Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'm actually working on an article about this right now. I get why Dunn and Murray are ranked above Hield on most boards, and to some extent I agree from a talent evaluation standpoint. But I think Hield has a higher floor and ceiling than those players. Trying to conceptualize the idea of diminishing returns for 'more' at the draft level i.e. why being a good player across the board is not necessarily more valuable than being elite at a few things at the NBA level.

Hield played against elite competition and length to the degree of few lottery shooters before him and succeeded time and time again in his senior season. Ability to shoot at the NBA level should not be questioned for me and will look as stupid in hindsight as questioning Curry or Lillard's ability to do the same.

To take Murray and Dunn over Hield, I think you have to believe that their shooting will eventually rival Hield's. Not sure either of them will ever get there. Murray certainly has a better chance, but he's much better on spot-ups than he is off the dribble. Question becomes whether he'll be able to develop that at the NBA level. GMs are seduced by potential, but you'll get a better first four out of Hield than you will out of either of those players IMO.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

straight up brolic posted:

no one shoots ~40% off the dribble from three and makes 45% of ten attempts per game accidentally.

So you're saying he missed 60%/55% of those shots on purpose then? :iamafag:

e: I don't have an actual argument other than "I'm looking at the numbers and this is how I feel about them" and it would be pointless for me to continue down the thread. I do agree that Hield has the higher floor, but Murray's numbers as a freshman were better than any of Hield's seasons bar this one, which is why I think he's the better prospect.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 16, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

So you're saying he missed 60%/55% of those shots on purpose then? :iamafag:

e: I don't have an actual argument other than "I'm looking at the numbers and this is how I feel about them" and it would be pointless for me to continue down the thread. I do agree that Hield has the higher floor, but Murray's numbers as a freshman were better than any of Hield's seasons bar this one, which is why I think he's the better prospect.
Yeah no I get it. It's makes sense to suggest that outcome won't stabilize, just wanted to point out that the underlying numbers suggest that Hield is actually just really good now and has improved tremendously as a shooter.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

can someone articulate why Jaylen Brown isn't just a worse Stanley Johnson?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like Heild seems likely to be a good shooter, but outlier seasons absolutely happen, especially when you have an age and experience advantage over almost everyone you play against and his season screams outlier relative to the rest of his career (and while guys can and do improve in general freshman production tends to be the most predictive). And if you're comparing him to someone like Murray you need to factor in that at the same point in his career Hield couldn't even crack 30% from three

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Where's my Evan Eschemeyer highlight tape at.

Eschemeyer owns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

can someone articulate why Jaylen Brown isn't just a worse Stanley Johnson?

He's more athletic than Johnson I think but yeah he looks way less skilled than Johnson did at Arizona. His appeal is almost entirely "looks very much like a person who should be great at sports"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
There's not really going to be a draft I hate this thread ! I hate it! what's the chance that every player busts

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hield's season might be an outlier, but it also happened to be an outlier that occurred after he spent the previous summer working out the hitches in his jump shot.

EvanTH posted:

There's not really going to be a draft I hate this thread ! I hate it! what's the chance that every player busts
Well maybe if we can get Meth and Oxy to become popular basketball player drugs we can have a repeat of 1986?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
NICK

WANTS

HIELD

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/732677769398788097

draft is rigged???

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Simmons just had a brain aneurysm.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did no one move up?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Did no one move up?

Correct

There was a 1.9% chance of that happening

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Correct

It's also the most likely scenario too. Any configuration of the draft has a Under 2% chance of happening. They are all unlikely.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

Correct

Technically, it was the most likely single outcome (ie, more likely than other single ordering), but yeah, the odds are low as hell

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hield played against elite competition and length to the degree of few lottery shooters before him and succeeded time and time again in his senior season. Ability to shoot at the NBA level should not be questioned for me and will look as stupid in hindsight as questioning Curry or Lillard's ability to do the same.

But questioning them wasn't stupid, and thinking it was is badly over privileging results vs process. Like, it would be a poor conclusion to decide because of them that junior/senior guards from small schools with quick release jumpers and subpar athleticism are a hot commodity.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Now comes the part where I try to have strong opinions on players without posting something that can be made fun of in a year. Oh man the dumb poo poo I wanted to post about Russell last summer before the draft that I stopped myself from doing . . .

