Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I would rather read 20 Brian posts about how amazing 3s is

(this is not permission for brian to post about 3s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I would like to read analysis of the pros and cons of fighting game mechanics, from people who understand them well and can make me or some other theoretical third party understand why the other opinion is dumb.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Edit nvm

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

whiffless single direction tap parry is the best mechanic because it makes all the things have more things

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought 3rd strike was cool until I realiEd that if someone actually knows how to play the game and when to parry it would probably become the most boring game in the world.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

that may be a troll post but it's literally like the logic of 99% of people who poo poo on 3s

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

In Training posted:

I thought 3rd strike was cool until I realiEd that if someone actually knows how to play the game and when to parry it would probably become the most boring game in the world.

It's more that parries aren't an amazing display of dexterity and prediction so much as they are an almost risk-free thing you can OS into your footsies 100% of the time.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

oh god i love this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

brian posted:

that may be a troll post but it's literally like the logic of 99% of people who poo poo on 3s

that's literally what i saw happen when i began to get mid-tier at 3S

I'm sure that if I persevered, broke bad habits that OS parries easily punish and got gud, it probably wouldn't be representative of how the game plays at a higher level. But I don't give enough of a poo poo about 3S to hate playing it for a while until maybe on the other side it gets fun again when I could play something that's good and fun at all levels of skill.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

You don't have to hate playing it for a while, you just don't put expectations on the game being one thing all the time and then you can enjoy every stage of it, also you just play really good players who force you to play better and it's ridiculously fun so you get a lot of impetus to get better. That said the US 3s community is generally poisonous so I don't blame anyone for not being involved in that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

brian posted:

You don't have to hate playing it for a while, you just don't put expectations on the game being one thing all the time and then you can enjoy every stage of it, also you just play really good players who force you to play better and it's ridiculously fun so you get a lot of impetus to get better. That said the US 3s community is generally poisonous so I don't blame anyone for not being involved in that.

I want a game to be one thing all the time so I can practice it and get better at it, not practice and get better and then hit a plateau so I can start getting better at some other thing I never signed up for.

You won't hear me saying "3S is a terrible game" because it's not as if parries lower the skill ceiling or anything like that, I'm just not interested in playing a game where improving organically leads you into a trap where now you have to consciously unlearn everything you know.

e: I'm also irrationally salty because I want a game that plays like low-level 3S, but all the way up.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Isn't the problem with X-Factor that it gets stronger when you're already losing?

I wouldn't even say that's a problem. I'd take issue with the fact that not every character gets as good X factor bonuses as others, which is just kind of lame when some big characters could use speed boosts to catch the faster ones.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You won't hear me saying "3S is a terrible game" because it's not as if parries lower the skill ceiling or anything like that, I'm just not interested in playing a game where improving organically leads you into a trap where now you have to consciously unlearn everything you know.

Basically this. 3S isn't bad, but it isn't really something I look forward to practicing to get better at cause of what you said.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

i'd say in literally every game with any significant depth, you'll reach a plateau where you have to play the game in a different way than you imagined, just because that's how high level play trends towards, adapting to the actual state of play is really important because everything that you think is clever eventually becomes routine enough to factor into their thinking. It's not something i'm good at explaining so someone will probably lay into me about it, but I feel like a lot of intermediate players are more constrained by their expectations in general, it prevents you from thinking laterally about problems, which imo is why high level 3s is the best, because it forces you to do that routinely. It's why that thing Pachi said about danger time resonated with me, because instinctual situations where you have to adapt in the time are the funnest parts of FGs to me by a mile, not that i necessarily agree danger time is a great implementation of that ofc

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You fuckers weren't supposed to take the 3s bait

brian
Sep 11, 2001

the people want to hear more about 3s who am i to stand in their way

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
brian are you redvenom

was that you

brian
Sep 11, 2001

no he's "DOPE! That's sick!" or something like that on here but he also has good taste

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

brian posted:

It's why that thing Pachi said about danger time resonated with me, because instinctual situations where you have to adapt in the time are the funnest parts of FGs to me by a mile, not that i necessarily agree danger time is a great implementation of that ofc

fwiw this is part of the reason why I enjoy soku, because the weather system changes things up pretty well. I mean you have some bullshit like Tempest or River Mist but that's a problem with execution rather than theory, and even those can be used in some cool ways like setting up unblockable supers with tempest.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

interrodactyl posted:

You fuckers weren't supposed to take the 3s bait

The real secret of 3s is that everything is bait

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
3s is garbage.

Glad we finally got this out of the way, now we can all move on and heal and play good games like SF5 and Killer Instinct.

