Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

"PowerShell privileges" ain't a thing unless your company does user-based application whitelisting or something. The execution policy might be locked down, but that won't stop you from typing things into a PS command line and running them. If you have read privileges to the file system you're trying to run a report on, you can run a PS get-childitem.

That said, 'get-childitem c:\ -recurse | out-file whatever.txt' is going to get you the same garbage as 'cmd /s > whatever.txt'. If you want the data structured at all an export-csv is more likely to be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Edit: Oh hey, I can open a console window. Let's see what I can break.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 17, 2016

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If you can see the share, you could run the PowerShell console from your workstation. The commands aren't anything more than what you can get from browsing to the share with Explorer. PowerShell doesn't care if your path is a network location or not. Hell, you can use the registry and Active Directory as your location for running commands. "CD \\server\share\directory\" is perfectly valid in PowerShell.

This is all stuff you CAN do, of course. Not that you necessarily should, if there's policies in place to prevent it.

(learn powershell because it's loving awesome)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I have no idea what all of that means. Her old and new phones are AT&T phones, neither are VoIP phones. She just needs a phone she can use to work from home with those features I mentioned, so long as it has a blinking light to indicate new voicemail in her Xfinity Voice mailbox. Doesn't have to be a VoIP phone, but if that's what it takes to get that feature then so be it.

The cheap Uniden standard-POTS wireless phones my parents have work with Xfinitiy Voice and blink their lights when there's a voicemail message. I'm not sure of the exact model other than they got them about 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the signaling Comcast uses on their home phone service is standard, so any phone that will be able to detect there's voicemail waiting should do.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Just got publicly lambasted by the director in front of STUDENTS because the Chromebooks my predecessor invested in apparently don't support Office365 and I should have somehow divined that this was an issue even though it's been over six months and this is the first time anyone has complained about it.

Really glad he decided to crawl my rear end about this on the last day of classes.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

Just got publicly lambasted by the director in front of STUDENTS because the Chromebooks my predecessor invested in apparently don't support Office365 and I should have somehow divined that this was an issue even though it's been over six months and this is the first time anyone has complained about it.

Really glad he decided to crawl my rear end about this on the last day of classes.

I hear Divination is in the next ChromeOS release. It'll just know what software you need.

But really I hate when management (or clients) blame you for something you had literally no control over. Yes let me hop in my time machine and slap my predecessor around a little bit to make sure he does the right thing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Pull up the documented requirements - the ones that didn't include Office365 support - that would have had to go through this director's approval?

e: Lack thereof makes your point as well. Don't rub it in his face, just explain how it would prevent that situation and suggest doing that for all major decisions going forward.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://dailygenius.com/office-365-on-the-web-on-your-chromebook/

:confused:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

How? I thought the whole point of GApps/O365 is that they were platform independent

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

You should move to the real world and get a job at a real place.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Potato Salad posted:

You should move to the real world and get a job at a real place.
He's stuck in that area because of his kid. :( I know that feeling--I have a good job but an awful commute, and family commitments prevent me from looking at moving to larger markets.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Roargasm posted:

How? I thought the whole point of GApps/O365 is that they were platform independent

Yeah, if you use the web apps, which no one has ever explained to anyone around here.

Everything is a clusterfuck all the time.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

This should probably be the sub-title for any IT related thread in this forum.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

mods sticky pls

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Yep, new title please.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

larchesdanrew posted:

:five: :five: :five:

Wow, you've just summed up almost 30 years of working in IT for me in one sentence.

:golfclap:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

larchesdanrew posted:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

I think I've found my last words for when my life ends...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Getting on this :bandwagon:

larchesdanrew posted:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
clusterfucks ruin everything around me

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Entropic posted:

chucklefucks cause clusterfucks

larchesdanrew posted:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Oh you guys.

Speaking of the podcast, recording the pilot episode of the series tonight to test out the gimmick. Won't be about the station yet, but when it is it'll be dedicated to you guys :wink:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

Hello there new thread title.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

larchesdanrew posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap › RE: A ticket came in: Everything is a clusterfuck all the time.

This

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A call came in: "I'm trying to use my search program and I'm getting a pop-up to upgrade to Windows 10 and it won't go away!" Hop on his computer, expecting to see a scheduled upgrade notification screen that I'll then have to spend the next half an hour dealing with in order to stop the installation.

