Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I would say cut your losses, learn your lesson, and move on, but you don't seem capable of any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have to say, mentoring puppy authors for a percentage of their first book sounds like something you guys could easily do. I know one on one advice usually isn't worth the time you could have been spent writing, but maybe a cut of the profits in exchange for an email or two every day might be worth it?

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.
Make them pay extra for cover consults or whatnot. Could work as an extra revenue stream.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have to say, mentoring puppy authors for a percentage of their first book sounds like something you guys could easily do. I know one on one advice usually isn't worth the time you could have been spent writing, but maybe a cut of the profits in exchange for an email or two every day might be worth it?

It sounds good until you watch someone slam their hand in the door for the tenth time. "A percentage" lol, like I could trust anyone, let alone an author, to pay me in the future for advice they received in the past.

I'll keep taking Skype calls for five hundred an hour though.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Special introductory offer for new self-publishers: I will schedule and facilitate a Skype called with wildly successful self-publishing veteran EngineerSean for the low, low price of $575/hr.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

EngineerSean posted:

I'll keep taking Skype calls for five hundred an hour though.

What's the goon discount rate? $495/hr?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Zypher posted:

What's the goon discount rate? $495/hr?

I think the goon discount is just posting in this thread and hoping someone answers you for free.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Special introductory goon offer: For the low, low price of $50 I will register you an account on the 'Something Awful' forums where you can ask 'self publishing guru' Engineering Shaun questions that will totally revolutionise your self publicating career!!!

i also accept bitcoins (converted to USD)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
"feh, bitcoins, what a scam," he posted in the self publishing thread

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'll have you know that bitcoins are the currency of the future. I explain it all here, at the back of my 2000-page manifesto available on Kindle Unlimited.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
There's a free bitcoin wallet code if you flip all the way to the back of the book. First come first served.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
KU rate for April = $0.00496

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

KU rate for April = $0.00496

Huh, that's a pleasant surprise :)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
After today I want to write "How to Lose a Great Paying Job You've Held for Two Years In Three Emails Because You Can't Take Criticism"

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

EngineerSean posted:

After today I want to write "How to Lose a Great Paying Job You've Held for Two Years In Three Emails Because You Can't Take Criticism"

Details?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Just frustrated at someone who I've been too nice to for years now.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Haha, reading up some more on this Booktrope thing and apparently a default part of their contract was that your work was published under a Creative Commons Attribution No-Commercial license, unless you specified explicitly that it wasn't. That means that when you do get your work 'back', even if you republish and change the rights, people with copies of your old work are perfectly legally entitled to give that version out for free, forever. Which means look out if you want to republish and whack it in KU, because all anyone has to do is just put it up for free on their own website, or republish it themselves, and you're loving boned :allears:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Aaronicon posted:

Haha, reading up some more on this Booktrope thing and apparently a default part of their contract was that your work was published under a Creative Commons Attribution No-Commercial license, unless you specified explicitly that it wasn't. That means that when you do get your work 'back', even if you republish and change the rights, people with copies of your old work are perfectly legally entitled to give that version out for free, forever. Which means look out if you want to republish and whack it in KU, because all anyone has to do is just put it up for free on their own website, or republish it themselves, and you're loving boned :allears:

You can download any story today and put it up on your website for free, yet people are still able to use kindle unlimited.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

EngineerSean posted:

You can download any story today and put it up on your website for free, yet people are still able to use kindle unlimited.

First rule of rules: Everyone else can break them with no consequence, but whenever you do it everything goes to poo poo. It's just an amusing end-note to that whole drama.

That Guy posted:

NO SEE IT'S A GOOD THING BECAUSE

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah I think book tripe is a pretty big joke as well and I guess I'm just being a bit pedantic. The other day I went on a hunt for articles about this and, apart from a pair of editors who felt underpaid, everyone of their authors was like "what will I do without them???" Some Stockholm syndrome I guess.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I have a silly stupid question for the thread, and I apologize if it was answered elsewhere. Is it possible to publish through Amazon, Apple, et. al, and in such away that you can be totally certain you won't make any money? I ask because I want to get back into writing but I'm living and working abroad and a condition of my visa is that I not make any money from anything else, even working for myself.