(put alex in the trash can)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Golden Battler posted:

fwiw this is part of the reason why I enjoy soku, because the weather system changes things up pretty well. I mean you have some bullshit like Tempest or River Mist but that's a problem with execution rather than theory, and even those can be used in some cool ways like setting up unblockable supers with tempest.

meanwhile i think weather is horseshit but building a deck of cards for a fighting game kind of owns and i like the gamefeel

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 14, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJVMp4MH3g

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ghetto Warmachine is my favorite

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

HMS Boromir posted:

Soku is a fun poo poo game

especially if you like to play bad characters in it, like me, because i love the bad game and i love ice-skating uphill!!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dias posted:

(put alex in the trash can)

Snakeeyez already did the way he plays that character :rimshot:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Luceid posted:

especially if you like to play bad characters in it, like me, because i love the bad game and i love ice-skating uphill!!

We both play Sakuya so we're scumbags, but I think we both just picked her because we like Sakuya. I certainly had no concept of tiers when I first started playing her in SWR eight (christ) years ago.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Sakuya is top tier in iamp play iamp instead

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Sakuya is top tier in iamp play iamp instead

Does anyone here even play it?

I've thought about learning it but I didn't think there would be much of a playerbase.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
No one plays iamp anymore don't actually start playing it

Even when I started playing there was a pool of maybe 50 competent players in the whole US and that number has only gone down

It's dead game rip sweet anime shrine maidens

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

HMS Boromir posted:

We both play Sakuya so we're scumbags, but I think we both just picked her because we like Sakuya. I certainly had no concept of tiers when I first started playing her in SWR eight (christ) years ago.

i just googled "SWR Tier list" and apparently reisen is about as scumbag as sakuya so i guess its only when i played utsuho that i was effectively picking dan. that was forever ago though, so now i just play melty in a huddled group of anime survivors as we wait for Under Night In Birth: Nonsense Subtitle Summer Again to make it to steam

what sweet memories... constantly getting poo poo cards and the weather going awful...

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

holy ownage lmao

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Broken Loose posted:

Guts is considered hidden because at no point (save for 100% HP) can a player clearly predict how much damage their attacks will do due to the amount of overlapping behind the scenes math.

As an example, Skullgirls More Different introduced Drama, which was a combo length limitation system to complement the Infinite Prevention System. Every attack did a certain amount of Drama and it would drain at a specific rate when out of hitstun or blockstun. Skullgirls Unfinished Business put a meter onscreen to show how much Drama you had. This is the difference between bad implementation and good implementation.

It's just like what I said with stun in SF4 vs. stun in SFV. SFV shows stun visually, so it feels less random and less arbitrary. I hate the fact that stun is accumulated in situations other than counter-hits, as all it's good for at that point is allowing way too much damage, but it's still possible to make a lovely mechanic shittier by implementing it in a bad way.

The values for all things SG2E are defined and discernible from what you're doing. Defense modifiers don't exist, bonuses from things like taunts have clear visual indicators, IPS is obvious, physics don't change with combo length, and there's even a reset indicator. It's very easy to make up a combo on the fly and know that it'll work because you don't have to worry about hitstun decay loving with your poo poo. You can invest all your resources into a punish that looks like it'll kill without the risk of it arbitrarily not being able to kill due to fuckery between how much HP the opponent had left and how much HP it looked like they had. There are clear visual indicators of things like counter-hits, overheads, assist states, and so on. Nothing feels arbitrary outside of mixups and setups.

I'm sure Mike Z probably disagrees with half of what I say, given that he put Drama into MDE without a meter, he loves Guilty Gear which I loving hate, he thinks Filia isn't redundant, 3rd Strike is one of his favorite games which I think is a gigantic piece of poo poo, and he likes juggalo music which is objectively terrible. My viewpoints come from the position of somebody who plays and designs board games, so I prefer clear rules with as little bullshit in the way as possible.

under this logic invisible hitboxes during gameplay are pretty much inexcusable so i guess that rules out every fighting game ever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hidden poo poo is part of what makes fighting games better than just a game of rock paper scissors

that said, what is or should be hidden deserves does deserve consideration

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

any place do reproduction posters from fighting games?

i found a bunch on ebay (Xrd posters are $140 bucks each, jesus) to put in my office where my cabinet is going to go

got this one while sifting through all the naked chun li wallscrolls

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

do you have a HQ version of that poster

because if you print out that version, it's gonna look p. bad

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

General Morden posted:

do you have a HQ version of that poster

because if you print out that version, it's gonna look p. bad

it was 5 bucks on ebay, i rolled the dice and we will see what china says

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

I hate the fact that stun is accumulated in situations other than counter-hits, as all it's good for at that point is allowing way too much damage, but it's still possible to make a lovely mechanic shittier by implementing it in a bad way.

what the gently caress is this

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he apparently hates that stun does what it's supposed to do

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You know what series I miss? Battle Arena Toshinden. Especially the third game.

Janky but insane system, fun characters, rocking synth music, DAVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spermgod posted:

under this logic invisible hitboxes during gameplay are pretty much inexcusable so i guess that rules out every fighting game ever

Doesn't KI and Skullgirls have hitbox viewer built into training mode?