Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pay wages, ask for volunteers, notify temple, ask for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Grüw
Month 2, Week 3, Day Seven
Thirteen Days Remaining
Early Morning

You briefly consider notifying the Grüwian factory temple to Toil about your vision, but something about the head priests demeanour changes your mind.
The way he looked at you as if you had a job to do, the way every second in his presence you felt you where interrupting something important.

Besides, what could he do? Either Toil had already told him, in which case why would Toil appear before you? Or he hadn't, in which case why would God suddenly do so now?
No, you reason, Toil must have chosen you for a reason, however strange and esoteric that reason may seem to your mortal mind.

---

With all of ITEC gathered for departure, you make clear your intentions.

“Friends, companions.” “Serving with you these past months has been an honour, and a profitable one at that. I am glad to report that even after everything that has happened, we are running a profit. As soon as we return to Braav, all your salaries shall be paid in full!”
A cheer erupts at these words. But you quiet them down. “Yet time is of the essence and I have scant opportunity for celebration, for a Vision I received deep in the silver mine has revealed a seldom seen disaster which Toil itself has tasked me to prevent.”

“Thirteen days from now, the city of Harst will burn. The source, it's Famous Ironworks, an unknown dwarf and the Automata therein.”

“For this one, I am asking for volunteers, as I realize a bounty-less Godquest for Toil might not be for everyone, and with all the fighting we have done I know we all deserve some rest.”

“Know I will not think less of those that do not follow. Indeed; with the weight of our cargo we would not make it in time, should all present rally to this cause.” “I ask for some of you to stay behind, to bring our wagons to Braav and wait for our return.”

There is some discussion. The three brothers Loman, eager to spend good coin, all decide to head to Braav. Kvelars eyes burn with some intensity at the description of your Vision, and swiftly volunteers.
Abigail was at your side before you had even finished talking, the charms on her cast still smouldering with a fading but divine light. Khami considers his options, but finally decides to go with you and thus only Skvababt is left.
She keeps staring at the corpse-laden cart, then to you, then to the corpses. She seems to be having a hard time deciding.

“If we are to turn these delicate scaled beast-hides into beautiful leather, we cannot abandon them for long. I will follow you should you desire me, but the Tanning, like so many other cravings cannot safely be ignored. Mhm...”

---

1: Skvababt is undecided. She wishes to work the Kobold corpses into Leather Armour, fit for the more agile members of your team.
When you asked her previously for more details, she assured you they would offer larger freedom of movement with a lighter total weight for the same quality protection as regular leather. A decent upgrade, then.
Whats more, Skvababt has offered to craft them all for you at cost, saving you precious wealth that would otherwise go to labour and material cost at a full time leatherworkers shop.

All that aside, you are loathe to leave her behind. Even if her temporary blindness in the deep dark caverns of Grüw was unfortunate she has time and time again proved her usefulness and lethal capabilities as a ranged fighter.
Not to mention her other, more social or aesthetic qualities. You cant really place them, and have even less capability to understand them, but they are there just the same.

A: Leave her behind.
Let her work the leather to her hearts content. It's what she would want. How could you disappoint her? [Skvababt will not be joining you on the next adventure.]

B: Ask her to come with you.
You cant bear leave her behind, the leather will just have to wait. She seems to enjoy your company. It's what she would want. How could you disappoint her? [Skvababt will join you on the next adventure.]

C: Ask her to join you but make sure one of the Brothers Loman who are staying behind gets all the corpses to a Braavian leatherworker.
You can't actually afford to work all the hides into leather this way, but [01 wealth] should cover the downpayment. You'll just have to get some more money on the way back, somehow. Or hope more bounties appear whilst they are being crafted.
It's what she would want. How could you disappoint her? [-01 Wealth. -030 Kobold Corpses.] [Skvababt will join you on the next adventure.]

You currently have [014 wealth], [013 wealth] of which will be spent at the end of the month leaving you with a net profit of [01 wealth] with which to do with as you please.

---

The road is long, with many a winding turns, that lead you to Braav, and further still.
A trip of nearly two weeks, with the destination a city you have never been, which might not even be there when you arrive should you tarry. Still, for now the territory is familiar and you take your time to enjoy the wind rushing in your face as you ride.

