Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's the first time we see his density powers in use right?

He was being dense about letting SW leave, so she made him literally dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MacheteZombie posted:

That's the first time we see his density powers in use right?

He was being dense about letting SW leave, so she made him literally dense.

There was one scene in Age of ultron where he phases his fist through an ultronbot as they're trying to escape, but it's pretty subtle and just kinda looks like he punches through it.

This movie is the first time he full on uses it to walk through stuff or increase his density.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

I am going to be super glad when the whole "let's philosophize about how much the superheroes are responsible for the damage that happens while they save the day" trend goes away and we just go back to them actually fighting evil. Like I have really enjoyed the movies that handle that topic well, this has been an even better year for super hero movies than 2014. It's just getting a little tiresome.

Justice League seems to be about fighting the incarnation of evil, so good news.

(Also even Wonder Woman is more "man, humanity's hosed up. Later!" )

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

computer parts posted:

Justice League seems to be about fighting the incarnation of evil, so good news.

If BvS had shown, to the majority of people, that DC/WB can make an enjoyable superhero movie set in their universe, then this might be comforting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I am going to be super glad when the whole "let's philosophize about how much the superheroes are responsible for the damage that happens while they save the day" trend goes away and we just go back to them actually fighting evil. Like I have really enjoyed the movies that handle that topic well, this has been an even better year for super hero movies than 2014. It's just getting a little tiresome.

Same. I like tearing super heroes down but eventually it's super frustrating. I'm sorry 11 people died in an explosion triggered by a suicide bomber but 100 would've died if I didn't intervene.

But you know that in real life we'd be having these very same conversations because people have to blame something for their misfortune. A bystander performs CPR and breaks a few bones, let's sue that bystander. That bullshit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

If BvS had shown, to the majority of people, that DC/WB can make an enjoyable superhero movie set in their universe, then this might be comforting.

The reason why MoS and BvS are unenjoyable to many people is because they dwell on the consequences of actions.

What's coming is the equivalent of "Nazi Germany's invading, gotta kick rear end now!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

al-azad posted:

Same. I like tearing super heroes down but eventually it's super frustrating. I'm sorry 11 people died in an explosion triggered by a suicide bomber but 100 would've died if I didn't intervene.

But you know that in real life we'd be having these very same conversations because people have to blame something for their misfortune. A bystander performs CPR and breaks a few bones, let's sue that bystander. That bullshit.

The numbers given in CW were so comically low.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

notaspy posted:

If Scarlett witch can overpower vision, what is the point having him be her jailer?

Don't think anyone involved knew she could do that before she tried, and there's a good chance Vision wasn't seriously fighting back because he doesn't want to hurt her, so we still don't really know.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

The reason why MoS and BvS are unenjoyable to many people is because they dwell on the consequences of actions.

What's coming is the equivalent of "Nazi Germany's invading, gotta kick rear end now!"

Actually I think it's because of demonstrably bad storytelling.

The end of BvS was all about "super evil is here, gotta kick rear end now!" and it was a blurry, confused, overlong dreary mess. Nothing enjoyable about that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

If that was the case then Civil War would've been just as unenjoyable to those people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

The end of BvS was all about "super evil is here, gotta kick rear end now!"

No it wasn't.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

No it wasn't.

Well, you've got me there.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If that was the case then Civil War would've been just as unenjoyable to those people.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but most of the people who watched every marvel movie multiple times and also heavily criticized MoS were probably not approaching civil war in the most neutral of mindsets

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

No it wasn't.

sure it was

isn't this fun!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but most of the people who watched every marvel movie multiple times and also heavily criticized MoS were probably not approaching civil war in the most neutral of mindsets

This is bullshit. Nearly all of the people just want to see a good movie, drat the franchise. The big boxoffice for BvS's first weekend should show you that.

Most of the people going in to the experience did not want to hate the movie. That they left with a bad taste in their mouth is the movie's fault.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

The numbers given in CW were so comically low.

Also is there some kind of contractual obligation that prevents showing CGI Hulk? Because the Hulk Buster fight in Avengers 2 is actually entirely their fault, caused millions in damage, and yet it wasn't mentioned at all??

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Are you?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

Also is there some kind of contractual obligation that prevents showing CGI Hulk? Because the Hulk Buster fight in Avengers 2 is actually entirely their fault, caused millions in damage, and yet it wasn't mentioned at all??

Considering that the CGI Hulk is shown leaping around New York in Ross's clip, I'd assume not.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Consequences in the MCU are more complications in the narrative, while in Snyder's two movies they are the narrative.

ashpanash posted:

This is bullshit. Nearly all of the people just want to see a good movie, drat the franchise. The big boxoffice for BvS's first weekend should show you that.

Most of the people going in to the experience did not want to hate the movie. That they left with a bad taste in their mouth is the movie's fault.

It's more or less because they're approaching it with the same mindset. There's not really crowd-pleasing stunts. MoS and BvS are good movies, people just don't like what the "good" is. It's why you see people trying to twist their strengths into their weaknesses.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 15, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

since I like some Marvel movies and not others, and I like some DC movies and not others, clearly I am approaching these films from The Most Neutral of Mindsets. Trust in me, I'm the perfect objective film viewer you have all been waiting for.

