Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

But seriously, a full "The Weekend"-esque episode that's basically just Root snuggling Shaw for an hour and maybe getting up to make her pancakes would be bad storytelling, right?

Yeah. Definitely bad storytelling.

We'd all watch and love it though, and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I think the biggest thing to take away from this episode is Samaritan ships Root and Shaw too :haw:

This. :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I guess I'll spoiler this Actually, I think Samaritan isn't running a simulation on Shaw it's using Shaw to test it's weaknesses the Primary Asset, its agents, etc... if it leads to the machine great. Otherwise its just testing itself. Also that sex scene was loving awful. Lol they just grab each other and roll around is that what Samaritan imagines sex like?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 17, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, I called the twist fairly early on just because the writing just felt so goddamn wrong. Plus the lack of writing and I didn't even think of the apartment at first because I was so caught up in RootxShaw (ON NETWORK TELEVISION).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Man, Person of Interest. I wonder how it's been since I stopped watching." :stare:

Interesting episode to come back to.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bruceski posted:

"Man, Person of Interest. I wonder how it's been since I stopped watching." :stare:

Interesting episode to come back to.

now catch up!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Why would you ever leave? It's probably one of the better shows on TV.

Seriously, I knew something was up when they got busy cause that was just so loving weird looking.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm just glad the Nancy Drew show wasn't picked up, leaving Sarah Shahi free to appear in season 6 of this great show. :)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Argue posted:

I'm just glad the Nancy Drew show wasn't picked up, leaving Sarah Shahi free to appear in season 6 of this great show. :)

Yeah, buddy, I have some bad news...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Why would you ever leave? It's probably one of the better shows on TV.

Seriously, I knew something was up when they got busy cause that was just so loving weird looking.

I tend to watch things broadcast, and at some point it just fell off my schedule. I think it was end of season 3. No idea why, I think my lead-in show may have moved so that day changed into a "no TV" evening.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bruceski posted:

I tend to watch things broadcast, and at some point it just fell off my schedule. I think it was end of season 3. No idea why, I think my lead-in show may have moved so that day changed into a "no TV" evening.

s3 and 4 are entirely on netflix if you feel like rejoining the fold.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Was it just me or was Bear the wrong breed just to further hint at the episode twist?

I couldn't tell because of weird angles, short scene time, and awkward/hot rootxshaw totally made me forget everything else.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, I called the twist fairly early on just because the writing just felt so goddamn wrong. Plus the lack of writing and I didn't even think of the apartment at first because I was so caught up in RootxShaw (ON NETWORK TELEVISION).

Hollismason posted:

I guess I'll spoiler this Actually, I think Samaritan isn't running a simulation on Shaw it's using Shaw to test it's weaknesses the Primary Asset, its agents, etc... if it leads to the machine great. Otherwise its just testing itself. Also that sex scene was loving awful. Lol they just grab each other and roll around is that what Samaritan imagines sex like?

This is kind of a neat idea but I think that Shaw and John are so good at violence that it can't really learn to stop them. I can't help but think of how some athletes are so good at their sport that they can't really coach nearly as well as they can play. They have such a level of raw talent and honed skill that Samaritan can't really teach the operatives how to deal with them, short of finding another Martine. Especially in that limited situation. Unfortuntely even if Samaritan tried using Shaw to run simulations of how Team Machine would try to counter it's operations, I can't help but feel it would be like the simplified version from If Then Else, where they would get a heads up from the Machine about the operation and Finch and Shaw would just have some vague placeholder lines of technobabble and Shaw and John's attack plan would be totally based on whatever defenses Samaritan deployed, so even if it built a tactic to counter their original plan, their eventual plan would change based on that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Unspoilered because it's aired.

I figured the repetition and lack of, "You're fine, everything's okay, let's go to your hidden base," is that it's simultaneously trying to learn where the base is and conditioning Shaw for a 'search and destroy' op. She might not remember each iteration but it's going to alter her personality and emotional character. Hebbian learning. 'Neurons that fire together, wire together.' Those activation patterns associated with 'is worn down' and 'is thinking about giving up' are activated and reinforced with every loop.

This also implies she's baller as gently caress for having been through this many iterations of the program without compromising.

Edit: How many days is each loop, anyways? After 6,704 iterations, each in-program day represents 18 years, 5 months and 14 days :stare: (not accounting for leap years)

This is some evil Groundhog Day poo poo.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 17, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The one part I don't get is why it showed scenes is Samaritan scanning for Shaw and Greer. It wouldn't have to do that in its own simulation, that had no reason to exist other than to fool the viewer?

Hollismason posted:

And broken dishes, lots of broken dishes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 17, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's so cool, rewatching the episode, and seeing how it gets increasingly more desperate and urgent about trying to convince Shaw to go to the Machine. Things like Harold being dense enough to plug the USB right into something in their base, having an injured Root show up way too fast and tell Shaw to lead the way for no reason, every character insisting constantly that Shaw go to safety right now it's of utmost importance.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

And the fact that they did brain surgery on her in a moving subway car(???) instead of at least going to their usual dodgy off-the-books doctor.

The episode says just as much about Shaw though, and her belief that the team doesn't care about her, and her paranoia over how they see her.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Samaritan's versions of Reese and Finch are just perfectly off but still in character. It really is a clever script with some fantastic acting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think my favorite thing about the simulation is that it actually incorporated "yeah, we totally brainwashed you BUT YOU JUST BROKE FREE BECAUSE YOU'RE THAT TOUGH" into its narrative when, in fact, she is that tough.

