Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

abagofcheetos posted:

How often are they doing those targets? I mean if you need to successfully complete 10 of them just to unlock a suit, I would expect they would be running quite a lot?

Considering you only get one shot, they better be running them pretty often yeah. If its like once a month that'd be really unfortunate.

I wouldn't mind them just keeping it up all the time with a rotating list of dudes, so every 48 hours we'd get a new one we could attempt. But I guess since each one has a custom backstory and everything it might be too much work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

This is giving me worrying flashbacks to Black Flag's community challenges, which meant that after a certain real life timeframe, there were certain unlocks that were just plain impossible to ever get again. Hopefully whenever they decide to shut the servers down, they set that to automatically unlock or something, or else they've just set up content that will someday be completely impossible to get.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

This is giving me worrying flashbacks to Black Flag's community challenges, which meant that after a certain real life timeframe, there were certain unlocks that were just plain impossible to ever get again. Hopefully whenever they decide to shut the servers down, they set that to automatically unlock or something, or else they've just set up content that will someday be completely impossible to get.

well technically if they ever shut the servers for this game down, it would be pretty much dead and impossible to play.

what's the big deal about the suits unlocked? aren't the suits in the previous games just the same one you wear anyway?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MinibarMatchman posted:

what's the big deal about the suits unlocked? aren't the suits in the previous games just the same one you wear anyway?

If you click the link there's a picture :effort:

Seems pretty drat similar, but the tie is more pink and has a tie clip and the suit is more grey, where the modern version is more red and black?

E: That's the absolution suit, the blood money suit is also available and they mention there are gloved variants. The blood money tie was striped and he wore a pinstripe shirt. They're minor variations but its still cool.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 12, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
A couple of nights ago I had a dream about performing a hit under elusive target conditions. I killed my dude out in the open, then evaded capture through a series of hilarious bugs.

It was fun.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

ThomasPaine posted:

How? I got her DNA from the safe but no idea how to use it.

If you talk to her, she'll go to the big room with all the guards and housemaids and dump the item into the fireplace. If you hurry the gently caress up, you should have enough time to head back to the attic and drop a canister down the flue.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
It will also trigger her to go make another cellphone call if you wanna go the electrocute her route.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Elusive targets should unlock around 5pm GMT, apparently

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

While I really like the idea of Elusive Targets, official new custom contracts with their own background is something I wish they'd add minus the elusive bit as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

While I really like the idea of Elusive Targets, official new custom contracts with their own background is something I wish they'd add minus the elusive bit as well.

Yeah, I'd kinda like it if after the elusive targets timer runs out, they were able to be re-played in a separate mode. You wouldn't get the elusive rewards, those should be part of the challenge of doing it the first time, but if you miss them or if you mess it up, that's an extra assassination target that it could be fun to try again. No reason to throw it away.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm just hoping my one attempt isn't hosed up by people seeing me through walls. :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
New elusive target is good - silent assassin on my first go so I feel like a boss. Impressed by the polish. New dialogue, cutscenes etc. Felt a bit odd having the two targets from the main mission just wandering around at the same time, but I guess it's too much to ask them to totally rework the areas for these secondary bits of content. I did like the intensity of knowing that if you hosed it, that was it. Also enjoyed having zero guidance and having to work with your own judgement/intuition. For example I found the target, and followed him around for a bit. Then he mentioned to his bodyguard that he was going to hit the party then go check on the 'little corporal'. The briefing notes mention he has a hard on for Napoleon, so I knew to expect him in the museum wing where he'd be easier to take out. . I hope they churn these out with some regularity. They've certainly planned in advance with some of the details in the areas/backstory, so I'm hoping they have a pile of them all ready to go which they'll just release periodically.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So here's my question, that I think I know the answer to. Do you just have to kill the target and it automatically counts, or do you have to kill them and then finish the mission as usual and make your escape? I'm guessing it's not as easy as just running up to them and gunning them down in front of their guards to get credit.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

So here's my question, that I think I know the answer to. Do you just have to kill the target and it automatically counts, or do you have to kill them and then finish the mission as usual and make your escape? I'm guessing it's not as easy as just running up to them and gunning them down in front of their guards to get credit.

