Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So a while ago on a recommendation for a friend I bought a pair of ATH-M50x's and for a while they were fine until they started causing a lot of pain around my ears, in my ears, and where the band is. I tried various solutions to remove the pain and none of them worked. I'm now looking for something to replace them.

Budget: 100 CAD, maybe a little more if I have to
Source: I'm plugging them into some crappy hand me down insignia speakers
Isolation Requirements: No, I'm actually hoping to find something open
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full sized
Preferred Tonal Balance: I honestly have no idea, I've never bought many headphones
Past Headphones: Other than the ATH I've had a steelseries I barely remember and a a cheap pair of sony headphones for years that I don't remember the model number of but I think it's this https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDRZX100-BLK-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004WODP20
Preferred Music: Not really a music guy, I'm mostly using these for games

Other thing's to note, I'm looking for headphones that are easy to obtain in Canada and I'm looking for headphones with the same type of band I'm posting below since I was recommended that kind of avoid the same pain I had with the ATHs

I mean if you guys think you know of headphones that don't have a band like that but would be better to deal with my potential pain then by all means recommend it

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lucinice posted:

So a while ago on a recommendation for a friend I bought a pair of ATH-M50x's and for a while they were fine until they started causing a lot of pain around my ears, in my ears, and where the band is. I tried various solutions to remove the pain and none of them worked. I'm now looking for something to replace them.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I honestly have no idea, I've never bought many headphones
Past Headphones: Other than the ATH I've had a steelseries I barely remember and a a cheap pair of sony headphones for years that I don't remember the model number of but I think it's this https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDRZX100-BLK-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004WODP20

Other thing's to note, I'm looking for headphones that are easy to obtain in Canada and I'm looking for headphones with the same type of band I'm posting below since I was recommended that kind of avoid the same pain I had with the ATHs

I mean if you guys think you know of headphones that don't have a band like that but would be better to deal with my potential pain then by all means recommend it

https://www.amazon.ca/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/

EugeneJ posted:

I have IEM's - I live in a building with retards and barking dogs, they don't help against that

For this kind of stuff IEMs work much, much better than full sized headphones. In fact, noise cancelling really won't work particularly well on this sort of thing at all. What IEMs do you have?

grack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 8, 2016

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

I have IEM's - I live in a building with retards and barking dogs, they don't help against that

Get a pair of Etymotic ER4s

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

hope and vaseline posted:

Seriously, triple flange tips don't block outside noise for you?

I've got the stock ones.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Anyone have opinions on the Sennheiser RS 160 wireless headphones? My desk is cluttered and I have a tendency to roll around the room on my chair a lot to grab stuff, so wireless would be a benefit. The option to run the transmitter off batteries while traveling is a nice perk as well.

Also they're on sale for 149 Canadian on amazon.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I want to buy another pair of ATH-M50s, how do I avoid fakes? Are any of the ones on Ebay legit?

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I'm looking for headphones that are good for blocking out sound from nearby co-workers. I saw these on Slickdeals: Sony MDR-XB950BT/B (http://www.ebay.com/itm/311562068106). The Amazon reviews indicate that people have had good experience using them to block out nearby noises. Anybody have experience with this model?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's a good choice in their price range for semi-serious audio work?

And listening leisurely as well, I guess, but that's secondary.

Teal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 9, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are the Sennheisers Momentum a good option for under $100 iems for the purpose of good audio in portable form or is there a better choice I could make? Also $100 is the upper limit, but I'd be willing to make concessions if a ~$50 pair are just good enough to contend with the Momentum.

Budget - $100
Source - Android Note 4
Isolation Requirements - nah not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - anything as long as they're very portable
Preferred Tonal Balance - clear bass, clear sound in general
Past Headphones - ATH-900X, very good desktop headphones, absolutely horrid for portable use. This pair will be replacing an old set of ipod iems so i won't be having too many expectations
Preferred Music - dnb

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 10, 2016

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I'm looking for some wireless canalphones I can use while cycling so I can put my phone in a bag attached to the bike instead of keeping on my person. Massdrop have a group buy running for some cheap(ish) bluetooth earbuds, reckon they'd be worth it?

