Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:justpost: Finally caught up. So nothing ever came of the allegation that Lando was about to be terminated, eh?

e: oh poo poo snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So for a couple months now I've sent emails and support tickets to customer service asking for any kind of explanation for my 10 year ban. And I've gotten nothing but the robot confirmations that they received the message.

Do you think they simply ignore customers who have been deemed "bad"?

I wonder if there's a list of names that are on a CS ignore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
All hail Lord Voldermort Smart!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
My liege, the 6 twitter accounts I have set up and run under the radar for months have paid off! The fools believe that your are being targeted by obnoxious, fanatical zealots of the Roberts enterprise!

If only they kew it was all a ruse to get other twitter accountd banned for lovely behaviour. Haha! Hahahahah! Aaaahahahahahahahaha!

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My liege, the 6 twitter accounts I have set up and run under the radar for months have paid off! The fools believe that your are being targeted by obnoxious, fanatical zealots of the Roberts enterprise!

If only they kew it was all a ruse to get other twitter accountd banned for lovely behaviour. Haha! Hahahahah! Aaaahahahahahahahaha!

Time to enter phase 2

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

I seriously can't tell what the gently caress the problem is. Are their artists so incompetent they can't model a female body/face? (looking at that leaked asset video some fans made, I'd be tempted to say yes actually)

What the hell is the official explanation regarding no females? I know it isn't that hard to make a new rig, animations shouldn't be an issue because they spent millions of dollars on that mo-cap poo poo, so what gives?

Its the ammount of work needed.

If you just put a female mesh on a "male" animated skeleton you are heading straight to the uncanny valley. The viewer (be it a he or a she) immediately realize something is "wrong" even if he cant put it in words. All those long animations where you get out of cockpit, wake up, go in a chair ? Have to re-do them or adjust them by hand.

They also have a problem with the "camera behind your eyes" idea they painted themselves in, since on average females are shorter than men, it mean your default cockpit view with a female skeleton would be 4-6' lower than the current (original, male skeleton) view. Meaning you either have un-fidelicious "floaty models" when the female skeleton sits or you have them view nothing but dashboard in most ships.

And before you say "Adjusting the view for the character model should be simple !" this is CIG we are talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tmk_zlJAQ

This is also the reason why the less cartoon looking MMO now do "gender lock" on class, as it save them having to do two animations set for every move the class use.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

So for a couple months now I've sent emails and support tickets to customer service asking for any kind of explanation for my 10 year ban. And I've gotten nothing but the robot confirmations that they received the message.

Do you think they simply ignore customers who have been deemed "bad"?

I wonder if there's a list of names that are on a CS ignore.

There is - it's this thread.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

We have all been branded lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

EminusSleepus posted:

We have all been branded lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KiddieGrinder posted:

I seriously can't tell what the gently caress the problem is. Are their artists so incompetent they can't model a female body/face? (looking at that leaked asset video some fans made, I'd be tempted to say yes actually)

What the hell is the official explanation regarding no females? I know it isn't that hard to make a new rig, animations shouldn't be an issue because they spent millions of dollars on that mo-cap poo poo, so what gives?

I'd bet they've merged the character model with the player-controlled ship models. They would have to add entire new ship models to match the immersion features like hands grabbing joysticks and pilots visible from outside and whatever. Since nobody could justify piling hack upon hack like that and still try to say "yeah we'll sort that out real soon" with a straight face, new character models won't happen anytime soon

To think of it, that's probably why the clothing and other customization stuff can't be carried through the airlocks, which I seem to remember(?)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

If you just put a female mesh on a "male" animated skeleton you are heading straight to the uncanny valley. The viewer (be it a he or a she) immediately realize something is "wrong" even if he cant put it in words. All those long animations where you get out of cockpit, wake up, go in a chair ? Have to re-do them or adjust them by hand.

They also have a problem with the "camera behind your eyes" idea they painted themselves in, since on average females are shorter than men, it mean your default cockpit view with a female skeleton would be 4-6' lower than the current (original, male skeleton) view. Meaning you either have un-fidelicious "floaty models" when the female skeleton sits or you have them view nothing but dashboard in most ships.

And before you say "Adjusting the view for the character model should be simple !" this is CIG we are talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tmk_zlJAQ

This is also the reason why the less cartoon looking MMO now do "gender lock" on class, as it save them having to do two animations set for every move the class use.

Yet again we have an example of CIG's superficial design choices ("immersion animations", cockpit view being tied to the character model) preventing them from making sound basic design choices (female character models). It's not just having women, either - this kind of thing prevents them from having basic male customization as well, like a height or weight slider. Motion capture of ladder-climbing only looks right on the one model, if that. You can't just "tweak" it without it looking off.