2: But the road is long and there is little to do but travel. With your deadline rapidly approaching you can ill afford to take frequent rests, and so you and your companions must camp each night utterly exhausted.
It is at these times, before slumber takes you to another realm entirely, that you trade what stories you have encountered through your life with those of your companions.
What story do you want to hear first?

D: Albrecht Adelheid, The Newly Embraced

E: Mårgått Merryfoot, The First Casualty of the Last Godwar

F: Barul Qorr, The suddenly Ex-Monster-Hunter

G: Pith Tim, The Unfortunate Imperial Army Recruit

H: Write-in.
Is there anything specific you would like to know more about, that you could reasonably know or that wouldn't affect you personally?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Okay, so I have a plan. As per a chat with Thaum in IRC, Skvab can per her estimate complete 3 full suits of leather armor if we let her at it immediately, with a value of approx 2 Wealth per suit (Could be more, could be less, depending on a variety of factors). Nevertheless, that is about 6 Wealth's worth of Leather armor, and a significant upgrade for us. So we def should let her stay to make them, especially since I doubt a ranger would be much use against automata. BUT, that leaves us 4 fighters short. Now, we have 1 Wealth to play around with, which is the amount we pay one of our dudes per month. Thus, it should be enough of a bone to entice some mercenary work with us for one mission.

I suggest: We let Skvab work (A), Hire a mercenary for one mission (either 1 Wealth or possibly one of the leather suits as a reward)

And G for the last one.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
AF

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 15, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A - the rational, accounting side of our dwarves brain can't bear the thought of spending more money we don't have, a little more than the other parts of our brain want to bring her with us.

G Sounds interesting!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A. Keep her happy, and arrows probably wouldn't do much against automata anyway.
E. Learn more about what exactly a godwar is and what happens in them.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

E

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1. Rent an ice storage? No leather preservation procedures?
2.D

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
AG

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

A
E I also want to learn about Godwars.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: A
2: D
3: Hire a mercenary for one gold. Send a message to the guy with the Yeti bounty that we'll return ASAP and that we should be more able to work out alternative payment arrangements at that time.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Mårgått Merryfoot, The First Casualty of the Last Godwar

The Vastness that was the Avatar of an Ancient God loomed over the battlefield, felling entire cohorts of the nascent Imperial Army at a time, a reaper at his field come harvest.
For that was Mårgått Merryfoot in his essence – The Heavenly Farmer, the Tender of the Grove.

Where things normal, he would take the ripests of shoots from the Celestial Garden that was his realm, planting them in the metaphorical soil of the Physical.
There he would tend to them for an eternity, until they bloomed into the Flowers of the Soul.

These he would present to his consort; Mårväl Merryfoot, The Joy of Life. Hers where the aspects of laughter and merriment, of procreation and puns.
She would carry them forthwith to mothers-to-be and in her Divine Wisdom would she do so Rightly.

But that was then and this was now. For the Peoples of the world had gone to War, and beholden as they where to their worshippers, the Gods had followed.

---

The Halflings, as the Empire called them, had never known a ruler. Had always looked out for themselves, their families, their own. With their own power had they carved out their niche in creation.
Why should they offer the sweat of their brow to any other? Why should they share the Bounty granted to them by God? So they protested. They spat and swore and took up arms.
They rallied their forces and cheered Mårgått's name in victory. What hope could a fledgling empire stand against Divinity itself? What hope indeed?

---

So there stood Mårgått. In a field coloured crimson and purple of vilest miasma, his Little People by his side, a lone figure in the gloom the only foe left standing.

Yet from this foe; so insignificant unto the likes of God, came a voice clearer than Thunder, and it said unto him: Yield.

What a Fool! Thought Mårgått. To oppose the likes of Him!
And so did Mårgått hold aloft his arm, stirring the Winds into a Frenzy. So all the Storms of Autumn came at once, uprooting even mountains.

But his foe stood firm against the winds, weighted down by the crown upon his brow.

Repeating thusly: Yield.

Mårgått took the winds to breath upon, finding them unsuited to his his purpose. And so they cried and wailed around him, until all the land was frigid, frozen.
So harsh was the Winters Chill that even the Sun itself turned blue with Frostbite.

But the foe merely pulled tighter his cloak, unperturbed by Winters Embrace.

Repeating thusly: Yield.

Måtgått shook with Rage at the affront; and the Great Trembling caused the ice to shatter and his Wrath caused it to boil.
A torrent of water washed over the field; all the many Floods of Summer.

