Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That actually looks real good

We should get orcinus to 3d print it and someone to paint it, and then somehow send it to Humility to show our love and support

I'm up for it if you're serious, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Does this mean lesnick will become highly flammable

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

his nibs posted:

Scam Star Citizen: The New "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams"

http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-24-persistence-build-notes-leak/

Yes, citizen. Say these things enough times and they become true.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Baked Loaf :smuggo:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Christ isn't MEK awful for you? I thought that was the poo poo they used to strip paint off planes. :gonk:

It's a solvent used for shitloads of things (including model-building).
It's fairly innocuous compared to some other organic solvents, it's an irritant, but doesn't seem to exhibit any noticable carcinogenic or theratogenic effects unless you take baths in it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

orcinus posted:

Thefuck is that.
Thefuck it do.
Thefuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemertea

Lovely creatures...they go up to 54 meters long.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, the Humility humanity!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemertea

Lovely creatures...they go up to 54 meters long.

Charming.
Nuke from orbit, pls.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Apparently CIG don't want that many Citizens buying jpegs of ships...

http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-24-persistence-build-notes-leak/#comment-2672980853

e:

e:

maybe I'm wrong and Jason is right, I know nothing of monetisation development :shrug:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 14, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

orcinus posted:

It's a solvent used for shitloads of things (including model-building).
It's fairly innocuous compared to some other organic solvents, it's an irritant, but doesn't seem to exhibit any noticable carcinogenic or theratogenic effects unless you take baths in it.

Oh ok, I think I'm confusing it with something else.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I love it when this happens.

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/727709860163428352

I just cannot even.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

his nibs posted:

Apparently CIG don't want that many Citizens buying jpegs of ships...

http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-24-persistence-build-notes-leak/#comment-2672980853

e:

maybe I'm wrong :shrug:
"The content all “makes sense” from an overall Star Citizen perspective."

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

orcinus posted:

Charming.
Nuke from orbit, pls.

What do you have against lovely creatures?

Here is another cute candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGGz6d3vC4

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ben Lesnick, Developer.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Ben Lesnick: Monster, Leech, giant, worm.

e: swallows :wink:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 14, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Skellybones posted:

Lol, keto diet

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Maldoror posted:

Not really... a mammal makes energy either through fat + protein (ketosis) or sugar / carb (glycolysis). Ketosis is how the body uses the fat it's stored. One shouldn't smell like acetone unless the body is an a state of disorder called ketoacidosis, which is extreme and uncontrolled.

The rational is that mammals in Earth's natural environment eat sugar but nowhere near the amount of highly refined and concentrated sugars and carbs in the typical American diet.

So you switch to fat and protein and try to turn on ketosis as much as possible. You make the energy from the fat and protein that you eat. By eating less calories than you burn, you more easily and naturally use ketosis to burn stored fat. After you lose what you want to lose, you up calories and add some sugar / carb back to maintain.

(It is interesting to note that obligate carnivores (100% meat eaters) like cats do have glycolysis but their bodies cannot rely on it exclusively; they make most all of their energy through ketosis which is why cats must eat only meat (protein) or they will get sick and die. It's also interesting to note how cats are known for being high energy when they're awake, but then rest and sleep up to 16 hours for the rest of the day.)

When you switch to ketogenic from heavy glycolysis you will definitely feel less energy during the transition, but if you do it right and don't cheat that should correct somewhat. A lot of people add a stimulant like caffeine, which is why a lot of people do BulletProof Coffee, which adds butter, MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides which are fats that turn to energy very quickly; horse milk is high in them for example), and sometimes collagen protein to coffee which is homogenized in a blender for 30 seconds. You're supposed to use butter that comes only from cows that eat grass which in turn means there are higher levels of healthy fats in the butter, such as alpha linolenic acid, omega-3's, and things like butyric acid. The recommend way of drinking it is two cups in the morning, each with 15 grams of grass fed butter and 15 grams of MCT oil (and optionally a tablespoon of grass fed collagen), blended, for a total of 60 grams of fat. It's something like between 500 - 600 calories. You skip lunch, so you wait 8 hours or so before then eating dinner. You're supposed to feel sustainable energy throughout the day with little to no cravings.