Everything about Star Citizen is wrong.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Who's Robert?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

aleksendr posted:

This is what boggles me. With all those millions spent on motion capture, shouldn't they have been filming female_PC at the same time as male_PC? They wouldn't even have to double up on redoing scenes with all the actors, just do the scene with one, and then film an aside with the other PC actor doing the same thing.

Also, in the year 4000 of our lord the stimperor, maybe men and women average the same height? Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems right there?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:five::vince::five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Who's Robert?

It's how the Swedes say "Roberts"

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I still haven't figured out how to balance male and female models in a tryhard shooter context.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The outlook wasn't brilliant for ol' CIG that year
The update two point four was still just "getting near"
And the clothes store was teasered first, and then space farmville came
A pall-like silence fell across the shills and hucksters for the game

A few whales got up to go and leave their money there, the rest
True believers with dreams eternal of human breasts;
They thought "if only Roberts could but take a look at that -
We'd put up even more money now, with Roberts at the bat."

But Wingman preceded Roberts, as did Chris Olivia,
And the former was a leaver, and the latter didn't stay;
So upon that stricken company grim melancholy glowed,
For there seemed but little chance of Chris Roberts writing code.

But Wingman made his own game, and released it before the fall,
And Olivia left some assets and Roberts would claim them all,
And when CitCon had lifted, and goons saw what had occurred,
There was CIG still standing, smiling like they'd found a turd

Then from five thousand whales and more there rose a hundred mill
It rumbled the funding tracker and it surely never fell,
It pounded in the gardens Sandi Gardiner kept tame,
For Roberts, mighty Roberts, was going to code the game.

There was ease in Roberts manner as he sat down in his place;
There was pride on Robert's thumbface as he saw an Archer trace.
And when, responding to the cheers, he said "there will be birds"
Not a whale or backer anywhere could doubt Chris Roberts' words.

Then a thousand eyes were on him as he turned his PC on
Five thousand wallets opened when he decreed the past work gone.
Then while old Publishers prepared their own space games to release
Defiance flashed in Robert's eye - COD would be deceased!

And now the trailers came out, for such as Infinite Warfare,
And Roberts made some promises that he pulled out of the air
And on INN "it's already done" said reports nobody read
"It's just pre-alpha" said Roberts. "Strike one!" the goons all said.

From the sidelines, filled with gamers, there went up a muffled roar
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a beached whale on the shore,
"Kill him! Kill those goons!" shouted someone on DS subred;
And it's likely they'd have killed them if mods had not moved the thread.

With a smile of Christ's charity great Roberts' vision shone;
He stilled the rising tumult, because the Dreams were not yet done;
He signaled to the Publishers, and this time Mass Effect was new,
But Roberts still ignored it, and goons all said "Strike two!"

"Fraud!" cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered "Fraud!"
But one more promise from Roberts and the audience was awed
Then they saw his hands start waving, and they saw his wing commander past
And they knew that whatever happened Squadron 42 would be a blast.

The sneer was gone from Robert's lip, his mo-capped action all complete,
He stares down all the publishers, he was certain he'd defeat
And now Bethesda's teasing, and now Starfield's a "go"
And now the verse is refactored as Chris does another line of blow.

Oh somewhere in the galaxy, procedural birds are flying light,
And spacemans are playing somewhere, and somewhere dreams are alright,
And somewhere whales are laughing, good investments paying out
But there is no joy at CIG - Star Citizen just won't come out.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 17, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

"Hey guys it's useless - we've tried for loving months to get the vehicle code working as geometry, but it simply can't be done. There's simply no way to have them working as fps levels while allowing simultaneous control of the ship and the player character. How could we fool Chris into believing we solved this poo poo?"
"Uh, so I got an idea - it's an ugly hack, so stop me if you think there's any other way. How about we create separate player characters to match the ship models, and then have the player character disappear when they get into the pilot's seat? Then we could have the pilot's client computer handle the ship's acceleration without having to bother with independent player motion - instead of the server handling the static geometry and sixteen ship sub-levels, we could hand all of that off to the clients."
"That's genius and that's what we'll do. So we'll start with-"
"Just a quick warning guys, this road means we'll never have more ships in motion than the number of active client computers. Also we'll have to bake in the pilot animations into the ships' models, so we'll have real problems trying to do any customization of the player models or anything like that"
"Oh come on, like that would be the worst hack we're guilty of. No, we've exhausted all other options and management won't hear of any objections - if we have some way of faking this into looking real, we're loving taking it"

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

KiddieGrinder posted:

I know nothing about game development, but I'm assuming that the reason they seem to have so much trouble adding anything to the "baby PU" is they've kinda coded themselves into a corner, with so many structurally-unsound hacks in the foundation and so much rickety workaround scaffolding propping it all up that any change makes the whole thing judder apart at the seams.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: If we have some way of faking this into looking real, we're loving taking it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

imperialparadox posted:

This is what boggles me. With all those millions spent on motion capture, shouldn't they have been filming female_PC at the same time as male_PC? They wouldn't even have to double up on redoing scenes with all the actors, just do the scene with one, and then film an aside with the other PC actor doing the same thing.

