Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thabeet went higher than everyone thought he should, but in Memphis' defense Rubio apparently didn't want to play for them, the next tier of talent was filled with combo guards (which weren't in vogue at the time), and and Jordan Hill was the next best big. It was a reach at the time but one you could have talked yourself into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Stop 👏 saying 👏 Th*beet 👏

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

He was always seen as having a short shelf life because he had no ACL in either knee.

I thought MourningView was using literally to mean figuratively but then I looked it up and that sounds insane.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Thabeet went higher than everyone thought he should, but in Memphis' defense Rubio apparently didn't want to play for them, the next tier of talent was filled with combo guards (which weren't in vogue at the time), and and Jordan Hill was the next best big. It was a reach at the time but one you could have talked yourself into.

Was the Rubio/Memphis thing real? I thought that whole thing was overblown because he once said "Gee, it'd be really cool to play for the Lakers or New York!". The real reason he dropped was his buyout was pretty ironclad and he'd have to lose money to come over any earlier than he did, and most GMs figured it'd hurt their ability to keep their job if they punted on a guy that early in the draft.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lottery tomorrow. If it's rigged, then the NBA better throw Philly a bone and give them #1 because ownership has done every loving thing the NBA has asked of them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Looking forward to the Wolves moving up for the first time in franchise history :)

Am I crazy for wanting Murray if they end up third (assuming Simmons and Ingram go 1/2). I like him more than Hield and also feel like he could fit in with either Rubio (playing the 2) or LaVine (playing the 1) to give a sort of three-headed monster at guard.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Nope. I have Murray well ahead of Hield to be honest.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Looking forward to the Wolves moving up for the first time in franchise history :)

Am I crazy for wanting Murray if they end up third (assuming Simmons and Ingram go 1/2). I like him more than Hield and also feel like he could fit in with either Rubio (playing the 2) or LaVine (playing the 1) to give a sort of three-headed monster at guard.

No I think he's the clear 3rd best prospect and they badly need shooting. I don't think you want him playing much at point though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

No I think he's the clear 3rd best prospect and they badly need shooting. I don't think you want him playing much at point though

OTOH he cannot be worse at point than Zach LaVine

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Was the Rubio/Memphis thing real? I thought that whole thing was overblown because he once said "Gee, it'd be really cool to play for the Lakers or New York!". The real reason he dropped was his buyout was pretty ironclad and he'd have to lose money to come over any earlier than he did, and most GMs figured it'd hurt their ability to keep their job if they punted on a guy that early in the draft.

I don't really know. I know Sacramento was apparently one of his preferred destinations and we were like the only team that got a face-to-face interview with him (where we decided to pass on him because he had his mom cut his steak for him at some upscale restaurant). At the very least his agent locked down everything with him, so that combined with his buyout issues was probably enough to give Memphis legitimate concerns.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The only team I believe would take Hield over Murray or Dunn is Milwaukee

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Stop 👏 saying 👏 Th*beet 👏

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Where's my Evan Eschemeyer highlight tape at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What is interesting to me is that Poeltl just stays projected 7-10 in every mock no matter who moves up or down around him. I've been a little critical of him but he still seems like a really safe pick.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Poetl is one of the more difficult prospects to evaluate in terms of Elite Name Tools. Promising but could be a huge bust

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

It was common for people to say he wouldn't sign with Minnesota, too, even if it was completely inaccurate.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

It was common for people to say he wouldn't sign with Minnesota, too, even if it was completely inaccurate.

I think a lot of it is just agent blustering. The whole pre-draft process right now is completely dominated by those guys and they try to use that leverage as much as they can but once the players get picked, their client is locked into a team friendly deal for years. Back then it was common to have top prospects work out for indiviudual teams and even *gasp* attend the Combine in some capacity, now you can't get any of that so it's more common to have teams taking a guy they haven't really seen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

What is interesting to me is that Poeltl just stays projected 7-10 in every mock no matter who moves up or down around him. I've been a little critical of him but he still seems like a really safe pick.

Kinda hoping the Pels take him if they don't land a top 3 pick in the lottery.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The people that teams interview at this time of year is always interesting. The Lakers have met with Thom Maker and some huge guy that went to UCSD.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

The people that teams interview at this time of year is always interesting. The Lakers have met with Thom Maker and some huge guy that went to UCSD.

