Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do people actually use steam search results to find games? i almost always have a specific name im looking for or click on one of those "similar games" links on a store page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

or click on one of those "similar games" links on a store page

Yeah, but whether those get shown to you depends on metrics like review numbers. (Though total sales volume counts most, it seems)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I get why people try to defend negative reviews with lengthy play times but its the scale of the commitment with games that changes things. You can spend 90 minutes with a movie or a couple hours with a book and finish it and go "you know, that was crap" but if you spend dozens and dozens of hours with a game it is pretty hard to cry about it being the worst. Spending the equivalent of many full workdays playing a thing shows that either it ain't that bad or you are crazy.

Steam reviews just aren't a good place for criticism. They are Backpacker Magazine style buy this/don't buy this. There's no room for nuance and if you spend ludicrous hours with something that costs $10 it is pretty hard to judge it a poor value. There are other places better suited for armchair designer thoughts.

Buy this/don't buy this from the general public is 100% worthless to any consumer who is not completely retarded, and if steam's search/sorting features make heavy use of this that's a problem with their implementation, not with people who write thoughtful and detailed reviews that fall on the negative side overall. No moral justification is required to click the thumbs up or thumbs down button no matter how many thousands of hours you've spent in a game. I will grant you that thoughtful criticism is likely to be buried in steam reviews, but I absolutely refuse to fault people for offering it there and I always appreciate it when they do. There is plenty of room for nuance because I give zero fucks about what color the icon over the text is. Fewer essentially empty reviews and more armchair designer thoughts would substantially improve my experience with the platform so I'm all in favor of them. I'm sorry if that fucks with someone's metrics (I really sincerely am, I like madjack and I like his game), but as a consumer it's a clear benefit to me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Awesome! posted:

do people actually use steam search results to find games? i almost always have a specific name im looking for or click on one of those "similar games" links on a store page

Occasionally I'll open up the steam specials to see what's on sale, and the thumbs up / thumbs down / mixed icon is the first indicator as to whether I should actually click on the store page and look at the game in question. Mixed or thumbs down games are an automatic pass for me, unless I already know the game from other sources.

But for the most part I'm usually looking for specific games, and if I'm really waffling on whether I want it or not, I'll go skim the reviews - I start with the most helpful, then the most recent, then go back to look for "professional" reviews (eurogamer, rock paper shotgun, etc) and gameplay videos, and that'll all add up in my mind to a purchase or not.

I don't know if many people put in that kind of research when they want a game, but that's what I do. :shrug:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The game Xenoblade Chronicles X was an interesting case, because the original Wii Xenoblade was pretty amazing, and I put a ton of hours into that one. I read a bunch of reviews for the new one and apparently for a lot of people it turns out that despite all the flair it just wasn't a very good game for a lot of reasons, but this didn't become obvious until they had played it for a few days due to how the game was structured. You had to get a good distance into the robot suit and quest progression before realizing the slog wasn't going to let up I guess.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I want to show off something I've been working on for the last month or so: https://hbloom1783.github.io/Athanor/

I've crammed together a sort of roguelike engine in Unity. It's not done, but it's done enough to play this simple game on. The part I think is most unique about what I've built is the three versions I've put up on GitHub; To get from square to hexsquare, I toggled a single flag on my MapController from "Square" to "Hex Flats". To get from hexsquare to hexhex, I replaced the land and water sprites with hex-shaped ones.

There's plenty left to do, but I'm hoping I can stick the source for the engine up on GitHub within the next month or so. I've been amazed at how easy it is to make stuff in Unity; they just don't have good native support for grid-based games!

Just posting to say that this is pretty cool and I'll be following your progress. I've started messing around with unity over the past couple of weeks and have been looking for a way to make a hex-based game. I'm still not knowledgeable enough to start messing with a grid system but it'd good to know that it can be done cleanly with Unity.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Call Your Grandma posted:

Just posting to say that this is pretty cool and I'll be following your progress. I've started messing around with unity over the past couple of weeks and have been looking for a way to make a hex-based game. I'm still not knowledgeable enough to start messing with a grid system but it'd good to know that it can be done cleanly with Unity.

Thank you. :) I suspect I am about to disappear up Stellaris's rear end in a top hat a while, but in lieu of showing off my unfinished code, let me point you to this: http://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

If you don't need to support square grids at all, I strongly recommend finding a way to work natively in cubic coordinates, they make a lot of calculations much easier.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The other issue with the Qud review is that, barring the dude didn't marathon the game with no sleep for about 5 days, it can very nearly only amount to the faintest of snapshots in time as opposed to approaching some kind of Gestalt of Judgement given the weekly update pace---which by now, have accrued quite a robust number with surely a great many more to come. The game is clearly marked as a moving target, this is not the same sort of evaluation environ as somebody dipping back onto something that's been fully baked for years now and giving a comprehensive eulogy or guttural screaming at passerby in the graveyard to run before the monster gets them too.