Yeah, the twist was pretty obvious early on, though everything was played ambiguous enough that you weren't necessarily sure. (The thing I noticed straight away was the way Shaw's surgical scar migrated to either side of her neck, though of course Samaritan had just insisted she be given a second chip. But then she never seemed to have two scars.) But as folks have said, I didn't mind that, since the point was never a shock reveal that this is all a simulation, the point is that Shaw has been going through this poo poo for like a year and she hasn't given in yet.

It also does explain all the little comments they were dropping in last year's finale about how Shaw had told them exactly how Root would try to rescue her. Shaw didn't tell them a drat thing, but they probably ran simulations of a team rescue attempt, and took notes of which tactics Shaw's brain didn't just reject with a LOL NO.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think one of the more telling ways that Finch was off was him referring to Samaritan as a god. I also liked Lambert referring to Team Machine as the Machine's acolytes. Both of those things are things Greer says. I forget what Lambert called them when he gave the meeting invite to Root, but I'm reasonably sure it wasn't acolyte.

I guess Samaritan thinks Greer is an example of how people see AIs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did this episode take place in the past? I thought Shaw showed up in S4 in one of Decima's vans. I forget the circumstances, but does it line up with the possibility that she's the one who sniped Elias and Dominic?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Did this episode take place in the past? I thought Shaw showed up in S4 in one of Decima's vans. I forget the circumstances, but does it line up with the possibility that she's the one who sniped Elias and Dominic?

I remember them saying they'd written this episode so it could be dropped in pretty much anywhere this season, but I think it was set more-or-less present-day. They did make a reference to the Machine having been compressed early on, I believe.

We did indeed see Shaw in a van at the end of S4, but the circumstances were left very ambiguous (and carefully filmed because this would presumably have been around the time that Sarah Shahi was very very pregnant). I think given what we know from this episode, the implication is that they just had her drugged to the gills for transport.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think so. They didn't make it ambiguous who shot them, it was just some dude from Samaritan.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Assassin most people assumed was shaw was the one who killed controls goons, not the elias/dominic sniper, because when the camera pans away from a dead schiffman we see the outline of shaw's peacoat.

I choose to believe they were simply moving her to another sim facility while she was drugged to poo poo or completely out of it. I also figure the phone call Shaw makes to Root at the start of 4x21 is a voice clip from a failed simulation.

On another note, tonight is the only night the american viewers won't have to worry about Canadian early spoilers as Canada is getting the ep tomorrow.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reese didn't have his Reese-isms was the biggest tip off for me. I am liking Reese so much this season that it was impossible to miss. There were plenty of other clues but Reese :love:. Reese when shot had a really bad looking almost comical blood stain on his front like he smeared tomato sauce on himself.

Root might be adorable crazy, but Shaw is Axe CRazY. She was rocking it like Sarah Conner.

Greer dying was a real treat and that line at the end was a bit of magic.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 17, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

I also figure the phone call Shaw makes to Root at the start of 4x21 is a voice clip from a failed simulation.

Yeah, putting together a custom recording of Shaw's voice would be trivial for Samaritan.

The Machine's been shown as being capable of doing it too. I want to say when it moved itself out of its original storage facility, it gave verbal authorizations that seemed to come from that Special Counsel dude who was Control's predecessor in the government.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Samaritan's versions of Reese and Finch are just perfectly off but still in character. It really is a clever script with some fantastic acting.

Samaritan's also recycling assets like a video game as you see the exact same people appear in front and behind in the crowd around Shaw after she shoots Reese.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

CeeJee posted:

Samaritan's also recycling assets like a video game as you see the exact same people appear in front and behind in the crowd around Shaw after she shoots Reese.

I went into the episode spoiled, and so was looking for this kind of thing and apparently I STILL need a second viewing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

docbeard posted:

(The thing I noticed straight away was the way Shaw's surgical scar migrated to either side of her neck, though of course Samaritan had just insisted she be given a second chip. But then she never seemed to have two scars.)

I noticed that too, then realized she was looking in the mirror at that time and they were showing us the mirror-shot.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
We know Samaritan is truly evil because Fusco didn't make out with anyone in the simulation.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

raditts posted:

The one part I don't get is why it showed scenes is Samaritan scanning for Shaw and Greer. It wouldn't have to do that in its own simulation, that had no reason to exist other than to fool the viewer?

I figured it was a manifestation of Shaw's being convinced that Samaritan was hunting her, or perhaps Samaritan planting subconsciously into Shaw the idea that it was hunting her.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sheeeeeit Elias' money man back in town looking for answers.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This is one hell of a way to show Samaritan loving with the general populace.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I never stopped believing, you can't keep motherfucking Elias down!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

THATS WHY THE SAFEHOUSE WAS COMPROMISED AAAAAAAAAA THIS RULES.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Please pan out with a yellow frame around Elias.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

THATS WHY THE SAFEHOUSE WAS COMPROMISED AAAAAAAAAA THIS RULES.

Wait, what?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

Wait, what?

in 5x3 they offhandedly mention the safehouse not being a place they can just take the guy being hunted by the CIA but don't explain why.

this was why.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
IM SO HAPPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He remains unconquered, motherfuckers.

• Locked thread