Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Do the queens torture you when you're with your wife? I only ask because the few times I've been at a show with a straight couple, the queens relished flirting and embarrassing the straight guy. It's a cheap laugh for sure, but a laugh nonetheless.

For as much as I love drag culture, I've been to surprisingly few performances, so I could be way off base. I think it's the result of a life lived in the Midwest. My favorite memory, though, is accompanying my friend Shawn to a national drag competition in Chicago that he was competing in, and watching him lose to a double amputee dressed as Patsy Cline, who sang "I Fall to Pieces" while letting one prosthetic leg and one prosthetic arm fall off midway through the performance. I hadn't even realize she was an amputee :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:eyepop: That's freakin' legendary.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It really was. She swayed perfectly to the song on one leg for a good two minutes, although presumably she had experience balancing on one leg.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

criscodisco posted:

Do the queens torture you when you're with your wife? I only ask because the few times I've been at a show with a straight couple, the queens relished flirting and embarrassing the straight guy. It's a cheap laugh for sure, but a laugh nonetheless.

As a straight guy, I'm called onstage to almost every single drag show I go to. I just roll with the punches and play the heel.

But I love it because as I get older, it's one of the few places I get to make dick jokes and off-color humor and laugh about it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

criscodisco posted:

For as much as I love drag culture, I've been to surprisingly few performances, so I could be way off base. I think it's the result of a life lived in the Midwest. My favorite memory, though, is accompanying my friend Shawn to a national drag competition in Chicago that he was competing in, and watching him lose to a double amputee dressed as Patsy Cline, who sang "I Fall to Pieces" while letting one prosthetic leg and one prosthetic arm fall off midway through the performance. I hadn't even realize she was an amputee :psyduck:

Probably my favorite thing that's happened is when my wife made Sharon Needles blush, actually.

I have a (apparently, based on pictures I just tried to look up) much less gruesome looking than normal cavernous hemangioma that makes one of my fingers fat and light purple/blue on the palm side. Sharon saw it and got really excited and asked about and if she could sign it, which I let her do because lol of course she can sign any part of me that she wants. She asked some question about if it was a problem for me or anything and my wife says "no, not at all, in fact it's why I married him". It took Sharon a second but then she laughed and blushed and then we took more pictures together

Edit: found a picture of my finger from that night

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 12, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's kind of great.

criscodisco posted:

Haha a bit but I certainly don't mind. I'm not the type to get stage fright and I know it's in good fun.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Had no idea straight dudes were that rare at drag shows; I've only been to a couple of them. May not be the way of things here in Oz, though.

Our only friends who like to go clubbing are gay, so the only time the wife and I go out dancing in Sydney we end up going to gay bars. Hadn't been out in a year or two until recently we had a (also gay) friend visiting from the states who wanted to go clubbing, so we did. Seems like all the old gay bars in Sydney are now filled with straight couples, and are about half as fun as they used to be. Basically looked around and thought "hey this sucks a bit now and I'm part of the problem". Sorry, gay Australia people. We promise not to do it again (until Bob's show in October).

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 13, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although come to think of it, it's a bit hard to tease apart correlation and causation there. Sydney's lockout laws have shut down a huge number of bars, which may be the reason for the influx of straight people. They've also seriously killed attendance in the bars that remain open, so maybe both are just a symptom of Sydney's efforts to kills its own night life to some extent. For whatever reason, the atmosphere was different and it was way less fun.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm thinking it's just correlation, because I've seen lots of Aussies bitching online about how the new-ish liquor laws have killed Sydney's nightlife.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I feel like this should be a PSA on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RiNyGdxZyY

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stabitha posted:

This is an interesting article about the rise of aggressive straight women disrupting drag shows. I guess we straight ladies, tired of having to be on the defense in regular bars, have let the safeness of gay bars give us a false sense of security, and in turn are become obnoxious jerks.

Obnoxious Straight Ladies, don't ruin it for the rest of us straight ladies who like to be welcome in gay bars and drag shows! Be kind. Be respectful. And don't forget to tip a bitch!

http://primemind.com/articles/strai...mpaign=identity

Yeah... I second that this has been a problem at not just drag shows, but in gay bars in general for a while now. It of course doesn't happen with that one straight girl joins her gay friends, but when a group of straight girls go to a gay bar, there is a pretty good chance that they are going to be obnoxious jerks.

I don't know what it is, but they just go into some sort of frenzy. They view gay bars as a spectacle, as a circus, and the gay people there are the lions and elephants performing tricks just for their entertainment. Lots of screaming and shoving gay people aside to get through the crowd and pick a prime dancing spot, even when the bar doesn't have dancing. Deciding that the first gay guy they meet there is going to be their gay best friend, and they begin barraging that poor guy with tons of inappropriate questions.