So, knowing that the deck is stacked to hell and back with forthcoming updates, why leave a negative review with seemingly no intent to revise it over time as issues are addressed if that sort of review is just boiling away as your only recourse? Wouldn't they have had a much easier time, oh I don't know, filing some bug and feedback/request reports on the forums/email/etc for their core concerns and call it a day like most folks have been doing without any showboating?

People are dicks about gaming the Steam review system based off how it works and how they think it works---the only people it tends to really hurt are the small folks as the game of proportions of absorption vs marketing heft is already to their great disadvantage compared to the giant publishing outfits. Nothing more dangerous to indie developers than some smug slavish consumerists going out of their way to drown out enthusiasts and meddle when it comes to passion projects---even moreso given Qud, history and all, is one of the most blatantly passion projects on the entirety of Steam thus far.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
New video to show off some gameplay. Woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQCAOyaZ58

And a gif of exploding at a robot.

Figured I should finally get around to actually showing some gamplay. I figure the meatiest part of the game is going to be in the "boots on the ground blowing poo poo up" part.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The other issue with the Qud review is that, barring the dude didn't marathon the game with no sleep for about 5 days, it can very nearly only amount to the faintest of snapshots in time as opposed to approaching some kind of Gestalt of Judgement given the weekly update pace---which by now, have accrued quite a robust number with surely a great many more to come. The game is clearly marked as a moving target, this is not the same sort of evaluation environ as somebody dipping back onto something that's been fully baked for years now and giving a comprehensive eulogy or guttural screaming at passerby in the graveyard to run before the monster gets them too.

So, knowing that the deck is stacked to hell and back with forthcoming updates, why leave a negative review with seemingly no intent to revise it over time as issues are addressed if that sort of review is just boiling away as your only recourse? Wouldn't they have had a much easier time, oh I don't know, filing some bug and feedback/request reports on the forums/email/etc for their core concerns and call it a day like most folks have been doing without any showboating?

People are dicks about gaming the Steam review system based off how it works and how they think it works---the only people it tends to really hurt are the small folks as the game of proportions of absorption vs marketing heft is already to their great disadvantage compared to the giant publishing outfits. Nothing more dangerous to indie developers than some smug slavish consumerists going out of their way to drown out enthusiasts and meddle when it comes to passion projects---even moreso given Qud, history and all, is one of the most blatantly passion projects on the entirety of Steam thus far.
You have put way more effort into this post than any Steam reviewer ever will. Don't worry about it, people that play rogue-likes are high information customers, if your game if good people will find their way to it regardless of one review.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Rutibex posted:

You have put way more effort into this post than any Steam reviewer ever will. Don't worry about it, people that play rogue-likes are high information customers, if your game if good people will find their way to it regardless of one review.

Sometimes the game doesn't even have to be good :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's my review of sproggiwood normal difficulty, after finally completing it: very cool, would get repeatedly wrecked trying to figure out how to play vampire again

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tollymain posted:

here's my review of sproggiwood normal difficulty, after finally completing it: very cool, would get repeatedly wrecked trying to figure out how to play vampire again

Rated helpful, funny!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tollymain posted:

You should crank it up to Savage, then attack some blue slimes. Have fun!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Void spiders spawning twinned wisps on bite still gives me nightmares :gonk:

Edit: I still haven't played through Sproggiwood on Normal, and I have no idea how I would feel about fighting non-hatefucker versions of the monsters.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 11, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Floodkiller posted:

Void spiders spawning twinned wisps on bite still gives me nightmares :gonk:
Oh my god, do they do that? I couldn't make it that far without ragequitting.

(and as a consequence, I appreciated Savage's existence, because it was hard.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
savage difficulty ickykolo review: ok now game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you ain't got Eldritch, it's a buck fifty at the moment: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/eldritch

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Scalding Coffee posted:

One Way Heroics is having a going out of business sale pricing scheme. 75% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210
One Way Heroics Plus DLC that is basically 5X the content. http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/?snr=1_5_9__405
Repeat sale.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Armoured Commander 2 is coming along nicely it seems:

quote:

I did a test-run of how a raycasting field of view calculation would work, calculating blocked line of sight by cumulative modifiers, so that enough cover along any line of sight will eventually block it completely. On my machine the full map FoV calculation only takes 13 ms, so I’m going to leave it in for now. ArmCom 2 is shaping up to be much more in a traditional roguelike mold than ArmCom: full orthographic grid map, and field of view!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i love caves of qud

quote:

Fungi enthusiasts, rejoice! We added fungal infections.

Depending on your disposition, stay clear—or near—puffing mushrooms.
In cases of infection, a certain species of fungus colonizes a region of the body, rendering that body part unequippable but providing some benefit. Naturally, acquiring a fungal infection increases your reputation with fungi. The Consortium of Phyta, however, won't be pleased.

