Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
They put the awful title right in this backdoor pilot episode, "Gray Matters". ugh

still lollin' that absolutely no one at any point went "Hey, where's Solomon??" after he was shot, despite spending extended screentime with his partner and his employer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crazy8 posted:

I hope the spin off is called "The Bigger Blacker List"

The Black Dress

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So...Scottie doesn't know that Tom's her kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Medullah posted:

So...Scottie doesn't know that Tom's her kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE

Well played, but my gut tells me that - given that we've already been told that Ryan Eggold is going to factor heavily into the new show...

I just don't want a show that has a "should I tell her?!? / you *can't* tell her!" dynamic in *every loving episode*. Especially since the sexual tension isn't going to go away until he does.

Also, god...gently caress you. That song's gonna be in my head for the rest of the night. :argh:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They put the awful title right in this backdoor pilot episode, "Gray Matters". ugh

still lollin' that absolutely no one at any point went "Hey, where's Solomon??" after he was shot, despite spending extended screentime with his partner and his employer

Well, they did, but briefly and nobody seemed to care that much anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well played, but my gut tells me that - given that we've already been told that Ryan Eggold is going to factor heavily into the new show...

I just don't want a show that has a "should I tell her?!? / you *can't* tell her!" dynamic in *every loving episode*. Especially since the sexual tension isn't going to go away until he does.

Also, god...gently caress you. That song's gonna be in my head for the rest of the night. :argh:

Hahah it's like the Ring. Someone mentioned it to me about a week ago and I kept humming it going insane slowly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Octy posted:

Well, they did, but briefly and nobody seemed to care that much anyway.

Solomon is useful, but everyone knows he's the snake/scorpion from the fables. If anything, the look on his face when he realized his mouth finally might have cost him his life was priceless.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So would a vengeful Solomon be a recurring antagonist on the spinoff, or is he just going to come back to Halcyon and be made to play nice with Tom for a hostile work environment scenario? I seem to recall him being mentioned in the press release.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
That was not a good episode imo. No Spader till the end just another garbage NBC spinoff that does not feature spader.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

My suggestion for S4:

Red: "Have I ever told you about the summer I spent busking in this little town in Czechoslovakia? There was a cafe on the corner that made the most exquisite buchty, they'd just melt in your mouth."
Tom: "I don't want to have anything to do with your plan, also I'm super agitated."
Red: "Come on, we have work to do."
[30 minutes of Tom and Dembe wrecking bozos]
[Red confronts bad guy]
Red: "You know, this reminds me of this little inn on the Sardinian coast. The innkeeper kept whippets. It was the damnedest thing."
[Red shoots bad guy in face]
(repeat x22)

I'd totally watch a prequel following Spader, Dembe and the other old man bodyguard build Red's concierge business from the ground up. Even watching Red in business collect his 'shopping list' of all the stuff bad guys want would be more interesting than whatever NBC is planning for the spin off.

Actually NBC, just put Spader in every single show.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I'd totally watch a prequel following Spader, Dembe and the other old man bodyguard build Red's concierge business from the ground up. Even watching Red in business collect his 'shopping list' of all the stuff bad guys want would be more interesting than whatever NBC is planning for the spin off.

Actually NBC, just put Spader in every single show.

I don't think they realize that spader is the only reason people enjoy this dumb show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
omg is scottie liz's mom? LOL PRANK SHE IS TOM'S MOM!

I liked the embassy infiltration and I'd watch the spin-off if it was exclusively poo poo like that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is there a show that is just Ocean's 11 every episode? A show exclusively about elaborate heists? Because if not, how the gently caress has that not happened yet? And can Tom's show be that? That'd be cool.

That said, I loving hate "omg does the download bar finish before the lock-out bar finishes" moments. Really, those are the worst trope.

Anyway, the episode somehow was amazing despite not enough Red. It's great to see the chief from The Shield playing another political role, though. He fits the part so drat well.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Is there a show that is just Ocean's 11 every episode? A show exclusively about elaborate heists? Because if not, how the gently caress has that not happened yet? And can Tom's show be that? That'd be cool.

There's an American show called Leverage that was pretty good about a thief, a hacker, a conman/conwoman, the muscle and a mastermind plan elaborate heists to steal money off evil rich people. Its not hard hitting drama or action but was a fun family show that embraced it's own campiness.

Otherwise the British show Hustle featuring a group of conmen is also pretty good. It's still about thieves conning incredibly terrible and lovely people but the cons are more realistic (most were based on actual cons) and has a more Oceans 11 feel.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DaveKap posted:

I'm not aware of a show where it's exclusively about that kind of thing. White Collar is the closest one I can think of but usually the heists and stuff take a back seat to the crime solving parts, although toward the end it starts to shift a little.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Blacklist spinoff has been officially picked up as The Blacklist: Redemption.

Terrible name but I'll probably watch - the last few episodes since they killed Liz have been genuinely enjoyable.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

blunt posted:

Blacklist spinoff has been officially picked up as The Blacklist: Redemption.

