Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

stevewm posted:

Why does everyone hate small business? :(

If you didn't suck you'd grow more and be a real enterprise, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sheep posted:

If you didn't suck you'd grow more and be a real enterprise, obviously.

I'm waiting for the Pro SKUs to disappear entirely. Its going to be Enterprise or bust.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

stevewm posted:

I'm waiting for the Pro SKUs to disappear entirely. Its going to be Enterprise or bust.

Oh, hell no.

If they stick me on the equivalent of "Home" and remove all of the Pro features to drive me to an SA license for my house, I will not only never touch Windows again, I will actively work to sabotage their enterprise client base through some combination of blackmail, wine, and/or Mac OS X.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Decided to finally upgrade to 10 from 7. svchost.exe -k netsvcs has been using one core @ 100% for half an hour now, download hasn't even started. Do I just wait a few hours or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Decided to finally upgrade to 10 from 7. svchost.exe -k netsvcs has been using one core @ 100% for half an hour now, download hasn't even started. Do I just wait a few hours or something?

No, Something Happened.

I suggest downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool, create bootable media and enter your Windows 7 product key to activate it.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

The Goatfather posted:

Here's my fun windows 10 problem for the day: Dad called all in a panic because windows 10 updated last night and today it boots to a black screen with cursor before the login screen. All the instructions to fix it require safe mode but most of those instructions require you to be in working windows first. The option to enable safe mode from the install media's repair environment just doesn't exist- there's no "Startup Settings" at all under advanced options (and startup repair fails to repair anything). We had a similar problem a few months ago, also after an update, and it just loving fixed itself after a few reboots and unproductive trips in and out of the recovery environment, so I don't know what did it. This is all on an extremely special snowflake refurbished lenovo thinkcentre with no lenovo recovery poo poo on it. :toot:

I looked but didn't see a useful answer. Best way to get into repair mode/safe mode/etc is to do this:

When the machine starts booting windows and shows the flag, turn the computer off. Hold down the power button, pull the batteries, power cable...whatever.
Do this until Windows starts in repair mode. This will usually take 3 times.
Then, you can choose what to do. Go back in time, reset machine, go into safe mode, all that good stuff you used to get with shift-f8 or f8.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

nielsm posted:

Are you on a domain and use GPO and/or other central management?
In that case, it seems like you should not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but should really instead get a Software Assurance deal and run Enterprise edition instead. Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.
Hm, thanks. We are and do, but last time I looked at SA/VL it was crazy expensive - like triple the price of doing things the 'normal' way.

stevewm posted:

We're not even that small, but basically this!

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 13, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm sure this has been said a few dozen times but holy poo poo is the windows 10 mail program loving garbage. You seriously need to use an online account to add contacts and can't store them locally, what theskaiodsofdm

Ok, I'm done ranting. Is there an email program that would do the only thing I liked about Windows 10 Mail (having emails show up in the Notifications icon)? Or should I use another program?

Thanks.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GPF posted:

I looked but didn't see a useful answer. Best way to get into repair mode/safe mode/etc is to do this:

When the machine starts booting windows and shows the flag, turn the computer off. Hold down the power button, pull the batteries, power cable...whatever.
Do this until Windows starts in repair mode. This will usually take 3 times.
Then, you can choose what to do. Go back in time, reset machine, go into safe mode, all that good stuff you used to get with shift-f8 or f8.

I honestly hate Microsoft so much just for this one thing, not being able to get to those options easily on boot.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Node posted:

I'm sure this has been said a few dozen times but holy poo poo is the windows 10 mail program loving garbage. You seriously need to use an online account to add contacts and can't store them locally, what theskaiodsofdm

Local contacts is super dumb and extremely susceptible to loss, not to mention device specific (which is less and less useful in a world where most people use more than 1 computer, such as their phones). This is one thing Microsoft got right straight away in Windows Phone and wisely transported to Windows.

Get any one of a half dozen free email accounts and bam, now your contacts are safe forever.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So I haven't upgraded yet. My computer is currently only sporting a 1TB HDD, would it be possible to use the free upgrade program to clean install 10 onto a new SSD while leaving the existing HDD alone?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I honestly hate Microsoft so much just for this one thing, not being able to get to those options easily on boot.

It's been that way since 8. Hold shift then click reboot. That will prompt you to boot into safe mode directly without having to hit F8.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't 'hate', but I am disappointed that it takes that kind of action to get to the repair section now. Workarounds are ok, but ok don't get the job done all that well, specially since they removed an ability rather than improving the ability.

Irritated Goat posted:

It's been that way since 8. Hold shift then click reboot. That will prompt you to boot into safe mode directly without having to hit F8.

Does this work from a full restart with a non-functioning OS?

GPF fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 13, 2016

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GPF posted:

I don't 'hate', but I am disappointed that it takes that kind of action to get to the repair section now. Workarounds are ok, but ok don't get the job done all that well, specially since they removed an ability rather than improving the ability.