If you can get away, I assume that's fine. But that's how history will record your kill.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

For The Forger all you have to do is kill him and it counts, just don't die. From the sound of it though other targets will be more like Escalations where they will have other requirements you need to fulfill.

I also hope they just add the targets to the game on their own because its neat. I killed The Forger but I was rather sloppy about it, but hey all that mattered is that I killed him and got out of there.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 13, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

For The Forger all you have to do is kill him and it counts, just don't die. From the sound of it though other targets will be more like Escalations where they will have other requirements you need to fulfill.

I also hope they just add the targets to the game on their own because its neat. I killed The Forger but I was rather sloppy about it, but hey all that mattered is that I killed him and got out of there.

Yeah I just got him (I used the poison syringe because hey, nobody ever uses that), and it was pretty easy. I would like to see them stick around as normal contracts after you beat them just because it's an interesting alternative to running the primary targets over and over again. It seems a waste to add these variations to the level that you can only play once.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i pulled out my gun by accident cos i'd been playing a different game and forgot the controls and died within 30 seconds. pity you can't play it again :'(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Ugh, I failed to realise that you lose Never Spotted if you're caught on camera, even if you delete the evidence. There goes my Silent Assassin :v:

It wasn't too tough of a mission. I started as an AV geek and saw him in one of the rooms next to the starting point. He walked off to the third floor and I subdued the auction staff that was standing around. Poisoned his drink and waited about 10 minutes for him to come back. Suddenly realised his guard would probably notice him dying in front of him and freaked out trying to think of a new approach or if I could somehow unpoison his drink. As soon as they came back I distracted him with the vacuum in the next room, then distracted his bodyguard with a coin before he could follow him in. Shut the door so they couldn't see each other, subdued the guard, then opened the door and shot him in the back of the head as he shut off the vacuum. Hid the bodies and escaped through the basement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

status posted:

Ugh, I failed to realise that you lose Never Spotted if you're caught on camera, even if you delete the evidence. There goes my Silent Assassin :v:

This isn't actually true though? Cameras are a separate category and not related to "never spotted". I have noticed that "never spotted" can be kind of finicky though. I think even if they get suspicious enough to approach you (but don't blow your disguise) that's enough to lose it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This isn't actually true though? Cameras are a separate category and not related to "never spotted". I have noticed that "never spotted" can be kind of finicky though. I think even if they get suspicious enough to approach you (but don't blow your disguise) that's enough to lose it.

I don't know. I read on Reddit that this was the case. I've never paid too close attention to it before. I wasn't spotted at all, other than people walking past me with the question mark above their head when I caused distractions. Never got an alert, or the white hissing noise indicator thing.

Side note: anyone know a fix for the game's resolution being reset to native resolution? I'm trying to play at 1280x720, but it keeps going back to 2560x1440 when I launch the game

edit; just created a contract to test the Never Spotted thing. It's definitely due to the cameras, even if evidence is destroyed.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 13, 2016

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i pulled out my gun by accident cos i'd been playing a different game and forgot the controls and died within 30 seconds. pity you can't play it again :'(

If it's any consolation, you don't get any rewards for killing him.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you will eventually

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well poo poo, I screwed up the timing on sabotaging the camera in the basement and then they instantly homed in on my hiding spot when I ran and shot me to pieces. I hosed it up in under a minute.

The thing that actually aggravates me is that I missed out on the new dialogue.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 14, 2016

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I feel a bit robbed, made my way upstairs decided to get a guard costume. He walked in on me subduing the guard. so I shot him. That was it... he died and I walked out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaffy posted:

I feel a bit robbed, made my way upstairs decided to get a guard costume. He walked in on me subduing the guard. so I shot him. That was it... he died and I walked out.

This is exactly how I imagine it going down when I try, so I'm going to do some warmup practice first :ohdear:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

That was fun. Brought me a feeling of tension that I wouldn't have in a hit normally. I got hit with a non-target kill when I subdued a bodyguard, so only 4/5 Hitmans for me, but other than that I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming elusives. If they could do this every week or every other week, that would be perfect.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zaffy posted:

I just took him and his guard out in the staff stairwell, its actually a really nice place to jump them if you don't mind being sloppy.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

WindyMan posted:

That was fun. Brought me a feeling of tension that I wouldn't have in a hit normally. I got hit with a non-target kill when I subdued a bodyguard, so only 4/5 Hitmans for me, but other than that I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming elusives. If they could do this every week or every other week, that would be perfect.

