Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Slanderer posted:

They took the UK version off Netflix a long time ago and it broke my heart.

Like people said, a lot of stuff on the American show is played up for drama (and even seemingly minor things are twisted so that every episode has the same plot points half the time, its annoying). But not Amy's. That episode is Too Real

Yeah, I don't really know how else to play that scene where she fires the waitress for asking if she was certain if a pizza was supposed to go to a certain table. Amy was loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Marenghi posted:

Actually that's another trend that annoys me I keep seeing on Facebook. Recipes that seem ridiculously unhealthy which involve mixed ready to eat junk food into a standard recipe and pretending like they re-invented the wheel.

Recent examples I've seen are fried chicken made with crushed doritos in place of seasoning and breadcrumbs. Nutella also seems to be popular among those types of recipes. I've seen pancake wraps with nutella filling and coated in nutella, or nutella sauce spaghetti. The whole trend is depressing seeing adult women going wild for food a 5 year old would dream up.
Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjfZBks6IvI

It started with a whole pack of cinnamon rolls but it really grabbed me with using frosting before baking and then adding ice-cream. It's like unironic Epic Mealitme in white gloves.

I mean, I get having cravings but gently caress.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Who wants the Keurig of tortillas

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

$200 if you join the Kickstarter. $400 at retail. And no, you cannot use your own dough.

I know this is old, but delicious homemade tortillas are the only thing my beloved grandmother was able to teach me to cook (Not through any fault of her own; I just couldn't pick up anything else). They are cheap, easy, and basically the best things on earth.

You can have coffee, hipsters, and broth. You can have the motherfucking Juicero. But don't you put tortillas in a pod. Don't you do that.

E: Jesus Christ, it got funded. :argh:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I know this is old, but delicious homemade tortillas are the only thing my beloved grandmother was able to teach me to cook (Not through any fault of her own; I just couldn't pick up anything else). They are cheap, easy, and basically the best things on earth.

You can have coffee, hipsters, and broth. You can have the motherfucking Juicero. But don't you put tortillas in a pod. Don't you do that.

E: Jesus Christ, it got funded. :argh:

Don't worry, it'll still fail. We're safe.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ha, I just realized that the same conversation probably happened decades ago when bread machines were introduced. At least with those you could just pour in actual ingredients, but ugh.... Now that I brought up bread machines, I'm sure the Artisanal Pinch-a-Loaf with disposable muffin-sized packets of flour will be launched

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sentient Data posted:

Ha, I just realized that the same conversation probably happened decades ago when bread machines were introduced. At least with those you could just pour in actual ingredients, but ugh....

The difference is that with a good bread machine and good ingredients, you still get a much less expensive (and probably healthier) full loaf of bread. With that stupid inbred tortilla machine it's crazy expensive and you get really low-quality tortillas... slowly, one at a time. That would be like getting one slice of bread from a breadmaker at a time, with a quality worse than Wonderloaf.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Scathach posted:

The difference is that with a good bread machine and good ingredients, you still get a much less expensive (and probably healthier) full loaf of bread. With that stupid inbred tortilla machine it's crazy expensive and you get really low-quality tortillas... slowly, one at a time. That would be like getting one slice of bread from a breadmaker at a time, with a quality worse than Wonderloaf.

Also each individual slice would cost you money, give you a cup to throw away/"recycle" (let's be honest), and you couldn't use your own recipe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

somekindofguy posted:

E: For content, why did it matter if the bacon was Applewood smoked a couple of years back? Seemed like several chains were touting it, and I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

I honestly think it just came down to "applewood bacon" being an appetizing sounding word.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Line-caught red snapper
Hand dived scallops
Country fried
slow poached

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
There actually is a bread-pod machine. It was sold at Walmart. $100 for the machine, $5 per pod... To make one loaf of bread. Considering that decent bread around here is $3 a loaf....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People want their food to be special, because everything is so massed produced and impersonal. Companies take the same poo poo we've always bought and repackage it into something that sounds unique so they charge more for it.

