Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stop making me want Doom 4 I just gotta hold out a week or so for the new Witcher 3 expansion :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Stop making me want Doom 4 I just gotta hold out a week or so for the new Witcher 3 expansion :ohdear:

Hold out for nothing. RIP AND TEAR your disposable income apart for a copy of DOOM.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh goddamm it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mokinokaro posted:

The espionage one is pretty good. The rest are fun but not essential in the least.

I read a review that the espionage expansion caused issues with spies breaking your poo poo regardless of diplomatic relations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:stare: Took me a bit but I got it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is this a Loss reference? In 2016?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Antti posted:

You don't read much PYF do you, it never went away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antti posted:

The baby died, but the joke is alive and healthy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I thought Loss had something to do with airplane crash survivors, a boar, and time travel. :v:
-
Doom talk.

I beat the campaign in 10.4 hours. That's with a considerable amount of time spent in menus looking at upgrade screens and staring at the map when looking for lore/power-ups/secrets/collectables. So if you're not an obsessive person, you're probably looking at 8-9 hours of gameplay. I tried one multiplayer TD match. It uses a loadout system which baffles me. It plays okay, but I'd rather be picking up different weapons off the ground instead of using the same ones over and over. I have no idea about the potential of SnapMap.

The game's pace seems pretty solid in the beginning. The combat is fast, you'll constantly switch weapons, and you can hold Shift down to walk for some reason (bug?). The weapons are satisfying and become real powerhouses with upgraded mods. The late game pretty much just turns into shoot demons which isn't as entertaining as it could have been since the spawn pattern plays out nearly the same every time. I would have enjoyed finding some arena rooms that were just one or two types of demon en masse. At least those demons look great, I just wanted them to mix up the spawning, especially since most of the enemies spawn into the map via little portals.

The maps are huge and aren't afraid to use the vertical space. Their size works in the game's favor for the most part and some places look pretty nice. Heaven help you if you miss a collectable you want and need to start a boring backtracking mission of shame. Some secrets also can require you to come back at a later time which I decided not to do because that's kind of tedious. Good luck finding the levers that unlock the doors that unlock the classic Doom maps without a guide (they aren't marked). The game flowed best when it was kill demons, grab a nearby exploration item, and repeat. I found myself getting a bit tired of the Glory Kills and regretting not finding the rune that makes them go faster.

The upgrade system seems pretty robust. You can upgrade/unlock passive abilities (faster climbing/ all exploration items revealed), base stats, weapons mods, and runes. I became pretty powerful by selecting runes and weapon mods that worked in my favor. Papa needs his ammo for his Gauss Cannon piercing shot. The pistol seemed fairly useless and I didn't use it after getting the shotgun unless it was by accident or for the one or two challenges that required it. Some weapon mods have some irritating final upgrade unlock challenges, especially since I had to hit tab often mid-combat to bring up the menu to help me remember them.

In short, strong beginning and a weak ending due to repetitive enemy spawn patterns, but had a decent last boss fight. Don't ruin your experience by spending too much time hunting for items. Despite my complaints, it's much better than Doom 3. I couldn't finish Doom 3. I don't think anyone did.

I'll need to rewrite this later because every Steam thumb gives me more health.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished Doom 3. Not the expansion though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished Doom 3. Not the expansion though.

The expansion's better than Doom 3, the artifact was pretty neat in it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The expansion's better than Doom 3, the artifact was pretty neat in it.

The knock-off gravity gun was cool.

June to July, apparently.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Games> Steam Thread: Please note that this information is confidential.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 16, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Jerusalem posted:

I made mistake of starting a game+ mode for witcher 3 and now the released expansion recommends level 63 or higher to play. I'm still only 43.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

strategery posted:

I made mistake of starting a game+ mode for witcher 3 and now the released expansion recommends level 63 or higher to play. I'm still only 43.

I did the same thing. Not good :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just finished Jade Empire for the first time. Interesting setting. I liked it, even though it was obviously a console port, the graphics were somewhat dated and the final few chapters were quite short. Shame we never saw a follow-up.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does wticher 3 require you to beat the base game to do the expansions?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Abu Dave posted:

Does wticher 3 require you to beat the base game to do the expansions?

If it's like Heart of Stone you'll have the option to use a premade LVL X (probably 35 or 38 if you're going straight to blood and wine. 30 if you do hearts of stone.) character if you want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The knock-off gravity gun was cool.

June to July, apparently.

At this point I have to assume Valve is doing a system of 'totally an unsanctioned leak we swear' to pump sale income and counting on the actually-pretty-reliable impatience of self-identifying gamers to float them funds-wise until then.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Keys are reversed:

Krautscape
P347T-0MYD4-FE546

BloodRayne Betrayal
BH3R6-AY60K-ALC76

BloodRayne
BD2A6-92697-DI646

BloodRayne 2
36F5T-W2WCP-FRKX5

Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
TNK29-EJLX0-QEWX5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

aba posted:

Krautscape
Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
Took these two. Thanks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tried Metro 2033 again and it really just isn't for me. Those Nazis kick my rear end. Every time I pop out of cover they shoot me before I can take any of them out. It's so goddamn dark too, half the time I have no idea where the enemy is, and again I get shot before I can figure it out. All legitimate design decisions, but the game is not for me.

