Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gologle posted:

By the way, about two weeks ago tidbits of gameplay from that Game Informer article I talked about before was released, so you can see for yourself what I read. The FPS looks overall smoother than Duscae, like the article said, but even in the video you can see some stuttering, in particular when he's on the boardwalk, which I called. It's unclear how much optimizing they will be able to do on the game before it comes release time, so I'm thinking FPS stuttering will remain a problem throughout the game just by virtue of how vast the scope of the game is supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njWA_O2UKI

It is possible that you will be right and I am personally prepping myself for it, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what sort of optimization improvements can be accomplished over the course of 3-4 months either.

In other news, someone wrote an AHK script that let's you cheese FFX's lightning dodging. If it works as advertised then you should be able to position yourself at a spot in the thunder plains, turn on the script, make a sandwich, and come back to having at least 200 consecutive bolts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/4jbhkk/final_fantasy_x_pc_dodging_lightning_in_thunder/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's pretty crazy that the PC and phones are slowly getting every single FF game ever, if you told me this 5 years ago I'd never believe it. Hell one of my main reasons to buy a vita was portable FFX and replaying it in International Mode.

Did they find a secret game engine that lets them port every single FF to every single platform

http://www.redgamingtech.com/why-ps4-and-xbox-one-moved-to-x86-64/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So does every Final Fantasy game with a job system. FFV and Tactics are awesome because they can be broken over your knee. I'm not sure how X-2 having terrible balance counts as a negative. If everything was perfectly balanced, you'd end up with XIII's combat system, which was neat but got old really quickly.

I mean, there's "You can break the game if you think a bit" balance, then there's "Half of these jobs are useless and also our chain system doesn't mesh at all with the animations everything has oooops" balance

Tae posted:

Some people prefer a game balanced around making encounters good instead of slapping on a job system and not bothering to make the rest of the game meaningful
Yeah basically.

Also I'm playing Bravely Second and it really feels like a direct sequel to FF5 taken to the logical extreme, jobs that have some creative ways to break the game, grinding that is actually fun somehow, and taking some jobs and making them REALLY different.

Just as an example - one job can add modifiers to his spell, so he can make Cure into Cure Dart or Cure Blast or whatever, all of which do different things. One of the modifiers is Rain, which makes a spell cast itself 4 times as weaker versions (Like Meteor in some FF games). Then you try to apply Meteor to Rain and suddenly Meteor is hitting 16 times. Then you take a job that can make spells stronger if they double cast them so you do Meteor Meteor Rain. Then you have Red Mage's doublecast passive so it does Meteor Meteor Rain Meteor Meteor Rain

Then you kill a boss in literally one turn

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I like the "work a bit to turn encounters off for an area" approach that Wild Arms 4/5 and stuff like Cthulhu Saves the World take.

I love the Cthulhu Save the World system. Set number of random encounters per area, after that you can initiate an encounter manually, but after that it lets you explore or backtrack through an area without getting bogged down by random trash mobs. I wish more games did something like that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

I mean, there's "You can break the game if you think a bit" balance, then there's "Half of these jobs are useless and also our chain system doesn't mesh at all with the animations everything has oooops" balance

Yeah basically.

Also I'm playing Bravely Second and it really feels like a direct sequel to FF5 taken to the logical extreme, jobs that have some creative ways to break the game, grinding that is actually fun somehow, and taking some jobs and making them REALLY different.

Just as an example - one job can add modifiers to his spell, so he can make Cure into Cure Dart or Cure Blast or whatever, all of which do different things. One of the modifiers is Rain, which makes a spell cast itself 4 times as weaker versions (Like Meteor in some FF games). Then you try to apply Meteor to Rain and suddenly Meteor is hitting 16 times. Then you take a job that can make spells stronger if they double cast them so you do Meteor Meteor Rain. Then you have Red Mage's doublecast passive so it does Meteor Meteor Rain Meteor Meteor Rain

That sounds loving stupid. I wish things had just stayed at the sensible level of FF5.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah basically.

I appreciate a game that gives me one of the most overpowered job systems almost literally right away. The grinding system is fantastic too--like the battle system, you can weigh risk versus reward and elect to fight a constant stream of enemies with the challenge of defeating them in single turns and keeping the combo going. You get exp multipliers that really make leveling and grinding a smoother, less time consuming process.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gologle posted:

That sounds loving stupid. I wish things had just stayed at the sensible level of FF5.

Bravely default/second combat is much better than FF5.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started playing FFX-2, thanks for the recommendation. I think this is the best port I've seen from Square so far. Also I'm usually a huge pain in the rear end about frame rate but it really makes no difference that this game runs at 30 FPS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xavier434 posted:

In other news, someone wrote an AHK script that let's you cheese FFX's lightning dodging. If it works as advertised then you should be able to position yourself at a spot in the thunder plains, turn on the script, make a sandwich, and come back to having at least 200 consecutive bolts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/4jbhkk/final_fantasy_x_pc_dodging_lightning_in_thunder/

I just used that one weird crater that always makes a bolt strike and armor with No Encounters on it. Went from the hardest thing ever to just kind of tedious in moments.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah it won't be a port, they said they'd be straight up redoing it without the compromises required for consoles
Did they say this? I hadn't heard it but that's awesome news, can you link me to it so I can show my friends?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gologle posted:

Those are all end game abilities literally at the end of their skill trees that involve 2 classes that you have to make exclusive decisions to get (at first). It's a setup that works but it's not something you are just going to stumble upon.

