Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Are the monsters' heads physically smaller when they hang on the saddle? I'm pretty sure the Shrieker's head looked way bigger before I cut it off. Not that it really matters, just a small detail that has been bugging me a bit.

Also thanks to loving up my saves I now have two weeks two finish the main game + HoS again before B&W launches and dear god I'll never make it. Why is this game so loving huge?
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Nice, that's almost my build too. I just use the Ursine chest piece and then some attack power gear in the other slots, the chest piece covers almost all of it anyway so i don't look like a leveling WoW character.

Oh, good point. The Ursine chest piece is the important one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm the freak who dislikes the ursine skirt, so I got a mod that only keeps the near armor torso

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Palpek posted:

Ronvid should have been a returning character into the endgame :argh:.

Slashrat posted:

I can see it now. You're facing down the king of the wild hunt and have him on the ropes, then Ronvid jumps in outta nowhere, kicks the king aside and challenges you to another duel.

Ronvid says he's proving his worth to the maid Bilberry, but there's a note on one of the notice boards from parents which write their four year old daughter named Bilberry died and details where she is laid to rest for anyone who wants to pay respects.

Sure, there can be more than one person with the same name, but maybe Ronvid is just a father driven crazy by grief.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Konsek posted:

Ronvid says he's proving his worth to the maid Bilberry, but there's a note on one of the notice boards from parents which write their four year old daughter named Bilberry died and details where she is laid to rest for anyone who wants to pay respects.

Sure, there can be more than one person with the same name, but maybe Ronvid is just a father driven crazy by grief.
Geez I missed that, so he's essentially playing suicide by Geralt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

Cool, that's what I was hoping for.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for both light and strong attack damage and crit chance--I like switching it up too much to pick one style over the other--along with maybe Whirl and some Adrenaline Point abilities, with Acquired Tolerance + Synergy, Melt Armor, Delusion, and maybe Cat School Techniques. I really love the way the Ursine armor looks, but the attack power bonus from the Feline armor is really nice, and I'm guessing I'll get armor I might want to use over both in the DLCs.

Is there actually armor/swords in HoS that's better than witcher gear, or can I beat it easily with my master crafted ursine set and not worry about new loot?

I'm wondering the same thing about blood and wine but of course nobody would actually know that yet I suppose

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I swear to god, I literally just dropped 75 bucks on the bundle over the weekend and it's less than 50 today. I have about 10 hours played so they probably wont refund but I guess it's worth a shot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Levantine posted:

I swear to god, I literally just dropped 75 bucks on the bundle over the weekend and it's less than 50 today. I have about 10 hours played so they probably wont refund but I guess it's worth a shot.

Yeah I ended up buying a base copy of The Witcher 3 today when I saw it for $25 on Steam. I'll get around to buying the two "main" DLC later on down the road when they're discounted by more than 10%--and there's plenty of time since I still have the first two games to get through. I guess I could have waited until after I beat the first games and TW3 was on sale for like $10, but to hell with patience.

I know I'd really like these games but I've had issues getting into the first installment--I've gotten as far as confronting the big Barghest, but it really doesn't "grab" me. Third time's a charm though, right?

With that in mind, do people have any particular mods for Witcher 1 that they feel improves the game for them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Konsek posted:

Well great, you just made me sad.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Is the art book/soundtrack bundle limited to the current special offer? Because that is some lame poo poo right there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone remember when this scene is in the game? I can't remember it and i think would have remembered seeing Ciri this sad. Saw it in a old trailer for the game.

Is it at (main quest spoiler) Vesemirs funeral?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know I'd really like these games but I've had issues getting into the first installment--I've gotten as far as confronting the big Barghest, but it really doesn't "grab" me. Third time's a charm though, right?

With that in mind, do people have any particular mods for Witcher 1 that they feel improves the game for them?

The first one has REALLY not aged well. I've never finished it, but I did finish 2 which was quite good.

I honestly recommend skipping to Assassin of Kings. Witcher 1 is practically non-canon with the character personalities anyways.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The first one has REALLY not aged well. I've never finished it, but I did finish 2 which was quite good.

I honestly recommend skipping to Assassin of Kings. Witcher 1 is practically non-canon with the character personalities anyways.

Yep, this. Witcher 1 was super rough even in its heyday and it sure as poo poo doesn't play well now. I played Witcher 2 right at the release of 3 of it's still quite excellent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just read up on Witcher 1 and then download a save game of your choice to import into Witcher 2

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Can anyone remember when this scene is in the game? I can't remember it and i think would have remembered seeing Ciri this sad. Saw it in a old trailer for the game.

Is it at (main quest spoiler) Vesemirs funeral?

