Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ifonlyyouknew
Apr 13, 2016
I have just gotten out of a long term relationship. Best thing i have ever done. There is years of emotional and mental trauma to heal from. How did you escape your ex partner? How long did it take you to move on to a healthy relationship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ifonlyyouknew posted:

I have just gotten out of a long term relationship. Best thing i have ever done. There is years of emotional and mental trauma to heal from. How did you escape your ex partner? How long did it take you to move on to a healthy relationship?

Make this thread here instead op: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
One piece of advice I would give is if you've been in a relationship for a very long time and when its all over and you're looking for a new person, don't find someone who hasn't had a long term relationship before. Its very difficult to mesh 'first time relationship, totally in love, lets play with each others hands and giggle and pass notes' with 'guy who is jaded on the whole thing because he was with someone for 6 years before and just wants someone to share the bills with'

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
In retrospect all of my exes who seemed so crazy were just people struggling with trying to sort out a life that was not what they were lead to expect, same as me, and untimely I wish we had been nicer to each other, but I thought think we all did the best we could, all things considered.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
Relationship went on way too long and by the end she wasn't so nice. Long story short she rides the bus now and misses my cock.

newbinator
Nov 14, 2014

Get your shit together, and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere. You know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum, I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your shit together.
don't jump into another serious relationship straight away, especially if you're still somewhat young. I heard this advice when I was younger, but of course never paid attention to it. Spread your seed, experience life.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

newbinator posted:

don't jump into another serious relationship straight away, especially if you're still somewhat young. I heard this advice when I was younger, but of course never paid attention to it. Spread your seed, experience life.

But I need the female essence.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

All my ex's are pretty nice people who I still talk to from time to time.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
He owes me USD $1300.

I consider it the fee for no longer having to deal with his bullshit.

Edit: One time he got very angry when I told him his dog was a girl and wouldn't talk to me for a few days until her vet confirmed it.

Edit #2: When I asked him what he thought about filibustering he got similarly very angry and "wouldn't discuss it with someone who wouldn't understand".

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 16, 2016

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Bomrek posted:

He owes me USD $1300.

I consider it the fee for no longer having to deal with his bullshit.

Edit: One time he got very angry when I told him his dog was a girl and wouldn't talk to me for a few days until her vet confirmed it.

Edit #2: When I asked him what he thought about filibustering he got similarly very angry and "wouldn't discuss it with someone who wouldn't understand".

Your Ex sounds bizarre, did he just get really invested in random things?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hazzard posted:

Also did he have trouble understanding anatomy?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just got upset his girlfriend kept calling his dog a bitch.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Hazzard posted:

He was a very bizarre person, very pretentious and mean with no clear goal. I think he probably also had some untreated mental illness but I am no psychiatrist. Now he is just a source of funny/horrifying stories as every few months I will think back to an interaction that makes me sit bolt upright in bed and say "what the gently caress".

Like the time he told me that my best friend (whom he had grown up and went to school with from middle school onward) had a brother with cerebral palsy and several developmental disorders. He said she had probably never mentioned to me because she was sensitive about her family sending him away or like, maybe he died, he didn't know for sure. He elaborated on how protective she was of her big brother, how sweet it was, how much sadder she seemed now that he was gone etc.

I have met her entire family. My friend has NEVER had a brother. I asked her about it and she was just as puzzled as I was.

There's a lot of these stories.

Namarrgon posted:

Just got upset his girlfriend kept calling his dog a bitch.
As far as I remember, that conversation went like this:

"Hey, this dog is female."
"No, look at his penis!"
"....that is a vulva."
"Don't be so loving rude." /leave

HEY EVERYONE don't ignore red flags like I did! It is a great way to lose money and self-respect!