I really wish we could stop using the phrase "break the game" in as loose of a fashion as some people have been doing lately, especially with the Bravely default games. It implies that devs couldn't or didn't know their own balancing of mechanics and enemies when applied appropriately as if they were trying to make something truly difficult, when that usually isn't the case. Often times they do know most of how the interactions are or what's actually strong, but they just purposely make the game easy or manageable. Broken should imply other things more along the lines of the "Half of these jobs are useless" complaint, not "there are all 7+ ways you can trivialize most encounters"; despite what you'd think they are not related statements.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did they say this? I hadn't heard it but that's awesome news, can you link me to it so I can show my friends?

quote:

In a new video interview with French video game website JeuxVideo, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata discussed the potential of a PC release and plans for post-launch downloadable content.

According to Tabata, he is “quite positive about the idea of developing a PC version,” but “would like to make a very different project if possible.” Tabata says he would want a PC version to be a technical showcase.

“I have in mind a version of Final Fantasy XV that is more technically developed,” Tabata said. “This version could incorporate things that we were forced to abandon because of the limitations of home consoles. With the PC, this would be an opportunity to release a version far superior in terms of quality and tech. That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use. It might not be a simple port of the console version.”

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-potential-pc-version-summer-dlc-announcement

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Like, what actually isn't possible on consoles other than fps/resolution increases?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Like, what actually isn't possible on consoles other than fps/resolution increases?

Memory limitations causing assets to be split between multiple discs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean current consoles, the last multiple disc game was on 360.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Going from 30 to 60 is a huge deal, especially in open world games with particle-heavy combat like FF15. There's also limitations on memory, like why the last gen version of Shadow of Mordor completely took out the Nemesis system because of the inferior memory hardware.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Higher end GPUs are pretty cool right now with all the post-processing + physics tricks they can do that consoles won't offer because they'd be selling their machines at a huge loss.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The reason there wasn't a dodge roll in Duscae was because of memory limitations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Spoken like someone with no Steam account.

I want a PC port available on day 1, but I'll take an upgraded/International version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Spoken like someone with no Steam account.

lol I have like 300 games on Steam dude. So far no-one has come up with anything other than more fps and comparing things to last gen consoles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I have like 300 games on Steam dude. So far no-one has come up with anything other than more fps and comparing things to last gen consoles.

It's not just FPS though, everything related to visual quality will be better on PC and what's more, you can push its graphical limits past what's commonly available on the market right now so that it will look even better in the future. Not a lot of people were rocking 1440p monitors back when Skyrim was released but that doesn't stop it from looking incredible on systems that can handle it today at SSAAx4.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I like the "work a bit to turn encounters off for an area" approach that Wild Arms 4/5 and stuff like Cthulhu Saves the World take.

I like how Suikoden did it where you can just scare away encounters that are significantly lower level than you, and later in the game you get the ability to never get low-level encounters in the first place.

I miss Suikoden :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Bunch of poo poo. Higher draw distance, more particle effects, more stuff on-screen, better textures, etc etc etc
Consoles can kinda do this stuff but not without major sacrifices to the frame rate and resolution.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Have fun waiting three years for miniscule graphics improvements, I'll be playing the game in september

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

Have fun waiting three years for miniscule graphics improvements, I'll be playing the game in september

Have fun rebuying the superior International Version in three years anyway, I'll be waiting for minuscule graphics improvements.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

That is like second year Steam ownership.

Can't forget the modding. Want to play a different kind of game? I doubt anyone played a Space Harrier knockoff mod on the console games, but multiple genres of games have been modded into a Space Harrier clone on the PC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Linnaeus posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Ill be playing persona 5

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It's not just FPS though, everything related to visual quality will be better on PC and what's more, you can push its graphical limits past what's commonly available on the market right now so that it will look even better in the future. Not a lot of people were rocking 1440p monitors back when Skyrim was released but that doesn't stop it from looking incredible on systems that can handle it today at SSAAx4.

I think the point is, what changes would require a significant rewrite of the engine? Scaling up to better graphics tech would not (or should not, does not usually).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Linnaeus posted:

Have fun waiting seven years for miniscule graphics improvements, I'll be playing the game in 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Linnaeus posted:

Same, FFXV is a day one purchase for me. But I'll also buy it on PC in three years too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ya if they "start development from scratch" we'll all be living on orbital stations by the time FF15 pc comes out

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Considering my backlog, I'll wait for PC version any day since it'll be 2025 before I play that game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Linnaeus posted:

Well with the frame rate slow down and the inevitable memory leak issues you'll probably finish after the PC version comes out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is all making the egregious assumption that the PS4 doesn't melt into hot slag as soon as it tries to load the Leviathan fight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read that as Lightningviathan and now I'm disappointed

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

This is all making the egregious assumption that the PS4 doesn't melt into hot slag as soon as it tries to load the Leviathan fight.

Yeah, that weird demo they released nearly crashed when Leviathan came on screen. Shot themselves in the foot there, though I anticipate they'll have the frame rate fixed by release. I choose to be optimistic.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

There aren't any useless jobs in X-2 though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Ill be playing persona 5

Yeah, it's gonna be a fun month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

gigglefeimer posted:

There aren't any useless jobs in X-2 though.

Yeah except for Festivalist, Trainer, and just about every offensive class that isn't Dark Knight or Psychic once you have those