Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Profondo Rosso posted:

Saw this last night with my friend and we were literally the only people in the theater. Never had that happen before. Shame that a great indy horror is finally released and it bombs horribly.

Eh, after it's done in theatres and it comes home, it'll probably get it's money back, it only cost about 5 million to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Profondo Rosso posted:

Saw this last night with my friend and we were literally the only people in the theater. Never had that happen before. Shame that a great indy horror is finally released and it bombs horribly.

It's made more than $2 million, whereas the director's last film only made a quarter million. A step in the right direction, at least.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Also, this one had a pretty decent cast for a guy whose last movie was financed via kickstarter and maxing out family credit cards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs_Q4hEqmA

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also, the foreshadowing of the fake face tattoos with Pat getting stuff sharpied on his face in the night was pretty clever.

Ohhhh, gently caress! Nice.

I liked how Pat and Amber resolved to act like Ricky Silva the paintball maniac and take out as many True Believers as possible by going batshit crazy and using anti-strategy, but then proceeded to execute a very tactical plan with about 3 or 4 separate bits of corpse-misdirection, flanking, hiding in couches, etc.

marblize fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 12, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003

They played this and a bunch of other punk commercials at Alamo. It ruled and almost made the cover a little better since the song was fresh on the brain.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I thought this was pretty mediocre, and not nearly as good as Blue Ruin. They had about 20 minutes of some really great tension when things first start to go to poo poo, and then it's like they had no clue what to do with the rest of the movie. The final half just felt like a run of the mill generic horror movie with nothing interesting going on.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Saw it, loved it, Jeremy Saulnier take all my money. I wrote a review of the film and I'll just post an excerpt since I don't feel like typing it out again:

~
What Saulnier does very well in both Green Room and Blue Ruin is explore the banal side of violence, revenge, and hatred. Patrick Stewart's character is obsessed with the details of insulating his venue from suspicion in the murders and is constantly fussing over the proper way to wound the characters so that he can obfuscate the time of death or the place in which they were killed. Macon Blair's character is ordered to pressure-wash the blood from one of the rooms in the club. Characters argue about payroll and appeasing the fire marshal. The pedestrian minutiae isn't so much played for laughs in a Coen-esque manner (although the black comedy bubbles up here and there). Rather, Saulnier seems interested in stripping away the attractive, anodyne gloss other films (like Taken or even the Avengers) give to violent acts.
~

I appreciate the way Saulnier can create a visceral horror experience and sidestep glorifying horrendous violence at the same time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah one of the best parts of the movie is how the calculated act of murdering four teenagers is carried out like a business operation. We even find out later that the only reason they're trying to cover up Emily's murder is that they don't want police sniffing around the bar where they're making heroin.

Also I like that both sides make mutual decisions that lead to the stand-off. Like the kids might've left alive if they had remained calm instead of immediately trying to get the police involved, and the kids might've remained calm if somebody actually talked them down instead of pointing guns and making threats and being all creepy like Werm was.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best line that really highlights the dryness of the violence is Patrick Stewart telling the dude he should've just let werm face justice and go to jail instead of all this but now that they're in it...

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Saw it on release, loved it. I've never seen that many people leave a theater, by the end of it me and my 4 friends were practically the only people left.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I should probably take some more time to think about it but I'm pretty sure Green Room is the best movie ever made.

For loving real.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The best part of this movie was the band trolling the poo poo out of a room full of aggressive Nazis with the scene initially played as getting the crowd riled up for a potentially violent reaction, but then the Nazis just roll with it and are all "awesome playlist, bros"

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

This movie is so loving good. I went to see it with my girlfriend Friday and just went again with my brother because I knew he would love it. I never see movies twice in theaters.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What made this movie so effectively intense was how both sides were simply caught in a lovely situation and they had to do what they needed to do. The motive of the villains wasn't "pure evil" or senseless sadism or other typical horror stuff, it was survival, just like the protagonists. The result was an extraordinarily realistic sense of danger. Loved this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, you gotta see this with a theater's surround sound. The bass and volume make guns sound pretty much EXACTLY like the real thing (minus the tinnitus) and I have a feeling it'll be lost on DVD or Netflix.

