Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if this is the correct thread or not but I'm getting bored of game of thrones because i don't like magic stuff and it's starting to incorporate more and more; my eye is being drawn to Rome now; is it actually "historically based" or is it highly fantasized rome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Watch Vikings. Because Vikings is loving awesome.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spartacus. Its wonderfully written. Also so many decapitations. Rome too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should probably say the less violent the better, I liked the politics side of GoT :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not really sure if this is the right thread or if anyone can help but i just watched the hawaii episode of anthony bourdain parts unknown and want to know what the ending song was

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well definitely not Spartacus then. Have you seen Deadwood yet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vikings has a lot of politics of sorts in it. So do Rome and Spartacus, but those shows are much more violent being premium cable shows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShakeZula posted:

Well definitely not Spartacus then. Have you seen Deadwood yet?

Yeah really enjoyed Deadwood and that sense of dread in the first season. Never watched the other two seasons. Carnivale is one of my fav shows also. I'll check out Vikings though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's plenty of magic in Carnivale

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah really enjoyed Deadwood and that sense of dread in the first season. Never watched the other two seasons. Carnivale is one of my fav shows also. I'll check out Vikings though.

You should really watch those last two seasons of Deadwood.

Edit: And also maybe check out Black Sails.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

Mu Zeta posted:

I should've clarified, dragons and that horse poo poo. Spiritualism and horror isn't "magic" in my book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Abu Dave posted:

I should've clarified, dragons and that horse poo poo. Spiritualism and horror isn't "magic" in my book.

I'm like you that I don't really like fantasy stuff, it's why I never started watching that show in the first place. Vikings has some cool stuff with Norse mythology where it kind of rides the line of it being real stuff but for the most part it keeps it believable where you're never sure whether it's real or in the minds of the characters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Carnival has magic, but yes, it's not Game of the Throne of the Rings.

Vikings has visions and stuff but it easily could just be the characters being insane. No magical resurrection spells or rings of +10 fire resistance.

Rome has no magic.

Aphrodite posted:

His latest ones aren't comedies.
Do current 14 year olds like the last comedy Kevin Smith made?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 17, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Carnivale doesn't have much in the way of political theatre and the magic in it exists in the form of a dynasty of intertwined family lines that exist to counter each other up to the point where mankind trades in magic for knowledge. (spoilery if you don't want to know the premise of the show I guess?) God I need to rewatch Carnivale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Carnivale is loving good and makes me wonder if they ever found Nick Staas or w/e his name is because he was legitametly missing for while

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Abu Dave posted:

Carnivale is loving good and makes me wonder if they ever found Nick Staas or w/e his name is because he was legitametly missing for while

He's still around and in and out of rehab apparently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Rome like 9 years go by between some episodes and nobody ages, ever.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought Blindspot was a pretty silly concept when it first started, and it has certainly had many moments of stupidity, but I do like how they've layered in so many things early on which have come back to pay off at the end. Lots of good foreshadowing and some pretty good twists. "She's under the fort."

I've wanted to dump this show like 4 or 5 times, and it just goes more over the top with twists every time. It's so bad and I'll never stop watching it. I love it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I should probably say the less violent the better, I liked the politics side of GoT :shrug:

The British version of House of Cards then? West Wing? The Wire. The Thick of It. I've heard good things about Borgen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah but in that period was what I was looking for. Seen the wire and the thick of it, love the latter alot.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Mu Zeta posted:

In Rome like 9 years go by between some episodes and nobody ages, ever.

Octavian :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want more Game of Thrones without magic then check out The White Queen. There's an explicit version on Starz and a babby BBC version without tits. It's about the battle for the throne of England between House Lancaster and House York. It's just one short season so it's a quick watch. It's basically a prequel to The Tudors on Showtime now that I think about it. Except that it doesn't suck.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm watching old SNLs and Justin Timberlake is in all the sketches when Jimmy Fallon hosted. They didn't trust Fallon to carry the show so they got Timberlake back to be a secret host.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

If you want more Game of Thrones without magic then check out The White Queen. There's an explicit version on Starz and a babby BBC version without tits. It's about the battle for the throne of England between House Lancaster and House York. It's just one short season so it's a quick watch. It's basically a prequel to The Tudors on Showtime now that I think about it. Except that it doesn't suck.