New fungal infection: fickle gill
As Beniyayut Iym, physician to the farmstead Kardis, reports: "In cases of fickle gill, infection culminates in the formation of fleshy, spore-bearing gills in the colonized region. Upon certain stresses, typically under bodily harm, the gills flex and release a cloud of spores, numbering in the thousands, that shower onto adjacent parties, ostensibly protecting their host. The rained spores in turn colonize their new hosts, rating this disease among the most contagious."

New fungal infection: glowcrust
Iym, again: "The appearance of frosty, luminous nodules characterize this colony. As is always the case with symbiosis, the fungus does seem to 'benefit' its carrier by coarsening the skin and providing some protection from the elements. Some patients report gratification in consuming the edible hoarshrooms that sprout from their skin; accounts vary according to the personalities of the afflicted."

Added a new section on fungal infections to the Corpus Choliys, including their procedurally-generated cures.
Added choronolgy entries for getting and curing fungal infections.
Split brooding puffers into two separate creatures, brooding goldpuffs and brooding azurepuffs. They each spew spores, but which type? Who knows.

Added tooltips to the overlay buttons.
Burrowing claws grown from injecting a skulk tonic are no longer permanent.
Effects now properly clear on the world map.
Fixed some map generation issues with maps along the bottom edge of the world map.
Fixed a rare exception with the area of effect targeter.
Fixed an issue where unequipping certain items incorrectly added reputation instead of subtracting it.
Fixed the Yes/No/Cancel dialogs not being properly clickable.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Johnny Joestar posted:

i love caves of qud

i approve.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was just reminded that some things never change. like starting a new game of caves of qud and mehmet getting instantly mulched due to a faction dispute.

also i wonder how long it'd roughly take to find some spores and get all fungal'd up.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
*Fixed an issue where you would sometimes incorrectly disassemble yourself when disassembling items from a chest during autoexplore, resulting in your death

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unormal posted:

*Fixed an issue where you would sometimes incorrectly disassemble yourself when disassembling items from a chest during autoexplore, resulting in your death

:allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Best bug ever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

feature request: more varieties of fungal infection and special bonuses if a certain % of you is fungus

let's get bloodborne up in this poo poo

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Unormal posted:

Sounds like a Nethack YASD. Attempted to disassemble an item whilst confused.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I play nothing but Savage, no regrets. :gibs:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This might be a strange question, but: is there an overall goal in Caves of Qud? How's the endgame? I'm not very good at roguelikes so there's a decent chance I'll never see it if I pick it up, but I like knowing there's some overall goal to work towards while playing aside from satisfying my own curiosity.

Also, how complete is it? Will there be updates until the end of time?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might be a strange question, but: is there an overall goal in Caves of Qud? How's the endgame? I'm not very good at roguelikes so there's a decent chance I'll never see it if I pick it up, but I like knowing there's some overall goal to work towards while playing aside from satisfying my own curiosity.

Also, how complete is it? Will there be updates until the end of time?

There's a main questline that goes considerably farther than you are likely to survive anytime soon, but the main questline is really, really nowhere remotely near complete yet. :v: After that you can wander around the (somewhat less thoroughly fleshed-out) farther fringes of the map and get murdered by random encounters. If you can reliably kill a chrome pyramid, congratulations, you have a thoroughly overengineered rear end in a top hat gimmick build beaten the hardest enemy currently available, with the possible but unlikely exception of some real ridiculous uniques. The fungal jungle (fungle) looks really awesome though, the current main area under construction.

Unormal can probably answer this better, I don't think the roadmap proper has ever been made available to the public.

There's a pretty amazing amount of content already. Easily one of my favorite roguelikes in its current state.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
The main quest is like 1/2 2/3rds complete, and we're going to finish it before exiting early access. Then we'll probably work on another game for awhile, but keep tinkering a little on Qud in perpetuity. Maybe DLC or something later? Dunno!

Something like 1 in 10,000 sessions gets to the end of the current main quest line, so we're basically finishing the back half of the game for like 3 goons.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 15, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe once you have all the content in you can iron out the difficulty curve a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

caves of qud has one of the most interesting settings i've seen in a roguelike and it'll definitely be cool once there's an actual end goal to work towards. eventual dlc would also be looked forward to!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe once you have all the content in you can iron out the difficulty curve a bit.

:nono:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Gigantic steam clothing irons littering the landscape, FLCL-style, would totally be a Qud thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unormal posted:

The main quest is like 1/2 2/3rds complete, and we're going to finish it before exiting early access. Then we'll probably work on another game for awhile, but keep tinkering a little on Qud in perpetuity. Maybe DLC or something later? Dunno!

Something like 1 in 10,000 sessions gets to the end of the current main quest line, so we're basically finishing the back half of the game for like 3 goons.

Are there any builds that are disproportionately likely to reach the end of the questline, or ones that should be able to but haven't or almost never do?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any builds that are disproportionately likely to reach the end of the questline, or ones that should be able to but haven't or almost never do?

I don't have a good analytics method to compare the builds with their progression at the moment. Some analytics around progression will happen soon though, because we need some baseline to wrap the endgame balance around.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Always Bet On Esper, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ive always had good luck with agility shiva mutants.