I apparently have Metro: Last Light as well, presumably it's more of the same :saddowns:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are you playing on Survival? 2033 redux also has a shootier mode.
There's also somewhat elaborate stealth so try using that?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Exanima worth it? Looks neat but I'm getting Die by the Sword flashbacks watching the trailer.

Phlegmish posted:

Tried Metro 2033 again and it really just isn't for me. Those Nazis kick my rear end. Every time I pop out of cover they shoot me before I can take any of them out. It's so goddamn dark too, half the time I have no idea where the enemy is, and again I get shot before I can figure it out. All legitimate design decisions, but the game is not for me.

Redux is the only version worth playing. The original Metro 2033 is irredeemably bad/inconsistant. And this is coming from someone who beat it twice.

If you're playing the redux and hate it then yeah, not for you. Like all janky looking games from Eastern Europe they are all hopelessly niche.

Speaking of which, I just discovered Pathlogic HD was out already and was so happy. Finally I can actually read and understand what the gently caress they are saying! :dance:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Last Light plays much better, but as anilEhilated asked are you playing Survival mode? Because Spartan mode is the more actiony, lenient mode. I played the game taking the latter path.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Are you playing on Survival? 2033 redux also has a shootier mode.
There's also somewhat elaborate stealth so try using that?

No, I'm playing on Normal. I'm just not good at it. Half the time I straight up cannot see the enemies until after I've been shot and I don't even like cover shooters to begin with.

It's not a big loss since I'm pretty sure I bought them very cheap during a sale last year, but I kind of like the setting so it's a shame.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's, uh, not the question. In Redux, you get to choose (apart from difficulty) also whether to play in Survival (survival horror focus) or Spartan (shooter focus) mode. If you didn't get the choice, you're probably playing the original version of 2033 which is janky as all hell.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah you guys were right, I looked it up on the Steam store and it's the original version. That would explain it.

I see there's also a Redux version of Last Light, is it as much of a must-have?

Red Mundus posted:

Speaking of which, I just discovered Pathlogic HD was out already and was so happy. Finally I can actually read and understand what the gently caress they are saying! :dance:

Is Pathologic actually a good game, to play? It's on my wish list but I need to stop buying games just because I like the general idea.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah you guys were right, I looked it up on the Steam store and it's the original version. That would explain it.

I see there's also a Redux version of Last Light, is it as much of a must-have?

Is Pathologic actually a good game, to play? It's on my wish list but I need to stop buying games just because I like the general idea.

last light is a much better game in general and had survival mode as a DLC in the non-redux version, but I'd say it isn't as much a must have as 2033's redux is.

Pathologic is getting a full on remake (similar but not identical to the original) so you could probably hold off on that

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's one of those games which is a fantastic experience but is the antithesis of fun to actually play. Everything feels like a slog to do and survive, but it's very much intentional. So I'd only recommend it if you're willing to go in knowing it won't be fun but you're wanting a unique, surreal and kind of depressing experience.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Reversed key for A Boy and His Blob:

59MFR-848RE-74R06

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pathologic is pretty poo poo gameplaywise, but its atmosphere and writing is one of the best examples in video games. It's why it really needed a remake and I'd suggest just waiting for that if you actually want to play it. The remaster is still nice just because, as previously mentioned, it actually has a good English translation now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

aba posted:

Reversed key for A Boy and His Blob:

59MFR-848RE-74R06

Thank you for this cute game! :D

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Hero of the Kingdom II is the cheapest it's been. If you like causal games where you just click away at poo poo in a relaxed manner, you'll probably like it. Wrote a steam review at some point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's one of those games which is a fantastic experience but is the antithesis of fun to actually play. Everything feels like a slog to do and survive, but it's very much intentional. So I'd only recommend it if you're willing to go in knowing it won't be fun but you're wanting a unique, surreal and kind of depressing experience.

Accordion Man posted:

Pathologic is pretty poo poo gameplaywise, but its atmosphere and writing is one of the best examples in video games. It's why it really needed a remake and I'd suggest just waiting for that if you actually want to play it. The remaster is still nice just because, as previously mentioned, it actually has a good English translation now.

When's the remaster coming out?

I remember reading an LP of it a long time ago and it intrigued me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

When's the remaster coming out?

I remember reading an LP of it a long time ago and it intrigued me.
The remake's probably going to be next year. From everything that Ice Pick has hinted at its going to be quite different from the original version so its part of the reason why they made the HD remaster.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Accordion Man posted:

The remake's probably going to be next year. From everything that Ice Pick has hinted at its going to be quite different from the original version so its part of the reason why they made the HD remaster.

Would you recommend trying the HD update before the remake comes out?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Would you recommend trying the HD update before the remake comes out?

Yeah, if Ice Pick are correct in saying the remake is going to be quite different to the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human any good? It's on sale right now and while I heard there where some issue when it came out with the controls the Steam reviews seem to be pretty positive. .

• Locked thread