Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Pounded in the butt by my first summit attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first two gay dudes to have butt sex all the way up Everest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SaltLick posted:

First goon to have touched a vagina and the summit within the span of a decade

Truly an even more insurmountable peak

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The first two gay dudes to have butt sex all the way up Everest.

If anyone died that would set back Sherpa-gay relations for centuries to come

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
First doctor who cosplayer to summit everest.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

First person to post to the forums from beyond the grave while trying to summit Everest.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Buca di Bepis posted:

has a black done it yet

Haven't you read "into thin air"? There was a big South African contingent.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

redreader posted:

Haven't you read "into thin air"? There was a big South African contingent.

So no, then?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The first African-American to summit was also the first black woman to summit, in 2006. And nobody cared :smith:

edit; the first black African was a guy named Sibusiso Vilane from South Africa who summited in 2003.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

FrozenVent posted:

So no, then?

Correct. (I don't know about the other parties, but the SA party, hell no)
edit: ^^^^ knowledgeable answer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aha, eat it Everest. You're not the tallest mountain if you measure height in a dumb way

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/world/what-in-the-world/the-mountain-that-tops-everest-because-the-earth-is-fat.html

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Still less dumb that “hurr durr Mauna Kea is taller if you count the portion under the ocean [and fail to count the portion of Everest below the ocean because … ?]”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

doesn't matter cuz China is probably going to build a mound of rock taller than anything else and that will be that

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Alan Smithee posted:

doesn't matter cuz China is probably going to build a mound of rock taller than anything else and that will be that

Tallest mound of inexplicably aflame fake rock.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Tallest mound of inexplicably aflame fake rock.

It's not really radioactive guys, I mean don't stay too much in the new death zone and you'll be fine, I think

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The death zone is anywhere within 20 miles of the mountain, at any altitude up to 20 miles.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
First terminally ill stage 4 cancer patient to summit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Platystemon posted:

Still less dumb that “hurr durr Mauna Kea is taller if you count the portion under the ocean [and fail to count the portion of Everest below the ocean because … ?]”

Because Everest is a long long way from an ocean (it just sticks out of a continental plate). Mauna Kea is literally just one rock that goes all the way down to the sea floor.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's a pretty significant difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

webmeister posted:

Because Everest is a long long way from an ocean (it just sticks out of a continental plate). Mauna Kea is literally just one rock that goes all the way down to the sea floor.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's a pretty significant difference.

At that point you’re talking about something other than the tallest mountain.

What are the secret criteria a mountain has to meet to be considered? Why isn’t the tallest mountain Mount Lamlam on Guam, with the Mariana Trench right next door?

If the North Indian Plain disqualifies Everest, why accept Mauna Kea’s gentle slope? Why not limit it to mountains as pointy as Trango Tower or Cerro Torre?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Platystemon posted:

What are the secret criteria a mountain has to meet to be considered?

A big rock higher than the surrounding rocks, not overly complicated.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

Yo: "Death reported on Tibet side from abenteuer-outdoor source"

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2016/02/01/everest-2016-team-locations/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

RKRGoat posted:

It begins.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

RKRGoat posted:

:rip:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

RKRGoat posted:

CHOMOLUNGMA HUNGERS

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Dude on twitter says high winds destroyed camp 4 at the South Col, he claims some teams are going down and some still back up.

quote:

#Everest C4 #SouthCol destroyed: wind. Most tents broken. Groups flee. Our team 1 survive bad nite in torn tents. Try summit 2nite.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
1 down 4 to go

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

That NOVA documentary posted earlier about monitoring the effects on the human body in the death zone was fantastic. Those guys are lucky to have survived, and they likely only did because they were respecting the situation and were doing things with a scientific mentality about their work instead of in a bucket list tourism kind of way (who am I kidding? One of them should have probably died up there. It's amazing he survived).

gohuskies posted:

Dude on twitter says high winds destroyed camp 4 at the South Col, he claims some teams are going down and some still back up.

That must be one hell of a lovely experience and I feel bad for those who are stuck in that situation. I wouldn't want that to happen to me. But that one reply tweet "Mother nature bless you and be with you" just stands out as a jarring disconnect from how deadly nature can be.

The destruction of Camp IV is a sign that this year should not be a summit year either. The mountain has been actively trying to throw people off for three years straight. Everest is where mother nature feasts upon the weak and foolhardy :unsmigghh:

The teams that have decided to continue up will not have a warm, unexposed camp to rest at on their way back down. If nobody dies of HACE/HAPE, there's a higher likelihood of severe frostbite from exposure.

I guess what I'm saying is let the feast continue.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

RKRGoat posted:

http://www.abenteuer-outdoor.eu/expeditionen/2016-tibet-everest/blog/

quote:

Vor drei Tagen gab bei der benachbarten britisch/kanadischen Expedition leider einen Todesfall. Ein 61jähriger Bergkamerad ist an Herzversagen gestorben.

Someone from a british/canadian expedition died from a heart attack on may 11th.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So does this officially count as one

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Alan Smithee posted:

So does this officially count as one

Were they on the mountain and above base camp? I think that's the criteria?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I thought base camp was fair game.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
anyone within the vicinity of the mountain with the reason being to climb/aid in climbing imo

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
My vote of One looking good

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Come on Everest, bet you can't eat just one!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

It can, close the climbing season imo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
One down, everyone else to go. :unsmigghh:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Mega64 posted:

One down, everyone else to go. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

http://www.abenteuer-outdoor.eu/expeditionen/2016-tibet-everest/blog/

Someone from a british/canadian expedition died from a heart attack on may 11th.

Also noteworthy from that same article:

quote:

Gestern war ich bei der 7 Summit Expedition zu Gast, was ich da zu sehen bekam, war schon Wahnsinn. Die Russen waren sehr herzlich und gastfreundlich und ließen mich ihren großzügigen Freizeitbereich mit Billardtisch, Tischtennisplatte, Liegestühlen, Fernseher usw. genießen."

"Yesterday I visited the 7 Summit Expedition, and what I saw was frankly amazing. The Russians were very friendly and hospitable and I was invited to enjoy their sizeable leisure area with pool table, ping pong table, deck chairs, TV etc."

Translation and bolding mine. Excrements in the snow all over the place, but hey at least they have a pool table.