Instead, I see Internet Explorer, opened to msn.com, with a banner across the top of the page advertising Windows 10. It's positioned directly on top of the MSN search bar. Clicking the X on the banner does nothing.

"Welp, looks like you'll just have to use Google. Let me know if you need anything else."

Closing the banner works in Chrome and FireFox just fine, though why would you go to msn.com in either of those browsers? :laugh:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

MiniFoo posted:

Closing the banner works in Chrome and FireFox just fine, though why would you go to msn.com in either of those browsers? :laugh:

The fact that both those browsers offer to import settings from IE on first install.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh you guys.

Speaking of the podcast, recording the pilot episode of the series tonight to test out the gimmick. Won't be about the station yet, but when it is it'll be dedicated to you guys :wink:
I am prepared

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Ticket closed, working as intended.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Entropic posted:

Get the tickets!
Password, password resets ya'll

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

So I have the misfortune of being the lowliest of tech workers: the retail schlub.

Customer brought a computer in today, just wanted an upgrade to Windows 10. Super easy. Grabbed one of the flash drives we have that have the upgrade on it. Make sure its the correct drive. The retail demo drives are all marked Demo. Drive is unmarked. Pop drive in, start upgrade. Finish upgrade, reboot annnnnnnnd gently caress. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. Someone left an unmarked retail demo copy of Windows 10 in our bin of drives. Now we get to pull the drive, and try to run a data recovery program to see if we can manage to get their files.

God dammit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Myrmidongs posted:

So I have the misfortune of being the lowliest of tech workers: the retail schlub.

Customer brought a computer in today, just wanted an upgrade to Windows 10. Super easy. Grabbed one of the flash drives we have that have the upgrade on it. Make sure its the correct drive. The retail demo drives are all marked Demo. Drive is unmarked. Pop drive in, start upgrade. Finish upgrade, reboot annnnnnnnd gently caress. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. Someone left an unmarked retail demo copy of Windows 10 in our bin of drives. Now we get to pull the drive, and try to run a data recovery program to see if we can manage to get their files.

God dammit.

if it makes you feel any better, the only thing that improves when you get out of geek squad is your paycheck. The dumb poo poo never stops.

This afternoon I was listening to one of my coworkers troubleshoot a modem with a tech. He asked the tech what his modem's IP address was, then was confused when it didn't match what he was looking at.

He was looking at the router's management IP. This man is five years my senior.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 19, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I still have a Core2Duo build from Feb 2008 sitting on my kitchen counter, working at recovering data from a 2 TB drive that went into failure mode. Became redundant when I did my new build last April (i7), but other than turning down some graphics settings in games, was working fine as my primary system at home.

Spent extra time and money on the build so it would be beefy enough to last a while... might have been pushing it a bit. :v:

Don't think I have records of when I did the P3 build, though, which was one emergency-replacement (gently caress you power company) out from being the direct predecessor to the C2D.

Stop badmouthing Core2s. My biggest box right now is a Core2Quad (with a LOT of upgrades). Best I can afford.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Still rocking an SL510, upgraded to a C2D P9700 with 8GB and a 250GB SSD. Does all my laptopping just fine.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

New Thread Title. New T-Shirt in SAmart please.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Myrmidongs posted:

God dammit.

"Always backup" and "always have a roll back plan" are the best lessons I have learnt in a long career in IT.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dravs posted:

"Always backup" and "always have a roll back plan" are the best lessons I have learnt in a long career in IT.

never assume anything, especially about the contents of a USB drive

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spankmeister posted:

never assume anything, especially about the contents of a USB drive

I dunno: always assuming that you work with a bunch of fuckwits has always worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
So I have had a ticket recently on helping a sysadmin. He had just come into the company, taking over for someone else. THere was absolutely no hardware monitoring going on on the server. He had limits on what he was allowed to do by policy, but ended up getting in the command line tool for the RAID controller.
He found he had 4 HDDs offline on a 6 disk RAID 10 with a hotspare. System was still up and chugging along.
After helping him diagnose what happened: it was the luckiest set of drive failures that could have possibly happened. In a 10 month period: the middle span had a drive fail, then it rebuilt onto the hot spare. Then the first span had a drive fail. The the middle span had the other original HDD fail leaving the rebuilt drive. Then the final span had a drive fail.
We replaced the drives and the rebuild went well.
I hope this situation is an illustration to his management of the need for better monitoring tools (probably not).

• Locked thread