Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

I have to make this. So hungry.

Also, gently caress stuff like this:

Grimble fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Pineapple is one of the best pizza toppings, the others being pepperoni and jalapenos

This guy knows whats up.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Pineapple, ham, extea cheese, no sauce, douse with sriracha or hot sauce.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Whole lotta hitlers around lately

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

What the hell is that?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Mizuti posted:

What the hell is that?

Test result: Pine needles.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mizuti posted:

What the hell is that?

Gonna assume it probably costs $15-20 per plate.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Captainsalami posted:

Pineapple, ham, extea cheese, no sauce, douse with sriracha or hot sauce.

YES. I do pepperoni instead of ham, but otherwise exactly this. Did you used to work at a pizza restaurant?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
No, just a fat guy who knows what tastes good. Close enough :v:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

GrandpaPants posted:

Gonna assume it probably costs $15-20 per plate.
Not in this case, it's part of a 5-course meal that probably cost hundreds of dollars. Also I found out that they only had 20 tickets available for this event, only sold by a cyclist traveling around Oslo who had to be found through cryptic hints posted by the restaurant on twitter. I wasn't aware it was possible to disappear this far up into one's own rear end.

Some of what else you would have gotten with your meal:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rebel Blob posted:

Not in this case, it's part of a 5-course meal that probably cost hundreds of dollars. Also I found out that they only had 20 tickets available for this event, only sold by a cyclist traveling around Oslo who had to be found through cryptic hints posted by the restaurant on twitter. I wasn't aware it was possible to disappear this far up into one's own rear end.

FEEED ME

WHAT IS THAT FOOD FOR ANTS?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Roro posted:

Test result: Pine needles.

Actually it's spruce.

Also don't eat spruce needles, they don't taste good at all. You can trust me on this.

I also assume the other thing is boiled rattlesnake tails?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay so I'm gonna need your recipe for this because your description just gave my tongue an erection.

And no I have no idea how this is possible.

OK, so I just cook to taste, but here's the basic jist of it:

4 boneless pork chops, try and get some marbled ones (ref: http://slideplayer.com/slide/8699529/), just grocery store thickness for speed, or you could reverse sear a thick bastard
Black pepper to taste
2T oil
One can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup (or just cut up a pineapple, juice half of it, and make a sugar syrup out of the juice and sugar, w/e)
2T soy sauce (Tamari for life) -or- 1T soy and 1T Worcestershire sauce
Some wine would not be a problem or maybe try some apple cider vinegar if this is too sweet
2-4T sugar, to taste

Pre-heat skillet on medium high with oil, drop that pepper on the chops liberally on both sides. Cook the chops, 3 minutes a side, and check for middle to be around 140. If not there, reduce heat to medium-low and flip every minute until done or drop it in an oven or tent with foil or w/e. Just make some nice juicy chops is all, get the little bit of pink left throughout ideally. Move those chops over to rest and don't drain that pan! Drop in rest of ingredients and return to medium-high and deglaze. Reduce, stirring frequently and making sure pineapple gets some turning action. Taste that poo poo and season as you think it needs it, but remember it's going to be getting more intense here so look for balance of sugar/salt/sour rather than intensity. When the sauce reads 218-225 degrees depending on how thick you want this, you have yourself a glaze or something. Get that glaze all over those chops immediately and serve with some teriyaki veggies or whatever you feel like.

The pineapple chunks basically become infused with porky sweetness and are basically little semi-savory candies. They're almost too intense to eat alone and need to be eaten with the pork.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 15, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drop the syrup part and that would extremely be my poo poo.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Frankston posted:

Pineapple is one of the best pizza toppings, the others being pepperoni and jalapenos

Amen (though I'd add bell peppers to the list as well).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Drop the syrup part and that would extremely be my poo poo.

I'd get rid of the syrup and substitute a little brown sugar instead of regular sugar. And I'd add pancetta because pork.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mizuti posted:

What the hell is that?

Probably langostine/Norway lobster tail.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Spruce tips (the lighter green, youngest leaves that grow at the end of the branch) are tender and relatively nutritious. But they still taste like pine needles and I would only eat them in a survival situation, or while hiking to show friends that they can eat them in a survival situation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

baquerd posted:

OK, so I just cook to taste, but here's the basic jist of it:

4 boneless pork chops, try and get some marbled ones (ref: http://slideplayer.com/slide/8699529/), just grocery store thickness for speed, or you could reverse sear a thick bastard
Black pepper to taste
2T oil
One can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup (or just cut up a pineapple, juice half of it, and make a sugar syrup out of the juice and sugar, w/e)
2T soy sauce (Tamari for life) -or- 1T soy and 1T Worcestershire sauce
Some wine would not be a problem or maybe try some apple cider vinegar if this is too sweet
2-4T sugar, to taste

Pre-heat skillet on medium high with oil, drop that pepper on the chops liberally on both sides. Cook the chops, 3 minutes a side, and check for middle to be around 140. If not there, reduce heat to medium-low and flip every minute until done or drop it in an oven or tent with foil or w/e. Just make some nice juicy chops is all, get the little bit of pink left throughout ideally. Move those chops over to rest and don't drain that pan! Drop in rest of ingredients and return to medium-high and deglaze. Reduce, stirring frequently and making sure pineapple gets some turning action. Taste that poo poo and season as you think it needs it, but remember it's going to be getting more intense here so look for balance of sugar/salt/sour rather than intensity. When the sauce reads 218-225 degrees depending on how thick you want this, you have yourself a glaze or something. Get that glaze all over those chops immediately and serve with some teriyaki veggies or whatever you feel like.

