right though, especially the Xeon and 2.4 GHz angles.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I plugged a spare cinema display into my Mac Pro 5,1 and now every time I wake the thing up from sleep the mouse cursor starts to jerk about. A restart seems to fix this but its a bit annoying as it was fine before.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love how every flat web page nowadays that displays two paragraphs of text has to be an react/angular SPA that downloads a meg of JS and then somehow takes another 500ms in parse/execution time and then you get to wait for all the text to shift when some unnecessary webfont is done downloading. You should probably go ahead and preprocess the gently caress out of a few thousand lines of unused CSS client side too, that's super hip!

I feel compelled to post the transcript of the idle words talk on this: The Website Obesity Crisis. I'm sure many of us have seen it before, but it's really good, so check it out if you haven't.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Excel is absolutely the wrong tool. I know that, you know that, try telling the bosses that and you'll just get a blank stare.

Luckily I work for a market research / big data analytics company. Our scientists do poo poo in Alteryx and then we re-implement in SQL or C#, often from scratch because scientists suck at producing well-running workflows. Or sometimes they use Alteryx to produce final data, whatever.

So. Not an issue for me. ;-) Sucks your bosses suck though.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Hey, it's Pivo irrelevant story time!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

Hey, it's Pivo irrelevant story time!

There's more where that came from.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

More real world rMB report (MacBook 9,1 Intel Core m5).

So, today was/is a real stress test for me and it's passing so far.

I have a lot of project work on my plate, and this is what I've been running non-stop since 5:30 AM Central Time.

MS Word 2016 - Heavy document revision day.
MS Excel 2016 - No heavy lifting but referencing data tables
MS Outlook 2016 - self explanatory
Lync 2011 - again self-explanatory
Cisco AnyConnect VPN - active all day
Heavy network traffic via RDP, ssh and shitposting on this site (802.11ac)
Also YouTube at times
Skype Meetings App
PDF Expert for PDF review and annotation

No noticeable lag or throttling. I'm sure there's some going on, it's just there's nothing that's made me go "What the gently caress?"

Normally, I'd using Skype for Business, SA app, and PDF Expert on my iPad Pro, but I wanted to try a day using ONLY the rMB.

On battery this whole time, and latest shows 3:20 left. So I'm looking at about 8-9 hours to full drain with this level usage. I'm still very happy with it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 13, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I feel compelled to post the transcript of the idle words talk on this: The Website Obesity Crisis. I'm sure many of us have seen it before, but it's really good, so check it out if you haven't.

Does anyone have this picture in text form so I can add more easily to my NoScript blacklists?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FCKGW posted:

I'm digging that 1920x1200 16:10 Display.

Wasn't that standard on every 17" MBP produced? You can still get one if you want, just with older hardware.

BobHoward posted:

Seems unlikely to be real...
It just doesn't feel quite right though, especially the Xeon and 2.4 GHz angles.

Doesn't explain the green PCB.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Doesn't explain the green PCB.

True. Funny thing about that: I've seen several Apple prototypes from an earlier era and those used PCB colors like red and black to differentiate prototypes because back then production hardware used green soldermask.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd buy it if it were spec'd higher and didn't have constant 100% fan but then I tell myself I really shouldn't be buying prototypes to actually use.

How does one of these make it into the wild anyway? Apple HQ asset tracking more of an honor system? Employees taking prototypes home for testing and keeping them? Leaving the company and not turning in all your stuff? Falls off a proverbial truck?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd buy it if it were spec'd higher and didn't have constant 100% fan but then I tell myself I really shouldn't be buying prototypes to actually use.

How does one of these make it into the wild anyway? Apple HQ asset tracking more of an honor system? Employees taking prototypes home for testing and keeping them? Leaving the company and not turning in all your stuff? Falls off a proverbial truck?

Idk about Apple but usually the way it happens it that someone has an engineering sample ('prototype') and they 'lose it'. They report it to the company as lost, sometimes there's some blowback, but ... well, okay, I haven't worked at Apple, but I've worked for an aerospace company that had government contracts, and some guys were off at a conference and left their laptops on top of a rental car and just drove off and lost them obviously. They weren't admonished despite the fact they had information on there that required security clearance!! At Apple, they might have been, but remember how the previous prototype got into Gawker's hands? Some guy just lost it at a bar, right?

There's tons of Intel engineering samples in the wild, if you're willing to look for them. Apple is rare, but poo poo happens. People just lose them, or pretend to lose them and sell it.