I agree on the tension. It really made me double-check that all of my angles were covered before taking any action, and even after successfully poisoning his wine and hiding the body, I was nervous right up until the minute I saw the summary screen... though partly because I was afraid the game would randomly lose connectivity and void the attempt for me. Any idea what happens if your network craps out during an elusive target?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

an AOL chatroom posted:

I agree on the tension. It really made me double-check that all of my angles were covered before taking any action, and even after successfully poisoning his wine and hiding the body, I was nervous right up until the minute I saw the summary screen... though partly because I was afraid the game would randomly lose connectivity and void the attempt for me.

I killed him the same way, and also felt the same way for the same reasons. In fact, when I started the game and was about to start the mission for the first time, my game crashed because of a low memory warning which I've had problems with since day one.

an AOL chatroom posted:

Any idea what happens if your network craps out during an elusive target?

You'll automatically try to reconnect on the spot so you don't get kicked out to the menu. A reason for the release delay of the elusive targets was to try to smooth out the always-online aspect of the game with the you-only-have-one-chance aspect of the elusives, and that's what they came up with.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Elusive Trip Report:

My GeForce 970 has been having issues with Hitman and the latest driver set. In fact, the game hard-locked (to the point where I had to alt-F4 the game) twice. Since I hadn't killed him yet, and I hadn't died, I was able to restart the game and the elusive target mission.

I rolled back to the late March/early April nVidia driver set, and was able to successfully whack my target.

I might have panicked just a touch and piano-wired his body-guard in the gallery, but that successfully got them apart! I rat-poisoned his wine, but he never drank it? I got tired of waiting for him, so I knocked out the auction staff in his studio/room, knocked him out, and dumped his unconscious body over the balcony, because gently caress if I didn't want to leave an impression. Nobody on the patio below saw me, so I walked down to the basement and escaped.

That said, I REALLY want to be able to assassinate him again. Looking back over the mission, I really wanted to kill him with a saber in the gallery, just for the irony of it, but I never felt like I had enough time to do so.

I'm also going to echo the sentiment that it feels like a LOT of work for 48 hours of availability. At least one custom character model, probably two or three days of studio time for the voice-work, scripting (both story and procedural)? For something that supposedly will never be available again? I can't see that being a good investment. I'd be perfectly okay with minor tweaks (like additional fail conditions, certain costume/weapon requirements), different/no rewards, or even revolving availability (every second weekend, two days after a full moon, whenever Jim from Accounting clogs the third-floor men's room), but I definitely want to see Larin die by my hands/guns/knives/poisons/bombs/accidents again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wasn't really in a Hitman mood the last couple of days. Does this mean I missed the elusive target? That's stupid.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

marktheando posted:

I wasn't really in a Hitman mood the last couple of days. Does this mean I missed the elusive target? That's stupid.

Yes. It eluded you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marktheando posted:

No.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think the elusive target will be around until the end of the weekend, so you haven't missed anything yet. I do think a weekend is kind of a short window, like give me two weeks or something what if I'm busy? I don't always have time to game like I used to.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well that's good it's around for the weekend.

But surely it would make more sense to make them available all the time, and just limit you to one attempt?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I'm guessing they'll rotate the elusive targets later on when there's more maps and targets.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's good it's still ongoing. I was planning on doing it today.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

For the record, you can totally restart the elusive contract in the middle of an attempt. Like, I did a bad runthrough where i got caught trying to take Kruger's outfit, shot up a bunch of guards, poked around for the target, and generally hosed around. Figured I was totally screwed and made an attempt to just start over and replan the mission; totally did so without any repercussions. It seems like it's possible to restart the elusive contract as many times as you like, so long as it's within the 24 hour window and you don't either die or complete the mission. At least until they patch it out or something, I guess.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

You can't restart once you've killed the target, but can up to that point iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Yeah, it tells you before you start the contract. The target must be alive for you to restart.