Marcus Smart hasn't made me eat my words yet, luckily.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not going to complain about Sacramento since they won the tie breakers and draft at 8 instead of 10. As far as I'm concerned they moved up 2 spots. Now to hope Minnesota or New Orleans falls in love with Ellenson or Skal

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Not going to complain about Sacramento since they won the tie breakers and draft at 8 instead of 10. As far as I'm concerned they moved up 2 spots. Now to hope Minnesota or New Orleans falls in love with Ellenson or Skal

This guy grew up less than 2 hours from the twin cities

Thankfully Thibs at the helm might bring a bit more sanity in our drafting, but there will probably be clamoring to get this guy a jersey and a pontoon.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

This guy grew up less than 2 hours from the twin cities

Thankfully Thibs at the helm might bring a bit more sanity in our drafting, but there will probably be clamoring to get this guy a jersey and a pontoon.

Is there a Kirk Hinrich equivalent in the draft

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there a Kirk Hinrich equivalent in the draft

If we blew our cap signing Deng, Kirk and Noah I would be sooo happy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Now comes the part where I try to have strong opinions on players without posting something that can be made fun of in a year. Oh man the dumb poo poo I wanted to post about Russell last summer before the draft that I stopped myself from doing . . .

Marcus Smart hasn't made me eat my words yet, luckily.

:justpost:

Seriously, this place is less fun when people keep their dumb (sports related) opinions to themselves

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

But questioning them wasn't stupid, and thinking it was is badly over privileging results vs process. Like, it would be a poor conclusion to decide because of them that junior/senior guards from small schools with quick release jumpers and subpar athleticism are a hot commodity.
it's very hard to name an excellent off the dribble, high volume, high efficiency college shooter who failed in the nba.

Jimmer is the most recent example I guess

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

:justpost:

Seriously, this place is less fun when people keep their dumb (sports related) opinions to themselves

Example:
Buddy Hield will be what beal should be

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 18, 2016

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

it's very hard to name an excellent off the dribble, high volume, high efficiency college shooter who failed in the nba.

Jimmer is the most recent example I guess

Well...arbitrary cutoffs and no way to distinguish shots off the dribble, but not exactly a list of exclusively NBA talent. Douby and Wolters did nothing, Hill and Redick are very nice backups (and I think if Hield becomes Hill or Redick you'd be happy to have taken him in the 5-10 range, to be fair), and the guys in that 11-20 range are pretty dire. It'd hard to think of them because they scrubbed out and you forgot about them.

I'll grant you a lot of those guys are from weaker conferences and didn't face the competition Hield did, but then again so were Lillard and Curry.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I can name a bunch of guys if you include small conference players. For bigger conferences Stauskas and Joseph Young are the first two that leap to mind without spending much time looking back.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm not sure who I want the Wolves to take. It seems like a lot of mocks are project Dunn to the Wolves. He fits Thibodeau's mold of long athletic defenders, but he's had a couple of shoulder injuries and seems to be an inconsistent shooter. It would be nice to have another good PG, since the offense drops off hard when Rubio is off the court, but the Wolves really need to prioritize complementing what they have with shooters. For shooters you have Hield and Murray, who I would be fine with, but I'm less certain if they fit what Thibodeau may be looking for. Finding a PF would be nice, but I don't see Bender sliding to 5 and even if he does, he may be too much of a project. Then there is Ellenson, who could develop into a stretch 4, but I don't see him fitting with Thibodeau emphasizing defense. I am actually wondering if Skal Labissiere is the best fit at PF, since he's a long, athletic defender and having another big who can block shots and defend the perimeter would be really nice.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Well...arbitrary cutoffs and no way to distinguish shots off the dribble, but not exactly a list of exclusively NBA talent. Douby and Wolters did nothing, Hill and Redick are very nice backups (and I think if Hield becomes Hill or Redick you'd be happy to have taken him in the 5-10 range, to be fair), and the guys in that 11-20 range are pretty dire. It'd hard to think of them because they scrubbed out and you forgot about them.

I'll grant you a lot of those guys are from weaker conferences and didn't face the competition Hield did, but then again so were Lillard and Curry.
Hill and Redick are starters. Both are also pretty exclusively a set shooters, not off the dribble. Douby is a good shout. I should have added the caveat of being a first-round selection because most of these guys didn't have the athleticism to be given a true shot in the NBA anyway. I don't believe shooting is the only thing that matters, I just believe that there is a lower failure rate amongst first round picks that are great shooters, if that makes sense.

