Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Speaking of a good 9, rory knocked out a 29 on the back 9 at the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Speaking of a good 9, rory knocked out a 29 on the back 9 at the players.

Holy poo poo

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I guess Rory remembered that he is one of the best golfers in the world and is shooting -9 through 16 today!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So this year is the second year that I've played in a golf league, and I've been playing for 2.5 years now, after a 20 year break. At 46 years old, I'm not exactly going to set the world on fire with amazing distance. I did have 3 birdie putts last week though. Unfortunately the greens were punched so I only sank one of them.

After a long winter and knee surgery, I came back slowly. I had to work out some bad habits and made some adjustments to my swing. I'm holding my hands a lot closer, getting power from twisting my torso. This had been causing me to hook/draw everything. Then I remembered that I have to add some lag into my swing like I'm trying to stab the ball and now my shots are more consistent and traveling much farther.

Things I have to work on now to break 90:

Stop hitting behind the ball. Sometimes I get lazy and don't transfer enough weight to my front foot and the club hits the ground behind the ball. It's a bad habit from having a bad knee.
Pitching: I have the Ping W,U, and S wedges. (Ping has to be special with their labels) I could use a 60 degree wedge.
3 wood and 5 wood. I never hit the 3 wood on the course, and the 5 wood I only use off the tee when I need to hit a short drive. I'm way to inconsistent with them. I can hit them on the range when I'm on a good streak, but it's a different story on the course.
Distance: I don't hit very far. Sand Wedge is 70, Gap (U) wedge is about 90-100, Pitching wedge is 105-115, etc. Long par 3s are hard for me because I have to hit a hyrid 180 yards.

My putting is decent.
I go to the range about 4 days a week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Will Wilcox with a loving awesome ace (and celebration) on the legendary #17 at the Players

E: Last one to do it was Jimenez in 2002. drat.

E2: God his swing is so odd too hahaha

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 13, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I thought he must have been in between clubs, or somebody yelled in his backswing or something, but nope. It's nice seeing some more dudes having success with unconventional swings, makes us hackers feel like our swings may be okay after all.

That dual wind monitor they have for 17 is cool and explains some things too. Seeing it show 2mph hurting on the tee but 8mph helping at the green explains why so many people take one club too much on that hole, plus the whole nerves thing.

Edit- Wilcox even has a super weird putting stroke too lol. His feet are like 30 degrees left of his line and really close together.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 14, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Celebration was better than the swing that's for sure haha

Solid round mattfl - no 3 putts but you would have liked a lot more single putts as they all add up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So did the Masters collapse destroy Jordan Spieth?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Celebration was better than the swing that's for sure haha

Solid round mattfl - no 3 putts but you would have liked a lot more single putts as they all add up.

At least 3 or 4 of those pars should have been birdies, left them a few inches short or just rolled by.

Got another round lined up sunday morning, we'll see if I can do better :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I'm playing first light Sunday morning too. Been a bit off my game lately because of lower back pain. More psychological than physical because I know it's there and I'm apprehensive or modifying my swing to avoid it.

Think I'll spend a fair amount of time warming up from now on.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Back to back birdies in front of a foursome I was playing through this morning made me feel like a baller. 4-over 74 in the end, easily my best round of the year so far. Figuring out why I was hooking everything made such a huge difference, I've gotten so many more GIRs per round and most of my misses have been on the fringe or just barely in the rough.

I only took a few practice shots with the new 4 wood and definitely haven't figured it out yet. I think I may be swinging it too hard so the next time I'm out I'll have to spend some more time experimenting.

Rory wearing joggers today again and just missed a 2 foot tap-in, karma!

And wow, Sergio makes a great 90-degree bend putt and then 5 putts the next hole lol

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 14, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Knox just put up a nine on 17. Ouch.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Knox just put up a nine on 17. Ouch.

He was a real trooper about it though. All smiles after hitting on from the drop zone while everyone cheered. :unsmith:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I went out to dinner and DVRed the second half of the coverage, these greens are absolutely brutal. I swear you can see some of them getting noticeably more brown every time a group plays them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I went out to dinner and DVRed the second half of the coverage, these greens are absolutely brutal. I swear you can see some of them getting noticeably more brown every time a group plays them.

Rolling 15-16 on the stimp. There's no friction on the greens. Frank Nobilo just poured a couple ounces of water on one of the greens and it beaded up and trickled down like 10 feet, never absorbing.

Another player said they were so slick that he was worried about putting his putter down behind the ball and having it slip and hit the ball.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Psh if they think those greens are hard to putt on come play the Los Angeles munis with me. They just punched them. Let's see them putt there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Psh if they think those greens are hard to putt on come play the Los Angeles munis with me. They just punched them. Let's see them putt there.

Here's my round from right after they punched at Rancho:

The greens were super unfun to play on, but if I can figure out how to ram every putt directly at the hole because that poo poo's not going to break at all, then I'd bet the pros could too.