Over the years, it seems like when a team interviews someone, it's because they have doubts they are trying to confirm. It feels like if a team really likes or really hates someone, they don't bother doing an interview.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

straight up brolic posted:

The only team I believe would take Hield over Murray or Dunn is Milwaukee

And I still think the Bucks would take Murray.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

2017 draft news, but Omer Faruk Yurtseven committed to NC State today.

He's one of the best young bigman international prospects right now and will probably be a top 10 pick next year; he dropped 91 and 28 in a U18 game yesterday.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Are you sure it wasn't UCI? They were the one with the comically large and slow center (several actually but one especially so)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Are you sure it wasn't UCI? They were the one with the comically large and slow center (several actually but one especially so)

You're right! It was UCI. I was confusing my "you wouldn't believe this UC school still has a sports program" schools.

Kibner posted:

Over the years, it seems like when a team interviews someone, it's because they have doubts they are trying to confirm. It feels like if a team really likes or really hates someone, they don't bother doing an interview.

I think you're right. It seems to be to determine cases where there's some doubt as to if the guy should be invited to their camp or not.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vlade stated that Mudiay wasn't on his radar because he didn't work out or interview for the Kings, but Vlade is super old school

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

And of course old school guys love college seniors who had a great tournament
https://twitter.com/sactownroyalty/status/732237825236701185

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hield is legit. He can't do as much as Murray or Dunn, but I'd be happy with him. He's almost certainly going to be an elite NBA shooter, everything else needs a little work.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I mean the great tournament was just a continuation of his spectacular season

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rick posted:

You're right! It was UCI. I was confusing my "you wouldn't believe this UC school still has a sports program" schools.

I think you're right. It seems to be to determine cases where there's some doubt as to if the guy should be invited to their camp or not.

The Anteaters and Mamadou N'Diaye were robbed of a first round upset of Louisville last year. Zot zot, bitch

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd be perfectly fine with Hield, just saying that the rumors around Vlade always sound predictable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'm still cautious on Hield's shot. He has improved his percentages during his time in college and his shooting has a better chance of translating than Oladipo's, but it still has me a bit wary.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Kibner posted:

I'm still cautious on Hield's shot. He has improved his percentages during his time in college and his shooting has a better chance of translating than Oladipo's, but it still has me a bit wary.
meh, if you look at his college career, he's at 40% and he shot 37% off the dribble last season, which would make him an elite off the dribble NBA shooter from long-2 range. Player he actually reminds me most of is Lillard in terms of shooting. Really agile and deceptive. Quick release. Can get crowded out by bigger players. I think he should adjust pretty quickly, especially on a team like the Bucks that can put him against opposing PGs.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Nice table from DX, almost all of the players athletic enough for draft lottery translated well shooting wise

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
What does A40 mean? Assists per 40m?

My hope for Hield is Lillard, but I'm more confident in him replicating Jodie Meeks-level success.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ty1990 posted:

Lottery tomorrow. If it's rigged, then the NBA better throw Philly a bone and give them #1 because ownership has done every loving thing the NBA has asked of them.

I am cheering for the less than a percentage point chance of Toronto picking in the top 3, and I think you should be too because that would be hilarious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

straight up brolic posted:

meh, if you look at his college career, he's at 40% and he shot 37% off the dribble last season, which would make him an elite off the dribble NBA shooter from long-2 range. Player he actually reminds me most of is Lillard in terms of shooting. Really agile and deceptive. Quick release. Can get crowded out by bigger players. I think he should adjust pretty quickly, especially on a team like the Bucks that can put him against opposing PGs.

His senior numbers are so out of line from his career averages in college, I just feel like he's going to crash back to Earth hard. Like, his senior numbers raised his averages so high that his senior season is the only one that's above them for most ratio stats.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

His senior numbers are so out of line from his career averages in college, I just feel like he's going to crash back to Earth hard. Like, his senior numbers raised his averages so high that his senior season is the only one that's above them for most ratio stats.
no one shoots ~40% off the dribble from three and makes 45% of ten attempts per game accidentally.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Irving's numbers were crazy for an 18 year old.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Irving's numbers were crazy for an 18 year old.

He also only played like 11 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd never looked at Hield's advanced line before. drat, that's an amazing year of basketball even if he can't repeat it in the pros.

• Locked thread