Any other suggestions for wireless (bluetooth) headphones/canalphones that are reasonably cheap, durable, and sound alright? Something with only a single earpiece would be great since I usually only have the kerbside earbud in when using my current cheap wired set.

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
Can anyone here attest to the many, many claims that Powerbeats2 wireless completely eat poo poo after a month or two? I'm hearing incredibly mixed reviews, and wondered if anyone on here had experience. Thanks so much guys.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Teal posted:

Are Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's a good choice in their price range for semi-serious audio work?

And listening leisurely as well, I guess, but that's secondary.

Listen to both the 770s, the 880s and the 990s. They each have different sound signatures, a higher number does not automatically mean it's a better headphone.

For instance, the 880s are already quite bright-sounding, but the 990s are even brighter, some would call them shrill and overly fatiguing.

I love my 880s, and I certainly wouldn't want anything that was even brighter-sounding.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ventus posted:

Can anyone here attest to the many, many claims that Powerbeats2 wireless completely eat poo poo after a month or two? I'm hearing incredibly mixed reviews, and wondered if anyone on here had experience. Thanks so much guys.

Yeah I almost bought them but after seeing the reviews I decided it was a really bad idea. There are a lot of negative reviews about these things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lucinice posted:

Grado sr80e for on-ear.
Phillips SHP9500 for over ear.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD555s that I've liked well enough over the years. However, they've cracked (plastic shell) and are borderline at the end of their life.

Generally, I like the sound profile of these, but wouldnt mind getting something a bit nicer.

Comfort is important, portability isnt critical but they may go from home to work and back once in a while.
Mostly to be used while programming/working in front of a computer, open back is fine.

What's good in the $200 - 250 range, knowing the 555s served me decently well (but maybe still an upgrade just because)

Edit: splurged on the K712 Pro

Walked fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 14, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I bought a cheap pair of headphone from meh.com last week just to have something at work.

However, I didn't realize when I bought them they are the kind meant more for phones, because that have an inline mic and the plug as an extra "band" of metal for the mic.

So when I plug it in to my work laptop, I get a constant buzz.

Is there a small adapter I can buy that will "remove" the microphone connection when I plug it in to the stereo jack on my laptop? Or maybe I can just put a piece of tape around one of the contacts?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I bought a cheap pair of headphone from meh.com last week just to have something at work.

However, I didn't realize when I bought them they are the kind meant more for phones, because that have an inline mic and the plug as an extra "band" of metal for the mic.

So when I plug it in to my work laptop, I get a constant buzz.

Is there a small adapter I can buy that will "remove" the microphone connection when I plug it in to the stereo jack on my laptop? Or maybe I can just put a piece of tape around one of the contacts?
It has to do with the low impedance of the earbuds and your laptop's poo poo audio system. You can tape over the extra contact but I'm willing to bet it won't matter.

Time for a USB audio adapter.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm looking to get my first pair of "good" headphones.

Budget - $150-$200
Source - Motherboard audio.
Isolation Requirements - I'd like to try open headphones.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure.
Past Headphones - I'm currently using Panasonic and have used JVC in the past.
Preferred Music - Number one is classical, then rock, metal, various other genres. I play games and watch TV and movies with headphones as well. If this matters a lot then optimize for classical, that's where I'd most appreciate it.

The most important thing for me is comfort. My current headphones clamp a little tightly, and the cans themselves fatigue my ears. I've read that velour pads can help with this?

Also, I use a modmic so it would be good to have a flat surface somewhere for the adhesive to grip.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
HD598. They are open with velour pads. Most comfortable pair of headphones I own. Usually can be found on sale in your price range.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have a pair of the 598s. They are really comfortable. I use them for music, movies and video games. I don't use a mic so can't comment on that. Like Lowness said they can be found on sale too.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
My requests is probably going to be two-fold, unless I can find a pair of headphones that will work for both situations. I'm first looking for a pair of headphones that will work for my iPod for work. (I've been recommended a LG Tone set since they're wireless and just rest on your shoulders, but there's quite a few of those for variety?) I'm currently using just a simple set of Apple's headphones that come with their iPods. My second request is for a pair of headphones I can use for video/audio work that will comfortably work with a pair of glasses for multiple hours at a time.

