Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

could anyone run me through what the upgrade process is like with the Jump Plan? I'm planning on trading in my iPhone 6 for the SE asap

just wanted to know if theres any other fees besides the sales tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Activation fee

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

could anyone run me through what the upgrade process is like with the Jump Plan? I'm planning on trading in my iPhone 6 for the SE asap

just wanted to know if theres any other fees besides the sales tax

It's easy. Go to a store, let them know you want to jump to whatever phone you want. Trade in your 6s and pay the sales tax. It's that easy. To make it go faster back up your phone before you go in, turn off find my iPhone and wipe your 6s.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is there gonna be preordering through t-mobile for it?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

heads up: if you're going for the iPhone SE, preorders are now open

you'll have to call customer service for it though, its not up on the website

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I just got a international S7 Edge (first Samsung phone). Is it supposed to say 4G or LTE when my data is active? I've been getting lovely speed compared to my Nexus 5 and can't figure out if it's the phone or congestion/outage in my area.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Eddain posted:

I just got a international S7 Edge (first Samsung phone). Is it supposed to say 4G or LTE when my data is active? I've been getting lovely speed compared to my Nexus 5 and can't figure out if it's the phone or congestion/outage in my area.

If it just says 4G and not LTE, its possible you are only connecting to HSPA+

Did you notify T-mobile about your change in device? Sometimes it's just the act of provisioning that will fix the problem.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

If it just says 4G and not LTE, its possible you are only connecting to HSPA+

Did you notify T-mobile about your change in device? Sometimes it's just the act of provisioning that will fix the problem.

I think it's just my area being lovely. I tested my speeds around 4am and it was blazing fast, then in the morning it was poo poo again. At work my speed was a lot better, and when I walked into the bathroom I saw my 4G drop to H+, so I don't think 4G = HSPA+.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Apparently Canada/Mexico doesn't count as roaming, and international data doesn't cause a huge overage, they simply reduce the speed if needed (Verizon is on edge mode when I went to France/UK anyways, so probably not much difference there).

Brock Landers posted:

Music Freedom works even on the $30 prepaid "Nerd" plan. Also you don't get the international roaming except canada and Mexico.

Can someone drop some knowledge as to where it says what T-Mobile on the $30 plan entails insofar as Mexico is concerned? Heading down there next week and getting mixed "Needs to be a Simple Choice plan" and "$30 plan is fine" messages from around the Internet.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2016

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I think you need Simple Choice for Mexico.

Side note, was just in Mexico and T-Mobile doesn't seem to institute their 128kbps throttling there. I consistently got 20+ mbit there and could stream Netflix easily. Are they not capping roaming in North America now or something? I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

tonic posted:

Side note, was just in Mexico and T-Mobile doesn't seem to institute their 128kbps throttling there. I consistently got 20+ mbit there and could stream Netflix easily. Are they not capping roaming in North America now or something? I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

That's been the case since they introduced Mobile Without Borders a while back.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

tonic posted:

You can also tack on Canada and Mexico for $5 on Simply Prepaid plans that cost $40 and up. That would exclude the Nerd Plan unfortunately. Never hurts to call and ask though. T mobile has been known to bend the rules on some of these things.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Apparently the G5 is being pushed to the first for the release date because of "a problem with the phone". I have no idea what problem it was, the rep couldn't elaborate. Anyone know what the problem was?

Nice
Apr 26, 2004

Maybe not so Nice.
T-Mobile expands BOGO offer with iPhone SE

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

If you have JUMP does that work at the Apple store too or only at Tmo?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
When you tether, do binged services use your data allowance?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

When you tether, do binged services use your data allowance?

They do not.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
You can now sign up for MLB.TV for free

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/mlb.html?error=NOT_ON_NETWORK

Turn off your Wifi and go to that site. You have a WEEK to do it this year.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Just signed up. It's the full sub...$109 value. You can watch on a computer as well. This $30 Walmart plan is the gift that keeps on giving!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Astro7x posted:

I also signed up - as an unemployed college student, this is very welcome entertainment!

Thank you!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is free international roaming still a thing? Thinking about turning that plan on for a trip to Mexico if so (I'm on $40 prepaid 3GB plan now)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

dexter6 posted:

Is free international roaming still a thing? Thinking about turning that plan on for a trip to Mexico if so (I'm on $40 prepaid 3GB plan now)

Free unlimited texting and slow data in many countries. I’m sure there’s a list. I was in France and England recently and it worked fine in both countries. Internet was fast enough for maps to route (once the tiles had downloaded), and I could call Ubers without issue.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Switch to one of the non Simply Prepaid plans and regular simple choice north america plans ($50 for 2 GB, $65 for 6GB, $80 for 10GB, or $95 for Unlimited) and get calling, fast data, and texting at no extra charge in Mexico and Canada.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
T-Mobile has some limited time "Spring Break" promotion for 2 lines. 6GB of data each for $80.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/unlimited-data-story.html

I'm currently paying $90 for two lines for 1GB and 3GB each. This seems like a no brainer

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Possibly a dumb question. I had to manually enter in the APN settings on my fiances phone to get it to work on t-mobile. When we go oversees, would that cause any issues with connecting to t-mobiles free international roaming?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Brock Landers posted:

You can also tack on Canada and Mexico for $5 on Simply Prepaid plans that cost $40 and up. That would exclude the Nerd Plan unfortunately. Never hurts to call and ask though. T mobile has been known to bend the rules on some of these things.

Just to chime in with my experience, I couldn't get an operator in five tries that'd add it - they'd see the Wal-Mart plan pop up and they were all like noooooooooooooooope. But, who knows!

