Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lol the loving irony, probated permanently by white magic.

"This guy is racist" some guy

"No he's not" granwizardhitler420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

/r/starcitizen is full of people 'asking questions' today.
2.4 is breaking the citizen's psyche. CIG needs to act quickly and release another hype trailer. Maybe footage of a ship flying across a PG-planet and then landing on the surface, or maybe an upcoming ship landing on a new space station.

230 comments questioning crobert's immersion animations. Citizens are questioning the vision. This can not stand.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We never did get told how many NDA signers are out there either. I'm guessing 150, if there are that many left playing. That was a seriously small "test group" statistic thing. Oh, and you would think that working on a patcher would take priority in say THE FIRST GOD drat THING TO DO", but I don't know about game development.

I feel grief.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

boviscopophobic posted:

I know that's just a rhetorical question, and also this answer is comparing apples to oranges, but a bit over 120K citizens have nominally been added since early February. Of that, just quickly eyeballing the chart, I'd guess that about 30-40K of them were brought in specifically by the free fly events. I have not seen evidence of significant short-term increases in funding based on increases in citizen count.

One thing we can't see is... how many of them bought a package and/or have actually STUCK around....

I'm guessing the line goes STEEP.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lime Tonics posted:

We never did get told how many NDA signers are out there either. I'm guessing 150, if there are that many left playing. That was a seriously small "test group" statistic thing. Oh, and you would think that working on a patcher would take priority in say THE FIRST GOD drat THING TO DO", but I don't know about game development.

I feel grief.

This fucktastic game makes the Rio Olympics look good.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Lime Tonics posted:

I feel grief.

I suck at math but they claim 94% participation. How many people would that be if say one person called in sick. Im guessing that dude was the 6%

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Medium to long term outlook for SC

FPS is already far along in development. Grenades just need to be set to 1 in the game files commando.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Maybe I'll give it a try...

I assume that Emperor hasn't gone the route of freeware yet?

Dunno. Let me check.

Can't tell, but I CAN tell it's not on Origin.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

When a MMO company starts to watch their bandwidth costs that is a canary in the coal mine. Might as well ask employees to conserve pens and paperclips at this point.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tokamak posted:

/r/starcitizen is full of people 'asking questions' today.
2.4 is breaking the citizen's psyche. CIG needs to act quickly and release another hype trailer. Maybe footage of a ship flying across a PG-planet and then landing on the surface, or maybe an upcoming ship landing on a new space station.

230 comments questioning crobert's immersion animations. Citizens are questioning the vision. This can not stand.

The official forums are somewhat frothy right now. A bunch of snarky comments. Leave it to Roberts to specify a monthly period and when the patches don't bleed folks get antsy.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Wise Learned Man posted:

Everybody think good thoughts for my little kitty, Boudicca, who has to spend the night at the vet because of diarrhea and a fever :(

Stay safe, little commando

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:siren::siren::siren: comparisons to Freelancer and Elite are getting positive karma.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Rudager posted:

This poll is hilarious, nice split on the yes/no to make it, but a big "gently caress No" to paying for it.

Didn't they already do a Star Citizen movie?

"Battlefield Earth".......

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember the time Chris Roberts made a commercial for ah gently caress it heres a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF19jYDzwqk

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

I won't be immersed unless every player is forced to pilot their ship manually via Surgeon Simulator hands.

I won't be immersed unless ever player has QWOP control over individual eyeballs and eyelids.
I want to feel the pain of flying crosseyed while blinking like Sandi.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

Maybe footage of a ship flying across a PG-planet

Parental guidance planet?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Remember the time Chris Roberts made a commercial for ah gently caress it heres a link

we're building game of such scale and scope that noone's tried to do at this fidelity level before

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

Medium to long term outlook for SC

FPS is already far along in development. Grenades just need to be set to 1 in the game files commando.

quote:

FPS is a surprisingly mature aspect of the game... it just needs things to do

This empty acre of land is a surprisingly mature aspect of the building... it just needs some things to contain stuff... Like walls, and a foundation, and windows, maybe a roof too.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

procedural generation, it's the hot new buzzword.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

procedural generation, it's the hot new buzzword.