Budget - Probably $150-ish or less for either pair if possible.
Source - iPod/Laptop speakers
Isolation Requirements - Open's probably the way to go
Preferred Type of Headphone - Would love a good pair of earbuds for work, since I can't have over the ear varieties for there but would be willing to get an IEM set. Feel free to recommend a Circumaural set as well for home use for the audio/video work.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced if possible, but most of my audio/video work focuses on vocals for that focus would be preferred.
Past Headphones - I'm currently using these Apple EarPod things and that's... about it. Every other pair hurts after awhile to wear sadly.
Preferred Music - Most of my work is just with vocal speaking so if there's a way to optimize for that then that's fine.

I really need a pair that will be comfortable to wear for hours on end over glasses. I have yet to find something that's doesn't hurt after a while, so any suggestions would be wonderful to have. If there's any opinions on the LG Tone I was recommended as well, that would be great. A pair with a mic would also be nice for the pair for audio/visual work but isn't 100% needed. Comfort for both pairs and portability for the pair for the iPod is probably top priority for me.

If I've made this horribly complicated, (which I probably have) just let me know and I'll try to pare it down.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
are the xiaomi pistons still the best cheap ($0-$30) earbuds atm?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just got my AKG K712 Pros; still waiting on amp though.

But compared to HD555s I had: and.. just holy gently caress :iia:

That is all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rollofthedice posted:

are the xiaomi pistons still the best cheap ($0-$30) earbuds atm?

I'd say yes.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I have obnoxious cubicle mates that chat all day and I need to block them out. My current ear buds are not up to the task. I wear glasses and want something that isnt going to clamp them into my head too hard. It also would be nice if they were foldable, but less important.
Budget - $0-150.
Source - My Iphone or work laptop.
Isolation Requirements - Oh god yes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Put my ears into boxes.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference as long as they aren't terrible at something.
Past Headphones - I love my SENNHEISER PC 155s. I gotten 3-4 pairs of them or their cousins over the last 15 years for gaming. But they don't block external noise very well.
Preferred Music - Classical, Metal and Techno.

edit: Creative Aurvana Live! from the buying guide look pretty good, but I have no idea.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 16, 2016

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

After reading more, I think I'll go with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065BPB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18XVU389KP5P6 if there isn't another recommendation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Xenoborg posted:

After reading more, I think I'll go with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065BPB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18XVU389KP5P6 if there isn't another recommendation.
Just to play devil's advocate...

Cheaper headphones:
Sure SRH440
and the Creative and Sennheiser's you mentioned.

Less cheap:
ATH-M50x, M70x, ATH-A900X
Beyerdynamic DT whatevers http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-ohm/dp/B0016MNAAI

Out of your range, but very much what you want:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 17, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Also, Ety's triple-flange tips are the best thing I've tried for blocking out noise, but it's highly dependent on whether you can overcome the weird feeling of shoving something that far up your ear canal. Just got the HF5s recently and I think I actually like them more than my senn hd595s. Huge upgrade over my old pair of ER6is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I bit the bullet yesterday and got my Fidelio X2's in today. My goodness this is exactly what I was missing in regards to bass with my HD558's. I love that "oomph" behind it, it's got meat to it. Although that v-shaped sound is going to take a bit of getting used to compared to the Sennheisers. Some songs just don't care but there's a few where it's just noticeable enough to change the sound. Still worth it for some proper bass though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What do you guys recommend for a headphone amp for PC use. Just for casually gaming and listening to music. Should I go for one of those external ones that i think connect via usb or just buy a soundcard?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

What do you guys recommend for a headphone amp for PC use. Just for casually gaming and listening to music. Should I go for one of those external ones that i think connect via usb or just buy a soundcard?

I vote external. What are you looking for? T-amps? DAC/amp?

What's your budget?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So I really love my Fidelio X2s and decided to get the Fidelio M2BT for work and for the gym. Hopefully they sound half as good as the X2. Anyone own a pair?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hi friends, my partner is looking for some headphones.

Budget: ~$100
Type: Full-size supa-aural or circumaural
Typical music: Pop
Source: iPhone 5

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I work in a cubicle wasteland and use music to drown out my neighbors. I'll sometimes listen at home when doing stuff around the house, but that's secondary. Normally home listening goes through my sound system.