In 2016 people want to imagine a humble farmer harvesting their vegetables, someone crushing their grain on a rock, Someone humanely killing a cow that had a great life that is prepared by an old school butcher. They want furniture created by a master craftsmen with old timey tools and cheese made by nuns. None of this poo poo is realistic anymore in the grand scheme of things, so what we generally get are 2 things. A. Corporations re-wording al their packaging to make it sound like we are getting products that give us the right feels and B. Talentless trust fund hipsters masquerading as craftsmen and selling their wares to rich yuppie clowns for absurd prices.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But this is so what my organic gluten-free non-gmo certified paleo orange juice is like when it's being harvested

Totally not exploited migrant workers who get paid very little per bushel and are trucked around in modified end-of-life school buses

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Back in the day, cake mix was totally 'just add water' instant but it sold poorly because it was considered to be used only by kitchen failures who couldn't bake. Betty Crocker hired a psychologist who told them to remove the powdered egg from the mix and add 'just add one egg' to the instructions. It sold like hot err... cakes because now the baker had a tiny degree of agency in the baking process.

Tldr; people are dumb and will pay for the illusion of agency.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We Want Plates!

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/723248849037463552

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Actually that's another trend that annoys me I keep seeing on Facebook. Recipes that seem ridiculously unhealthy which involve mixed ready to eat junk food into a standard recipe and pretending like they re-invented the wheel.

Recent examples I've seen are fried chicken made with crushed doritos in place of seasoning and breadcrumbs. Nutella also seems to be popular among those types of recipes. I've seen pancake wraps with nutella filling and coated in nutella, or nutella sauce spaghetti. The whole trend is depressing seeing adult women going wild for food a 5 year old would dream up.

Palpek posted:

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjfZBks6IvI

It started with a whole pack of cinnamon rolls but it really grabbed me with using frosting before baking and then adding ice-cream. It's like unironic Epic Mealitme in white gloves.

I mean, I get having cravings but gently caress.

Why do these recipe videos remind me of something Sandra Lee would "cook" up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98
Kwanzaa cake with candelabra style candles stuck in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI
Hanukkah cake. And, to answer your question, no it's not Kosher.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

constantIllusion posted:

"And two shots of vodka....."
*GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bo-aeznzY

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Celery Face posted:

"And two shots of vodka....."
*GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bo-aeznzY

The Food Network was expert at finding horrible hosts.
An alcoholic who couldn't cook; a down-south, home-cooking chef who turned out to be a raging racist; and a man with a terrible bleached hairstyle who let Smashmouth get away with not eating the eggs.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

constantIllusion posted:

My husband and I made the Kwanzaa cake for a holiday party last year, complete with gigantic candles. People sampled it, said it tasted ok, but looked like a racist fart.

:boom: Mission Accomplished :boom:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

somekindofguy posted:

E: For content, why did it matter if the bacon was Applewood smoked a couple of years back? Seemed like several chains were touting it, and I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

Posting because I do my own bacon at home, not for some hipstery poo poo reason but because I find all this stuff intriguing and can experiment and stuff (same reason I homebrew, make sausages, make jerky etc) anyway different woods do impart different flavours. I've found fruit woods to be less noticeable but add a sweetness to the meat whereas mesquite and hickory give it a huge smoke flavour. I stick with the same maple syrup base cure as well. Speaking of which, I think I'm due for some.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mu Zeta posted:

Who wants the Keurig of tortillas

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

$200 if you join the Kickstarter. $400 at retail. And no, you cannot use your own dough.

Four hundred bucks for an easy-bake oven that only cooks one thing. I bet if you opened it up there's a little incandescent light inside. Does it come with tiny pink spatulas, too?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One Swell Foop posted:

Back in the day, cake mix was totally 'just add water' instant but it sold poorly because it was considered to be used only by kitchen failures who couldn't bake. Betty Crocker hired a psychologist who told them to remove the powdered egg from the mix and add 'just add one egg' to the instructions. It sold like hot err... cakes because now the baker had a tiny degree of agency in the baking process.