My friends and I have all been sexually accosted by straight girls countless times while at gay bars. Some girls really try and make it their mission to try and gently caress me when they find out that I've never been with a girl before. Grabbing at my dick is NOT okay. They just find it hilarious.

You try and explain to them that gay bars are one of the only safe places in the world where gay people are in the majority, and they just get it. They just reiterate that they just love dancing at gay clubs where they don't have to worry about getting groped by random straight guys. So I'll ask them, "So where are gay guys supposed to go when they want to get away from groping straight girls? A look just glosses over their eyes, it's like they can't even fathom that there is something they are doing wrong.

I love my straight girl friends. I love bringing them to gay bars with me. But groups of straight girls, particularly bachelorette parties, are just a whole different beast.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's the part I forgot, the inappropriate questions. One after another.

"So do you like really hairy butts?"
"Um... yeah"
*in unison* "EWWWWW!"

"ARE YOU A POWER BOTTOM?"
*only knows what that is because they saw that one episode of It's Always Sunny that everyone has seen*

You know who should be coming to gay bars? Old black women. I've never met an old black woman who batted an eye at my sexuality, and they've all just been like "you like dick, whatever", as if it's the most normal thing on earth.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I'm thinking it's just correlation, because I've seen lots of Aussies bitching online about how the new-ish liquor laws have killed Sydney's nightlife.

I hope that's true. :unsmith:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"I like dick, whatever" is going on my next batch of business cards.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's fine, but as the originator I get 10% of any dick they get you.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Stoat posted:

"I like dick, whatever" is going on my next batch of business cards.

I want to elegantly embroider that onto a silken pillow.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
While we're on the topic of gay bars, I'm going to New York city in a couple months. Excluding queens who have been on the show does anyone have any recommendations as to who I can go see? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to go to a show with me and it'd help if I had names and possibly videos to show him.

Also aside from tipping and not touching anyone without permission, any general pointers to attending a drag show?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just generally speaking, drag shows do not start on time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
They are usually poo poo shows. They run late, have sound problems, and strip club rules apply. They touch you. Do not touch them. Tip every number. They work hard.

Queens love money. They also love shots.

Also there are a lot of different types of drag. Rpdr is very polished drag.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 14, 2016

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

And, plus, also, the worst drag show you've ever seen will probably be the most memorable drag show you've ever seen, about which you will think fondly for years to come. Just tip generously and for God's sake don't paw anyone.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

spite house posted:

And, plus, also, the worst drag show you've ever seen will probably be the most memorable drag show you've ever seen, about which you will think fondly for years to come.

:agreed:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's really no wonder Drag Race has done so well, drag's perfectly suited to the adage "forget good or bad, just be entertaining"

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I'm going to have this stuck in my head all day.

Purse First by Bob the Drag Queen YAAASSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuogbfF6VR8

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Stabitha posted:

Dear Lord, I had no clue that was Derrick Barry in the beginning with Manila. I though it was Courtney. I hope Derrick is paying whoever did her makeup well.

And that video is great. Bob loves the poo poo out of that Gone with the Window dress!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Last minute predictions?

I think it's Kim Chi in a walk, unless they have them perform like last year's finalists.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I want Bob to win, but I suspect it will be Kim Chi. I'd be okay with that. I don't think it'll be Naomi.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm loving Bob's dress with that cape. Hope she wins, even though I'd be happy with any one of them winning.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

It will totally be Bob. The first will also be the last.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Stabitha posted:

THE PURSE IS HERE :qq:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Putting in my last-minute vote for Bob!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This "I'm Legendary, All Legs No Dairy" song is great. But I'm still 100% team Bob.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Someone please please do a decent write up of the finale here. I'm currently fighting with xfinity and have what basically amounts to dial up on my phone. Go team Bob. Or Kim Chi. Or Naomi. Screw it I'm on team purse first.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm gonna need a gif of Kim Chi dancing during that dance break. That was loving amazing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I'm gonna need a gif of Kim Chi dancing during that dance break. That was loving amazing.

I wish they hadn't cut away into the audience...

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I cannot believe I saw Carol Channing and Nancy Grace on this drat finale.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Thorgy what are you wearing?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Thorgy what are you wearing?

Roxxy's leftovers from her candy couture dress.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

IT HAPPENED

Condragulations to Bob the Drag Queen and, most importantly, PursePurse Imfurst

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Anyone else scream "YAY-UH" and fist-pump like most people would at a sporting event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Stroop There It Is posted:

Anyone else scream "YAY-UH" and fist-pump like most people would at a sporting event?

I did when Cynthia won.

• Locked thread