Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Also mentions of returning to the Eels, must be planning to play for free or something

The US team has a player that is taking a break from the NFL to compete at the Olympics, nothing like this was mentioned.

Saul Goode posted:

Why? We were already under the cap this year until we had to pay back previous year's indiscretions, and we've since offloaded three high value players. Next year we should be easily able to get both Hayne and Norman.

I thought the point of offloading Peats, Morgan and Watmough was to get under the cap for 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Saul Goode posted:

Why? We were already under the cap this year

what?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I was triggered by the Roosters under pressure on their goal line deliberately conceding a penalty then jawing away with the ref for about 2 minutes until the Titans had no real choice but to shoot for goal.

gently caress's sake how are these refs so dumb?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Roosters are pretty good at ref manipulation

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Not great at defence, though.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Get hosed Roosters.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Our 25 man roster for 2016 was salary cap compliant - we had to pay arrears of ~$600K due to unreported historic illegal payments, so that penalty wasn't actually related to current contractual payments. Shedding Watmough, Peats and Morgan was the only way to make up the $600K halfway through the season, but it should have freed up plenty of cap space for 2017 - especially if we also don't renew Michael Gordon to make way for Hayne.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

Our 25 man roster for 2016 was salary cap compliant - we had to pay arrears of ~$600K due to unreported historic illegal payments, so that penalty wasn't actually related to current contractual payments. Shedding Watmough, Peats and Morgan was the only way to make up the $600K halfway through the season, but it should have freed up plenty of cap space for 2017 - especially if we also don't renew Michael Gordon to make way for Hayne.

I'm almost certain that's incorrect, do you have a link for them being under cap if not for a carryover penalty this year?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Get hosed Cunts.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm almost certain that's incorrect, do you have a link for them being under cap if not for a carryover penalty this year?

None of the media reports have been entirely clear, and most of them throw speculation into the middle of real numbers, but this statement has been repeated a few times over the past couple of weeks:

quote:

The Eels won't be able to begin accruing points until they are salary cap compliant, with the NRL adding $700,000 worth of third party agreements from the past three seasons into their salary cap for this year, leaving the Eels with $570,000 to shave off in four days.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...509-goproj.html

And then there's this with regards to freeing up space for 2017:

quote:

Parramatta are set to retain star playmaker Corey Norman on a $2 million three-year deal after clearing more than a $1 million in their salary cap for next season with the departures of Anthony Watmough, Nathan Peats and Ryan Morgan.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...513-goumhe.html

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

The sentences in bold indicate that the NRL ruled that the Eels were in breach of the 2016 cap.

http://www.nrl.com/parramatta-salary-cap-preliminary-findings/tabid/10871/newsid/95530/default.aspx

quote:

An investigation by the NRL's Integrity Unit has made preliminary findings that since at least 2013 the Parramatta Rugby League Club has been operating a system designed to enable it to exceed the salary cap without detection and give its team an unfair advantage.

The preliminary findings from the investigation include that a series of payments were either hidden from the NRL or misrepresented as suitable for exclusion from the salary cap and that these actions were taken with the knowledge and approval of various club Directors and senior executives.

As a result of these preliminary findings the NRL has today issued the Parramatta club with a breach notice proposing that:

- The club will be fined the maximum penalty of $1 million (with $250,000 suspended if the club accelerates the governance reforms recommended by PWC within a specified time frame)

- The Parramatta Eels will be docked all competition points accumulated so far this season while their team was in breach of the salary cap. The club will be able to begin accruing points as soon as it makes the necessary changes to comply with the 2016 cap.

- The club will be stripped of its Auckland Nines competition title won earlier this year

The NRL has also issued notices to three members of the Club's Board and two members of the Executive requiring them to show cause why their registrations should not be cancelled. They are Chairman Steve Sharp, Deputy Chairman Tom Issa, Director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and Football Manager Daniel Anderson.

The NRL stresses that these are preliminary findings and the club and officials will be given a reasonable time to respond to the proposed penalties.

The NRL will only make a final determination on whether the preliminary findings are justified and the proposed penalties once it has considered the responses of the club and the officials.

CEO Todd Greenberg said if the preliminary findings prove to be justified then serious sanctions will be required given the conduct and the club’s history of salary cap contraventions.