It needs physicalization.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
2 weeks

Until the 18 months stipulated in ToS expires

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

Ben's World.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Gamasutra: Money for Nothing - Gamers & The Buyers of Virtual Assets

quote:

"Video gaming has evolved from a single-player platform to a multi-player realm where interaction with other players is often a necessity. In order to enter the game, players must first create an avatar, a representation of their self in the game that is used to explore and interact with the virtual environment. When creating an avatar, players can also buy virtual assets to augment and/or enhance their online character (i.e., items or customisations for video game avatars, bases, and characters that are purchased with real money).

In a previous article, I looked at some of the anecdotal evidence that claimed a few individuals had become ‘addicted’ to buying virtual assets. At the time I wrote that article, there was almost nothing published academically on the psychology of virtual assets and why people bought virtual assets. Recently, Jack Cleghorn and I published a qualitative paper in the journal Digital Education Review based on our interviews with gamers that regularly bought virtual assets and this blog looks at some of those findings.

For researchers, the buying of virtual assets provides an opportunity to try and understand why people become so immersed in games and what motivates gamers to spend real money on items that some would consider as having no value. In a multi-player environment, it becomes clear that the avatars seen on screen are graphical representations of someone real and may be part of human desires to be noticed, respected, and interacted with. Furthermore the gamer controlling their avatar has motivations, emotions, thoughts, and feelings. Virtual item purchases are therefore likely to impact on a gamer’s psychological wellbeing."

Full article worth reading, especially any CIG employees here trying to figure out the right feature mix for 2.5. We know how badly the bosses want to pry open those backer wallets. Tap into that gambling instincts and you can squeeze them for what little remains of their hard earned cash!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

sincx posted:

How are they still able to make payroll?

Payroll hasn't been canceled. It's just delayed (indefinitely).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

You know, I forgot Star Citizen existed for a while after the thread was closed but before all this. A subforum and 13k new posts, how pleasing.

Decrepus posted:

Ahaha who thought filming Croberts walking from behind was a good idea? His body anatomy is literally that of Humpty Dumpty.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 18, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

JazzPaws posted:

Didn't they already do a Star Citizen movie?

"Battlefield Earth".......
Nah.... Lost in Space. It has Oldman in it.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Payroll hasn't been canceled. It's just delayed (indefinitely).

Payroll is being refactored, we expect the check pipeline to be done soon then future deposits will be done at the highest of fidelity.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
cig-workers will finally get paid in the US; expect the Austin team to be let go immediately because :money: Thanks Obama.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/05/17/email-president-obama-ive-got-news-you-overtime

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

WebDog posted:

Nah.... Lost in Space. It has Oldman in it.

Oh yes indeed...

PAAARRRRP in Space...

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

*makes Italian chef kissin' fingertips motion*

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

too good to leave on the discord:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I said that 2.4 would never be released because it's such a disaster it would be the ELE on its own. Hours later 2.4 went out to the NDA'd testers, and I thought I ate poo poo on my prediction. That was almost 3 weeks ago. I'm now leaning back toward my original assessment that it will only be released if they have no other choice but to release it, and it will be the stick that breaks the back of the community. At this point, they are only desperately flailing to buy time.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
On Ben's wheeze-around of the new LA office I recall seeing maybe a few dozen people? Have there ever been indications of the Frankfurt crew being sizeable? Obviously there's that photo of several dozen people at Foundry 42 but that makes sense considering Squadron 42 is the only thing the company's really working on.

Overall it seems likely they have far fewer employees than claimed. It'd certainly explain their longevity despite Chris' profligate Hollywood director tendencies.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

Star Citizen - Desperately Flailing to Buy Time

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

From alleged Evocati testers: The issue that broke the servers early last week, still on and CIG seems not able to correct it so far.

From where I suspect not much testing is going on at the moment.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

There is literally only a $5 difference between the latest two points on this graph.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

boviscopophobic posted:

There is literally only a $5 difference between the latest two points on this graph.

Totally normal. In fact, I would say that happens ALL the time.*

*if you're faking poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

boviscopophobic posted:

You know it's never explicitly stated those are US dollars :tinfoil:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You know it's never explicitly stated those are US dollars :tinfoil:

If it's Zimbabwe dollars this game is never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these rogue systems.

Have you tried grabbing the millennium Falcons feathers?

• Locked thread