Does this work from a full restart with a non-functioning OS?

Considering the "click restart" portion, No. The safe mode method needs to change regardless. When you have SSDs booting to Windows in 5 seconds or less, hitting F8 even on a non-functioning OS is a pain. The easy idea solutions aren't good either though. Prompt at start? They'll get bitched at into oblivion. SSD boots too fast for most key combinations. Where do you go from there when the OS doesn't work?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Irritated Goat posted:

Considering the "click restart" portion, No. The safe mode method needs to change regardless. When you have SSDs booting to Windows in 5 seconds or less, hitting F8 even on a non-functioning OS is a pain. The easy idea solutions aren't good either though. Prompt at start? They'll get bitched at into oblivion. SSD boots too fast for most key combinations. Where do you go from there when the OS doesn't work?

Well, I just went over to a co-worker who has a very fast booting SSD laptop. Shift and start from power off doesn't work, but as soon as I saw the Windows flag, the power button directly shut the machine down quickly and easily. Did it 3 times and it came up in repair mode.

If you're not even getting the flag screen due to something like a missing boot device, then boot that machine off a Win 10 disk. Should let you get into a repair mode and might be able to fix the missing boot device problem itself.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Really, when it comes down to it, we're in a transition zone that I've already lived and had to work through multiple times.

The original transition from mainframe centralized computing to office closet centralized to desktop computers to pretty much two competing personal computing standards, Microsoft and Apple.
The transition of PC RAM from DIP to SIP to SIMM to DIMM to wtf ever is new these days
The transition from standalone to modem/serial connections to local networks to a common worldwide always on network
The transition from a limited text-based OS to a multitasking text based OS to a graphic overlay OS to a flat memory OS to a fully graphic OS
The transition from CPU only to CPU/FPU to CPU/FPU in one package to Multiple Processors to Multiple Cores to CPU and GPU processing
The transition from ISA to EISA to VESA Local Bus Video to AGP to PCI to PCI-X
The transition from ROM boot to floppy boot to multiple different floppy boots depending on what you wanted to run to HD boot to Optical drive boot to Flash boot with Network boot thrown in there somewhere for good measure

I've dealt with every damned one of these and even some that I've forgotten. It sucked then and was a huge pain in the rear end.

Now we're in the transition from BIOS to UEFI and transitions always suck. So, if I wanted to be a dick about it, I'd say suck it up and learn how to deal with new poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I saw a cheap Lenovo laptop with a separate on/off button to boot into repair mode, presumably referencing a separate rescue partition on the hard drive. Fairly similar to the reset switches you have to press with the point of a pen on other electronic things.

That seemed like a sensible way to deal with that.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GPF posted:

Well, I just went over to a co-worker who has a very fast booting SSD laptop. Shift and start from power off doesn't work, but as soon as I saw the Windows flag, the power button directly shut the machine down quickly and easily. Did it 3 times and it came up in repair mode.

If you're not even getting the flag screen due to something like a missing boot device, then boot that machine off a Win 10 disk. Should let you get into a repair mode and might be able to fix the missing boot device problem itself.

The Shift+Right Click method only works inside Windows. It should bring up a screen that has a choice to reboot to Safe Mode.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Irritated Goat posted:

The Shift+Right Click method only works inside Windows. It should bring up a screen that has a choice to reboot to Safe Mode.

Yep. I was hoping beyond hope that firing up Win 10 with the Shift held down would get it into repair mode, but there you go.

Either way, we've come up with 4 ways to get a Win 10 system into repair mode: (operational OS) MSCONFIG or Shift-Rightclick power button on screen, and (non-operational OS) boot with a Win 10 disk or shutdown during startup 3 times. I'll bet there's at least a couple more we didn't cover...some kind of weirdo bcdedit fiddling, and maybe a way that involves candles, matches, and buns. But, when it comes down to it, there's the replacements for F8/Shift-F8.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I miss windows 3.1. Whenever windows was being a butt I could just boot into DOS and fix it from there.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Just seems bizarre that a company would allow their games to be sold Steam-only and then gently caress over the people that already bought the game. Angry man yells at cloud computing.

They want you to buy it again

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Getting into windows boot options is tough enough on a fast new 10 system, but try getting to the BIOS options! Even hammering on DEL from before pushing the on button wouldn't do it

Once I had fast boot turned on, the only way I can get back into bios is with one of the motherboards windows utilities "boot to BIOS screen" options. Not a big deal now that everything is stable, just a pain in the rear end because I'm sure next time I do need in there I'll forget about that ha

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Getting into windows boot options is tough enough on a fast new 10 system, but try getting to the BIOS options! Even hammering on DEL from before pushing the on button wouldn't do it

Once I had fast boot turned on, the only way I can get back into bios is with one of the motherboards windows utilities "boot to BIOS screen" options. Not a big deal now that everything is stable, just a pain in the rear end because I'm sure next time I do need in there I'll forget about that ha

Same thing, hold shift while doing a restart, then one of the options is get into UEFI which does exactly that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

Local contacts is super dumb and extremely susceptible to loss

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

:golfclap:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

:vince:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I haven't upgraded yet. My computer is currently only sporting a 1TB HDD, would it be possible to use the free upgrade program to clean install 10 onto a new SSD while leaving the existing HDD alone?

