Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

sound design

Between this and Black Sails I'm so jealous

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Telamon posted:

Holy crap. Bring the Black Sails thread over here then. That was some amazing work on that storm episode especially.

I hope you contribute that energy to knock Mr. Robot out of the park.

Cheers. Thanks

Analytic Engine posted:

Do you get to pick music? It'll be hard to beat Maxence Cyrin's version of "Where is my Mind" in the S1 climax

No. music is elsewhere.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Between this and Black Sails I'm so jealous

Its a dream, for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen USA running generic trailers for this again, does that mean a start date isn't a million miles away?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

Do you get to pick music? It'll be hard to beat Maxence Cyrin's version of "Where is my Mind" in the S1 climax

Don't you think it was a bit loud though? I know they wanted to hammer home the message, but still. Other music earlier on was too loud as it drowned out the dialogue.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've seen USA running generic trailers for this again, does that mean a start date isn't a million miles away?

Rumoured start is still June/July.
I'm stoked.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

You should replace the sound of footsteps with cats meowing angrily so it sounds like everyone is walking on cats

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

You should replace the sound of footsteps with cats meowing angrily so it sounds like everyone is walking on cats

I hate it when shows pussy-foot around.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Collateral posted:

Don't you think it was a bit loud though? I know they wanted to hammer home the message, but still. Other music earlier on was too loud as it drowned out the dialogue.

I like the loud soundtrack. IMO, if the show is from Elliot's perspective - which it is - it makes sense that the music is sometimes too loud and drowns everything out.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Skizzzer posted:

I like the loud soundtrack. IMO, if the show is from Elliot's perspective - which it is - it makes sense that the music is sometimes too loud and drowns everything out.

I feel like yes that's valid but also I want to understand the dialog without my neighbours pounding on the wall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joebob posted:

I feel like yes that's valid but also I want to understand the dialog without my neighbours pounding on the wall.

Captions?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just got an email from mr. robot called "restart" opened it on my phone.

Kind of a dick move mr. Robot

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Just got an email from mr. robot called "restart" opened it on my phone.

Kind of a dick move mr. Robot

Why? I haven't gone through all of it, but I didn't see anything particularly dick-ish.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
idk I don't think it's intended cause it works fine on my computer but using my g4 and chrome it reboots after displaying some text.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Works fine on my iPhone 6S.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Khablam posted:

Rumoured start is still June/July.
I'm stoked.

Officially July 13th premiere.

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/722863492747792385

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just blew through this show over the last few days and I'm sad that I didn't catch this sooner.

I like how it plays with your expectations. I saw the twist of Mr. Robot being a figment of Eliot's imagination coming from like, episode 3. I didn't expect it to go where it did with that though, which was pleasantly surprising.

Really, this season reminded me of the first season of Homeland. It wasn't afraid to move the plot along at an aggressive pace. I actually like the decision to just have the hack go through in between two episodes and just jumping to the fallout.

Max fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 27, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I genuinely believe the Fight Club esque twist is essentially there so you totally don't see the sister thing coming. The show played us for fools.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I genuinely believe the Fight Club esque twist is essentially there so you totally don't see the sister thing coming. The show played us for fools.

Speak for yourself. :smug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

The show expects you to guess that particular twist, which is why you get that scene with Elliot breaking the 4th wall by grabbing the camera and asking if YOU knew about this too - it had been speculated from early on and they knew it would be.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibylhkLwGo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This trailer has me so hype. The show looks like it hasn't missed a step and will be as much of a mindfuck as ever :allears:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh boy oh boy. This looks like it's gonna be really good.

For some reason part of me is still waiting for this show to turn to poo poo, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Do they have to pay Obama to use his voice like that in the trailer?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I was wondering if that was actually him, or a good voice impersonator.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I want to dig it up because it was an amazing goon project. Someone extracted almost every individual word from Obama's autobiography and turned it into a creation myth. You can get people to say anything with enough vocal examples.

It was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Any38uNUelM

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CloFan posted:

I was wondering if that was actually him, or a good voice impersonator.

There's a longer version. It's pretty drat good. They must have gone through a shitton of footage.:
http://www.whoismrrobot.com/fivenine/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Max posted:

I want to dig it up because it was an amazing goon project. Someone extracted almost every individual word from Obama's autobiography and turned it into a creation myth. You can get people to say anything with enough vocal examples.