Anyway that's my understanding of it and I've seen people have success with it.

Horse milk. Lol look at this guy

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Maldoror posted:

Not really... a mammal makes energy either through fat + protein (ketosis) or sugar / carb (glycolysis). Ketosis is how the body uses the fat it's stored. One shouldn't smell like acetone unless the body is an a state of disorder called ketoacidosis, which is extreme and uncontrolled.

The rational is that mammals in Earth's natural environment eat sugar but nowhere near the amount of highly refined and concentrated sugars and carbs in the typical American diet.

So you switch to fat and protein and try to turn on ketosis as much as possible. You make the energy from the fat and protein that you eat. By eating less calories than you burn, you more easily and naturally use ketosis to burn stored fat. After you lose what you want to lose, you up calories and add some sugar / carb back to maintain.

(It is interesting to note that obligate carnivores (100% meat eaters) like cats do have glycolysis but their bodies cannot rely on it exclusively; they make most all of their energy through ketosis which is why cats must eat only meat (protein) or they will get sick and die. It's also interesting to note how cats are known for being high energy when they're awake, but then rest and sleep up to 16 hours for the rest of the day.)

When you switch to ketogenic from heavy glycolysis you will definitely feel less energy during the transition, but if you do it right and don't cheat that should correct somewhat. A lot of people add a stimulant like caffeine, which is why a lot of people do BulletProof Coffee, which adds butter, MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides which are fats that turn to energy very quickly; horse milk is high in them for example), and sometimes collagen protein to coffee which is homogenized in a blender for 30 seconds. You're supposed to use butter that comes only from cows that eat grass which in turn means there are higher levels of healthy fats in the butter, such as alpha linolenic acid, omega-3's, and things like butyric acid. The recommend way of drinking it is two cups in the morning, each with 15 grams of grass fed butter and 15 grams of MCT oil (and optionally a tablespoon of grass fed collagen), blended, for a total of 60 grams of fat. It's something like between 500 - 600 calories. You skip lunch, so you wait 8 hours or so before then eating dinner. You're supposed to feel sustainable energy throughout the day with little to no cravings.

Anyway that's my understanding of it and I've seen people have success with it.

This was a highly informative post, thank you for writing it. It's been a while since I read about this kind of stuff, so it's nice to have the facts presented again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've lost 18 pounds so far by keeping track of my calories and drinking unsweetened iced tea instead of diet soda. When I want something tasty I eat it, because I know it's important to not punish myself and instead focus on a large scale lifestyle change.

Protein shakes for breakfast are awesome. This morning was a banana and a shake with 16 ounces of 1% milk, two scoops of Optimum Nutrition double chocolate, and two tablespoons of PBFit peanut butter powder. Tasted good, took no time to make, and filled me up.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 14, 2016

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

News gets around the industry very quickly, and its not that big of an industry. Its not like CIG is the only ones hiring.
It also can't help that they decided to put their offices in the most expensive place they could find outside of downtown new york or san francisco.

Even before all of the publicity I was warned against working for chris roberts by many people, some of them that are friends of his!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

To lose weight, I've done a bunch of small things, mostly not drinking my calories and turning more vegetarian. I mean if I wanted to lose a few more pounds, I'd buy a JPEG, but I'm not willing to make such a pledge yet

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I have lost 41kg (89 pounds) in the last thirteen months.

All I did was trying to eat like a human being, and go for a walk daily.

I have about that much to go before I reach my goal. Wish me luck..XD

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nation posted:

I wonder if a judge will consider the TOS changes - in lock-step with failed delivery dates and previous promises to release financials and refunds - will ever be taken into consideration or if everything will be held to your argument that 'they clicked the accept button on our forum' to accept the terms of the service cig provide, except said service has not got past a tech demo.

