Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Are we actually sure they're just not charging VAT and pocketing it?

That's not quite what they are doing, because VAT doesn't work that way, but it's close.

They're actually giving back *more* VAT via refunds (or did) than they've charged their customers.
At least superficially (on paper).

Here's what i mean:
- as an original backer, you pay to a US company, and don't get charged any VAT, because you're not dealing with an EU business entity
- then you buy some ships, or an extra pledge level after the campaign, and get charged by Ortwin Bros gmbh, from within EU, with the VAT, but get an invoice from US without a VAT
- then you get a refund for the lump sum, without an invoice (you should be getting a storno invoice for that) from an EU business entity
- the EU business entity then reports paying out an amount of VAT from the lump sum, which means it can now "launder" (not money launder, just reconcile) a greater amount of VAT from *incoming* invoices than it originally and actually paid out

In other words, any time CIG EU (whichever the company) buys something shiny, they can deduce a bigger part of VAT off it than they would've had their books been cleanly ran w/ regards to VAT cycle.

At least that's what i think they might be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Skellybones posted:

For those unfamiliar with it, the keto diet Lando is on is where you more of less starve yourself so your body starts devouring your own muscles and organs. One notable side effect is that this produces acetone, so you smell like nail polish remover.

Not really... a mammal makes energy either through fat + protein (ketosis) or sugar / carb (glycolysis). Ketosis is how the body uses the fat it's stored. One shouldn't smell like acetone unless the body is an a state of disorder called ketoacidosis, which is extreme and uncontrolled.

The rational is that mammals in Earth's natural environment eat sugar but nowhere near the amount of highly refined and concentrated sugars and carbs in the typical American diet.

So you switch to fat and protein and try to turn on ketosis as much as possible. You make the energy from the fat and protein that you eat. By eating less calories than you burn, you more easily and naturally use ketosis to burn stored fat. After you lose what you want to lose, you up calories and add some sugar / carb back to maintain.

(It is interesting to note that obligate carnivores (100% meat eaters) like cats do have glycolysis but their bodies cannot rely on it exclusively; they make most all of their energy through ketosis which is why cats must eat only meat (protein) or they will get sick and die. It's also interesting to note how cats are known for being high energy when they're awake, but then rest and sleep up to 16 hours for the rest of the day.)

When you switch to ketogenic from heavy glycolysis you will definitely feel less energy during the transition, but if you do it right and don't cheat that should correct somewhat. A lot of people add a stimulant like caffeine, which is why a lot of people do BulletProof Coffee, which adds butter, MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides which are fats that turn to energy very quickly; horse milk is high in them for example), and sometimes collagen protein to coffee which is homogenized in a blender for 30 seconds. You're supposed to use butter that comes only from cows that eat grass which in turn means there are higher levels of healthy fats in the butter, such as alpha linolenic acid, omega-3's, and things like butyric acid. The recommend way of drinking it is two cups in the morning, each with 15 grams of grass fed butter and 15 grams of MCT oil (and optionally a tablespoon of grass fed collagen), blended, for a total of 60 grams of fat. It's something like between 500 - 600 calories. You skip lunch, so you wait 8 hours or so before then eating dinner. You're supposed to feel sustainable energy throughout the day with little to no cravings.

Anyway that's my understanding of it and I've seen people have success with it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

But cats eat meow mix.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
https://vimeo.com/138802207

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Has SC been released yet?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What's a yengi?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

Has SC been released yet?

neyeahnoperobaly

I hope that answers your question.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Every single FPS gamer I have asked (7 out of 7 so far) either dislikes or hates the new COD.
It's "too scifi" for them.

Whereas WWI germans with gasmasks wielding maces* are a-ok pinnacle of realism, one presumes?

* Germans wielding maces, not gasmasks wielding maces.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ash1138 posted:

crobbers' is going to bleed cig dry because he wants celebrity mocap in a video game even though it doesn't work

and i'm glad of it

Nah, he won't.
SQ42 is just another stopgap measure to legitimize the scam.

It might be Croberts' dream, but that's just a front - for the people behind the curtain, maintaining the status quo of dreams is the only thing important, because that is what brings in the whale oil.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor
So, I hope this isn't out of place, but is there going to be a career track for Dendrophiliacs in this game? I mean, I'm going to be alone in my Biodome for years on end with nothing but some trees and bushes. It's natural that eventually I'd find that perfect hole in the tree, or freshly shucked corn husk just asking for it. It seems like this is a realistic inclusion for life in the Verse.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The smell you'd associate with burning muscle for energy is definitely more of a straight stale piss/ammonia than nail polish.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Achamp posted:

So, I hope this isn't out of place, but is there going to be a career track for Dendrophiliacs in this game? I mean, I'm going to be alone in my Biodome for years on end with nothing but some trees and bushes. It's natural that eventually I'd find that perfect hole in the tree, or freshly shucked corn husk just asking for it. It seems like this is a realistic inclusion for life in the Verse.