Sorry if I'm being a bit pushy with this but does anyone know? I have an opportunity to get a pretty nice SSD today and I don't want it to go to waste if it can make the upgrade painless.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Sorry if I'm being a bit pushy with this but does anyone know? I have an opportunity to get a pretty nice SSD today and I don't want it to go to waste if it can make the upgrade painless.
If you have your windows key, you should be able to straight up install windows 10 to the ssd. Disconnect the hdd while you're doing that to prevent a bunch of random problems.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stevewm posted:

It makes it less tempting for enterprises to cheat the licensing.

Plus small businesses usually just pirate home versions of their software anyway.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you have your windows key, you should be able to straight up install windows 10 to the ssd. Disconnect the hdd while you're doing that to prevent a bunch of random problems.

This is what I wanted to hear. Thanks man. :)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
What, exactly, is not available in 10 that small businesses would care about? The only thing I know about is AppLocker.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I got tired of the nagging so last week I finally said yes, upgrade me, do it. And Windows thanked me for reserving my upgrade and said it would notify me when my upgrade is ready. And then nothing for a week. If I go to the little windows icon it just thanks me and tells me my notification is coming soon. WTF windows?

Windows 10 is totally ghosting me. :mad:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just download the media creation tool and run it from within windows, you don't have to actually create any media

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else had the issue with Windows Explorer refusing to highlight selected folders/files?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f7mwx/help_windows_explorer_is_not_highlighting/
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...63-e860397c2016
http://superuser.com/questions/956031/items-in-explorer-not-changing-color-when-selected-in-windows-10

No solid fix (restart explorer.exe or computer - to me that isnt a fix).

I have - at least in my case - narrowed it down to happening when running remove desktop from my Surface Book to my desktop, which is something I guess, but it seems like it's widespread enough that its probably not only caused by that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Nope, not had that issue.

The current preview gave me constant crashing when logging into windows, so I rolled back.
My action center icon is a dash with a wide v beneath it in the corner, and rolling back hosed my mail app. Fun!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Apropos of my earlier "will upgrading to win10 and then swapping motherboards after the upgrade window expires nuke my win10 install" question, apparently some people have successfully done it within the upgrade window, by swapping motherboards and then calling MS support to re-activate. And there's this tweet from some guy at microsoft saying that this should work in general (as it did for win7 and win8).

On the flip side, there's also a lot of people reporting that MS support doesn't seem to have gotten the memo, there's no formal commitment to this policy, and there's no assurance that it will continue to work after the upgrade window expires. :sigh:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of my earlier "will upgrading to win10 and then swapping motherboards after the upgrade window expires nuke my win10 install" question, apparently some people have successfully done it within the upgrade window, by swapping motherboards and then calling MS support to re-activate. And there's this tweet from some guy at microsoft saying that this should work in general (as it did for win7 and win8).

On the flip side, there's also a lot of people reporting that MS support doesn't seem to have gotten the memo, there's no formal commitment to this policy, and there's no assurance that it will continue to work after the upgrade window expires. :sigh:

I tried this and after like 3 hours on support gave up and reloaded Windows 7, reactivated that, and then upgraded.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
My desktop abruptly shut down and upgraded to Windows 10 despite me declining to schedule it previously, and now I'm having activation issues. I was running Windows 7 Pro with a key I got from an MSDNAA program at my college several years ago. Windows 10 Pro refuses to activate with it saying it's the wrong edition, error code 0xc004f210.

A 3rd-party utility identifies my key as being "Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:MAK". Info on the Microsoft website suggests this is an Enterprise edition and I need to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center for help. Attempting that goes nowhere because it wants a business email which I presume is really for whoever at my old school was managing their volume licensing with Microsoft.

So, what the gently caress? Am I completely SOL without paying out of pocket for my own retail key now?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is there a way to tidy up my installed programs list in the control panel? I hate that all the .net stuff has like 50 entries for all the different things :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

timn posted:

My desktop abruptly shut down and upgraded to Windows 10 despite me declining to schedule it previously, and now I'm having activation issues. I was running Windows 7 Pro with a key I got from an MSDNAA program at my college several years ago. Windows 10 Pro refuses to activate with it saying it's the wrong edition, error code 0xc004f210.

A 3rd-party utility identifies my key as being "Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:MAK". Info on the Microsoft website suggests this is an Enterprise edition and I need to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center for help. Attempting that goes nowhere because it wants a business email which I presume is really for whoever at my old school was managing their volume licensing with Microsoft.

So, what the gently caress? Am I completely SOL without paying out of pocket for my own retail key now?

Are you sure it was MSDNAA? Those keys shouldn't be volume license keys.