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 17, 2016

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Last I heard she was way into steampunk. All told I reckon I dodged a bullet.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Admittedly I'm probably the crazy ex

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
My ex and I got along pretty good until we moved in together. Then I found out he couldn't cook, couldn't clean, couldn't do laundry. Well, he *could*, he just hated to. I worked full time and him only part time, I'd get home and he'd be making lovely electronic music on his computer. If I asked for help doing any chores he'd say I was "stressing him out" or being a demanding bitch. I got real tired of it and left and he went back home to live with his mom since his surrogate was now gone. Somehow 6 years later I lucked out and now I'm with a fantastic guy who does all of the above chores and more.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
My last ex is a useless, miserable, rudderless manchild. He actually dumped me, so it's quite satisfying to know that while I'm really happy with my current partner of several years now (hotter, smarter, more fun, better at life in general) he's still useless, miserable, rudderless and now nearly 40. Thankfully I don't think he'll get to pollute the gene pool. I almost pity him. Almost.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

My last ex is a useless, miserable, rudderless manchild. He actually dumped me, so it's quite satisfying to know that while I'm really happy with my current partner of several years now (hotter, smarter, more fun, better at life in general) he's still useless, miserable, rudderless and now nearly 40. Thankfully I don't think he'll get to pollute the gene pool. I almost pity him. Almost.

Babe please don't do this here.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
She was a nice girl but we were too incompatible to last beyond the honeymoon period of "omg a person I am attracted to is also attracted to me!".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I haven't had any contact with my ex since the divorce nine years ago.

I am in a much better place without her and I don't miss her in the least.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

When I first started dating my ex, he just seemed a little boring but otherwise a good guy. Holy poo poo was I wrong.

All of this slowly started leaking out after years of dating him of course, but wow. He was a racist right-wing nutjob (why did he want to date me in the first place, I am brown?), a hardcore Dick Dorkins atheist, a follower of Alex Jones and believer that the gay Muslim Illuminati Jew Lizardmen were going to Destroy America. Also 9/11 was an inside job, the moon landing was fake, all shootings were made up by Obama to steal our guns, and the Freemasons controlled our little town in Bumfuck USA and also controlled the media. :psyboom: He seemed mentally stable and never claimed to hear voices or anything else, so instead of schizophrenia I think he was just really, really stupid.

He was also one of those neverending nitpickers. I would clean the house and he would get mad because I moved things of his, like moving a pile of clothes that had sat in his hallway for years before I moved in. This also applied to doing dishes wrong. Things like flushing a q-tip down the toilet got me yelled at. Any time I had a problem and didn't solve it his way, it was my fault. It was also my fault if I solved a problem and followed his solutions. He would pout like a baby if we went shopping and it happened to rain, because "my timing was always bad". If I happened to get sick (I have a couple of chronic health conditions and therefore get sick a lot) he would get mad at me for harshing his happiness and thought I was getting sick on purpose to not hang out with him. Also I couldn't have any male friends because all of my male friends, including a gay friend whom I helped come out to his family 10 years ago, was actually faking being gay just to talk to me? Total control freak.

Now I'm with a guy who couldn't be more in the opposite direction. Sweet, caring, respectful, and we are so alike in tastes and hobbies it's almost spooky. I've never been happier with someone and it seems to be mutual. And all of this was because I finally nutted up and left the ex. It involved moving houses, leaving town, and eventually leaving my job in the area, but it was all worth it and my only regret is not ending it sooner.

If you're having doubts about a relationship on a fundamental level, just break up and save yourself time, money and effort.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
My ex once got so upset to the point of tears because "Centerfold" came on the radio. I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't change it, which was apparently what set him off. He thought I forgot he hated it. I think I said something like, "Sorry, but it's just a stupid song." He started crying harder, because that proved I "didn't love him anymore."

He pulled the same poo poo with "Poker Face." I dumped him shortly after. Then he sent me death threats for two months straight until I got the police involved lol.

brotato
May 14, 2013
Some of my exes were mean and punched me and stuff. One of them was 100% convinced that aliens built the pyramids. I heard he cooks meth now and I'm not too surprised.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

All my ex's are pretty nice people who I still talk to from time to time.

Same. Pretty much the reason all my relationships ended was due to relocation or that they eventually wanted kids and I didnt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Wtf how are so many lovely people getting into long term relationships?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Wtf how are so many lovely people getting into long term relationships?!?

There's a lot of lovely people in the world and many of them, like lizard people, don't reveal their shittiness until they think it's safe.

• Locked thread