This is from a while back but I would think this would be fine as long as the money is flowing back into a bank account in your home country. It's not really any different from, say, having a stock portfolio generating dividends back home. Your new country just doesn't want you taking jobs off any other people there.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm making a Slack for Booktrope fans, who's in?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ravenkult posted:

I'm making a Slack for Booktrope fans, who's in?

I'm only going to join if it's as exclusive as the other slack. We don't want anyone stealing our secrets making any money

please let me in the other Slack again

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 14, 2016

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

All right, I made a Slack for us selfpubbers, since I checked the IRC channel and it's 100% dead.

Drop me an email at selfpub@mail.com and I'll send an invite. I definitely need someone to run it with 'cause I'm a fascist.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Email has been dropped!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Brings a tear to my eye.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Emailed you!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Does anyone here use twitter to advertise?

I am pretty ignorant about it, as in never used twitter ever but made an account a couple days ago for my pen name. It just had never come up before.

Now I have book scheduled to be free tomorrow and Saturday, and wanted to "tweet" the link to it "@" a bunch of free book twitter accounts like @freebookclub1, @kindle_free, and like a hundred more. Because of the character limit, does that mean I should send a hundred tweets, one for each of them, or what?

Can people (other than the couple hundred followers I somehow picked up) see that the book is free on their twitter or something?

I'm sure these are eye-rollingly callow questions, but gently caress if I know how to use twitter and the promo starts tomorrow.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Does anyone here use twitter to advertise?

I am pretty ignorant about it, as in never used twitter ever but made an account a couple days ago for my pen name. It just had never come up before.

Now I have book scheduled to be free tomorrow and Saturday, and wanted to "tweet" the link to it "@" a bunch of free book twitter accounts like @freebookclub1, @kindle_free, and like a hundred more. Because of the character limit, does that mean I should send a hundred tweets, one for each of them, or what?

Can people (other than the couple hundred followers I somehow picked up) see that the book is free on their twitter or something?

I'm sure these are eye-rollingly callow questions, but gently caress if I know how to use twitter and the promo starts tomorrow.

It depends what your market is, but your best bet is usually to ask other authors in your genre who actually have followers if they would retweet you. Free books definitely tend to get retweeted a lot more, but without some initial push to really expose you, it is more difficult. Any kind of place that is spammy has you generally get lost in the noise...I only follow ~200 people on my non-writer twitter account and VERY OFTEN I miss tweets from people I really like just because of sheer volume. I think most people follow much more than that. Freebookclub looks insanely spammy and most followers are probably bots. Kindle_free...same thing. Look at how few of those tweets have any engagement at all. The ones with single likes and retweets are probably the authors themselves.

A lot of Facebook/goodreads groups are similar to this: they are basically authors spamming their books with no reader engagement or interest.

I have people in my genre that are nice enough to retweet me when I release, but my twitter is my weaker social media arm. I actually have people engaging with my Facebook, but it's probably because my audience is older "facebook aunt" type people who don't even use Twitter.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Ok, think I got it. Thank you that was pretty helpful.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What's the genre? I can retweet a bit.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, it is yucky romance stuff. 3000 free given away so far so that seems like a lot (for me at least)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bardeh posted:

Anyway, I hope that when you get the rights to your book back, you pull it from publication and give it a fresh start yourself. Here's how to do it:

--brilliant poo poo --

You have a quality product, ready to go, and it has the potential to earn you some real money. For god's sake don't just let it wither and die.
To follow up, yes, I get my book back, yes, I'm planning on following your list here as close as I can with a re-publish several months after the Booktrope poo poo dies down. Most of the other authors are shifting their books to Amazon right away. I'd rather let the poo poo settle, focus on my next book, then re-release this one first, following the steps you listed, and then roll out the next one. How long should I wait?