MourningView posted:

Yeah I can name a bunch of guys if you include small conference players. For bigger conferences Stauskas and Joseph Young are the first two that leap to mind without spending much time looking back.
Young has pretty similar underlying numbers (although he barely got into the NBA and it may be too soon to write him off as a failure considering that he's playing for Indiana as a second round pick). Stauskas didn't shoot nearly as much, but is a better shout considering that he came off the board in the lottery.

I'm not allowed to post the data that's not publicly available, but off the dribble shooting is a pretty good predictor of future shooting success %-wise (better than whatever the previous season's normal percentages were).

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Lakers face no pressure here, right? They'll simply pick the dude Philly did not pick. Or is there a 3rd guy floating around?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Having not watched a ton of college ball before the tournament, is Malachi Richardson a viable pick for the Sixers at 24/26? Seems he would fill a scoring need, especially if they take Simmons at 1 (they HAVE to take Simmons).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hill and Redick are starters. Both are also pretty exclusively a set shooters, not off the dribble. Douby is a good shout. I should have added the caveat of being a first-round selection because most of these guys didn't have the athleticism to be given a true shot in the NBA anyway. I don't believe shooting is the only thing that matters, I just believe that there is a lower failure rate amongst first round picks that are great shooters, if that makes sense.

Young has pretty similar underlying numbers (although he barely got into the NBA and it may be too soon to write him off as a failure considering that he's playing for Indiana as a second round pick). Stauskas didn't shoot nearly as much, but is a better shout considering that he came off the board in the lottery.

I'm not allowed to post the data that's not publicly available, but off the dribble shooting is a pretty good predictor of future shooting success %-wise (better than whatever the previous season's normal percentages were).

DX tends to post the synergy off the dribble shooting percentage for pretty much everyone with a chance to get drafted in their scouting reports so it's not too hard to find if you google "name draft express off the dribble" or something

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

aBagorn posted:

Having not watched a ton of college ball before the tournament, is Malachi Richardson a viable pick for the Sixers at 24/26? Seems he would fill a scoring need, especially if they take Simmons at 1 (they HAVE to take Simmons).

I like his game a lot. Very little wasted movement on his shot and off the bounce. I think he can develop an all around scoring game as well. I don't think he'll be there for those picks though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If Memphis doesn't trade up for Buddy then I sure do hope we get Baby Sabonis

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

#1 pick and I didn't get arrested or burn anything down.

https://twitter.com/SpikeEskin/status/732739809731547137?s=09

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Celtics should probably trade pick #3 or take Buddy, to be honest. I have no idea what the sixers are going to do because regardless of who they draft their best 3 players are going to be Centers or Power Forwards, with 2 more possibly coming onto the team. They really have to trade Okafor or Noel. Probably Noel.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Celtics should probably trade pick #3 or take Buddy, to be honest. I have no idea what the sixers are going to do because regardless of who they draft their best 3 players are going to be Centers or Power Forwards, with 2 more possibly coming onto the team. They really have to trade Okafor or Noel. Probably Noel.

Doesn't Ingram project as more of a 3?

Aniki posted:

I'm not sure who I want the Wolves to take. It seems like a lot of mocks are project Dunn to the Wolves. He fits Thibodeau's mold of long athletic defenders, but he's had a couple of shoulder injuries and seems to be an inconsistent shooter. It would be nice to have another good PG, since the offense drops off hard when Rubio is off the court, but the Wolves really need to prioritize complementing what they have with shooters. For shooters you have Hield and Murray, who I would be fine with, but I'm less certain if they fit what Thibodeau may be looking for. Finding a PF would be nice, but I don't see Bender sliding to 5 and even if he does, he may be too much of a project. Then there is Ellenson, who could develop into a stretch 4, but I don't see him fitting with Thibodeau emphasizing defense. I am actually wondering if Skal Labissiere is the best fit at PF, since he's a long, athletic defender and having another big who can block shots and defend the perimeter would be really nice.

I wouldn't mind Skal if we traded down for him (maybe Buddy is on the board at 5 and someone in the 9-12 range is in love with him) but I still think you take BPA in the top five outside of extreme circumstances (which I don't think the Wolves fall under).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 18, 2016

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Jack's Flow posted:

The Lakers face no pressure here, right? They'll simply pick the dude Philly did not pick. Or is there a 3rd guy floating around?

It's either Simmons or Ingram.

And who goes first and second probably comes down to Embiid's health. If the 76ers think he will be able to come back, they should take Ingram. You can't play 4 PFs/C's, and they already have Okafor, Embiid and Noel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think it's pretty much nailed on that the Sixers take Simmons and trade either Okafor or Noel.

• Locked thread