But clad as he was in slime-covered workboots; the lone figure was completely unaffected.

Fixing his eyes to the great figure occupying the horizon, the foe repeated thusly: Yield.

Furious, Mårgått withdrew the floods into himself and shook from his Divinity all the shoots and spores, all the pollen, nuts and and seeds and all the Fecundity of Spring; into the ground made fertile by the recent conflict.
And as they touched the soil did it erupt; a multitude and more of deadly fauna.

“Four Times Have I Offered Thee Recourse, Four Times Have I considered Mercy.” Said the figure to the God. “But You Persist And I must Go, You Will Not Keep From Me My Purpose.”

Pulling taught his worksman's gloves, did Rim thus that day stride forward. For much was left for him to do until his task had been completed.

So Great Mårgått's Divinity was Shattered, and all his works came at once undone. Forever barred his garden was, and barred from Heaven too his consort.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:allears:

Love it. We made God Flowers into cupcakes. :D

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
So, Rim 'killed' the agriculture God, and now suddenly woods are springing out from nowhere to gently caress up his Empire. COINCIDENCE?

:tinfoil:

Eh, probably.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Someone need to become the next agriculture god.

I elect frog lady.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Sockne
Month 2, Week 4, Day Two
Eleven Days Remaining
Late Night

You arrive back in the peaceful little farming hamlet of Sockne at the base of the mountain range a few days later, your slimmed-down strike team racing ahead of your loot laden carts.
Not much has changed since you last visited, aside from some new staffing at the inn. One of the migrant duck workers was quick to snatch Abigails former position when the harvest work ran out.

You sleep a dreamless sleep that night in a comfortable bed and arise early in the morning to continue your travels. Ah, but there was one more thing on your mind, wasn't there?

Abigail. The young duck-woman whom you picked up when last you where here but a week ago. Already she has killed for you. Already she has bled for you. Always eager to prove herself, that one. With a courage to make up for what she lacks in skill.
As per your contract she will continue working for you until the end of the month for free, but if you wish to retain her after that Guild Law, Common Decency and the Necessities of Life all conspire to require you to pay her honest salaries.

1: Do you wish to hire Abigail on as a permanent member of ITECs forces?
She expects a salary of [01 wealth] per month, but you are free to pay her more if you wish (although your other recruits might get grumpy if they perceive salary related injustices.)

A: Yes! Same deal as everyone else! [-01 wealth / month in perpetuity]
B: Yes! But more! [-??? wealth month in perpetuity]
C: No. Leave her behind.

---

Just as you are about to leave, the Old Man appears in front of you once more, vibrating with untapped energy.

2: You already know what he wants, - to have his existence validated by the slaughter of what most of the villagers of Sockne considered to be a figment of his own dementia ridden imagination: The Scary Marsh Horse.
You don't have time for another recital... but maybe you do? Perhaps his fools errand is worth giving up your God Given Quest for? Maybe it wont be that long of a derail? The monster probably isn't even real, and how far away can the march be?

D: Let him down gently.
Tell him you'll be back later. He has already waited long enough to become an Old man, what's a few more weeks?

E: Oh Boy! A Sidequest!
Ignore your vision for now, you have a make believe monster to slay!
[+01 Old Man Recruit. Will work for essentially free as long as you do his quest.]

---

3: Wherever you go, whatever happens, night will inevitably occur. Before you slumber, you share your stories... tonight the topic is...

F: Albrecht Adelheid, The Newly Embraced

G: Mr. Guffsons Bad Day

H: Barul Qorr, The suddenly Ex-Monster-Hunter

I: Pith Tim, The Unfortunate Imperial Army Recruit

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “We must hurry, dear cousin. Every day we linger, the closer Harst is to its doom!”
Abigail: “Ah, this place is boring! Lets get going already!”
Khami: “To trust in but the word of another, that is foolishness. To distrust a fool for their appearance, ignorance.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: A
2: D. I really want old man recruit but we have three current obligations. One to Toil, a second to get the Yeti's to calm down, a third to make sure the peoples get paid. This can take a while. In the mean time ask Skv to prep him a suit of armor if he so desires. This'll let him know that we're serious about his offer even though we can't help right now.
3: G

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A
D
, and we're serious about taking a look when we get back.
H

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

ADH

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B. 999 wealth!
D
F

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A
D
F

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A
D
F

Vampires?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

A
D
G

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

ADF

Vampires??