That's life!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

The asset tracking isn't even close to an honor system, it's watched VERY closely. The only way I can think of keeping a device is that someone marked this stolen / lost and it's now resurfaced. Since the serial is plainly visible, someone is going to have a bad day.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I've no idea about Apple, but I used to work for a different phone manufacturer and can absolutely understand those leaking out into the wild.

Back in the crazy years before there was just one flagship launch per year, proto handsets were in abundance and really not as rare as you'd think. A proto run would still produce probably a few thousand devices (based purely on the number our office had vs total number of developers) and over time everyone built up a bank of phones in their desk drawers that they never touched again. Sure they were tracked reasonably carefully, but they were very rarely recalled and most just fell beyond public interest. The logging was mostly in case unreleased/cancelled devices leaked out.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

All these rMB trip reports are awesome. Can't wait for a month to play with all the new stuff!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Snowmankilla posted:

All these rMB trip reports are awesome. Can't wait for a month to play with all the new stuff!

Same. Gonna grab one once they hit the refurb store.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
I have a rMB 9,1 m5 also.

This thing is loving awesome. VMWare Fusion with W10, no problem. Battery life is insane.

Honestly thought it would be too underpowered for me, but it rules.

Edit: iStat Menus just sent me a new beta that shows temps for it, too. Because seeing that stuff just really makes my aspergers feel good.

ideate fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 15, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ideate posted:

I have a rMB 9,1 m5 also.

This thing is loving awesome. VMWare Fusion with W10, no problem. Battery life is insane.

Honestly thought it would be too underpowered for me, but it rules.

Edit: iStat Menus just sent me a new beta that shows temps for it, too. Because seeing that stuff just really makes my aspergers feel good.

Your laptop is boiling!

What is this Fahrenheit poo poo? I hope.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

An 84C trackpad would burn your fingers so I think it's safe to assume that's Fahrenheit.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone remember how (un)reliable Zip-100M/250M/750M compared to jaz-1G/2G? Doing a retro build with a B&W G3 and trying to pick one of these drives. Well, I've already got the Zip-750 on order. Just trying to figure out if I want to also grab a Jaz-2G.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
JAZ drives are a shitton faster and more expensive than Zip drives, but they also do that thing where a drive goes bad and ruins every disc/cartridge you insert. I still have 25 or so cartridges and five or six working drives, both 1 and 2GB versions.

My experience was that people tended to be much more careful with the cartridges and therefore they -seemed- more reliable, but they still crapped out a lot. Back in the day, KMFDM lost a completed album when a JAZ drive died.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I get a Jaz-2G, should I get an Iomega SCSI PCI or Adaptec? Are either of them supported natively in 10.4/10.5 or will I need to install a -hard to find- driver?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently still working with a 2009 15 inch MBP and wondering if I should go for the more portable 13" rMBP or the 15" rMBP when it comes out. Has anyone who used a 15" went down to the 13" and been satisfied with the less screen real estate?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

Currently still working with a 2009 15 inch MBP and wondering if I should go for the more portable 13" rMBP or the 15" rMBP when it comes out. Has anyone who used a 15" went down to the 13" and been satisfied with the less screen real estate?

I just went from 15" to 12" (rMB), and I'm good with the screen (mostly). I've found using Desktop Spaces is a real help here. I also use TotalSpaces to help with layout and navigation --I've set up a grid of 2x3 Spaces, three-finger swipe in every direction, and turned on the option to allow me to "circle-around". It's not *necessary*, but it makes navigation and management of my desktops easier. As things stand right now you will have to disable SIP, so if you're uncomfortable with that you won't be able to use TotalSpaces.

For programs where a larger screen is more or less necessary, I hook up to an external for that (mostly just PyCharm).

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
In both of your cases, you can do a minor tweak to activate 1920x1200 HiDPI modes. The 12" is great @ 1680x1050.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Shaocaholica posted:

If I get a Jaz-2G, should I get an Iomega SCSI PCI or Adaptec? Are either of them supported natively in 10.4/10.5 or will I need to install a -hard to find- driver?

I've found the cheapest/easiest SCSI card for PowerMac OSX setups is the Adaptec 2930 Mac Edition.

I know 10.4 has a built-in driver, and I think Leopard does too, or else I inserted the 10.4 kexts into the 10.5 install, it's been awhile. Be sure to get the Mac edition, as the PC versions won't work without firmware fuckery. Adaptec 2906 cards work too, but you can't boot from them.

I've never been able to get the Iomega SCSI cards to work under OSX, I think there's only support for OS8/9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's funny how in the old days you used to be able to read the text while waiting for the image elements on the page to load, whereas now you can look at all the pretty pictures while you wait for the text to display.