"As the governing body, we have a responsibility to act in the interests of the game for the long term," Mr Greenberg said.

"At times, it gives us no pleasure to have to do so and this is one of those. But we have to take a stand on behalf of the fans, the club and the game.

Mr Greenberg said the club had been fined for breaches of the salary cap rules in five of the last six years and now it had been exposed for operating a system designed to cheat the cap.

"We will need to take a stand on behalf of the fans, the club and the game," Mr Greenberg said.

"This would be a tough outcome for many people, particularly the players and fans, but we believe it would be the start of a process to make the Parramatta club the powerhouse it should be.

"Unfortunately, we may have to go through this pain for the long term health of the club and the game."

In broad terms, the Integrity Unit investigation has made preliminary findings that the Parramatta club breached the salary cap rules and code of conduct by:

- Paying players undisclosed remuneration from its own resources

- Procuring third party agreements for players in breach of the salary cap rules

- Conspiring with club suppliers to inflate or issue fictitious invoices to raise cash that was then relayed to players

Head of Integrity, Nick Weeks said the club and its registered officials had been given numerous opportunities to meet their obligations to come forward with details of any breaches but had not done so.

This was despite the fact the club appears to have been aware of some of the matters which have been reported to the NRL.

Mr Weeks said the NRL's Salary Cap Auditors estimated that the Parramatta Eels are currently around $570,000 over the salary cap.

Mr Weeks said the investigation was one of the most comprehensive ever conducted by the Integrity Unit.

More than 750,000 documents had been obtained and interviews had been conducted with Board members, football staff, club officials, former officials and other parties.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
None of that contradicts the statement about why they were over the cap for 2016 though?

quote:

...since at least 2013... a series of payments were either hidden from the NRL or misrepresented as suitable for exclusion from the salary cap

But anyway, the point I was making is that we have freed up over $1M for 2017 and if you add Michael Gordon's contract to the mix then there should be enough to bump Norman's deal up as well as get Hayne on ~$800K without the need for any conspiracy theories.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Are you taking into account that Norman wants 800K and has rejected the first eels offer or that you guys take on Jennings entire contract next year.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't know what the value of Jennings' contract disparity is so yeah, that could kill my dreams. But Norman should be OK, I think we offered him up to $600K (from his current $500K) while Watmough was still around, but we should be right to bump that up to $800K now.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
He would want to play for the eels so you have that in your favour. Like everything it just comes down to money.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

I don't know what the value of Jennings' contract disparity is so yeah, that could kill my dreams. But Norman should be OK, I think we offered him up to $600K (from his current $500K) while Watmough was still around, but we should be right to bump that up to $800K now.

Reminder that Mitchell loving Moses is looking for $1mil + (yeah I know looking is one thing, finding is another), while his slightly better version Luke Brooks is also on the market. Norman is easily the better player now and in the future so good luck even at $800k.

Interesting that Parra seem to have had a cap penalty applied to them this year for past breaches, why the gently caress wasn't that applied to Melbourne - spread over a few years to at least allow them to field a team? Melbourne still the only team to go unpunished for a serious cap breach.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Smorgasbord posted:

Melbourne still the only team to go unpunished for a serious cap breach.

do you mean in 2016, or in general?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Because, like Brisbane, the NRL doesn't really want to punish them so will do their utmost to avoid doing so.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

do you mean in 2016, or in general?

In terms of the proven large scale breaches in the salary cap era - Dogs, Warriors, Storm and now Eels. Does not include non addressed breaches like Roosters, Brisbane etc.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Smorgasbord posted:

In terms of the proven large scale breaches in the salary cap era - Dogs, Warriors, Storm and now Eels. Does not include non addressed breaches like Roosters, Brisbane etc.

you know they had their premierships stripped from them, right?
there is no way the Broncos are under the cap, but no one seems to care.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

you know they had their premierships stripped from them, right?

A kid not being allowed to keep the lollies they stole is not a punishment.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone in the football media still acts like Melbourne win a premiership that year as well

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

A kid not being allowed to keep the lollies they stole is not a punishment.