Also, in the year 4000 of our lord the stimperor, maybe men and women average the same height? Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems right there?

Going by the other stories coming out of the place, it sounds like Chris simply does not understand the technology, or believes it can be solved programmatically or in the simulation. He probably got into his head that, hey, mocap is easy — they can save tons of work by doing a single capture and then “just tweak the data.” He is pretty notorious for not listening to field experts telling him that things don't work the way he wants them to work — being told that just result in him telling people to not be useless and to go solve “their” problem (which is actually of his direct and deliberate, if uncomprehending, making).

He only sees the opportunities of a piece of technology and is blind to the limitations, especially if those limitations directly clash with his vision. Where a competent designer would do what has driven great art since, oh, the Lascaux paintings, and work around the limitations to create something unique and stunning, he just repeatedly bashes his head against the wall of infeasibility and hopes that the mounting pain is a sign that the wall is breaking.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This would be the first time Chris had ever used mocap for player animations, right? Every other game he ever made was just animated or FMV if I'm remembering right.

It kind of makes sense he has no idea how to loving use it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

This would be the first time Chris had ever used mocap for player animations, right? Every other game he ever made was just animated or FMV if I'm remembering right.

It kind of makes sense he has no idea how to loving use it.

WC1–2 and Strike Commander used clever 2D animation — static images with tiny animated details (eyes, mouth) superimposed. WC3–4 used FMV.

Indeed, it could be argued that he has no 3D animation experience whatsoever, since WC3 and 4 had very little actual animation in the polygonal part of the game, and what there was was far removed from anything Chris actually did. He worked a bit on the previous engines (famously falsely claiming that he had reverse-engineered Lucasart's cinematic sprite-based flight engine).

The first (and only) time he probably came across proper 3D animation of any kind was in Freelancer, but we all know what happened to his involvement there.

So… yeah.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Thanks for the answers folks! I (somehow) forgot about the amazingly fidelitious grabby hands helmet flip getting into cockpit button pushy animations, I guess that would be difficult to re-do completely for a new character rig. Still though, I'm guessing for a competent studio this wouldn't be much of an issue.

And like I said, those character models looked like rear end anyway, so it's probably just Chris constantly coming in saying they're too ugly and make them look hotter, and then Sandi shambles in wearing her Willy Wonka glasses saying make them uglier than her character or else they're fired.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There are no female models in the game because sandi would be jealous 100% of the time instead of 99%. I hope that clears things up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

WC1–2 and Strike Commander used clever 2D animation — static images with tiny animated details (eyes, mouth) superimposed. WC3–4 used FMV.

Indeed, it could be argued that he has no 3D animation experience whatsoever, since WC3 and 4 had very little actual animation in the polygonal part of the game, and what there was was far removed from anything Chris actually did. He worked a bit on the previous engines (famously falsely claiming that he had reverse-engineered Lucasart's cinematic sprite-based flight engine).

The first (and only) time he probably came across proper 3D animation of any kind was in Freelancer, but we all know what happened to his involvement there.

So… yeah.

That goes a long way towards explaining why all the character animations are loving 40 second movies instead of the simple quick movements used in EVERY OTHER MOCAPPED GAME EVER MADE, tbh.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

The outlook wasn't brilliant for ol' CIG that year
The update two point four was still just "getting near"
And the clothes store was teasered first, and then space farmville came
A pall-like silence fell across the shills and hucksters for the game

A few whales got up to go and leave their money there, the rest
True believers with dreams eternal of human breasts;
They thought "if only Roberts could but take a look at that -
We'd put up even more money now, with Roberts at the bat."

But Wingman preceded Roberts, as did Chris Olivia,
And the former was a leaver, and the latter didn't stay;
So upon that stricken company grim melancholy glowed,
For there seemed but little chance of Chris Roberts writing code.

But Wingman made his own game, and released it before the fall,
And Olivia left some assets and Roberts would claim them all,
And when CitCon had lifted, and goons saw what had occurred,
There was CIG still standing, smiling like they'd found a turd

Then from five thousand whales and more there rose a hundred mill
It rumbled the funding tracker and it surely never fell,
It pounded in the gardens Sandi Gardiner kept tame,
For Roberts, mighty Roberts, was going to code the game.

There was ease in Roberts manner as he sat down in his place;
There was pride on Robert's thumbface as he saw an Archer trace.
And when, responding to the cheers, he said "there will be birds"
Not a whale or backer anywhere could doubt Chris Roberts' words.