Mankind in the Verse is not ready for the inevitable consequence of horticulture.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

Whereas WWI germans with gasmasks wielding maces* are a-ok pinnacle of realism, one presumes?

* Germans wielding maces, not gasmasks wielding maces.

I think that actually happened IRL

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Skellybones posted:

I think that actually happened IRL

soldiers did use trench maces in ww1. you'd be surprised what they used in ww1, the geneva convention prevents some pretty interesting and creative weapons from being used these days.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oldman doodle watch:

It has vanished:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Gary+Oldman&_itemId=262402599555&_trksid=p2047675.m4099

:iiam:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My guess is with 2 days left to go it looked bad being at a HUGE $62 so they pulled it?
It is still on their site:
http://www.doodle4nf.org/gallery/v/2016+Doodles/oldman_gary.jpg.html#.VzaOjJErKHu

But not their Ebay listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/nfinccharity/m.html

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 14, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

:gary:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Indeed

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Maldoror posted:

Not really... a mammal makes energy either through fat + protein (ketosis) or sugar / carb (glycolysis). Ketosis is how the body uses the fat it's stored. One shouldn't smell like acetone unless the body is an a state of disorder called ketoacidosis, which is extreme and uncontrolled.

The rational is that mammals in Earth's natural environment eat sugar but nowhere near the amount of highly refined and concentrated sugars and carbs in the typical American diet.

So you switch to fat and protein and try to turn on ketosis as much as possible. You make the energy from the fat and protein that you eat. By eating less calories than you burn, you more easily and naturally use ketosis to burn stored fat. After you lose what you want to lose, you up calories and add some sugar / carb back to maintain.

(It is interesting to note that obligate carnivores (100% meat eaters) like cats do have glycolysis but their bodies cannot rely on it exclusively; they make most all of their energy through ketosis which is why cats must eat only meat (protein) or they will get sick and die. It's also interesting to note how cats are known for being high energy when they're awake, but then rest and sleep up to 16 hours for the rest of the day.)

When you switch to ketogenic from heavy glycolysis you will definitely feel less energy during the transition, but if you do it right and don't cheat that should correct somewhat. A lot of people add a stimulant like caffeine, which is why a lot of people do BulletProof Coffee, which adds butter, MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides which are fats that turn to energy very quickly; horse milk is high in them for example), and sometimes collagen protein to coffee which is homogenized in a blender for 30 seconds. You're supposed to use butter that comes only from cows that eat grass which in turn means there are higher levels of healthy fats in the butter, such as alpha linolenic acid, omega-3's, and things like butyric acid. The recommend way of drinking it is two cups in the morning, each with 15 grams of grass fed butter and 15 grams of MCT oil (and optionally a tablespoon of grass fed collagen), blended, for a total of 60 grams of fat. It's something like between 500 - 600 calories. You skip lunch, so you wait 8 hours or so before then eating dinner. You're supposed to feel sustainable energy throughout the day with little to no cravings.

Anyway that's my understanding of it and I've seen people have success with it.

Or you could eat reasonable amounts of predominantly non processed food (mainly vegetables) and engage in regular exercise.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been almost 13,000 posts since I posted last, but I want you all to know I love you. Each and every one

:glomp:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The high-res scan of the shooting schedule was an unacceptable spoiler :commissar:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Oldman doodle watch:

It has vanished:
:ohdear:

peter gabriel posted:

My guess is with 2 days left to go it looked bad being at a HUGE $62 so they pulled it?
There are heaps of other doodles still up on e-bay currently at less.

I can't help suspect maybe someone found out that a ten page call-sheet for a NO SPOILERS game was about to be sold.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4j5d5o/thoughts_on_star_citizen_and_related_complaints/d345nnx

goons are good and do good things.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Have you noticed that Mothman is starting a space sim subreddit?

The capitulation is everywhere- but nobody is ready to admit it.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

i am trying to keep those programmers out of work i hate mechanics programmers

stay away from the great jobs at CIG, programmers

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

I'm sorry to inform you that I will need to retract my acceptance of employment at Cloud Imperium Games. I have done some research and found out that a comedy forum on the internet has a thread making fun of your company. I am sure you will understand.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

Have you noticed that Mothman is starting a space sim subreddit?

The capitulation is everywhere- but nobody is ready to admit it.

Going by the comments, it's been a really bad day for CIG, even though nothing new happened in particular. I think the realization that yet another week has gone by without 2.4 going public has caused a sudden rupture of anxiety.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Going by the comments, it's been a really bad day for CIG, even though nothing new happened in particular. I think the realization that yet another week has gone by without 2.4 opening up caused a sudden rupture of anxiety.