That little spark of flame sure looks like it's from a funeral pyre

Here's the scene, she starts crying at about 2min - I can't find the exact frame though, it's maddening - removed because I dont know how to undo the imbedding poo poo.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a save for the PC game right where I left off on PS4 (right after Baron, middle of Keira quests) :woop:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Trailer probably has a different angle/set than the one that was used in the finished game.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe don't embed the spoiler video?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe don't embed the spoiler video?

I dont know how or why that's happening so I just removed it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Nice, thanks for the advice, folks. Gonna skip to Witcher 2 then!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nice, thanks for the advice, folks. Gonna skip to Witcher 2 then!

One thing Witcher 1 does very well though give you a very solid world building experience. It really does well in establishing a baseline experience for how the Witcher world reacts to Geralt and the overall tone of conflict. What Witchers are, where they come from, the conflict between the Elves and Humans and the introduction of Geralts social circle. Since the story stars with Geralt having amnesia the player does learn about all of this at the same pace as Geralt does whereas starting off in Witcher 2 or 3 can be jarring I think since you haven't really built any personal connections with the cast.

For example witcher 1 starts off with the siege of the Witcher's castle and when you first come back to it in Witcher 3, it felt like coming home. The main branching choice you have to make in the Witcher 2 and how you feel about it can be heavily influenced by how you feel about these factions after learning about them and interacting with them in the first game.

By all means you can skip the first game in terms of playing it but I would highly recommend watching a lets play. The game is very rough, poorly paced at times but it does a very good job as a table setter.

edit: Its a big shame they aren't considering a remaster of Witcher 1. I feel there is a lot of great content there that is blocked off by a mediocre game.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 18, 2016

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Witcher 1 is worth playing, it's still my favorite in the series. And you can get it for basically nothing when it's on sale.

It is definitely rough around the edges but has atmosphere in spades, the two other games don't even come close in this regard I think. Vizima is still my favorite city in a 3d RPG by far. It also has the best soundtrack by far.

When I replayed it a few months back I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. On the contrary, I thought Witcher 2 was a real slog with pretty much nothing at all going for it except for the story (which is really nice). All that game I just felt like I was waiting for the moment where it would actually become fun but there are so many tedious moments in that game that just get in the way of it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would say that seeing as Witcher 1 is on sale for 85% off which makes it cheaper than a cup of coffee (probably) that it would be worth taking a punt on it.
Try it and if you're not feeling it then watch a let's play or a recap video. You never know, you might actually find its jankiness charming rather than annoying.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah, when I replayed Witcher 2 before the release of 3, I went through it with a mod that gives you 2 talent points on level up rather than 1. It makes it a bit more fun having access to more abilities and speeds up the boring sections quite well. So if you don't mind cheating there's always that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The biggest strike against the first game is its weird and boring rhythm based combat. Just fighting your way through a quest feels like the most tedious grind.

That and the weird sex cards.

If there's some trainer that speeds up mostly automates combat it would probably be worth revisiting as a giant Telltale style adventure game + cool environment exploration.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

I AM BRAWW posted:

Where are the best places to find Mandrake Cordial and Cherry Cordial to make White Gull?

Also, what enemies around Novigrad can be farmed for Red Mutagens? I have a fuckton of Greater Green/Blues, but only some Werewolf and basic reds...

A merchant was added in around 1.06??? that accommodates our alcoholic needs, you can find him at the square where the witch got burned up in Novigrad.

The merchant is unmarked, but look for a fish merchant looking guy and he has around 15-20 MC and CC.

Oh, and for red mutagens, kill the bug warrior thingys, like ducks.

Johnnyonoes fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2016

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Playing the Witcher 1?

Cons:
- Combat is braindead unless you turn off the timing icons to make it harder.
- Quest scripting is pretty janky in places.
- Will be difficult coming back to this UI if you played W2 or W3.
- Shani's piece-of-poo poo grandma.
- Dandelion's singing, a.k.a. aural sodomy.
- Old Geralt model looks like a perpetually bored dirtbag.

Pros:
- Will show you a real man's balls.
- Ah fooked a she-elf once!
- Thaler.
- Kalkstein.
- Old Geralt model looks like a perpetually bored dirtbag.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 18, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
W1 Geralt looks like someone who posts at return of kings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Weirdly, after everybody's feedback, I spent all evening with a fresh and final attempt at Witcher 1 (it was already installed and I had a save with 2 or 3 hours on it) and...it's not as dull as I remember it being the last couple of attempts? There's a lot of jank, and the combat is especially tedious, but can actually see where people might recommend it simply for the background to the subsequent games. Plus I'm really excited to collect all of these sex cards and then sort of stare at them from time to time (as I imagine Geralt does when he's Witchering). It's a conquest thing, really--like another form of collecting Drowner heads.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Plus I'm really excited to collect all of these sex cards and then sort of stare at them from time to time (as I imagine Geralt does when he's Witchering). It's a conquest thing, really--like another form of collecting Drowner heads.
I hope that you're playing the uncensored version for that at least.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The first area of the Witcher 1 is probably the dullest part of the game (except maybe the swamp in Act II but at least you can back and forth between that and fantastic Vizima).