It won't come to that. If you read both the Blockbuster and Zappos decisions, you will see that the judge in one of those cases pretty much said that if one side has the ability to unilaterally change the agreement, then it's one-sided and unenforceable.

The issue with Star Citizen is going to be two-fold. Anyone who wants to argue that none of this matters, knows more than the $500/hr attorneys who do this stuff for a living

1) A case gets filed in Federal court. CIG will try to get it tossed and sent to arb. They will fail on merits. That fight alone could pan 60-90 days.

2) CIG would have to prove in #1, why the case belongs in arb, and not Fed court. They will bring up the ToS. And that's where every facet of the argument begins.

3) CIG would then have to prove that the plaintiff was in fact subject to the arb clause in the ToS. Which presents a problem for them because, like me, a lot of backers are not; and CIG has to prove that they did in fact login to the account, agreed to the ToS etc. All it takes is for ONE person to prove they didn't agree to the ToS v1.1 or higher, and CIG will fail to send the case in arbitration court.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-tos-v1-1-expiration/#post-2322

quote:

12-09-13 // Original from RSI website pre-Kickstarter - no arb clause

13-08-13 // v1.0 - no arb clause

13-08-29 // v1.1 - arb clause appears in VIII

15-02-01 // v1.2 - arb clause appears in XXII

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

atxsperg posted:

News gets around the industry very quickly, and its not that big of an industry. Its not like CIG is the only ones hiring.
It also can't help that they decided to put their offices in the most expensive place they could find outside of downtown new york or san francisco.

Even before all of the publicity I was warned against working for chris roberts by many people, some of them that are friends of his!

hello stranger :wink:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Hi thread!

Has the EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT happened yet?

Thanks!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Legal stuff is like magic, everyone knows that you need some good bat guano to make a fireball, but until wizard battle is commenced, you're just excitedly holding poo poo in your hands

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I lost 26 pounds by becoming pregnant, if anyone wants to try that.

In seriousness, I've lost that much DURING the last 9 months, but it's obviously because I've stopped drinking entirely, have started eating smaller portions (because I have less stomach space) and have stopped eating anything after 6 or 7 pm (because it makes me feel sick). Also a massive increase in how much water I drink. I can't really exercise but I imagine that throwing in an hour at the gym or on a bike trail would help as well.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

You are only bound by the TOS you've agreed to — that's the whole point, and no amount of foot-stomping on your end will change this. Contrary to CIG's claims, as the case in question proves, simple use of the website does not qualify as assent to any updates, nor does simply having it posted there qualify as giving notice to those who have signed some earlier version.

There's a reason why real companies with a proper legal department spam your inbox with notices any time they make such an update, you know…

Yup.

As in my previous post, someone is subject to the ToS depending on when they created the account. If you created the account after 08-13-2013, then logged in - for whatever reason - after 08-29-2013, you would have had to agree to ToS v1.1. Similarly, if you logged in after 02-01-15, you would be subject to ToS v1.2 if it was presented to you, and you agreed to it.

CIG has to prove - in all cases - the last time that someone actually logged into their account, agreed to the ToS etc.

The mere act of having an account, while browsing the website without logging in (e.g. access to concierge, concern forum etc), does NOT make you subject to the ToS in play at the time.

Which is precisely why I have several accounts which are subject to different ToS. As digital goods are legally allowed to be bought and sold, it's all very legal; regardless of the fact that they closed my original account (which btw was only subject to ToS v1.0 at the time - as Ortwin himself confirmed in a legal response that I had never downloaded/played the game)

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

D_Smart posted:

It won't come to that. If you read both the Blockbuster and Zappos decisions, you will see that the judge in one of those cases pretty much said that if one side has the ability to unilaterally change the agreement, then it's one-sided and unenforceable.

The issue with Star Citizen is going to be two-fold. Anyone who wants to argue that none of this matters, knows more than the $500/hr attorneys who do this stuff for a living

1) A case gets filed in Federal court. CIG will try to get it tossed and sent to arb. They will fail on merits. That fight alone could pan 60-90 days.