I hope Day shoots 62 tomorrow. He's ridiculous. 205y 8i into 16? Why not?

BCRock fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 15, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I sure could get used to an Aussie being no. 1 for a decade. Hope his body holds up.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

The greens were super unfun to play on, but if I can figure out how to ram every putt directly at the hole because that poo poo's not going to break at all, then I'd bet the pros could too.

Hahaha yes yes I know, I was joking :p

Nice round!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Hahaha yes yes I know, I was joking :p

Nice round!

I figured. I just wanted an excuse to post my 71 :ssh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BCRock posted:

Is that in Rancho Cucamonga? I have a lot of family down there and Im pretty sure my dad has played that course every time he goes down to visit. He loves it.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nah, Rancho Park is right in the middle of Los Angeles. It's where the LA Open was before it moved to Riviera.

Rancho Cucamonga is about an hour east of LA.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Nah, Rancho Park is right in the middle of Los Angeles. It's where the LA Open was before it moved to Riviera.

Rancho Cucamonga is about an hour east of LA.

https://youtu.be/ygVFbz6AsnE

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Rolling 15-16 on the stimp. There's no friction on the greens. Frank Nobilo just poured a couple ounces of water on one of the greens and it beaded up and trickled down like 10 feet, never absorbing.

Another player said they were so slick that he was worried about putting his putter down behind the ball and having it slip and hit the ball.

Apparently Sawgrass is replacing the greens after this tournament so they're not worried about killing the grass this weekend, which resulted in the extreme conditions yesterday. Hopefully today they make them a bit more reasonable.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My tee time would have been right now if it wasnt loving snowing outside. :cry:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

My tee time would have been right now if it wasnt loving snowing outside. :cry:
Where do you live?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Day just chunked back to back chips

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Day says he doesn't like his 3 wood too, so hitting 2 iron off the tee and then 3 wood in the fairway seemed odd.

Josh Lyman posted:

Where do you live?

Flurries here outside of Binghamton NY. It's ~45 degrees outside today and it was in the low 80s Thursday.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

EnsGDT posted:

Day just chunked back to back chips

Please don't choke like Spieth :ohdear:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a 105 today. Just another round where time on the driving range just isn't translating to good shots on the course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of tee times.

So I had a loving awesome round this morning. Drives were hitting the fairways and I can't think of any par 4 where I hit the fairway that I didn't have a PW or less into the green. The second par 5 I went 3W 7 iron to within 10 feet and left the eagle putt just outside the cup for a tap in birdie. My putting wasn't even as bad as the 31 putts make it seem. All my pars were basically kick ins as I was usually right at the hole leaving it just by or just short, probably should have had a few more birdies. I had 2 or 3 15'+ par saves that really saved me, but the putts just seemed to be going in. The only real trouble I got in was 18. All I was thinking was nice easy drive into the fairway and get it on the green. Of course my first bad drive of the day winds up in the sand 165 yards out from the green. I smoked a 7 iron out of the sand and into the wind onto the green and had about 25' for birdie, it was a big sweeping right to left uphill putt and it just didn't quite turn enough and left it 2" to the right of the cup, tap in for par and an even 72 so I can't complain.

Felt drat good all day long.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

drat nice since I'm sure you weren't a happy boy through 3.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

drat nice since I'm sure you weren't a happy boy through 3.

Ya 1 kinda sucked. Good drive, laid up to 80 or so yards and caught it a little too much into the teeth and ended up behind the hole and had to flop up to the pin and 2 putted. 3 I pulled my tee shot and wound up in the sand, didn't quite get out as nicely as I could have and 2 putted.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Where do you live?

Just north of Toronto. Its 2C outside with off and on flurries.

It was 24C on Thursday.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Flurries here outside of Binghamton NY. It's ~45 degrees outside today and it was in the low 80s Thursday.

Heyyy what's up Bingotown? I'm from Cuse!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

Heyyy what's up Bingotown? I'm from Cuse!

I've definitely played a hell of a lot more golf than I had by this point last year so I really can't complain about the weather. I think I played once last April thanks to that abysmal winter.

308 yard 2i on 18, holy poo poo Jason Day. I haven't seen him hit that club poorly all week, who needs a driver?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Awesome round matt. So consistent, pars must be boring lol.

Aw yeah Jason Day making it look easy. 310 yard 2i into 18! How cool was it seeing his son Dash playing with Rickie.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Ricky definitely has the weird uncle facial hair down.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Day says he doesn't like his 3 wood too, so hitting 2 iron off the tee and then 3 wood in the fairway seemed odd.

My deepest condolences for choosing to live in Binghamton. I do get a pretty big craving for Sharkey's from time to time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Lol it's not so bad, I'm a local and don't spend much time in Bingo itself.

JDay has shown me the light and I'm gonna play around with this thing a bit once again I think.