Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ggac+
hyper fighting
ssb:melee

it's me i'm the worst person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SVC Chaos
Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi
Mace: The Dark Age

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Oh wait, no. It's

KOF99
SFA2
either CVS1 or Garou.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
CVS2 appeals to me on a visceral level but is actually pretty dumb.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

How many times can I put +R down before hitting the character limit?

But seriously, +R is probably my only undying classic that I'll always go back to. I enjoy melty on a more casual level and whatever BB revision is newest for fun, but other than that, it's just a rotating set of poverty games.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Countblanc posted:

bloodline champions

i couldn't get any of my shithead friends to play this :qq:

i wanna play battlerite

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In terms of screwing around and just fun had with them.

3S.

I liked Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior/Resurrection whatever you wanna call that particular Darkstalkers.

Heritage for the Future.

The new KI I wanna give some mention to because while I didn't ever have much connection to the old ones beyond "I've played them", I've enjoyed the new one a whole lot since PC release.

Also UMK3 for being what it was.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Munsun posted:

i couldn't get any of my shithead friends to play this :qq:

i wanna play battlerite

same. why the gently caress did nobody want to play that good-rear end game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Super Turbo, Marvel 2, and Alpha 2

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

ST is my favorite for now. And maybe 3s as a runner up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HMS Boromir posted:

same. why the gently caress did nobody want to play that good-rear end game

- It had virtually zero marketing
- The League of Legends-style monetization and grinding drove off new players
- Matchmaking was split into literally six or seven mutually exclusive queues + custom games, dividing the already tiny playerbase so you could never find a game
- You weren't allowed to join the main queue with two friends, you had to create a team, a team could only consist of exactly the same three players and you couldn't have more than two or three teams (I forget the exact number) without paying money to buy more

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Akatsuki Blitzkrieg
Toribash
MUGEN

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

1. Mortal Kombat X
2. Injustice
3. Mortal Kombat 9

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

- Matchmaking was split into literally six or seven mutually exclusive queues + custom games, dividing the already tiny playerbase so you could never find a game
- You weren't allowed to join the main queue with two friends, you had to create a team, a team could only consist of exactly the same three players and you couldn't have more than two or three teams (I forget the exact number) without paying money to buy more

That's probably why it failed, but on a more personal level, a bunch of my friends who were totally up for League of Legends or whatever, whom I did my best to convince of how good it was, really didn't want to play it. They were contrarian teenagers so I never really got an explanation out of them but something about that game just made people not want to play it. The League of Legends monetization stuff wasn't even in the game at the time, I don't think, and I don't remember having that hard a time finding matches. Fuckers just didn't want to play a good-rear end game with me.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pretty Fighter
Bio Freaks
and
Super Fighter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

ggac+
hyper fighting
ssb:melee

it's me i'm the worst person

thats a cool list

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ggac
vs
a2

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JoJo HftF
+R
MVC2

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Melty Blood
Gleam Of Force
UNIEL

i like french bread games

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
fart
piss
poo poo

me im zand

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It didn't help that Riot Games did their best to strangle it in the loving crib.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

HMS Boromir posted:

That's probably why it failed, but on a more personal level, a bunch of my friends who were totally up for League of Legends or whatever, whom I did my best to convince of how good it was, really didn't want to play it. They were contrarian teenagers so I never really got an explanation out of them but something about that game just made people not want to play it. The League of Legends monetization stuff wasn't even in the game at the time, I don't think, and I don't remember having that hard a time finding matches. Fuckers just didn't want to play a good-rear end game with me.

You also have to remember that BLC actually has pretty high skill demands, which is the exact opposite of what most people want when they play a MOBA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pomp posted:

It didn't help that Riot Games did their best to strangle it in the loving crib.

Do you mean Funcom? Or do you mean Riot was sabotaging someone else's game because that sounds awful but hilarious, and I would like to know more.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blc died because funcom is a garbage company and also the game wasnt really that appealing to play unless you were super interested in Gittin Gud

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you mean Funcom? Or do you mean Riot was sabotaging someone else's game because that sounds awful but hilarious, and I would like to know more.

Riot had (has?) exclusivity agreements that prevented events (e.g. dreamhack) from hosting similar games.

They also more recently attempted to ban teams with LoL teams from having teams for other mobas.

esports is loving garbage.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pomp posted:

Riot had (has?) exclusivity agreements that prevented events (e.g. dreamhack) from hosting similar games.

They also more recently attempted to ban teams with LoL teams from having teams for other mobas.

blc was dead before riot even had an esports division dude. you can project that in other ways sure, but blc was straight up doorknob status before player contracts were even a thing.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Pomp posted:

Kind of sounds like it's just Riot that is garbage

My favorite fighting games are CvS2, TTT2, and War Gods.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
overwatch is the best fg anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Riot also bought out Radiant or whoever and cancelled Rising Thunder.

Just to poo poo on Riot some more in the topic of fighting-y stuff because they're trash garbage, even if I didn't care all that much about Rising Thunder.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
rising thunder was made to get riot game's attention probably

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, in retrospect, getting acquired by a bigger company was probably the endgame of Rising Thunder anyway

And I know there's been murmurs of Riot doing something fighting game related for a long time now, so it all plays out perfectly

Though I dunno if Tencent would appreciate competing with themselves

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Morden posted:

rising thunder was made to get riot game's attention probably

most of the playstation allstar dudes that didnt move onto radiant all got jobs at riot and a few radiant employees worked at riot before moving over to radiant.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

General Morden posted:

fart
piss
poo poo

me im zand

xvsf, cota, reload

mvc2 is somewhere in there

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zand posted:

xvsf, cota, reload

mvc2 is somewhere in there

Reload was a shitpile where half the characters were incomplete and the other half made drat sure you knew it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

anime was right posted:

the game wasnt really that appealing to play unless you were super interested in Gittin Gud

This describes like 90% of fighters though.

Probably helps that you only need two people interested in getting good to play fighting games than teams of em ALA mobas.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 16, 2016

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
3s, Skull Grill, Kof 98

Shout out to super turbo for probably having the most hours

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Skull Grills, Persona 4 Ultimax, 3S

Beowulf and Kanji are the grapplers I always wanted.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Deadly Moves
Power Moves

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Battle K-Road
Melty Blood
Skullgirls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

AnonSpore posted:

Reload was a shitpile where half the characters were incomplete and the other half made drat sure you knew it

yea but i love it regardless... i would have listed vanilla AC instead but id rather play against #R slayer than AC pote