Terrible name but I'll probably watch - the last few episodes since they killed Liz have been genuinely enjoyable.
Holy poo poo, that's actually worse than 'Grey Matters'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The 7,164th thing subtitled "Redemption" or "Rising".

Very clever, you goddamn Hollywood chucklefucks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I look forward to not watching that show ever.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Without spader on the spinoff whats the point? he his basically the beating heart that keeps blacklist going.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

My suggestion for S4:

Red: "Have I ever told you about the summer I spent busking in this little town in Czechoslovakia? There was a cafe on the corner that made the most exquisite buchty, they'd just melt in your mouth."
[30 minutes of Baz and Dembe wrecking bozos]
[Red confronts bad guy]
Red: "You know, this reminds me of this little inn on the Sardinian coast. The innkeeper kept whippets. It was the damnedest thing."
[Red shoots bad guy in face]
(repeat x22)

Fixed that for ya.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I'll give the spinoff a shot. While no one can replace Spader, Famke held her own in that opening segment. She has a somewhat believable weakness as well. Tom is a better main character than Liz and having a whole new crew that isn't Aram/Whitebread/The other girl sounds like an all around improvement.

I agree with whoever said the story was just a lie to get Tom to not murder Scottie.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Tonight: Finale or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykCNch0W6Y

In other news I'm thinking about putting together an actual :effort: OP for next season (probably encompassing both shows) so if anyone's got ideas/gifs let me know.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Roflex posted:

Tonight: Finale or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykCNch0W6Y

In other news I'm thinking about putting together an actual :effort: OP for next season (probably encompassing both shows) so if anyone's got ideas/gifs let me know.

I've always been partial to this one:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got the season right in the thread title, so I did my bit for this thread.

edit: which is probably the least-efforty of all the threads in the TVIV

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

God, even in the preview, Ressler is insufferable. Everyone sucks! ('cept red, ofc)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I knew from the moment that Liz died that she didn't. I'd brag about how brilliant I was for being able to predict this, but c'mon.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Oh my god. No way. I totally didn't see that coming. How shocking.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

tarlibone posted:

I knew from the moment that Liz died that she didn't. I'd brag about how brilliant I was for being able to predict this, but c'mon.

This is the blacklist where everyone is someones daughter/son/whatever and all of the boring rear end characters tend to have plot armor denser than the thickest piece of lead.

az
Dec 2, 2005

God damnit show.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This show is so bad.

So, so bad.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I wonder how many articles there will be tomorrow about this shocking twist that everyone say coming was. The first one anyways. The 2nd one was kinda sorta less obvious?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah the second one even caught me. I think anyone who didn't expect the first one needs to get out more.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Ugh. I knew she was alive but I had hope that the show wasn't as awful as I expected it to be. I dunno what I was thinking.

At least with the spinoff we can get rid of loving Tom finally.

I wish CBS understood why people watch this show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As soon as they figured out it was Mr. Kaplan who sent Tom away, I realized Lizzie was gonna be there. As soon as that guy knocked Tom out instead of straight up shooting him, I knew Kirk was Lizzie's dad. Which means now that we've got all (probably not) the players together, can we please freaking find out how the gently caress Red and Lizzie are connected?

Nope, save that for the final episode of the show. Pffthhhhhhhpbhpbhbphbb

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Gawain The Blind posted:

I wish CBS understood why people watch this show.

If they figure it out maybe they'll tell NBC!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Cless Alvein posted:

If they figure it out maybe they'll tell NBC!

I can totally believe that all of NBC's broadcasting decisions are made by another network.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Maybe it is rose tinted glasses, but the first season was solid enough. It just seems like they had no idea where to go from there so we have been bouncing around from tv trope to tv trope. The shows overarching plot technically moves, but it never actually goes anywhere interesting. The whole cabal thing was built up and more or less torn down with just about no payoff. None of the main characters are ever in any real risk either, which makes the show feel like there are no stakes to it.

I don't really hate watch (at least that's what I tell myself) but I guess I mostly follow it since I like Spader and it kills an hour while I restring a guitar or something. Also, the majority of people are not very discerning and probably did a happy dance when Lizzie was actually alive in a glorious twist no one could have ever predicted. I almost think the next thing we will see is Lizzie's mother, because gently caress it why not. She faked her own death to start the cabal which really isn't the cabal but a secret plot to save the world and populate Mars.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 20, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

We can make jokes that the average person didn't see Lizzie coming back from a mile away but I read a couple popular news articles about the actress giving birth and they both stated "she's taking maternity leave so we'll see how they decide to bring her back to life." pretty matter-of-factly like there was no reason for anyone to think she was actually gone. The only thing that threw me was that Tom's going to head off to a spin-off show and actually-killing Lizzie would have been a great way to send him there. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't think they even took her off the opening credits.

Anyone who is not new to network TV series should have known that Liz was not dead. Like her or hate her, she's one of the two main characters in the show, and the show can't survive without both of them. At least, not yet. Maybe in several seasons, when the show is in decline and looking for experimental ways in which to live for one or two more years... yeah, maybe then we'll buy the death of Liz or Red. But not this soon.

She ain't no Tasha Yar.

• Locked thread