What do you mean? They had their premierships stripped, played the whole season for no points and unlike Canterbury were not allowed to renegotiate players' deals to get them back under the cap - they actually had to lose players. They lost Inglis and quite a few others and since then have made a team out of the big three who stayed and whatever unwanted journeymen Bellamy could shout into decent form.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for Melbourne but just for the life of me can't work out how you'd think they got off lightly.

Abalone Malone posted:

Really? I thought the 100 million in dodgy TPAs Alfie cooks up every Friday night with the luxury of a 7 day turnaround would mean we're miles under the cap. Seriously though there are a couple of teams which I reckon would have to be worth more than the Broncos on paper. Cowboys for a start.

ili fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 17, 2016

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Based on the scale of the cheating, Melbourne should have been kicked out of the competition. But because they're in a battleground city/state, the game couldn't afford to do that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Perhaps they should have forced then to wear a ridiculous colour scheme and a dumb name.

Wait a minute

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

Based on the scale of the cheating, Melbourne should have been kicked out of the competition. But because they're in a battleground city/state, the game couldn't afford to do that.

The Raiders breached the cap and won a premiership with an illegal team. The Warriors went over by more than 1 million, as did the Storm, with the Bulldogs cheating the cap by more than 2 million. Is it only the Storm who should have been kicked out?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

The Raiders breached the cap and won a premiership with an illegal team. The Warriors went over by more than 1 million, as did the Storm, with the Bulldogs cheating the cap by more than 2 million. Is it only the Storm who should have been kicked out?

Yeah,I'm not averse to giving extra penalties to a team that's a systematic cheat when they win several premierships as a direct result. Seems pretty fair.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

What do you mean? They had their premierships stripped, played the whole season for no points and unlike Canterbury were not allowed to renegotiate players' deals to get them back under the cap - they actually had to lose players. They lost Inglis and quite a few others and since then have made a team out of the big three who stayed and whatever unwanted journeymen Bellamy could shout into decent form.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for Melbourne but just for the life of me can't work out how you'd think they got off lightly.

The premierships gained from cheating were vacated - not a punishment just a nullification of the cheating. The players and fans still got those grand final wins and that's what really matters to them. This was just symbolic and most still gives them the credit for the wins regardless.

They were not allowed to earn points with an illegally formed roster. Again this is not a punishment, it's simply not allowing them to continue prospering from cheating. Renegotiating player deals midseason because you got caught cheating should never be allowed for both competitive reasons, and protection of players from unfair coercion.

They had to lose players? Cry me a river, they only managed to retain all those players because they were outrageously breaching the cap for years on end. Most other clubs had to make those hard calls years earlier in a player's development and they frequently get it wrong. Melbourne got to keep all the guys they wanted for those years without deciding between say Cronk & Inglis, ar 19 year old kid X or Y - they got to keep both and decide later. Look at what happened to Manly when they axed Glenn Stewart, basically ripped the players apart - Melbourne never had to do that.

What this meant is Melbourne were able to keep everyone happy and together. The players loved it - they were all taken care of, they were winning, they settled down in Melbourne and grew families and established themselves in the city. That's why they were all willing to stay even at a discount, they all benefited from that culture that was only able to be built by cheating. They still benefit from that effect today, people go there or stay there on a discount because they're a 'winning club', all built on cheating.

The Canterbury situation is a little fuzzy for me, if they were allowed to renegotiate deals then that's bullshit for the same reasons as above in terms of allowing them to leverage the 'winning culture' gained by cheating to keep those players. What I do know is that the Bulldogs had to operate under a reduced cap for multiple seasons after the breach, you know - an actual punishment that wiped away any continuing benefits of their cheating.

The Warriors also had cap reductions and points penalties for following years in their punishment - we copped it on the chin but I do think it''s worth noting that the Warriors breach was entirely self reported after the new ownership discovered what the previous regime had been up to.

In summary, gently caress Melbourne. They were not punished in any meaningful way, merely a nullification of the fruits of their cheating and a restriction on earning points with a ridiculously illegally constructed roster. After the end of that season they in fact continue to benefit from the legacy of their cheating yet their fans still bleat and moan incessantly.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

:qq:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

go storm go forever injured billy slater, 2x australia's greatest athlete

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Really? I thought the 100 million in dodgy TPAs Alfie cooks up every Friday night with the luxury of a 7 day turnaround would mean we're miles under the cap. Seriously though there are a couple of teams which I reckon would have to be worth more than the Broncos on paper. Cowboys for a start.