I think Witcher 1 has many other good points as well. Alchemy, meditation and the way it ties in with reading books is a lot better I think. Personally I also prefer the Witcher 1 UI but to each his own. Some of the questing indeed feels a bit too ambitious for what they were able to accomplish but it's a shame that the other games didn't really attempt anything like the complexity of the Vizima Confidential quest.

And again, the music... I was so disappointed that they had gone with a different composer when Witcher 2 rolled around. The Witcher 1 music was just... perfect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Weirdly, after everybody's feedback, I spent all evening with a fresh and final attempt at Witcher 1 (it was already installed and I had a save with 2 or 3 hours on it) and...it's not as dull as I remember it being the last couple of attempts? There's a lot of jank, and the combat is especially tedious, but can actually see where people might recommend it simply for the background to the subsequent games. Plus I'm really excited to collect all of these sex cards and then sort of stare at them from time to time (as I imagine Geralt does when he's Witchering). It's a conquest thing, really--like another form of collecting Drowner heads.

i unironically prefer the sex cards to the blank eyed bioware grapplefests, because they seem like someone involved with their creation miiiiight once have had sex.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Witcher 1 did some things right like the idea behind the combat stances, how you use the potions and oils, meditation and the skill tree was pretty cool too. It was overall the closest to books when it comes to how being a Witcher feels like. However the worldbuilding and character development was all over the place, in the long run the combat was tedious and many environments were really bad. CDPR lifted many dialogues straight from the books how they pleased and gave them to different characters here and there so the quality of the writing was weird. There was also overall clunkiness to the game - it felt like a typical Eastern European title with too much ambition compared to its budget.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

sebmojo posted:

i unironically prefer the sex cards to the blank eyed bioware grapplefests, because they seem like someone involved with their creation miiiiight once have had sex.

As much as they're still video game sex scenes, the witcher is really good at making it look like two people who are actually into each other.

Palpek posted:

The Witcher 1 did some things right like the idea behind the combat stances, how you use the potions and oils, meditation and the skill tree was pretty cool too. It was overall the closest to books when it comes to how being a Witcher feels like. However the worldbuilding and character development was all over the place, in the long run the combat was tedious and many environments were really bad. CDPR lifted many dialogues straight from the books how they pleased and gave them to different characters here and there so the quality of the writing was weird. There was also overall clunkiness to the game - it felt like a typical Eastern European title with too much ambition compared to its budget.

I loved it but i also loved vanilla STALKER so i think i just have a thing for janky cyrillic games or something

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

megalodong posted:

As much as they're still video game sex scenes, the witcher is really good at making it look like two people who are actually into each other.

I loved it but i also loved vanilla STALKER so i think i just have a thing for janky cyrillic games or something

Poland uses the roman alphabet.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Witcher 1 is far from perfect, but I'd still recommend going through it at least once. Also makes meeting certain groups and people (The Order, Thaler, Shani...) in Witcher 3 a lot more interesting when you actually know who the hell they are.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 18, 2016

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Seconding the folks recommending TW1 if only just for the story. Jumping into TW3 without any prior knowledge felt like starting on the last book of the lord of the rings trilogy for me and I quit a few hours in because the overwhelming amount of story right of the bat. Just ploughed through TW1 and started on TW2 and things I remember from TW3 start to make sense now.

For some reason, the potion brewing in TW1 was more readable than in the sequels so I actually know what most of them do now.

Also, I'd recommend the Return of the White Wolf (or whatever it's called) mod. I don't know what it adds content-wise but it makes the menues a bit more bearable.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I tried twice back in the day to get into Witcher 1, having bought it more or less on release. I think I put about 15 hours into each attempt, one of which was after the Enhanced Edition, and in both attempts I gave up in the swamp in Chapter 2. The writing, voice acting, gameplay, quest design is all just... not very good, I think. I love Witcher 2 though, and I think it preps you sufficiently for Witcher 3 without playing through the first one. Yeah, there'll be a couple of characters in Witcher 3 who you're meeting for the first time if you haven't played Witcher 1, but the same goes for if you haven't read the books. I think it does a fine job of feeling like a pre-existing world and setting but also making it accessible to new people.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The swamps is easily the worst part of the game, even if the investigation is actually really cool and a hugely open-ended quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I love Witcher 1, it's the king of atmosphere and a true diamond in the rough. This song makes me want to replay the whole thing again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw

On the other hand I thought Witcher 2 was kind of dull because it focused so much on unrelatable fantasy politics and not enough on the comfy countryside and subversive fairytale stories.

Luckily Witcher 3 was the best of both worlds.