Then a thousand eyes were on him as he turned his PC on
Five thousand wallets opened when he decreed the past work gone.
Then while old Publishers prepared their own space games to release
Defiance flashed in Robert's eye - COD would be deceased!

And now the trailers came out, for such as Infinite Warfare,
And Roberts made some promises that he pulled out of the air
And on INN "it's already done" said reports nobody read
"It's just pre-alpha" said Roberts. "Strike one!" the goons all said.

From the sidelines, filled with gamers, there went up a muffled roar
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a beached whale on the shore,
"Kill him! Kill those goons!" shouted someone on DS subred;
And it's likely they'd have killed them if mods had not moved the thread.

With a smile of Christ's charity great Roberts' vision shone;
He stilled the rising tumult, because the Dreams were not yet done;
He signaled to the Publishers, and this time Mass Effect was new,
But Roberts still ignored it, and goons all said "Strike two!"

"Fraud!" cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered "Fraud!"
But one more promise from Roberts and the audience was awed
Then they saw his hands start waving, and they saw his wing commander past
And they knew that whatever happened Squadron 42 would be a blast.

The sneer was gone from Robert's lip, his mo-capped action all complete,
He stares down all the publishers, he was certain he'd defeat
And now Bethesda's teasing, and now Starfield's a "go"
And now the verse is refactored as Chris does another line of blow.

Oh somewhere in the galaxy, procedural birds are flying light,
And spacemans are playing somewhere, and somewhere dreams are alright,
And somewhere whales are laughing, good investments paying out
But there is no joy at CIG - Star Citizen just won't come out.

Holy poo poo dude

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

There are no female models in the game because sandi would be jealous 100% of the time instead of 99%. I hope that clears things up.

I choose to believe it's because Sandi isn't happy with her mocap session or the fidelity of her character model's face.

"IT SHOULD BE BIGGER, LIKE TEN TIMES BIGGER. I WANT THEM ALL TO SEE IT!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol if you think the first (and only) female model put into the game won't be Sandi.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Who's Robert?

As in Chris Roberts.

That is the advertisement for Schindler's List.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Also for any CIG personnel reading this thread, Chris promised me:

Space trousers (cotton) 32x32, straight cut, flat front, color: 'Boating Khaki'

so I can cosplay as myself in the verse. So make sure that's in 2.4 when it's available to the rest of us.

chop chop

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Beet Wagon posted:

lol if you think the first (and only) female model put into the game won't be Sandi.

i thought she was ur wingman for s42

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol if you think they're going to ever figure out how to get a female model working. They'll just make facial hair mandatory on male characters.

they're going to end up looking like Michaelangelo's sculptures of women

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The thread of 2.4 related angst doesn't seem to be losing steam, so CIG has sent out a secret weapon; an "Anonymous CIG Tester" account:

So we're getting a lot of expectation management for 2.4: (its all very impressive...but you won't really be able to see why) while also assuring us that 2.5, 2.6 etc. is where the real exciting stuff happens...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The thread of 2.4 related angst doesn't seem to be losing steam, so CIG has sent out a secret weapon; an "Anonymous CIG Tester" account:

So we're getting a lot of expectation management for 2.4: (its all very impressive...but you won't really be able to see why) while also assuring us that 2.5, 2.6 etc. is where the real exciting stuff happens.

So 2.5 is the new 2.4. Good that they¹ see such nice and consistent progress.

¹ “they” being the version numbers, obviously — not the game

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
lol King Kongor alias GHOST is back! Again. (and streams Hearthstone right now)
And he is a Croberts Citizen

"Youtubing, Streaming, Space, Sci-Fi, Games, Astronomy & Technology enthusiast.
I absolutely LOVE star citizen!
This channel will consistently upload Star Citizen & random game gameplay and reviews!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCG7Go3a9p3Wo70YfZOOajXA?about

And I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46qqxw/ghost_is_king_kongorguys_you_just_gave_mvp_to_a/

Sorry if this is old news, but I just found out. The Chairman and the best business+marketing woman in the world have the most butthurt Ex-ex-ex-streamer King Kongor as worshipper, you can't make this stuff up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ever since 2.0 came out everyones been saying that the next patch is the big one and nothing has ever happened. The goalpost keeps moving back and soon they'll be going "2.7 is where the alpha really starts!"

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ever since 2.0 came out everyones been saying that the next patch is the big one and nothing has ever happened. The goalpost keeps moving back and soon they'll be going "2.7 is where the alpha really starts!"

We've always been at war with Eastasia.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I don't think so. You've forgotten this official statement from CIG:

CIG is an inclusive environment, which means we frown on hurtful titles like alpha, pre-alpha, tech demo - Star Citizen, in its current state, identifies as a full game, and we hope our community of truly wonderful people will respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They have reached minimal viable product already so......Just get a half assed sq42 out the door and home free.

• Locked thread