It was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Any38uNUelM

Holy poo poo. This, combined with this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmajJTcpNk)... just imagine the implications

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Obama took 5 minutes out of his day to throw down a quick vocal track for the show, since he does do media appearances and is fairly down for that. But it's also entirely possible that it's fake and the show runners created it themselves, either through vocal manipulation or just a really good impersonator.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this season. So much of last season was built upon playing with the viewers expectations about where they thought the story was going. Now that it went there, I wonder what else it has planned. The show runners seem smart enough to make something really interesting.

Edit: Watching that extended Obama trailer, it does actually look like they used that face rigging software and just extracted different vocal clips from other speeches.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In a shocking twist, season 2 will be much happier than season 1. https://twitter.com/ItsRamiMalek/status/733072033458868224?s=01

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Max posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Obama took 5 minutes out of his day to throw down a quick vocal track for the show, since he does do media appearances and is fairly down for that. But it's also entirely possible that it's fake and the show runners created it themselves, either through vocal manipulation or just a really good impersonator.

was actually wondering the same thing all day before I checked here. It wouldn't be the first time a politician has done something similar. Hell, Hillary Clinton is actually guest starring in Broad City later this summer I believe. I could see it happening!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Iron Rose posted:

was actually wondering the same thing all day before I checked here. It wouldn't be the first time a politician has done something similar. Hell, Hillary Clinton is actually guest starring in Broad City later this summer I believe. I could see it happening!

Her appearance was earlier this year, and it pretty much destroyed the BC thread.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Her appearance was earlier this year, and it pretty much destroyed the BC thread.

I actually looked it up, saw that the cameo had already happened, and immediately went to go see the meltdown(s). Talk about comedy gold :laffo:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The vice sounds very slightly off. It's not him buy someone that sounds very much like him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GutBomb posted:

The vice sounds very slightly off. It's not him buy someone that sounds very much like him.

I agree it sounds off, but I think it's because they just sampled a bunch of different audio clips and strung them together.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Hilary Clinton is not a president yet though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Max posted:

I agree it sounds off, but I think it's because they just sampled a bunch of different audio clips and strung them together.

From what tape did they splice together the fictional character's name?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm saying this as someone that edits audio, you can find fragments and make a word if you are industrious, or just get someone to do an impersonation and add enough filters to sound right for that one word. But the rest of his speech definitely has the hallmarks of being multiple audio sources spliced together. Or they found an audio clip of him mentioning a real life person who happens to have the same last name. There are many possibilities.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Hilary Clinton is not a president yet though.

I didn't say president? I just said a politician.

It'd actually be an interesting thing to examine, political figures guest starring. I know Dick Cheney had a brief spot on 24, and didn't Condi come on for an episode of 30 rock? What other examples are there of well known political figures guest starring in (non-political, so excluding Samantha Bee/The Daily SHow) TV shows and movies? Just out of curiosity.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

There's a longer version. It's pretty drat good. They must have gone through a shitton of footage.:
http://www.whoismrrobot.com/fivenine/
In case you were wondering which speech they took this from, it's the 2014 Sony hack:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/12/19/remarks-president-year-end-press-conference

Obama's Real Quote posted:

The FBI announced today and we can confirm that North Korea engaged in this attack. I think it says something interesting about North Korea that they decided to have the state mount an all-out assault on a movie studio because of a satirical movie starring Seth Rogen and James Flacco [Franco]. (Laughter.) I love Seth and I love James, but the notion that that was a threat to them I think gives you some sense of the kind of regime we’re talking about here.

They caused a lot of damage, and we will respond. We will respond proportionally, and we’ll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose. It’s not something that I will announce here today at a press conference.

More broadly, though, this points to the need for us to work with the international community to start setting up some very clear rules of the road in terms of how the Internet and cyber operates. Right now, it’s sort of the Wild West. And part of the problem is, is you’ve got weak states that can engage in these kinds of attacks, you’ve got non-state actors that can do enormous damage. That’s part of what makes this issue of cybersecurity so urgent.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

I didn't say president? I just said a politician.

It'd actually be an interesting thing to examine, political figures guest starring. I know Dick Cheney had a brief spot on 24, and didn't Condi come on for an episode of 30 rock? What other examples are there of well known political figures guest starring in (non-political, so excluding Samantha Bee/The Daily SHow) TV shows and movies? Just out of curiosity.

Joe Biden and John McCain both were on Parks and Rec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
For pretty excellent cameos in both cases.

• Locked thread