Truly. And backers didn't need any new reasons to worry-- the last few weeks has served up more than enough, and Chris being overseas again and out of reach takes the security blanket away. The funding tracker is worrisome, the aftershocks of COD:IW are still shaking the firmament.

I think a lot of backers have already starting accepting the death of the dream -- but they can't admit it openly. They just know, with No Man's Sky, Infinite Warfare, Andromeda, and all these new indie space games and niche winners popping up (and STARFIELD as the late surprise!) the party is well underway and the Guest of Honor is a no show... And by the time he arrives, the only thing left of the big wild space party night will be the drunks and layabouts. The cool folks moved on to the next hip scene-- space parties are sooo last night.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/731334724828823553

lando the only bad part of you is that you are complicit in fleecing nerds. otherwise I think you're an ok dude.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty much all the objective identifiers that things are bad within the community are on the upswing. half-digested tantrums against derek smart showing up in random threads apropos of nothing. Mothman having another paranoid fit about Goons specifically orchestrating to downvote him. Public prayers that Sean Tracey make an appearance in some capacity. Alot of shitizens saying "maybe you should take a break" to other shitizens. Every siren is blaring.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

that's it! Thanks!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Pretty much all the objective identifiers that things are bad within the community are on the upswing. half-digested tantrums against derek smart showing up in random threads apropos of nothing. Mothman having another paranoid fit about Goons specifically orchestrating to downvote him. Public prayers that Sean Tracey make an appearance in some capacity. Alot of shitizens saying "maybe you should take a break" to other shitizens. Every siren is blaring.

I'm glad of it!
:eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ideate posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/731334724828823553

lando the only bad part of you is that you are complicit in fleecing nerds. otherwise I think you're an ok dude.
$113 million dollars of crowdfunding, "open development," "i'll treat you like you're a publisher," but asking 'when' is not allowed

did you tweet that to your dad too, discohobo?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'll never tire of the double narrative. The one that claims that a comedy forum several years removed from the height of its influence and popularity and Derek Smart are a bunch of idiots who know nothing, just jealous, and aren't intelligent enough to grasp what they think will be the best video game experience in history, and yet at the same time this group of nobodies are the single most dire threat to the dreamiest dream team of game designers ever assembled, headed by Space Jesus, the greatest figure in gaming who ever lived, their expert skill at making space fantasies reality, and their war chest of $113 million.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

Initial. Original. First. loving. ToS.
Not. The. loving. New. Ones. You. Weren't. Alerted. To.

I need another beer.
I give up.

Dude, I am joining in that the ToS is nothing but the most abusive of relationships, designed to take advantage of people who have already given CIG all the money they can part with, leaving them too poor to mount any sort of effective assault on the poo poo fortress that is CIG. And that is entirely dependent on whether or not these people are physically or psychologically capable of leaving their sim pits to launch said attack.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

I'll never tire of the double narrative. The one that claims that a comedy forum several years from the height of its influence and popularity and Derek Smart are a bunch of idiots who know nothing, just jealous, and aren't intelligent enough to grasp what they think will be the best video game experience in history, and yet at the same time this group of nobodies are the single most dire threat to the dreamiest dream team of game designers ever assembled, headed by Space Jesus, the greatest figure in gaming who ever lived, their expert skill at making space fantasies reality, and their war chest of $113 million.

I want to believe the latter is true-- but man, Chris, Sandi, Ben & Co. have some such a masterful job blowing this opportunity themselves and in the end, mostly what we've done is captured the play by play for posterity.

Meanwhile, look at this bullcrap... -- CIG needs to savor these last months of deferential treatment... I just don't think they'll be getting it too much longer.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 14, 2016

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sunaurus posted:

I think you're confusing keto with something else. Keto just means you don't eat carbs, but as far as I know, a lot of people who do the ketogenic diet don't actually reduce their overall caloric intake at all, so Mr. Lando will not lose any weight if he just replaces his carbs with other food.

Anyway, I'm glad he's at least trying to do something about his health, good for him.

Yeah, keto is actually really good for you, if you do it right.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

I'll never tire of the double narrative. The one that claims that a comedy forum several years removed from the height of its influence and popularity and Derek Smart are a bunch of idiots who know nothing, just jealous, and aren't intelligent enough to grasp what they think will be the best video game experience in history, and yet at the same time this group of nobodies are the single most dire threat to the dreamiest dream team of game designers ever assembled, headed by Space Jesus, the greatest figure in gaming who ever lived, their expert skill at making space fantasies reality, and their war chest of $113 million.

Yesterday a cultist said that by his calculations all the attention from DS and goons has added 8-12m dollars to Crobblies war chest. I wanted to ask him to show his work and that by my accounting DS had caused 30m in refund requests and 50m in people that would have pledged but didn't after they heard about DS, but I refuse to use reddit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is keto the thing the low-carb thread was doing? Because if so then lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Catte.

• Locked thread