Tldr; people are dumb and will pay for the illusion of agency.

Snopes says this isn't really true.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Wow, that tortilla machine is really something. :eyepop: It's expensive, wasteful, inefficient, and above all, unnecessary. Great find!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mizuti posted:

Wow, that tortilla machine is really something. :eyepop: It's expensive, wasteful, inefficient, and above all, unnecessary. Great find!

Oh god, if my wife bought one of these she could divorce me. :smith:

Kidding! I'm single.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Kidding! I'm single.
This is the least surprising thing I have ever read on the SA forums.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KiteAuraan posted:

Only dumb animals put ketchup on burgers. Mustard is the only acceptable condiment.

Ketchup on burgers is good. Even Anthony Bourdain was making fun of food snobs who are against it and he's a huge food snob

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I went to lunch at a new cafe with coworkers today to celebrate the end of a particularly grueling week. I ordered a burger, while they had various pasta dishes. They were served first, all on normal plates, though they had tried to be fancy (?) by drizzling vinegarette all over the edges in loops. The waiter stuck his thumb in it as he handed each plate over, and my coworkers all had to stick their thumbs in it to take the plates, so it was rather dumb. I commented how nice it was that at least one place in the area still served food on plates. Unfortunately at that point the waiter brought out my burger on a stupid wooden board with a metal jar of chips.

It was overpriced and mediocre at best, further reinforcing my belief that going out to eat for lunch is a terrible waste of money.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

constantIllusion posted:

Sandy is a goddamn treasure and I have wasted many hours watching youtube clips of her stupid, stupid show

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ketchup on burgers is good. Even Anthony Bourdain was making fun of food snobs who are against it and he's a huge food snob

Anthony Bourdain also takes cell phone pics of his food at restaurants, take that old "kids these days" codgers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

Anthony Bourdain also takes cell phone pics of his food at restaurants, take that old "kids these days" codgers.

From what I've heard, a lot of chefs and restaurant owners are actually embracing this kind of thing as a source of free advertisement (and for chefs, showing off their good-looking food to a huge audience). The restaurants and owners who turn their noses up at social media or even try to ban cell phone usage are being seen as stodgy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
For some reason searching for Sandra Lee on YouTube these days opens up horrors untold of non-culinary variety :gonk: I wish I didn't try looking up my favorite Sandra Lee video.

Seriously do not make an unqualified Sandra Lee search.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Any way, this channel made two Sandy recipies, with predictably horrible results. You can find the other one from the related videos of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIu3FHvmHh0

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Re: Sandra Lee
Anybody have the two black chicks making the Kwanzaa cake and its hilarious?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You bet I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO92vTihdek

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome thank you

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

at first it looked like meat inside meat which is confirmed as a good thing.

that is not meat on the outside.

that is icky and bad.

and must be pinappley as all gently caress.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Would. Absolutely would. No regrets.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Glazed bacon, pineapple, and maybe pork fillet? gently caress yeah.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SneakyFrog posted:

and must be pinappley as all gently caress.

Give it to me then you gigantic weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Enfys posted:

I went to lunch at a new cafe with coworkers today to celebrate the end of a particularly grueling week. I ordered a burger, while they had various pasta dishes. They were served first, all on normal plates, though they had tried to be fancy (?) by drizzling vinegarette all over the edges in loops. The waiter stuck his thumb in it as he handed each plate over, and my coworkers all had to stick their thumbs in it to take the plates, so it was rather dumb. I commented how nice it was that at least one place in the area still served food on plates. Unfortunately at that point the waiter brought out my burger on a stupid wooden board with a metal jar of chips.

It was overpriced and mediocre at best, further reinforcing my belief that going out to eat for lunch is a terrible waste of money.

Thumbs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbvbF0L9tJg

• Locked thread