The pineapple chunks basically become infused with porky sweetness and are basically little semi-savory candies. They're almost too intense to eat alone and need to be eaten with the pork.

I can't wait to be Hitler later.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

This image has never resonated more.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank you have a restaurant / cuisine that had to sell that food cheap due to a variety of reasons (but namely coming from poor immigrants whose culture was seen as somewhat cheap by host country) vs a cuisine/restaurant that has been seen as haute culture and able to handpick and grow stuff specifically for said restaurant. Then afain ive gotten accostumed to folk who post that image also looking at dishes that looked worse than just dumping franks and beans on a plate and using that as a good argument.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pineapple is a weirdly divisive food. And also delicious.

I like eating pineapple by itself but it ruins anything it touches. See also: raisins.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

This is why poor people are fat?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I like eating pineapple by itself but it ruins anything it touches. See also: raisins.

Haagen Dazs Pineapple Coconut and Rum Raisin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Moon Monster posted:

Raisins are awful by themselves but they're great as an ingredient. Pineapple is... OK I guess? It's good on pizza or in a burger, but that's about it.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Raisins are awful by themselves but they're great as an ingredient.
Raisins are an inexcusable waste of delicious grapes. Got too many grapes lying around? Make wine!
(Yes I know it's more complex than that I just fuckin hate raisins)

For content, I hate the trend of taking a classic blue collar food and trying to make it extra fancy at 2x-5x the price. I live in Boston and it seems like arisinal donuts at several dollars a pastry are the new hotness and there's something about it that makes me feel the participants are missing the point. A donut should be satisfying and under a buck, which is why Twin Donuts in Allston will always have a special place in my heart.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

sudonim posted:

For content, I hate the trend of taking a classic blue collar food and trying to make it extra fancy at 2x-5x the price. I live in Boston and it seems like arisinal donuts at several dollars a pastry are the new hotness and there's something about it that makes me feel the participants are missing the point. A donut should be satisfying and under a buck, which is why Twin Donuts in Allston will always have a special place in my heart.

Donut chat. When I was growing up, there would always be a guy running a mini-donut truck at the main shopping center. Guy only cooked up the donuts right when you ordered, so you got a bag full of fresh mini-donuts and you got to see the entire process from start to finish, for a few marks.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There's a place near where I work that does ~artisinal donuts~ for $1.50 a pop, and they are super worth it. They cook them and assemble them right in front of you so they're still warm when you get them. I get their apple pie donut pretty much every time i walk by and it's amazing (fourth column, bottom row)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

ranbo das posted:

There's a place near where I work that does ~artisinal donuts~ for $1.50 a pop, and they are super worth it. They cook them and assemble them right in front of you so they're still warm when you get them. I get their apple pie donut pretty much every time i walk by and it's amazing (fourth column, bottom row)

I tried some artisinal donuts recently too because I saw the bakery (actually just a stand... that I had to track down because they do that dumb hipster popup poo poo) on some list of the best Canadian baked goods or whatever. I paid $12 for one of these boxes and they were super dense and heavy and not very balanced in flavour, plus overwhelmingly sweet. They were the worst donuts I'd ever had :( clockwise: birthday cake, rosewater, horchata, salted caramel. all tasted overwhelmingly of sugar and not much else except for WAY TOO MUCH rosewater, which I usually love. I would have been better off going to Tim's.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bomrek posted:

This image has never resonated more.

I cannot tell what either of those foods are.

On the left we have... some rice? And courgettes, I think. And do I see bits of roast potato? Some curly things that look like they could be either meat or pastry, probably meat. Maybe some mushrooms in at the back?

On the right we have... Is it fish? Or maybe pork belly? On top of... uh... I'm gonna guess there's some tomato down there. Some yellowy thin stuff, maybe bell peppers? All floating in what looks kind of like orange juice? There's some green stuff, can't tell what that is. Spinach?

:shrug:

Both meals look pretty horrible.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

On the left we have... some rice? And courgettes, I think. And do I see bits of roast potato? Some curly things that look like they could be either meat or pastry, probably meat. Maybe some mushrooms in at the back?

On the right we have... Is it fish? Or maybe pork belly? On top of... uh... I'm gonna guess there's some tomato down there. Some yellowy thin stuff, maybe bell peppers? All floating in what looks kind of like orange juice? There's some green stuff, can't tell what that is. Spinach?

lmao this guy is gonna lose his fuckin mind the first time he walks into a chinese takeout joint

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid food trends: Shrimp and/or chicken on rice

I mean what even is that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

what is it even like to be this sheltered?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Voodoo Donuts started that trend here in Portland and is almost universally loathed by people from here.

People seriously stand in lines out in Oregon rain for up to an hour to spend way too much money for donuts that are just gonna get soaked in the rain and holy gently caress it is so goddamn baffling

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Look at this scrub that's never seen a Hibachi. Get some culture dude.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

How do you not know what a shrimp looks like? Is that a thing, people not knowing what a shrimp is?

Phineas Rhyne
Dec 24, 2009

Frankston posted:

My local pizza shop lists all of the above as their "perfect" combo pizza.

They are correct.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Those are shrimp you weirdo

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I would eat the gently caress out of both of those meals, possibly at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Wow, sorry I can't recognize a food I don't see very often in a crappy over-magnified phone photo I guess.

• Locked thread