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
ADF

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Albrecht Adelheid, The Newly Embraced

“Good Evening! Bleh! And so good to see you, Mr. Adelheid. Ve have much to discuss!”

Illuminated only by candlelight, the man clad in the Official Garments of the Imperial Census gestured for the new arrival to take a seat. As he did so, an observant outsider might realize that his shadow did not follow suit, but Mr. Adelheid himself was far to busy to notice.

Setting himself down into a thick leather armchair, Albrecht Adelheid was a mostly unremarkable man in his late twenties, unkempt short brown hair framing his face.
The area under his eyes where darkened, more luggage compartments than bags. He seemed shaky, as if coming off from some recent high.

---

They had met in The Crowded Room, a tavern for the world-weary and old at heart. The place where people like Albert went to drink away their gloom. Oh, he had had a good upbringing, a respectable education, held a comfortable job
But he had always though he was destined for something more; a charmed life of high adventure and fame. Thus it was that he had been roped into an impromptu recruitment session for the Imperial Census, Tactical Night Division.

They 'preyed' for lack of better word, on people like him. Those overly ambitious, but lacking direction. Managing the running of the Entire World was no easy task, and not all areas of the Empire where safe for travel, however much the Imperial Army strived to keep it so.
The agent had promised him everything, and he had sipped up every word like it was the drink he had actually ordered.

---

Soon the sound of the shuffling of papers filled the stiffly decorated room, a welcome respite from the otherwise deafening silence of the census office.

---

In the old days before the Empire, the processes of "The Embrace" might have been accomplished over as little as three nights. A private, intimate ritual between Sire and Childer.
Ever since The Bureaucracy stepped in however it had become a long and ardous affair, requring days of rest in between each grueling step. This was mainly because the Empire would suffer no incompetence, no chaos and above all no threat to its rule.

So as Mr. Adelheid sunk ever deeper into the chair, the droning, accented voice of the Census Agent continued where they had left of last time. Patiently explaining all the rules and regulations that came with eternal life and vastly increased personal ability.
How he would be expected to serve (either in the military, as a labourer or via private research) from what public duties he would be exempted (like certain communal rituals and day-light activities in general) and what he could expect in return.
How the process was irreversible. What would happen if he strayed.

---

"So if you would just sign here, here and here Mr. Adelheid..." The Agent said, barring his fangs.
The only sounds that could be heard where the sharp rasps of a stylus on parchment, followed by screaming, endless screaming.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Albrecht Adelheid, The Newly Embraced

So...you're saying the IRS is full of nightmarish blood-sucking fiends?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So the Empire is run by vampires? Huh.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Vampire Questions

There Bias Two posted:

So...you're saying the IRS is full of nightmarish blood-sucking fiends?

I'm saying it needs to be.

Mr. Nemo posted:

So the Empire is run by vampires? Huh.

The Empire is run by the Emperor, The Council of Nobles, the Imperial Bureaucracy, the various Guilds and the United World Church.
Some, none or all of the individuals therein represented may or may not be vampires.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

If Vampirism is officially sanctioned, why would anybody (a certain Duchess comes to mind, about whom rumours abound) want to try and hide the condition?

To avoid their vampiric obligations? Some other reason?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It's bad when your political enemy know you hate garlic.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Legal when done in government service is not the same as socially acceptable.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Waci posted:

Legal when done in government service is not the same as socially acceptable.

Yah, I assumed it might be something like that. Would like the WORD OF GOD to weigh in on it though.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Reasons

Theantero posted:

If Vampirism is officially sanctioned, why would anybody (a certain Duchess comes to mind, about whom rumours abound) want to try and hide the condition?

To avoid their vampiric obligations? Some other reason?

Given time you can think of at least one hundred (100) separate and equally likely reasons someone might not wish it publicly known that exposure to sunlight transforms them into a pile of ash.
These reasons range from those of vanity and social stigma to the intricacies of political intrigue. The most unlikely-to-a-modern-audience-reading however are probably related to tax evasion or the afore-mentioned vampiric obligations.

Vampirism is seen by The United World Church and many of the ruling class as a plague of self-actualization; granting the infected ability above their allotted station in life, bypassing the Hard Work required to transcend and denying the Divine what is their due.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On the Road to Braav again

Night turns into day and day turns into night, you ride until your back aches and your horse is sore. You ride through Bad Duck Wice(TM) fields, meadows and small forests until you can ride no more. You sleep.