I would have thought the Warriors would have been suspect at the start of the season tbh, luckily they are very good at transforming star representative level players into garbage ones

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

I would have thought the Warriors would have been suspect at the start of the season tbh, luckily they are very good at transforming star representative level players into garbage ones

I think they're in a similar situation as us - they've got a bunch of locals who've come through their juniors and would rather stay for less than move away along with a high profile recruit in Luke who'd prefer to be with his family and play for a team he likes instead of being worked to death by a bonehead coach for a team on the slide.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

The Warriors breach was $1m over two seasons, and was self reported. The Storm were $1m over the year before and the year in which they got busted, with two years of breaches before that and a forecast of another $1m+ breach the following season. None of the rorts before or after are anywhere the same scale, although the Dogs might have had a chance if allowed to continue for longer. Parramatta's is a combination of incompetence and arrogance- even when presented when a get out of jail free card they still hosed up.

ili posted:

I think they're in a similar situation as us - they've got a bunch of locals who've come through their juniors and would rather stay for less than move away along with a high profile recruit in Luke who'd prefer to be with his family and play for a team he likes instead of being worked to death by a bonehead coach for a team on the slide.

We definitely have a few guys taking hometown discounts- Johnson, Mannering and Matulino are in that category, plus Luke took a discount to come home. Given that we have to pay overs to get good Australian talent (and I use that term loosely), I have no problem with this. The other thing to consider is that we have only been spending up to the cap in the past two or three seasons, before then we were well under the cap.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The salary cap means gently caress all when a team like the Roosters can get 2.5million in TPA's

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

The Warriors breach was $1m over two seasons, and was self reported. The Storm were $1m over the year before and the year in which they got busted, with two years of breaches before that and a forecast of another $1m+ breach the following season. None of the rorts before or after are anywhere the same scale, although the Dogs might have had a chance if allowed to continue for longer. Parramatta's is a combination of incompetence and arrogance- even when presented when a get out of jail free card they still hosed up.

Parra's is on the same scale as the Storm, $3m over 4 years according to this fox sports article, and the transcripts make it sound like they started pretty small in the first year and then really ramped things up. It's well worth a click, as you say the combination of incompetence and arrogance is just staggering. No wonder the NRL wants these guys banned for life, no way would I want anyone stupid enough to tape themselves discussing details of their fraud schemes and then document them in board meeting minutes anywhere near my organisation. They even mention that they shouldn't be discussing these things on tape as it's all meant to be at arm's length and could get them all into serious trouble, then continue on anyway. It's jaw-droppingly dumb even by rugby league's pathetically low standards.

ili fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 18, 2016

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
http://nrlrookie.com/

I am completely confident this will end well

quote:

As the show progresses the number of Rookies will be reduced on a weekly basis and will culminate with the winning Rookie being awarded a professional contract with an NRL Club.

A guaranteed NRL contract, it's the greatest prize in Australian sport!

aejix fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 18, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

*a guaranteed contact with whatever nrl team has the most space under the cap

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

iajanus posted:

*a guaranteed contact with whatever nrl team has the most space under the cap

My guess is Easts

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Channel 7 posted a leaked (?) lineup for NSW:

Team
1 Matt Moylan
2 Josh Mansour
3 Michael Jennings
4 Josh Dugan
5 Blake Ferguson
6 James Maloney
7 Adam Reynolds/Mitchell Pearce
8 Paul Gallen
9 Robbie Farah
10 Aaron Woods
11 Boyd Cordner
12 Josh Jackson
13 Greg Bird
14 Jack Bird/Tyrone Peachey
15 David Klemmer
16 James Tamou
17 Bryce Cartwright/Tyson Frizell

Better than last year (which isn't saying a lot) but the cruiser edge is demonstrably poo poo and will get trod on for 80 minutes by Inglis/Oates. Josh Jackson is not an origin level player, no Fifita or Roberts, Moylan is a poor mans Coote (but still good), Pearce is still somehow in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like it

• Locked thread