And yes. I could have done this all along. I agree with you.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Congratulations, man. Seriously couldn't be happier that you're moving forward with it on your own.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

magnificent7 posted:

How long should I wait?

What will waiting accomplish?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

To follow up, yes, I get my book back, yes, I'm planning on following your list here as close as I can with a re-publish several months after the Booktrope poo poo dies down. Most of the other authors are shifting their books to Amazon right away. I'd rather let the poo poo settle, focus on my next book, then re-release this one first, following the steps you listed, and then roll out the next one. How long should I wait?

And yes. I could have done this all along. I agree with you.

That's great to hear. How long you wait is up to you, but it mostly depends on your next book. Ideally you'd re-release Snapshot about a month, month and a half before the new one is ready to publish. However, if it's gonna take you a while, just do Snapshot as soon as possible. The longer it sits on your HDD, the more potential money you're not earning. All of the major marketing can be booked in a couple of hours, it's not that time-consuming. Maybe others here will have some good suggestions for places to submit it to, I've only ever promoted Romance and I'm not sure where you'd get the best value for money in other genres.

Let us know when it's out. I'll borrow it and leave you a review.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

quote:

The S C A R E Manuscript Analysis is a comprehensive review of a completed manuscript for a work of fiction, designed to identify its audience, highlight developmental issues, and gives a road map to create a structurally sound manuscript.

The completeness, believability of the story, and worldview are examined in detail. This provides the precise data on how effectively the book's world is created and how well it will be understood by the target audience. The analysis also provides suggestions on possible additional development points for connected storylines.

Audience and market targeting matches the characteristics of the manuscript with the segment of the market most inclined to read the work. This area will address what will attract or detract certain segments of the market, providing consideration points that may help going forward. Cultural and language motility analysis indicates how well the story lends itself for later translation to other languages and sales into other cultures.

Audience affiliation examines how well and why the target will relate to the story. This information is critical to building a loyal and consistent readership.

Lastly, a series of possible next steps is included so that the scope of the suggested changes can be understood and can be made with confidence, minimizing the need for developmental edits by at least half.

All of these evaluation points, metrics, and actionable steps are designed to facilitate the author's continued improvement and growth, as well as the financial success of the published manuscript.

A.I. Book analysis service. Some selfpub podcast I listen to was peddling it.

$1000 to run an analysins on your book. Extra for your blurb.

:lol:

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

ravenkult posted:

If you could actually develop something that effectively auto-edits books for marketability, couldn't you also develop something to auto-write them for marketability? (And if we could you drat well know pulp romance would be flooded with machine-written novellas about small town waifs being swept away in the arms of pirates/powerful businessmen/vampires/werewolves/that one guy who's always browsing the frozen food aisle every time you go to the grocery store.)

All this review system seems like it really does is suggest alterations geared towards making people's books more generic. No amount of automated narrative mapping is going to produce something like "sorry, you've got all the right content and your plot flows smoothly but you're an intensely boring author with the engageability of a doorknob" or "your premise is very interesting and you're not a bad writer but you like to hear yourself talk too much, you should work on that" which are the kinds of things that we sometimes need to hear and spend a little while being gigantic babies about before we can get better at what we do.

As valuable as something as straight-forward "less waxing poetic, more plot progression" is as a critique, that really doesn't tell you anything beyond the obvious about how to be better on your next manuscript, does it?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ravenkult posted:

Hmm... I could pay someone $1,000 to give me a half-assed audience affiliation assessment, or I could read the damned genre myself and know what the gently caress I'm doing.

Tough call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

Sundae posted:

Hmm... I could pay someone $1,000 to give me a half-assed audience affiliation assessment, or I could read the damned genre myself and know what the gently caress I'm doing.

Tough call.

Honestly, you could pay me half that to use my useless degree in English Literature and my minor in Sociology to put together an audience affiliation assessment and a relatively comprehensive editorial review of your book.

I don't understand how they think this is going to work when pretty much every other option around is cheaper and more reliable.