The morning comes and with it; riding. The River Ennui stretches out before you at last, it's lonesome path winding the way home towards Braav. You are accompanied by the song of the waves, the drum of the hooves on grass and soil, the tired chatter of your companions.

You follow it for another day, almost falling off your horse on several occasions. They love running; but they hate being pushed. Horses are fickle creatures. Once more you make camp, by some large rocks close to the water, in an area shaded by trees.
Together with Abigail Kvelar and Khami you watch the sun set on the horizon, and all is well.

“SALMONSTER!!!”

You fumble out of your sleeping bag startled by the familiar cry of your cousins voice raised in alarm. He is frantically waving his torch and and pointing towards the shoreline.
Sure enough, a run of Salmonsters have been attracted by the unmistakable stench of horse. They aren't the fastest creatures on land but right now they don't have to be; they only need to catch up with the slowest of you.

If stood upright, they would reach about the same height as the Egggaurdians you fought back in the Grüwian Silver Mine, or to put it another way only slightly shorter than a regular sized dwarf such as yourself.
Salmonsters are brutish, unsentient beasts that plague the Civilized Lands along the River Ennui, although their numbers swell in late autumn.

You have made an effort to make good time, and that has been paying off, but has left your group tired. You have kept your horses saddled over night and mostly slept in your armour, but your heavy pack and camping gear has all been unpacked to let said horses rest.

[ITEC Battlefield Summary]

The rock is impassable terrain whilst the trees constrict movement and block ranged attacks.
Fighting in the dark is difficult, but you have your torch and camp fire to rely on for light. You could easily light another one should you so desire.
Kvelars hand-crossbow has a range of 6 tiles, although he will have trouble hitting anything in the dark. Khamis chains have [01 reach], meaning he can attack an enemy one tile further away than [melée].
Every other weapon at hand has a range of [meleé].

--

1: The Salmonsters advance! Soon they will be upon you!
Kvelar has encountered these things before; they will likely be satisfied with your horses lest the smell of blood drive them into a murderfrenzy.
They aren't especially tough but they have wicked claws and sharp, needle like teeth. They will attempt to grapple their prey and drag it into the river, whereupon they will devour it. They show no fear and have no other motivations.

What do you do?

A: Plan Kvelar
Fight! Kvelar will attempt to hold them of whilst you rouse the sleeping forms of Abigail and Khami to battle.

B: Plan Thorgrim
Fight! Hope the others wake up on their own, you and Kvelar will stand firm against this onslaught!

C: Plan Horsebait
Leave the horses to their fishy fate. Kvelar is confident the monsters will ignore you and your gear if you run away, hide, and wait for them to slaughter your horses.
Without horses your travel time will increase by several orders of magnitude as you lug around all your gear on your own. If you weren't relatively close to Braav already it might just be better to wait for the rest of your crew to catch up, rather than continue on foot.

D: Plan Skedaddle in the Saddle
Leave your gear behind. Most of the loot you found in Grüw is with the other group, but you have at least [01 wealth] worth of random bits and bobs to make your life easier on the road. Rations, tents, torches, rope. Everything an adventurer might need.
Note: There is no guarantee you will make it to the horses before the Salmonsters will.

E: Something else?
What? Write-in.

---

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good.
You are unhurt. You are somewhat rested. Your armour has been pierced by claw and javelin and requires basic maintenance. [You feel weird.][You feel pressed for time.] You fight with Axe and Shield.
Kvelar: Is unhurt. He is tired. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a hand-crossbow as well.
Khami: Is unhurt. He is asleep. Fights with iron chains. His armour requires only minute maintenance.
Abigail: Is unhurt. She is asleep. Her armour requires light maintenance. Fights with a quarterstaff and audacious tenacity.

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: Wake the others! Quickly, before we are overwhelmed!
Abigail: Zzzz
Khami: ZzZzzzzz

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 21, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I want to believe that the sound of battle will rouse them to wakefullness by itself, but I don't want to run the risk.

Let's take the prudent option. A: Plan Kvelar

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

D. One gold is a decent price to get out of a bad fight, we can restock in town.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

D

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Remember, they are brutish, uncivilized beasts, and pack hunters at that. I'll bet that they won't stick around to fight should one or two of their numbers fall.