My wife has grown weary of the 100min limits of the $30/mo plan, so I'm going to change her to the $40 prepaid - am I going to have to get a new SIM for that? Also, what's the difference between Music Freedom (for post-paid) and Music Unlimited (for pre-paid), other than "name?"

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Deathlove posted:

Just to chime in with my experience, I couldn't get an operator in five tries that'd add it - they'd see the Wal-Mart plan pop up and they were all like noooooooooooooooope. But, who knows!

My wife has grown weary of the 100min limits of the $30/mo plan, so I'm going to change her to the $40 prepaid - am I going to have to get a new SIM for that? Also, what's the difference between Music Freedom (for post-paid) and Music Unlimited (for pre-paid), other than "name?"

I switched from the nerd plan to the $40 plan on the website. No new sim. Music unlimited and music freedom are effectively the same thing. Music doesn't count against your data.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm looking at T-Mobile's prepaid internet plans and I see 2GB for $20/month. However, it also says "Unlimited data" all over the page except in the fine print it says data will be slowed to 2G speed after LTE data is used.

However, I just need enough bandwidth for server maintenance (SSH, maybe RDP) so I think 2G would be fine.

Am I correct in my understanding? Is it really $20/month for unlimited 2G data even with a hotspot?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
nm

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

I'm looking at T-Mobile's prepaid internet plans and I see 2GB for $20/month. However, it also says "Unlimited data" all over the page except in the fine print it says data will be slowed to 2G speed after LTE data is used.

However, I just need enough bandwidth for server maintenance (SSH, maybe RDP) so I think 2G would be fine.

Am I correct in my understanding? Is it really $20/month for unlimited 2G data even with a hotspot?

only high speed data can be used for hotspot-- once you burn that up you'll have to buy more to keep using it.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

bobfather posted:

Free unlimited texting and slow data in many countries. I’m sure there’s a list. I was in France and England recently and it worked fine in both countries. Internet was fast enough for maps to route (once the tiles had downloaded), and I could call Ubers without issue.

I'm using this in Germany right now and yeah, it's pretty drat slow. Don't expect to video chat or use YouTube, but email, texting, etc still work. It sucks that there are T-Mobile wifi hotspots all over, but they charge extra for that.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm on T-Mobile Simple Choice North America right now. I want to change my phone's number, but I want to keep the old one around for a while. It looks like the best way to do that is to transfer the current number to Google Voice. How can I do that without canceling my service?

Current setup:
T-Mobile has a 415 number, Google Voice has a 424 number (which I don't mind losing)

Desired setup:
T-Mobile has a 808 number, Google Voice (or another similar service, which can forward calls and texts) has the 415 number.

What's the best way to get there from here?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

inklesspen posted:

I'm on T-Mobile Simple Choice North America right now. I want to change my phone's number, but I want to keep the old one around for a while. It looks like the best way to do that is to transfer the current number to Google Voice. How can I do that without canceling my service?

Current setup:
T-Mobile has a 415 number, Google Voice has a 424 number (which I don't mind losing)

Desired setup:
T-Mobile has a 808 number, Google Voice (or another similar service, which can forward calls and texts) has the 415 number.

What's the best way to get there from here?

I think you're going to have to "cancel" in a roundabout way. Add a second line with the 808 number, then port out and cancel the first line.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I think you're going to have to "cancel" in a roundabout way. Add a second line with the 808 number, then port out and cancel the first line.

This is the way to go about it though if you are on a grandfathered rate plan you will lose it. Also make sure they add it as a single line and don't move you to a family plan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can I use an unlocked, European iPhone 6 on MetroPCS? Their site seemed very vague about it when I checked and didn't include the 6 in their list of phones. I'm presuming they're not awful down here in S Florida as I see franchises everywhere, and I just want a few months off contract before I get a 7.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can I use an unlocked, European iPhone 6 on MetroPCS? Their site seemed very vague about it when I checked and didn't include the 6 in their list of phones. I'm presuming they're not awful down here in S Florida as I see franchises everywhere, and I just want a few months off contract before I get a 7.

According to Apple's website it supports all of T-Mobile's bands except LTE band 12. That will limit your coverage indoors and in rural areas, you can set the coverage map on T-Mobile's site to exclude band 12 (click "Choose Device" and then select "my device is not in the list") which should give you an idea of the difference. I personally have an older device without band 12 myself and I don't have any converge issues, but as always YMMV. From what I've heard T-Mobile's coverage in Florida is very good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rad, so everything that applies to T-Mobile applies to MPCS yeah? There was a similar takeover back home, but I don't know if they share equipment yet. Thanks for checking that, sounds like a go if it's clear down here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
New apps whitelisted for data on BingeOn

Crunchyroll
Google Play Music
Great Big Story
NBC
Kiswe
Ligonier Ministries
NOGGIN
Qello Concerts
Radio Disney
Univision
Univision Noticias
Spotify
TIDAL
Toon Goggles

Your music apps like Spotify and Tidal now whitelist any music videos in them.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rad, so everything that applies to T-Mobile applies to MPCS yeah? There was a similar takeover back home, but I don't know if they share equipment yet. Thanks for checking that, sounds like a go if it's clear down here.

Yeah, T-Mobile shut down the last vestiges of the legacy MetroPCS network last year. The only major difference between (postpaid) T-Mobile and MetroPCS service is that you won't get data service in "partner" areas (just like with all of T-Mobile's other prepaid brands).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Postpaid T-Mobile also has one great feature - free (slow) data and texting in tons of different non-US countries. I travel quite a bit so I use this feature extensively, and it's not available on Metro.