2) CIG would have to prove in #1, why the case belongs in arb, and not Fed court. They will bring up the ToS. And that's where every facet of the argument begins.

3) CIG would then have to prove that the plaintiff was in fact subject to the arb clause in the ToS. Which presents a problem for them because, like me, a lot of backers are not; and CIG has to prove that they did in fact login to the account, agreed to the ToS etc. All it takes is for ONE person to prove they didn't agree to the ToS v1.1 or higher, and CIG will fail to send the case in arbitration court.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-tos-v1-1-expiration/#post-2322

Related to the TOS stuff, if you have a website that pulls the same poo poo that CIG does--say they update their TOS and throw up a splash page that you have to agree to in order to continue using the website--what's to prevent the end user from saying "I do not agree with your new TOS, I don't accept the terms, and I want a refund for the product that isn't completed and that I will not be able to use because of this"? If someone bought a JPEG for a ship that isn't completed yet and refuses the new TOS then how can anyone argue that they aren't due their money back even with the "oooh but the PTU is out now!" argument?

The answer is going to involve the US having terrible consumer protection, isn't it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I want to hear a judge ask, "What service do you provide?" and after ten minutes of hand waving and a threat to be held in contempt of court, Chris Roberts provides an answer under oath

"We mostly refactor."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've lost 18 pounds so far by keeping track of my calories and drinking unsweetened iced tea instead of diet soda. When I want something tasty I eat it, because I know it's important to not punish myself and instead focus on a large scale lifestyle change.

Protein shakes for breakfast are awesome. This morning was a banana and a shake with 16 ounces of 1% milk, two scoops of Optimum Nutrition double chocolate, and two tablespoons of PBFit peanut butter powder. Tasted good, took no time to make, and filled me up.

Congrats Beer- that's awesome.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

ComfyPants posted:

I'll never tire of the double narrative. The one that claims that a comedy forum several years removed from the height of its influence and popularity and Derek Smart are a bunch of idiots who know nothing, just jealous, and aren't intelligent enough to grasp what they think will be the best video game experience in history, and yet at the same time this group of nobodies are the single most dire threat to the dreamiest dream team of game designers ever assembled, headed by Space Jesus, the greatest figure in gaming who ever lived since he was a little girl, their expert skill at making space fantasies reality, and their war chest of $113 million.

Fixed.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

his nibs posted:

hello stranger :wink:

I never left, just lurkin :P

and i can concur, forrest is a oval office.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The irony of a sub-forum dedicated towards mocking/fighting Star Citizen being more supportive to one another than the actual Star Citizen community is just one of those things I can't help but marvel at. Those drat goons, passing recipes, providing dietary advice, all while archiving what CIG actually say, how dare they try and down our community in such a way! :qq:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

So there's a very strong argument that anyone who backed SC through the KS, but hasn't ever logged into the RSI website would only be bound to the original ToS v1.0.

I didn't back SC during the KS campaign (or through the RSI website for that matter), so I can't comment on the KS page. I think it would be good if anyone who is (or was) a KS backer to post this info there. Otherwise, KS backers that pledged, filed it at the back of their mind, but are now wondering why the game isn't out yet, don't mistakenly create an account on the RSI website to ask (thereby unwittingly commiting themselves to the latest ToS).

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

atxsperg posted:

I never left, just lurkin :P

and i can concur, forrest is a oval office.

cool

:pgabz: CONFIRMED CUNTISHNESS :pgabz:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Can't say too much, but I am a member of the evocati and would like to give some initial impressions of 2.4:

It's poo poo.

:agreed:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

ON SPACE FARMING

So, although some are dismissing Space Farming minigames jokingly on Reddit, the opposite is true. Space farming games are coming to Star Citizen. And if they're not, chargebacks are coming to CIG.

End of story.

Unless they can monetize it further, it's not happening. There is no way in hell this even makes it into the MVP. But since I have no belief that SC will ever see the light of day - in any form, let alone MVP - this is all moot.

• Locked thread