Same with the gore makeup. It's all very similar to the real thing rather than being exaggerated or totally censored, and the tendency for people to stay alive for seconds or minutes after being mortally wounded. This serves to make it more horrifying: this is something that can easily happen for real, and may very well HAVE happened.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah the violence reminded me of that initial revenge killing in Blue Ruin, where Macon Blair stabs the guy with a little knife like a pocket knife, just a quick stab and then he watches the guy bleed out still fully aware of what happened to him. And he even starts to advance for a bit before he finally succumbs. Saulnier is good about not making violence "theatrical", which is something you rarely if ever see. You don't need to make violence dramatic, violence itself is dramatic enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That said, I thought the disemboweled guy died way too fast for his injury, though that might have been a rating consideration (this is definitely one of the most brutally violent things I've seen scrape by without an NC-17).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That said, I thought the disemboweled guy died way too fast for his injury, though that might have been a rating consideration (this is definitely one of the most brutally violent things I've seen scrape by without an NC-17).

He was also getting suffocated. I assumed that was what killed him and the disembowling was just Imogen Plots making sure he was dead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

He was also getting suffocated. I assumed that was what killed him and the disembowling was just Imogen Plots making sure he was dead.

He was in a rear naked choke, which'll put you unconscious fairly quick, but won't kill you unless it's held for over a minute straight. My take was that Imogen Poots was the only one in the room who actually wanted to kill him, hence the "what the gently caress" looks the rest of them give her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He was in a rear naked choke, which'll put you unconscious fairly quick, but won't kill you unless it's held for over a minute straight. My take was that Imogen Poots was the only one in the room who actually wanted to kill him, hence the "what the gently caress" looks the rest of them give her.

In general, Amber was the most ruthless of the whole group. She has the majority of the kills out of the heroes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He probably didn't die quickly. But he also probably didn't feel it either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From the look on his face, homeboy went into shock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So did I.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That was one of the moments that got a big, vocal reaction from the audience. Another was Pat failing to shoot the skinhead in the basement with the shotgun. The whole audience seemed very distraught.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

In general, Amber was the most ruthless of the whole group. She has the majority of the kills out of the heroes.

My headcanon is that she's a distant relative of B.J. Blazkowicz.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've never seen any of this guy's movies before, but as a kid I went through a phase where Assault on Precinct 13 was my favorite movie, got drawn in by the vague similarities, really glad that I did.

Profondo Rosso posted:

Yeah, I just got back from seeing it at my local cinema, I was the only one in the theater. The cinema has eight screens, they're playing it on a single screen once a night. Though I guess if I was the only one, can't argue with that.

Parachute posted:

Also, this one had a pretty decent cast for a guy whose last movie was financed via kickstarter and maxing out family credit cards.

Came here to post this. I knew Patrick Stewart and Anton Yelchin were great before this, but Alia Shawkat and Imogen Poots both really impressed me since I've never really seen them act like at this level (and it took me a really long time to realize it was Imogen Poots).

Not to mention, Eric Edelstein, the guy who I've seen as a goofy big guy in a dozen sitcom bit roles, was pretty sinister here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

The cinema has eight screens, they're playing it on a single screen once a night.

You know, this seems oddly appropriate. Does the midnight movie circuit still really exist, or did Aurora put the last couple nails in that coffin? Because I could see this movie having serious legs as a Drafthouse/indie theater event, it seems like it'll be incredibly rewatchable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did notice that it's gotten basically no press outside the horror and indie circuits. I went on Fandango to check for showings and the nearest theater to my office had a single showing at 7:05 PM on Thursday, plus a few per day today, tomorrow, and Wednesday scattered randomly around the Orlando area. When I saw it the first time there were maybe two or three dozen people in the audience.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I only found out about it because I read an interview with the director on a blog that focuses on filmmakers and writers. I hadn't heard anything about it, so I watched a few seconds of the trailer. Was completely sold, so I avoided the rest of the trailer. I assumed it was still months away from rules/release, googled it and was delighted to learn it came out that day. Went to see it the next day.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Green Room is the best new movie I've seen in 2016, beyond the obvious response of Blue Ruin what else should I be checking out?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XIII posted:

I only found out about it because I read an interview with the director on a blog that focuses on filmmakers and writers. I hadn't heard anything about it, so I watched a few seconds of the trailer. Was completely sold, so I avoided the rest of the trailer. I assumed it was still months away from rules/release, googled it and was delighted to learn it came out that day. Went to see it the next day.