Hmm ill check it out, thanks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Rome has no magic.

Rome has magic but not in the way you think; every prayer or curse by the gods in the series comes true/happens/is answered.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm watching old SNLs and Justin Timberlake is in all the sketches when Jimmy Fallon hosted. They didn't trust Fallon to carry the show so they got Timberlake back to be a secret host.

Timberlake is legit good at comedy/acting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

Timberlake is legit good at comedy/acting.
Yeah, he's great and a good SNL host. I'm glad they got him to host the episode where Jimmy Fallon hosts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fallon is legit not good. At anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Rome has magic but not in the way you think; every prayer or curse by the gods in the series comes true/happens/is answered.

I would say the Julii were not punished.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I heard he was good at drinking.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

His Tonight Show is excellent actually. Don't worry, I get it. I hated his whole run on SNL and his Late Night was only good if the guest was funny for a while but he's really found his groove. His writers aren't super strong but it's a lot of fun and when they hit, they hit.

smg77 posted:

I heard he was good at drinking.

Also horribly injuring his hands/fingers (could be related).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know if this is the correct thread or not but I'm getting bored of game of thrones because i don't like magic stuff and it's starting to incorporate more and more; my eye is being drawn to Rome now; is it actually "historically based" or is it highly fantasized rome?

It's pretty historically accurate in terms of style, costumes, sets, behaviour etc. even the names of Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were taken from a mention by Caesar. They had to condense a lot of time in season 2 though, that's why you have a new Octavian actor for example.
They invented and changed a lot of stuff in the personal relationship department though, some stuff could probably be right out of Lives of Famous Whores (like who's really Cesarion's father ;)). Overall a clear recommendation, the atmosphere and design is incredible, especially considering it was done before the big historical drama hype.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 18, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

His Tonight Show is excellent actually. Don't worry, I get it. I hated his whole run on SNL and his Late Night was only good if the guest was funny for a while but he's really found his groove. His writers aren't super strong but it's a lot of fun and when they hit, they hit.

Also horribly injuring his hands/fingers (could be related).

I honestly don't see how he brings anything to the table. His staff seems to have fun and I guess the guests like it too but I'm watching it and I don't get it at all. But yeah Justin Timberlake is legitimately a funny guy and a good host. Hire him instead.

Like imagine Jimmy Fallon going to Korea or Cuba like Conan did. Nobody would have given a poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished my Mr Show rewatch yesterday and it's kind of weird going back and seeing people who were just bit players back then. Like how in season 3 Scott Aukerman is there and is mostly in non-speaking roles but then in season 4 he gets some bigger parts like the taint model. Also in season 4 Scott Adsit shows up and apparently he just doesn't age because he looks pretty much exactly the same. The weirdest random spotting though is in the restaurant sketch on the last episode one of the restaurant patron extras is Patton Oswalt.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this? posted:

Like how in season 3 Scott Aukerman is there and is mostly in non-speaking roles but then in season 4 he gets some bigger parts like the taint model.

It's insane, that guy's taint!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Also in season 4 Scott Adsit shows up and apparently he just doesn't age because he looks pretty much exactly the same.

Some guys start looking middle-aged in their 20's. John Hamm's face has pretty much looked the same since 1996 (though his haircut is much better now).

And then on the flip side you have Joel McHale:

That's not a recent photo though, that's from the early 90s. When he was in his 20s. Hooray for hair transplants!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scott Aukerman looks a lot better now because he lost weight. He wasn't really fat back then but he was kind of pudgy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

lelandjs posted:

Some guys start looking middle-aged in their 20's. John Hamm's face has pretty much looked the same since 1996 (though his haircut is much better now).

And then on the flip side you have Joel McHale:

That's not a recent photo though, that's from the early 90s. When he was in his 20s. Hooray for hair transplants!

See Also: Jeremy Piven.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I would say the Julii were not punished.

Caesar croaks and the curse on Atia with Servillia offing herself (Curse this woman! Send her bitterness and despair for all of her life. Let her taste nothing but ashes and iron.) comes true after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He said he hadn't seen it!

• Locked thread