Budget: ~$100, but up to $150 I guess
Type: IEM
Typical music: metal, classical, folk, electronic, rock, blues
Source: Nexus 5x, possibly other portable devices

I listen to a wide enough range of stuff I suspect a really neutral sound is what I need, but I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it and will hug you through the internet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Red_Fred posted:

Hi friends, my partner is looking for some headphones.

Budget: ~$100
Type: Full-size supa-aural or circumaural
Typical music: Pop
Source: iPhone 5

Open Back - AKA don't wear in public
Phillips SHP9500 - You should probably get these. They're the most fun. They lack the bass of the Fidelio X2's but they're still amazing.
Grado Prestige Series SR80e (on-ear) - about $100. the sr60e is about $80
Sennheiser 598 (they sometimes go on sale, check Amazon warehouse deals)
AKG K240 - at ~$50 these are the best bang for your buck. They're not the most fun headphones, but they're fairly neutral if you're into that sorta thing.

Closed Back - AKA WAT?
ATH-M50x
Fostex T50 RPmk3 - There's a mail in rebate on these right now making them $110 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180066-REG/fostex_rpmk3_series_t50rp_mk3_stereo.html They're normally $120 at amazon.
AKG K173 - they look good and travel very well. They're durable but they're not the best sounding of the bunch.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I work in a cubicle wasteland and use music to drown out my neighbors. I'll sometimes listen at home when doing stuff around the house, but that's secondary. Normally home listening goes through my sound system.

Budget: ~$100, but up to $150 I guess
Type: IEM
Typical music: metal, classical, folk, electronic, rock, blues
Source: Nexus 5x, possibly other portable devices

I listen to a wide enough range of stuff I suspect a really neutral sound is what I need, but I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it and will hug you through the internet.

FWIW my ATH M70x are pretty much the greatest things ever. They get the most use out of all my headphones because I can wear them everywhere. They came with a case and a bunch of different cables. They're durable, comfortable, and versatile. They're a little flat sounding, which I like, but they play all types of music well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks. I'll let you guys know if she has nay other questions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can also suggest these Shure IEMs for the "blocking out my annoying coworkers" crowd.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

"Only" $99 on Amazon.

To put it into perspective I sit literally right next to a window and I like to keep it open if it's not too cold out. It also rains a ton here and there's been a few times that I glance over to look outside only to see the weathers gone from cloudy to full on raining.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm gonna keep pimping the Asus Xonar U7. I love it dearly and made a HUGE difference with my headphones compared to the onboard sound.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Looking to upgrade my headphones

Budget: 200 up to 300 euro
Source: Desktop
Isolation Requirements: Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full sized supa-aural or circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: No clue
Past Headphones: JVC HA-S660-B-E. It's pretty durable. Sound is a bit weak though.
Preferred Music: Gaming, Netflix, youtube.

Budget: 200 euro (maybe more if it's justified)
Source: Iphone 6s
Isolation Requirements: Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full sized supa-aural or circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: No clue
Past Headphones: Bose QC 15. Love that I can use the button on the cord near my head to pause, switch songs. and adjust the volume. Hate that it needs batteries. I have no complaints about the sound quality. I do like this headset. I've had it now for 3 years.
Preferred Music: Rock

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sefal posted:

Past Headphones: Bose QC 15. Love that I can use the button on the cord near my head to pause, switch songs. and adjust the volume.

You don't need to let this restrict your headphone choice. You can order a separate cable that does just this.
https://www.engadget.com
You can even get ones with a mic.
http://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Replacement-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00K36XWG0
And they should be able to control the iphone, no prob.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/ten-hidden-controls-of-the-iphone-headphones/

In your budget I'd still have to say the best bang for your buck headphones are gonna be open backed. The Sennheiser HD598SE and Phillips SHP 9500 are excellent choices. If you really like the bass and want a fun sounding headphone, the Fidelio X2's are SOMETIMES on sale but they'll also fit your budget if they're not.

As for headphones for your iphone... I'd still recommend getting closed backed, so as not to piss off anyone in proximity to you.
Maybe ATH-M70x? They're really comfy and sound great. Mine came with a carrying case and a ton of cables too.