*hands down stone tablet saying "Captain America: Civil War is pretty good."*

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not a huge comic nerd in general, and I didn't even see AoU until long after it left the theaters, nor do I have any particular hatred of DC (Their editors, on the other hand....), and while I do think there's plenty of good qualities of BvS, there's also plenty of giant flaws and producer meddling that harm the film.

Mainly: poorly conveyed plot elements (emphasis on conveyed, not existent), weird sound mixing that harms the sparse moments of levity, eyeroll-worthy copping out WRT the whole collateral damage element, Lois Lane's complete under-use, and the 100% pointless to the actual story fisting of universe material for other films.

Really, that a film and director so heavily focused and influenced by christian elements is being interpreted as a libertarian-influenced work/artist should say enough about how well the film succeeds in connecting to the audience.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

since I like some Marvel movies and not others, and I like some DC movies and not others, clearly I am approaching these films from The Most Neutral of Mindsets. Trust in me, I'm the perfect objective film viewer you have all been waiting for.

*hands down stone tablet saying "Captain America: Civil War is pretty good."*

but have you seen ALL of them?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Really, that a film and director so heavily focused and influenced by christian elements is being interpreted as a libertarian-influenced work/artist should say enough about how well the film succeeds in connecting to the audience.

Sometimes the audience is really weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

some of them even more than once!

I didn't see BvS though because it looked like dogshit

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's actually one of the best-looking superhero movies.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Whether or not I'm biased has nothing to do with the demonstrable examples of people blackballing one movie while simultaneously praising it's competitor for doing the exact same loving thing, on both sides of the franchise coin.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sometimes the audience is really weird.

Or, sometimes elements are poorly conveyed. You can blame the audience, but it's going to be far easier to change ones approach to adapting themes and messages than to demand the world see through your eyes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Whether or not I'm biased has nothing to do with the demonstrable examples of people blackballing one movie while simultaneously praising it's competitor for doing the exact same loving thing, on both sides of the franchise coin.

what if one of them did that thing well, and one of them did it badly?

like, Friday the 13th does a lot of the same things as Halloween, that doesn't mean one of them isn't better than the other.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MacheteZombie posted:

I skimmed through the Nick Fury movie on youtbe and I haven't seen the Swamp Thing sequel or the 1970s Hulk /Thor movie but apart from that I think I'm up to date.

Edit: poo poo, I haven't seen any of the 1940s Batman or Superman serials either, I have a ton of catching up to do.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

It's more or less because they're approaching it with the same mindset. There's not really crowd-pleasing stunts. MoS and BvS are good movies, people just don't like what the "good" is. It's why you see people trying to twist their strengths into their weaknesses.

holy loving lol

thats right those IDIOTS dont know whats good for them

this is some next level pretentious poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tiberius Christ posted:

holy loving lol

thats right those IDIOTS dont know whats good for them

this is some next level pretentious poo poo

This may shock you, but not all good art has been appreciated always and universally.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

This may shock you, but not all good art has been appreciated always and universally.

So, what, Snyder is making movies for a hypothetical audience 30 years in the future?

I mean, ok, but if I were DC, looking at what I was trying to do (kickstart a franchise into the popular conscience) I wouldn't give him $250 million to make another one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Because most of the time these criticisms never reach an assessment of quality, working backwards from a predisposed end point and looking for signifiers to justify that. To bring it to your slasher example, it's like someone decrying Halloween for being a sadistic work while simultaneously praising friday the 13 on the same basis.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

This is true, but that would mean that Batman v Superman is a good movie, which it is not. Film at its very nature is an artform, and in the end it's completely subjective. Opinions differ, and that's completely fine

You act like this movie is the Citizen Kane of superhero movies, which is far from the truth. Sure, it's pretty with some decent performances , but it's not perfect - the plot is a mess and all the extraneous universe-building bullshit sticks out like a sore thumb and detracts from the film.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Pretentious people are right, there is an objective standard, and liking some movies make u a worse person.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ashpanash posted:

So, what, Snyder is making movies for a hypothetical audience 30 years in the future?

No, he actually presented an idiosyncratic artwork that didn't please the current zeitgeist. But it's authenticity grabbed enough attention, and thus discussion keeps coming back to it.

Civil War perfectly fits with current taste in superhero movies, which is a romp through familiar tones and lovable characters, where any possible idiosyncracies fade into nothingness.

Art is completely subjective and can be good or bad? Pick one argument and stick to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

like, Friday the 13th does a lot of the same things as Halloween, that doesn't mean one of them isn't better than the other.

This would be sort of a decent point if there was a consensus on which was the better film thirty five years later.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Pretentious people are right, there is an objective standard, and liking some movies make u a worse person.

Fact: People who like BvS are the same ones who say they're voting for Donald Trump because "he's anti-establishment"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This would be sort of a decent point if there was a consensus on which was the better film thirty five years later.

I will accept this challenge. Meet me here in 35 years :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fact: People who like BvS are the same ones who say they're voting for Donald Trump because "he's anti-establishment"

BvS is actually most popular among the Hispanic communities.

• Locked thread