I knew that Green Room existed last year. I think after watching Blue Ruin I checked out anything else the director was doing and found out that Green Room was either in production or had just finished and was in film festival/private showing releases. I thought "That sounds awesome, I'm gonna see it when it comes out." Then I totally forgot about it until Sunday when I was in Atlanta on a business trip and trying to find a movie to watch to kill time, and I suddenly saw that it was playing.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Sometimes I wish I didn't follow new movies as closely so I can be blindsided by a film like this, coming out of nowhere with no expectations. Seems like it would be a great way to see it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. I had read into some of what it was, but tried to stay away from too many details. The gore definitely helped added to the tension, but drat did a few of those scenes feel really extreme. The first one with Imogen slicing the dudes chest out of nowhere and the dog ripping out the band members throat was really rough to watch. They did a really good job of driving fear into you, I felt real uneasy through most of it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

There's something to be said for the believability of the situation too. Like, we're never (well probably never) going to get hunted down by a pack of mutant hillbillies or stalked by an immortal maniac with a machete, but any of us could walk down the wrong alley or go into the wrong room in the wrong bar and find ourselves in a situation where we will die unless we defend ourselves or escape/hide.

Imagining being in a scenario where your closest friends that you care about are going to die is pretty tense. And they're going to die, maybe not every single one, maybe not you. It could be you, and it could be everyone but you, but people are going to die and there's no talking your way out of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

There's something to be said for the believability of the situation too. Like, we're never (well probably never) going to get hunted down by a pack of mutant hillbillies or stalked by an immortal maniac with a machete, but any of us could walk down the wrong alley or go into the wrong room in the wrong bar and find ourselves in a situation where we will die unless we defend ourselves or escape/hide.

Imagining being in a scenario where your closest friends that you care about are going to die is pretty tense. And they're going to die, maybe not every single one, maybe not you. It could be you, and it could be everyone but you, but people are going to die and there's no talking your way out of it.

Hell, situations more crazy than "Punk band fights back against Neo-Nazis trying to silence them for witnessing a murder" happen pretty much all the time. We're a weird world with 7 billion people. It would be strange for a situation like this movie to never happen.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Profondo Rosso posted:

Considering its budget, I don't think it's fair to say that it bombed...whoever invested money in it is likely to see a return eventually via rentals, streaming and (possibly) tv airings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

objects in mirror posted:

Considering its budget, I don't think it's fair to say that it bombed...whoever invested money in it is likely to see a return eventually via rentals, streaming and (possibly) tv airings.

Blue Ruin had a budget of $420,000 and made a box office take of only $993,000 because it only opened in 7 theaters across America; the domestic take was only a bit over $258,000. But the film got Netflix and DVD releases and was extremely critically acclaimed, which is a success for a filmmaker who used Kickstarter to make a film in the name of art instead of a studio trying to make a film as a product for consumption and profit.

Green Room is exactly the same. It's the brainchild of one man who wrote and directed it, being made because he really wants to make it instead of trying to get rich from it. It took him a month but he's surpassed the halfway mark for the box office take, and he'll make more from when it goes to home video. Then we'll just have to wait for his next thriller with a color in the title that has a $10 million budget.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

No idea on how well they actually did, but both Blue Ruin and Green Room got wide releases in the UK and coverage in mainstream press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I certainly hope it does well, because contrary to the constant comments from the lady behind me, who showed up 20 minutes late and kept saying "this movie sucks" during intense moments, this movie was awesome.

Really good points ITT about the way violence is handled here. It's shot like anything else. You see enough to know how horrific it was or how the situation has changed, and no more. It really helps the movie have that grounded feeling, which is a big part of why it's so tense.

I'm not sure if I liked it as much as Blue Ruin, but that's more a matter of style than anything else. The characters in Green Room don't get quite as much development (although they get more than most horror characters).

Every time I thought something dumb and cliche was going to happen, it was neatly and believably avoided.

• Locked thread